Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,184,038 members, 7,922,518 topics. Date: Friday, 16 August 2024 at 08:59 AM

A Brief History Of Fulani Jihads - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A Brief History Of Fulani Jihads (2615 Views)

Lati Raheem Is Dead! Tinubu's ‘Most Trusted’ Aide Dies After A Brief Illness / Miyetti Allah Calls For Establishment Of Fulani Vigilantes In South East / Chike Clark Is Dead. Edwin Clarke's Son Dies After A Brief Illness (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Brief History Of Fulani Jihads by selemempe: 12:19am On Jul 19, 2019
The Fula (or Fulani) jihads (sometimes the Fulani revolution) were a series of jihadist wars that occurred across West Africa during the 18th and 19th centuries led largely by the Muslim Fula people. The jihads and the jihad states came to an end with European colonization.

The first uprising inspired by Islam took place in Futa Jalon in 1725, when Fula pastoralists, assisted by Muslim traders, rose against the indigenous chiefdoms still dominated by traditional religion. By 1750, the Fula had established an imamate and placed the region under sharia law. Their success inspired the Fula and Toucouleurs on the banks of the lower Senegal to establish their own imamate, Futa Toro, through a series of wars between 1769 and 1776.

In the early 19th century, the jihad movement spread eastward to the Hausa states. The result of a series of jihads begun in 1804 by the revolutionary Usman dan Fodio was the Sokoto Caliphate, the largest state in West Africa up to that time. An aggressively expansionist polity, it severely weakened the old Bornu Kingdom.

At the start of the 19th century Ilorin was a border town in the northeast of the Oyo Empire, with a mainly Yoruba population but with many Hausa and Fulani immigrants. It was the headquarters of an Oyo General, Afonja, who rebelled against the empire and helped bring about its collapse with the assistance of the Fulani. The rebellion was powered by Nupe and Bornu Moslem slaves. Afonja had been assisted by Salih Janta, also called Shehu Alimi, a leader of the local Fulani. In 1824 Afonja was assassinated and Alimi's son Abdusalami became Emir. Ilorin became an emirate of the Sokoto Caliphate.

Although religion was a motivator for the jihads, it may not have been the principal motivator over time; the Fula intended to produce the captives needed to sell as slaves to gain valuable imports from the coast.

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: A Brief History Of Fulani Jihads by selemempe: 12:22am On Jul 19, 2019
Does the bolded sound familiar? grin Are there some liberal muslims from the south making this same mistake of aiding ''fulani pastorialist'' to rise against the south?

3 Likes

Re: A Brief History Of Fulani Jihads by selemempe: 12:31am On Jul 19, 2019
Population of Fulanis in West Africa and Central Africa

Nigeria 15,311,000
Guinea 5,070,160
Senegal 3,182,300
Mali 2,870,000
Cameroon 2,344,000
Niger 2,046,330
Burkina Faso 1,920,050
Mauritania 916,113
Ghana 800,523
Benin 750,000
Guinea-Bissau 517,560
Gambia 491,399
Ivory Coast 479,000
Chad 352,580
Central African Republic 287,187
Sierra Leone 258,860
Sudan 211,000
Togo 111,000

2 Likes

Re: A Brief History Of Fulani Jihads by selemempe: 12:36am On Jul 19, 2019
The data above is omnious. Fulanis are the most wide spread ethnic group in Africa and 2nd most wide spread in the world after the British.

How do some of you fools think they came to be in all these countries? Through RUGA you insufferable twerps. How can you fools not see this?

The south has only one option now to fight with; Creation of State Police. If you stupid and weak southern leaders are reading this, this is the time to sponsor nation wide protests calling for the establishment of state police and the amendment of the constitution to enable states to equip their own police force.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Brief History Of Fulani Jihads by Nemesis909: 12:45am On Jul 19, 2019
How market on your 2019 election forecast?
Re: A Brief History Of Fulani Jihads by Yyeske(m): 12:45am On Jul 19, 2019
Instead of the OP to go and help us push them back, he's here writing epistles. E-warriors everywhere with their keyboards

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Brief History Of Fulani Jihads by selemempe: 12:53am On Jul 19, 2019
Yyeske:
Instead of the OP to go and help us push them back, he's here writing epistles. E-warriors everywhere with their keyboards
I am on ground...ready to lead the protest for the creation of state police

5 Likes

Re: A Brief History Of Fulani Jihads by Yyeske(m): 12:56am On Jul 19, 2019
selemempe:
I am on ground...ready to lead the protest for the creation of state police
I love that, date, time and venue please.

