Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,776 members, 7,972,792 topics. Date: Friday, 11 October 2024 at 06:20 PM

Why Do Churches Pay Their Instrumentalists? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do Churches Pay Their Instrumentalists? (10431 Views)

If We All Pay Tithes To Churches, Who Do Churches Pay Tithes Too? Just Curious / Why Do Churches Have Different Doctrines And Denominations? / Why Do Churches Pay Salaries To Musicians? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Churches Pay Their Instrumentalists? by Nobody: 9:43pm On Oct 16, 2010
yes theres no price for art. We should view it from the angle of a worker that is getting his/her wages. Since im okay or can comfortably feed my self i do not receive money for playing musical instruments, at times i do feel for others that play but are not as privileged as i am
Re: Why Do Churches Pay Their Instrumentalists? by wynish87(m): 2:35am On Oct 17, 2010
That is 100% true o because i have seen it where a boy anytime he plays jazz for his church they do pay him which is not good at all because it always bring set back to that person it is just like a pastor using offering money for his personal purpose. As far as you are doing it for God you suppose not to be collecting any money from the church.
Re: Why Do Churches Pay Their Instrumentalists? by tlo(f): 9:01pm On Oct 17, 2010
I think it has alot to do with their roles (as instrumentalists) being a skill that not just any church worker can replicate.
A choir member, usher, prayer team member etc can afford to be absent and any other person could stand in, but an instrumentalist has to be there for worship.
Since its a paying job, their service/participation is no longer voluntary.
However it is not every instrumentalist who gets paid.
Re: Why Do Churches Pay Their Instrumentalists? by Nobody: 10:37pm On Oct 17, 2010
@jo
well the copyright law states public performance of some one else works or quote of some one else works u need express permision from the owners even if u wont pay for it end of the day. u would find in most  daily devotional they inscribe  that the following scriptures are taken from so so and so copyright bla bla bla, thats how it is for written works but for visual and audio and probably physical re-performance of peoples works u have to ask them for permission

the christian church most times over looks this law because it is  like a form of evangelism but if u like go play  BOB marley in stadium without permission anything wey happen to u na u oooo,

for us to be good Christians we need to try as much as we can to obey the law/rules of our land. but like i said some dont obey intentionally or some dont know about it.
Re: Why Do Churches Pay Their Instrumentalists? by yommyuk: 4:49am On Oct 18, 2010
Nice thread cool

In my opinion, if the church can afford it, why not? However I have to agree this may be a short term strategy.
Going forward the church should invest in true born again members of church who are committed by encouraging them to learn to play instruments either by employing the services of a true proffessional or setting up a training programe periodically inhouse with an open door policy in mind. The more instrumentalists in the house the better. This will lift the burden of relying solely on one individual or set of individuals who can sometimes hold the church to ransom. In any organised setting where human being congregate, there must be contingency plans in place.

Music is a key and important feature in the church. Any policy the church may want to adopt should be first and foremost for the edification of the church and the instrumentalists should also bear this in mind.
Re: Why Do Churches Pay Their Instrumentalists? by james2man: 9:16am On Oct 18, 2010
Yes churches have to pay their instrumentalist because we sacrifice alot to become an instrusmentalist,you can't compare the output of an instrumentalist and music directors in the church with ushers and drama group or which ever groups in the church, I'm an instrumentalist(lead guitarist)I sacrifice alot,before i can boldly say i'm an instrumentalist,time money and also attended lots of work-shop bought music material and CDs.I know what it takes to acquire this knowledge, Though i'm still a student and yet i consider myself as a full-time instrumentalist devote attended all services in the church,so do you think it is not worth paying for to show appreciation,
Re: Why Do Churches Pay Their Instrumentalists? by Abuse: 10:25am On Oct 18, 2010
The answer to this question is simply that this Churches are in business (LTD & PLC) so they just have to pay their employees. One day they will start paying TAXES.
Re: Why Do Churches Pay Their Instrumentalists? by Image123(m): 10:36am On Oct 18, 2010
i'm still a student and yet i consider myself as a full-time instrumentalist
How can this be? Do you know the meaning of FULL time?
When you get paid for a sacrifice, you don't call it a sacrifice but expenses. That's business, expenses paid
Re: Why Do Churches Pay Their Instrumentalists? by manmustwac(m): 2:14pm On Oct 18, 2010
If you don't pay them, and they go hungry. Then there won't be much of an incentive to work, besides MAN MUST WACK!!!
Re: Why Do Churches Pay Their Instrumentalists? by james2man: 2:22pm On Oct 18, 2010
Image123:

When you get paid for a sacrifice, you don't call it a sacrifice but expenses. That's business, expenses paid
Image123:

Yes it can be, I attend Sunday service,wednesday programms(bible study)6pm and Saturday choir practise so this is possible it has nothing to do with my lectures time and moreover i'm a part time student.
Re: Why Do Churches Pay Their Instrumentalists? by bashydemy(m): 2:39pm On Oct 18, 2010
Well due to my own little knowledge i believe paying an instrumentalist there is no problem with that "if" they are not member of the church but as a member of the church what are you going to do contribute to the work of God? paying an instrumentalist performing for church is like paying a cashier working in banks and its part of business agreement and paying for service render so those instrumentalist should not expect any blessing from God for what they are doing cos they are getting paid for it. Shikenna
Re: Why Do Churches Pay Their Instrumentalists? by KunleOshob(m): 2:47pm On Oct 18, 2010
@bash demy
Going by your logic full time pastors who are getting paid for their work should not expect any blessings from God since they are all ready getting paid for it.
Re: Why Do Churches Pay Their Instrumentalists? by unclebros: 2:50pm On Oct 18, 2010
@bashy_demy

Thanks for your post, most if not all of these instrumentalists are member of thier respective churches, not ordinary members, they are also part of the workforce. when the church calls for worker's meeting, they also attend oh!

Meanwhile, some people are saying they dont do other things, thats not correct. From my findings, most of these guys belong to one band or the other where they make money for themselves. Some of them also play at clubs and gigs.
Re: Why Do Churches Pay Their Instrumentalists? by bashydemy(m): 2:54pm On Oct 18, 2010
KunleOshob:

@bash demy
Going by your logic full time pastors who are getting paid for their work should not expect any blessings from God since they are all ready getting paid for it.
Well you cannot compare a full time pastors to an instrumentalist, Full time pastors have no other jobs but most of the instrumentalist do and they play so lots of this musicians while pastors are only gonna be at the church 24/7 except they have outing wish is strictly with the church service maybe outside the church.
Re: Why Do Churches Pay Their Instrumentalists? by PastorAIO: 3:17pm On Oct 18, 2010
bashy_demy:

Well you cannot compare a full time pastors to an instrumentalist, Full time pastors have no other jobs but most of the instrumentalist do and they play so lots of this musicians while pastors are only gonna be at the church 24/7 except they have outing wish is strictly with the church service maybe outside the church.

What is exactly the activities of Pastor that is occupying their full time?

What is the activities of musicians that is occupying their full time?

Musicians wake up in the morning and practice their instrument for at least about 8 hours in the day. (I'm talking about the real ones, not those who just love music or are doing it for a hobby).

Pastors are involved in caring for their flock. Visiting the disadvantaged amongst their congregation, attending to their needs both physically and emotionally and spiritually. Encouraging those that are more advantaged. etc. This too can occupy all of ones time.

Neither are getting paid for these activities.

