Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,816 members, 7,882,830 topics. Date: Sunday, 07 July 2024 at 04:22 PM

I Never Wanted To Be S’africa’s President —mandela - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Never Wanted To Be S’africa’s President —mandela (2375 Views)

El-rufai: Kaduna Has More Gold Than S’africa / Jonathan Told Me & Obasanjo He Never Wanted To Be Vice-president - Donald Duke / Patience Never Wanted Jonathan In Politics – Alamieyeseigha (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Never Wanted To Be S’africa’s President —mandela by koruji(m): 2:20am On Oct 14, 2010
By Agency Reporter
Wednesday, 13 Oct 2010
Punch

South Africa — Iconic anti-apartheid campaigner, Mr. Nelson Mandela, has said in a new book that he never wanted to become South African president.

Reuters reports that Mandela said he would have preferred a younger person to become the country’s first post-apartheid black ruler.

Mandela said in the book, ‘Conversations with Myself,’ launched on Tuesday, that he only accepted after senior leaders of the African National Congress put pressure on him.

“My installation as the first democratically elected President of the Republic of South Africa was imposed on me much against my own advice,’ Mandela said.

The book, compiled by the Nelson Mandela Foundation from personal letters, interviews and an unpublished sequel to his autobiography, contains a foreword by United States President Barack Obama.

Mandela, 92, said that he would have preferred to serve the new South African State without holding any position in the ANC or government.

After being put on the carpet by one of the ANC’s leaders, he changed his mind, but made clear that he would serve only one five-year term.

Mandela’s release on February 11, 1990, after 27 years in apartheid-era jails, set in motion the country’s transformation to democracy, which culminated in historic all-race elections in 1994 and his inauguration as the country’s first black leader.

Reconciliation between blacks and whites was the cornerstone of Mandelas presidency, which ended in May 1999. But in the book, an important theme is his concern about the effects of his imprisonment on his family
Re: I Never Wanted To Be S’africa’s President —mandela by koruji(m): 2:56am On Oct 14, 2010
Mandela is the stuff real leaders are made from. They literally give their life for the nation, without demanding or even wanting anything in return other than the freedom of their people.

Before we say two words IBB woul remind us that he fought to keep Nigeria one (as if that is helping anybody now) and that he carries the shrapnel in his body. He forgot that his actions were instrumental to the ruin of our nation over the last 40 or so years.

IBB is neither wise nor intelligent, only cunning and wicked. If IBB wants to know his true worth - let him sit in Minna and see if anyone would volunteer his name to become President!
Re: I Never Wanted To Be S’africa’s President —mandela by houvest: 5:03am On Oct 14, 2010
This type comes once in a century
Re: I Never Wanted To Be S’africa’s President —mandela by drop4tp(m): 5:43am On Oct 14, 2010
Why can't we have this of leader in nigeria.
Re: I Never Wanted To Be S’africa’s President —mandela by Nobody: 2:29pm On Oct 14, 2010
drop4tp:

Because we don't all deserve "such type of leader" as followers.
Do you know how many people were killed, arrested and injured in the Sharpeville massacre?
Do you know how many people died in detention during white rule?
Do you how many secondary school students (yes, secondary school students) were killed in the Soweto uprising?
Do you know to what extent ANC members were followed, attacked or killed?

Please let's ask ourselves these questions, and consider if we have fought enough to deserve a giant standing out amongst us, leading a voice of opposition, and rescuing this chained nation from impending doom,
Re: I Never Wanted To Be S’africa’s President —mandela by tpiah: 2:34pm On Oct 14, 2010
drop4tp:

thought yaradua was more or less like that.

after all he didnt really intend to be president.

[s]the only problem was the religious hardliners who wanted to ride behind him.[/s]
Re: I Never Wanted To Be S’africa’s President —mandela by Nobody: 2:39pm On Oct 14, 2010
koruji:

By Agency Reporter
Wednesday, 13 Oct 2010
Punch

South Africa — Iconic anti-apartheid campaigner, Mr. Nelson Mandela, has said in a new book that he never wanted to become South African president.

Reuters reports that Mandela said he would have preferred a younger person to become the country’s first post-apartheid black ruler.

Mandela said in the book, ‘Conversations with Myself,’ launched on Tuesday, that[b] he only accepted after senior leaders of the African National Congress put pressure on him.

“My installation as the first democratically elected President of the Republic of South Africa was imposed on me much against my own advice,’ Mandela said.
[/b]

The book, compiled by the Nelson Mandela Foundation from personal letters, interviews and an unpublished sequel to his autobiography, contains a foreword by United States President Barack Obama.

Mandela, 92, said that he would have preferred to serve the new South African State without holding any position in the ANC or government.

After being put on the carpet by one of the ANC’s leaders, he changed his mind, but made clear that he would serve only one five-year term.