1 Like

Re: A Brief History Of Fulani Jihads by selemempe: 1:08am On Jul 19, 2019
Yyeske:
I love that, date, time and venue please.
can a yoruba muslim like you really lead a protest against the forceful spread of islam in nigeria? Be sincere bro

5 Likes

Re: A Brief History Of Fulani Jihads by TooMuchStuff: 1:21am On Jul 19, 2019
All we need now are weapons to cleanse the south of these roaches and bloodthirsty pests of herdsmen.
We the southern youths are ready....to go

Can anybody help??

4 Likes

Re: A Brief History Of Fulani Jihads by selemempe: 5:39am On Jul 19, 2019
TooMuchStuff:
All we need now are weapons to cleanse the south of these roaches and bloodthirsty pests of herdsmen.
We the southern youths are ready....to go

Can anybody help??
i think a state police is a better option....nobody will leave their biz and start carrying arms....only fulani will do that and if its wat u want, they will win u there.

Its time to start a sudan type of protest to call for the creation of state police. Chikena
Re: A Brief History Of Fulani Jihads by Yyeske(m): 5:41am On Jul 19, 2019
selemempe:
can a yoruba muslim like you really lead a protest against the forceful spread of islam in nigeria? Be sincere bro
I hate it when an Indonesian Buddhist follows me around, can't you mind Indonesia and her affairs?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Brief History Of Fulani Jihads by selemempe: 5:47am On Jul 19, 2019
Yyeske:
I hate it when an Indonesian Buddhist follows me around, can't you mind Indonesia and her affairs?
Answer the question bro...are yoruba muslims really worried about the ongoing fulani jihad or are they playing both sides. How can tinubu (the face of yoruba muslims), come out openly to accuse igbos of being behind the killing of the afenifere woman? When eye witnesses said the killers were fulani camped in the nearby bush.

It might be because yoruba muslims (just like middle belt muslims) are in support of islam spreading thru out nigeria anyhow

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Brief History Of Fulani Jihads by orisa37: 5:57am On Jul 19, 2019
So it is a complex trajedy for a privileged Fulani President to desire to sell Oduduwa Culture to this 18th Century uncivilised Slavery.

Doesn't he know what he is doing?
Re: A Brief History Of Fulani Jihads by Nobody: 6:16am On Jul 19, 2019
selemempe:
Population of Fulanis in West Africa and Central Africa

Nigeria 15,311,000
Guinea 5,070,160
Senegal 3,182,300
Mali 2,870,000
Cameroon 2,344,000
Niger 2,046,330
Burkina Faso 1,920,050
Mauritania 916,113
Ghana 800,523
Benin 750,000
Guinea-Bissau 517,560
Gambia 491,399
Ivory Coast 479,000
Chad 352,580
Central African Republic 287,187
Sierra Leone 258,860
Sudan 211,000
Togo 111,000

FULANIS ARE LESS THAN 7 MILLION IN NIGERIA

1 Like

Re: A Brief History Of Fulani Jihads by selemempe: 6:19am On Jul 19, 2019
Isinweke:

FULANIS ARE LESS THAN 7 MILLION IN NIGERIA
these are official figures bro...ur 7 million is unofficial and only what you think
Re: A Brief History Of Fulani Jihads by Flyingngel(m): 6:30am On Jul 19, 2019
If you have not read about Usman Danfodio and his jihadist brothers pls do.
It is then you will understand why Southsouth and Southeast are shouting on top of their voices abt this Ruga thing.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Brief History Of Fulani Jihads by Adaibeku(f): 6:37am On Jul 19, 2019
selemempe:
Does the bolded sound familiar? grin Are there some liberal muslims from the south making this same mistake of aiding ''fulani pastorialist'' to rise against the south?
Yes moslems like pythonamaka n helinues
Re: A Brief History Of Fulani Jihads by Adaibeku(f): 6:40am On Jul 19, 2019
Yyeske:
shut up your mouth wicked soul ,
2 of u are on karma's list , all your atrocities will not go unpunish ...mark my word

1 Like

Re: A Brief History Of Fulani Jihads by Adaibeku(f): 6:42am On Jul 19, 2019
selemempe:
he is worst dan yorubamuslim