However there are many 'full-time' pastors that are on salary yet are not really occupied with pastoring. Similarly there are many 'full-time' musicians that are actually full time igbo smokers.
Re: Why Do Churches Pay Their Instrumentalists? by Image123(m): 3:39pm On Oct 18, 2010
james2man:

Yes it can be, I attend Sunday service,wednesday programms(bible study)6pm and Saturday choir practise so this is possible it has nothing to do with my lectures time and moreover i'm a part time student.
From your explanation above, you're not spending more time than other workers in your church. I calculate you're not spending more than 15hours in a week at the church. HOW is that FULL Time.
Re: Why Do Churches Pay Their Instrumentalists? by kcjazz(m): 7:25pm On Oct 18, 2010
james2man:

Yes churches have to pay their instrumentalist because we sacrifice alot to become an instrusmentalist,you can't compare the output of an instrumentalist and music directors in the church with ushers and drama group or which ever groups in the church, I'm an instrumentalist(lead guitarist)I sacrifice alot,before i can boldly say i'm an instrumentalist,time money and also attended lots of work-shop bought music material and CDs.I know what it takes to acquire this knowledge, Though i'm still a student and yet i consider myself as a full-time instrumentalist devote attended all services in the church,so do you think it is not worth paying for to show appreciation,

It is people like you that gives service a bad name, how could you relegate ushers or drama group because you practice music. I have seen people who did not come back to a church because the toilets were dirty or the welcoming team were horrible. Everyone cannot sing but don't make musicians become more than they are.
For a small church paying anyone who works below 10 hours a week is not sustainable, there are part-time 12-20hrs or full-time 40hrs/week, and those are required for mega churches. You invest in yourself, which is nice but what is your ministry and does it fit this church? If not you are a career musician.
Like people have mentioned, churches should focus on training and also stage presence cos there is nothing more frustrating to a musician than a humming mic
Re: Why Do Churches Pay Their Instrumentalists? by tlops(m): 8:28pm On Oct 18, 2010
i dont think all churches do that, except if they decide to hire an instrumentalist from outside. Othrwise they come from the congregation and its part of their service to God.
Re: Why Do Churches Pay Their Instrumentalists? by BabaOnileK: 12:33am On Oct 19, 2010
Its a controversial one but we need to find out if those being paid are full-time workers. Full-time workers deserve to be paid for their services.
What I am against is where these hirelings come in for only Sunday services and quote high amounts. If there is a contract then they should be paid according to their contracts (which most of them find it difficult to abide by). My parish had this instrumentalist on contract and he wanted to avoid midweek services and rehearsals and we had to let go of him. He would also come late for prayers before Sunday services etc.

The problem is that most churches do not invest in musical training for their young ones. A few churches that do that include Apostolic Faith and Deeper Life. I am yet to see a large mass choir of instrumentalists like that of Apostolic Faith at their Xmas and Easter concerts in Naija (I do not worship there but do see clips of their concerts).
Re: Why Do Churches Pay Their Instrumentalists? by BabaOnileK: 12:43am On Oct 19, 2010
james2man:

Its funny but have you attended Redemption Camp recently and have had to sit close to one of the large screens farther away from the altar (not everyone can get to camp early from work) and you'll appreciate the value of sound technicians/engineers. Have you attended any of "The Experience"concerts? If the sound guys do not invest their energies days before the event to sort out sound/video logistics would anyone really appreciate Ron Kenoly singing in Naija? What of the guys on traffic control? Are they less important cos they ensure you get to the venue on time and have minimal hassles when leaving the venues? Was it not heavy traffic that made Pastor Chris take an helicopter ride when he was stuck in traffic while going for a programme he organised some years ago? What of the security guys that ensure that missing kids get reconciled with parents; cars are not burgled while the 'instrumentalists/choir ministers' are busy ministering?

