Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,200,683 members, 7,975,609 topics. Date: Tuesday, 15 October 2024 at 09:18 AM

Sen.Ubah, Ekwunife & Oduah Make Case For Erosion Menace In Anambra State - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Sen.Ubah, Ekwunife & Oduah Make Case For Erosion Menace In Anambra State (186 Views)

The Gistlover Blog And The Social Media Menace - Arakunrin Ayoola Faseyi / How Gov Willie Obiano Saved Nnewi Community From Erosion Menace / Sen. Ubah, Gov. Obiano, others condoles APGA Chairman, Ike Oye over his daughter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Sen.Ubah, Ekwunife & Oduah Make Case For Erosion Menace In Anambra State by grassrootsig: 5:53pm On Jul 18, 2019
*ECOLOGICAL FUND OFFICE AND NATIONAL EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT AGENCY (NEMA) TO VISIT 100 FOOT ROAD NNEWI EROSION SITE, EKWULOBIA-OKO-UMUNZE-IBINTA ROAD, AGULU-NANKA GULLY EROSION SITE, NNAMDI AZIKIWE UNIVERSITY (AWKA AND NNEWI CAMPUSES) AS WELL AS UMUEZE EROSION SITE UGA-AGUATA AND OTHERS.*

*....as Senator Uche Ekwunife, Stella Oduah and myself make case for erosion*ECOLOGICAL FUND OFFICE AND NATIONAL EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT AGENCY (NEMA) TO VISIT 100 FOOT ROAD NNEWI EROSION SITE, EKWULOBIA-OKO-UMUNZE-IBINTA ROAD, AGULU-NANKA GULLY EROSION SITE, NNAMDI AZIKIWE UNIVERSITY (AWKA AND NNEWI CAMPUSES) AS WELL AS UMUEZE EROSION SITE UGA-AGUATA AND OTHERS.*

*....as Senator Uche Ekwunife, Stella Oduah and myself make case for erosion menace in Anambra.*

Today being Thursday, July 18, 2019, I co-sponsored a motion presented by Senator Uche Ekwunife of Anambra Central on the “Devastating storm in Obosi, Nkpor and Oraukwu communities of Anambra State.

The motion which noted with deep concern, the devastating storm that storm place during the weekend at Obosi, Nkpor Oraukwu Communities in Idemili North LGA of Anambra State which destroyed a lot of homes and rendered residents of that area homeless. Shops, markets, roads and properties worth billions of Naira were destroyed. The residents were forced to flee and take refuge in neighboring towns and villages.

Having identified Anambra State as the worst hit South Eastern State by the erosion menace with over 1000 active erosion sites existing in the state, the motion also noted that unless immediate steps are taken to control the widening erosion gullies, the residents of the communities will continue to be exposed to greater risk of loss of life and properties.

The motion raised further concerns about recent reports and studies indicating that over 20% of the total landmass of Anambra State is being devastated by flooding and gully erosion.

Desirous of taking immediate remedial measures to check the scourge of this erosion menace in affected communities, Senator Ekwunife presented two prayers urging the Senate to:

1. Request the Ecological Fund Office to immediately visit the affected areas, provide remedy and advance solutions to this erosion menace.

2. Direct the National Emergency Management Agency to provide relief materials and all other support as may be necessary to mitigate the damages suffered by these communities.

In contribution to Senator Ekwunife’s motion,
I commended her for sponsoring a very detailed and apt motion which could not have come at a better time than now. However, I reminded the hallowed chamber that last week I made mention of the biggest motorcycle and auto parts market in West Africa; Nkwo Nnewi market which is situated along 100 Foot Road Nnewi in a neighboring Senatorial zone next to that of Senator Ekwunife. I noted with worry that the market is currently threatened by the same erosion menace, thereby forcing traders to offload their containers far away from their warehouses/shops, leaving them with no other option than to use wheelbarrows to convey their goods to the market as a result of the erosion stricken road.

I humbly requested the addition of a prayer requesting a delegation from the Ecological Fund Office to be sent down to Anambra South to have a firsthand view and assessment of: *100 Foot Road Nnewi erosion site, Ekwulobia- Oko-Umunze- Ibinta Road, Agulu-Nanka gully erosion site, Nnamdi Azikiwe University (Awka and Nnewi campuses) as well as Umueze erosion site Uga-Aguata and others* to witness the deplorable state of infrastructure and untold suffering men and women go through as a result of the pervasive erosion menace.

The Senate accordingly adopted the prayers of the motion and also resolved to send a delegation from the Ecological Fund Office and National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) down to Anambra Central, South and North to visit areas struck by the erosion to witness the severity of damage caused by erosion so as to mobilize funds, technical assistance and expertise required to tackle the problem. menace in Anambra.*

Today being Thursday, July 18, 2019, I co-sponsored a motion presented by Senator Uche Ekwunife of Anambra Central on the “Devastating storm in Obosi, Nkpor and Oraukwu communities of Anambra State.

The motion which noted with deep concern, the devastating storm that storm place during the weekend at Obosi, Nkpor Oraukwu Communities in Idemili North LGA of Anambra State which destroyed a lot of homes and rendered residents of that area homeless. Shops, markets, roads and properties worth billions of Naira were destroyed. The residents were forced to flee and take refuge in neighboring towns and villages.

Having identified Anambra State as the worst hit South Eastern State by the erosion menace with over 1000 active erosion sites existing in the state, the motion also noted that unless immediate steps are taken to control the widening erosion gullies, the residents of the communities will continue to be exposed to greater risk of loss of life and properties.

The motion raised further concerns about recent reports and studies indicating that over 20% of the total landmass of Anambra State is being devastated by flooding and gully erosion.

Desirous of taking immediate remedial measures to check the scourge of this erosion menace in affected communities, Senator Ekwunife presented two prayers urging the Senate to:

1. Request the Ecological Fund Office to immediately visit the affected areas, provide remedy and advance solutions to this erosion menace.

2. Direct the National Emergency Management Agency to provide relief materials and all other support as may be necessary to mitigate the damages suffered by these communities.

In contribution to Senator Ekwunife’s motion,
I commended her for sponsoring a very detailed and apt motion which could not have come at a better time than now. However, I reminded the hallowed chamber that last week I made mention of the biggest motorcycle and auto parts market in West Africa; Nkwo Nnewi market which is situated along 100 Foot Road Nnewi in a neighboring Senatorial zone next to that of Senator Ekwunife. I noted with worry that the market is currently threatened by the same erosion menace, thereby forcing traders to offload their containers far away from their warehouses/shops, leaving them with no other option than to use wheelbarrows to convey their goods to the market as a result of the erosion stricken road.

I humbly requested the addition of a prayer requesting a delegation from the Ecological Fund Office to be sent down to Anambra South to have a firsthand view and assessment of: *100 Foot Road Nnewi erosion site, Ekwulobia- Oko-Umunze- Ibinta Road, Agulu-Nanka gully erosion site, Nnamdi Azikiwe University (Awka and Nnewi campuses) as well as Umueze erosion site Uga-Aguata and others* to witness the deplorable state of infrastructure and untold suffering men and women go through as a result of the pervasive erosion menace.

The Senate accordingly adopted the prayers of the motion and also resolved to send a delegation from the Ecological Fund Office and National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) down to Anambra Central, South and North to visit areas struck by the erosion to witness the severity of damage caused by erosion so as to mobilize funds, technical assistance and expertise required to tackle the problem.

(1) (Reply)

Forced Penetration: If A Woman Forces A Man To Have Sex, Is That Rape? / Young African Entrepreneurs Will Change Narrative About The Continent – Osinbaj / NABTEB Result

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.