He is from ilorin

1 Like

Re: A Brief History Of Fulani Jihads by Nobody: 7:24am On Jul 19, 2019
selemempe:
these are official figures bro...ur 7 million is unofficial and only what you think

Where did you get the Official figure?

keep editing and pedaling lies from wikipedia

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Brief History Of Fulani Jihads by Yyeske(m): 7:40am On Jul 19, 2019
selemempe:
Answer the question bro...are yoruba muslims really worried about the ongoing fulani jihad or are they playing both sides. How can tinubu (the face of yoruba muslims), come out openly to accuse igbos of being behind the killing of the afenifere woman? When eye witnesses said the killers were fulani camped in the nearby bush.

It might be because yoruba muslims (just like middle belt muslims) are in support of islam spreading thru out nigeria anyhow
This Indonesian Buddhist again, carry your wahala go and please come help us flush them away or are you waiting for the international community to come help you?
Re: A Brief History Of Fulani Jihads by Yyeske(m): 7:41am On Jul 19, 2019
Adaibeku:
shut up your mouth wicked soul ,
2 of u are on karma's list , all your atrocities will not go unpunish ...mark my word
Cry cry baby, see him foaming in the mouth already, go and push them off na.
Re: A Brief History Of Fulani Jihads by Yyeske(m): 7:42am On Jul 19, 2019
Adaibeku:
he is worst dan yorubamuslim

He is from ilorin
lol
Re: A Brief History Of Fulani Jihads by sebali: 7:52am On Jul 19, 2019
Fulanis are unrepentant, ungrateful, land grabbers.
Re: A Brief History Of Fulani Jihads by Nemesis909: 8:18am On Jul 19, 2019
Flyingngel:
If you have not read about Usman Danfodio and his jihadist brothers pls do.
It is then you will understand why Southsouth and Southeast are shouting on top of their voices abt this Ruga thing.

Shut up.

You haven't read anything on Usman Dan Fodio.
Re: A Brief History Of Fulani Jihads by Flyingngel(m): 8:24am On Jul 19, 2019
Nemesis909 post:

Shut up.

Open up, you must be a decendant of Dan fodio.
Useless thing.
Re: A Brief History Of Fulani Jihads by Nemesis909: 8:28am On Jul 19, 2019
Flyingngel:
Nemesis909 post:

Shut up.

Open up, you must be a decendant of Dan fodio.
Useless thing.

If I was I wouldn't deny it.

Usually when I get on this forum I read things like this and u can only wonder the manner of human beings that populate our nation.

I took time to read the history of Uthman Dan Fodio because of statements like yours only to realise the man never waged war but got war waged against him because he was popular.
Re: A Brief History Of Fulani Jihads by Bruno3000(m): 9:51am On Jul 19, 2019
They are so shortsighted and don't seem to realize the dangers ahead.
selemempe:
The data above is omnious. Fulanis are the most wide spread ethnic group in Africa and 2nd most wide spread in the world after the British.

How do some of you fools think they came to be in all these countries? Through RUGA you insufferable twerps. How can you fools not see this?

The south has only one option now to fight with; Creation of State Police. If you stupid and weak southern leaders are reading this, this is the time to sponsor nation wide protests calling for the establishment of state police and the amendment of the constitution to enable states to equip their own police force.
Re: A Brief History Of Fulani Jihads by selemempe: 3:27pm On Jul 19, 2019
Nemesis909:

If I was I wouldn't deny it.

Usually when I get on this forum I read things like this and u can only wonder the manner of human beings that populate our nation.

I took time to read the history of Uthman Dan Fodio because of statements like yours only to realise the man never waged war but got war waged against him because he was popular.
lol...is that ur new story about a mass murderer? Did muhammed too not wage war? Lol
Re: A Brief History Of Fulani Jihads by Nemesis909: 3:35pm On Jul 19, 2019
selemempe:
lol...is that ur new story about a mass murderer? Did muhammed too not wage war? Lol

Fact is, I don't give a shit about religion.
What I would not accept is the lies you guys promote for generations.

(1) (2) (Reply)

2023: Orji Kalu Has What It Takes To Lead Nigeria To Greater Heights - Tinubu / Yoruba Elders Are Angry, they respond with venom. / Why Biafra Lost The War - {a Must Read}

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.