How many notable instrumentalists were of note in the bible? The New Testament has relatively few if any mentioned. The Old Testament recognised all sorts but not so many instrumentalists too (writing psalms does not make David one). Just ma two kobo.
Re: Why Do Churches Pay Their Instrumentalists? by BabaOnileK: 12:46am On Oct 19, 2010
james2man:

Its funny but have you attended Redemption Camp recently and have had to seat close to one of the large screens farther away from the altar (not everyone can get to camp early from work) and you'll appreciate the value of sound technicians/engineers. Have you attended any of "The Experience"concerts? If the sound guys do not invest their energies days before the event to sort out sound/video logistics would anyone really appreciate Ron Kenoly singing in Naija? What of the guys on traffic control? Are they less important cos they ensure you get to the venue on time and have minimal hassles when leaving the venues? Was it not heavy traffic that made Pastor Chris take an helicopter ride when he was stuck in traffic while going for a programme he organised some years ago? What of the security guys that ensure that missing kids get reconciled with parents; cars are not burgled while the 'instrumentalists/choir ministers' are busy ministering?

How many notable instrumentalists were of note in the bible? The New Testament has relatively few if any mentioned. The Old Testament recognised all sorts but not so many instrumentalists too (writing psalms does not make David one). Just ma two kobo.
Re: Why Do Churches Pay Their Instrumentalists? by Godsvoice: 12:46pm On Oct 20, 2010
Rendering services in the house of God is good and commendable,God is pleased with it and rewards every one according to his labour of love, here on earth and hereafter.However, there are certain people who practice certain vocation for a living, such people should be remmunerated as long as they will remain a staff member of the Church either part time or full time.They should be available at every meeting and rehearsals.It is not a voluntary service but a contractual service.Those who do not have anyother jobs they do apart from playing instruments for the church must be paid like any other staff members.
Re: Why Do Churches Pay Their Instrumentalists? by papabaks(m): 2:19pm On Oct 20, 2010
Most of those instrumentalist are masters holder that work in the house of God 24/7 So are we now saying that because they are serving the house of God they should not eat? They have home to take care of they work for church 24/7 so they have to be paid for the service rendered, simple,

ushers, teachers, drama etc, are all part time workers.
Re: Why Do Churches Pay Their Instrumentalists? by danieee(m): 9:55pm On Oct 20, 2010
Well, am a pianist, and i don't collect a dime for my services in church.So I guess it depends on the church
Re: Why Do Churches Pay Their Instrumentalists? by Image123(m): 10:19pm On Oct 20, 2010
papabaks:

Most of those instrumentalist are masters holder that work in the house of God 24/7 So are we now saying that because they are serving the house of God they should not eat? They have home to take care of they work for church 24/7 so they have to be paid for the service rendered, simple,

ushers, teachers, drama etc, are all part time workers.
So other workers in church are primary school leavers se? They have no family to take care of. They work 24/7. Try to re.read your post mr.
Re: Why Do Churches Pay Their Instrumentalists? by papabaks(m): 10:22am On Oct 21, 2010
Image123:

So other workers in church are primary school leavers se? They have no family to take care of. They work 24/7. Try to re.read your post mr.

What am saying is that most workers in the church have their place of work which they are being paid for their services. some of those instrumentalist also work for church and they are to be paid for their services. just like some security officers in the church.
Re: Why Do Churches Pay Their Instrumentalists? by Image123(m): 12:45pm On Oct 21, 2010
OK sir
Re: Why Do Churches Pay Their Instrumentalists? by GeorgeD1(m): 12:52pm On Oct 21, 2010
freely you recieve, freely give as you have been given!
Re: Why Do Churches Pay Their Instrumentalists? by Nobody: 3:01pm On Oct 21, 2010
^^^ Even when u have no other source of livelihood?
Re: Why Do Churches Pay Their Instrumentalists? by Image123(m): 3:40pm On Oct 21, 2010
^and why don't you have other sources of livelihood?
Re: Why Do Churches Pay Their Instrumentalists? by GeorgeD1(m): 10:35am On Oct 22, 2010
he who gives freely shall surely never lack.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Is Your Best Christian Book? / What Is The Difference Between Miracle And Blessing? / From Christian To Atheist

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.