Mandela’s release on February 11, 1990, after 27 years in apartheid-era jails, set in motion the country’s transformation to democracy, which culminated in historic all-race elections in 1994 and his inauguration as the country’s first black leader.

Reconciliation between blacks and whites was the cornerstone of Mandelas presidency, which ended in May 1999. But in the book, an important theme is his concern about the effects of his imprisonment on his family

Deja vu. . . .more like pdp remix in 1999
Re: I Never Wanted To Be S’africa’s President —mandela by buzugee(m): 3:04pm On Oct 14, 2010
we have had leaders like that but they have either been killed or ousted. murtala mohammed and idiagbon.
Re: I Never Wanted To Be S’africa’s President —mandela by agitator: 4:19pm On Oct 14, 2010
sauer:

Do you know how many people were killed, arrested and injured in the Sharpeville massacre?
Do you how many secondary school students (yes, secondary school students) were killed in the Soweto uprising?

Please let's ask ourselves these questions, and consider if we have fought enough to deserve a giant standing out amongst us, leading a voice of opposition, and rescuing this chained nation from impending doom,

If you try these things my broda, you go die for nothing. and some pipu wey dey claim wiseness go take you change their lives. That is why we dey suffer. grin grin grin
Re: I Never Wanted To Be S’africa’s President —mandela by Ranoscky(m): 4:21pm On Oct 14, 2010
hmmmm
Re: I Never Wanted To Be S’africa’s President —mandela by MAYOWAAK: 8:17pm On Oct 14, 2010
When this sage passes away,the whole world will come to a standstill .
Re: I Never Wanted To Be S’africa’s President —mandela by mamagee3(f): 11:44pm On Oct 14, 2010
Mandela should just forget it already. . .

Why didn't he say it hen he was the reigning president?
Re: I Never Wanted To Be S’africa’s President —mandela by ladej(m): 1:26am On Oct 15, 2010
mama-gee:

thats opaks. who ever says anything whilst in power? thats why they are called memoirs, its usually after you leave office. didnt u know this?
Re: I Never Wanted To Be S’africa’s President —mandela by Ranoscky(m): 3:58am On Oct 15, 2010
^^
Keep on lecturin her, i hope she's learnin !!!
Re: I Never Wanted To Be S’africa’s President —mandela by texazzpete(m): 8:39am On Oct 15, 2010
mama-gee:

You really do have the knack of saying really brainless things grin
Re: I Never Wanted To Be S’africa’s President —mandela by samuraix1: 11:52am On Oct 15, 2010
Make it a date with Dr Christopher Kolade @ Harvest Place

Date: November 7th 2010
Time: 10am
Venue: Harvest Place. 10 Emmanuel Street. (Very close to Elomaz Hotel, former Jesu Oyinbo Street) Maryland. Lagos
Theme: You, Your career and Nation Building

For Registration Please call: 017392727 , 07041006835.
Re: I Never Wanted To Be S’africa’s President —mandela by ladej(m): 12:22pm On Oct 15, 2010
texazzpete:

You really do have the knack of saying really brainless things grin
thanks boss.
Re: I Never Wanted To Be S’africa’s President —mandela by ladej(m): 12:24pm On Oct 15, 2010
Ranoscky:

^^
Keep on lecturin her, i hope she's learnin !!!
na prayer my guy if NL cant do it. mandela is one of the few people i can never ever criticise. his leadership and selflessness is there to see. what a man !
Re: I Never Wanted To Be S’africa’s President —mandela by Cmiller(m): 10:47am On Oct 16, 2010
mandela, hearing his name makes me proud 2 b an african n also a black man tooooo.

tnk yu d graet african icon
smiley
Re: I Never Wanted To Be S’africa’s President —mandela by Katsumoto: 3:27pm On Oct 16, 2010
buzugee:

we have had leaders like that but they have either been killed or ousted. murtala mohammed and idiagbon.

Don't mention Mandela and Murtala Muhammed using the same context.
Re: I Never Wanted To Be S’africa’s President —mandela by JomoGbomo2(m): 3:56pm On Oct 16, 2010
Its a big slap on Africa as a whole and to Madiba rohilalah himself for mentioning Murtala or idiagbon where mandela is mentioned.

This man is the product of the mistake of nature, he was never meant to be an african, he is a product of the Law of exception. even obama does not compare to him, never.

He is my role model politically, and i am proud of him. Nigeria has never had anyone that could be in the same room with him, shameful enough, OBJ was among the delegate commonwealth sent to talk to him while in prison, i wonder y he cant just learn the spirit of selflessness from him.

please read " Long Walk To Freedom" before commenting on this "Legend" again
Re: I Never Wanted To Be S’africa’s President —mandela by ladej(m): 9:18pm On Oct 16, 2010
Katsumoto:

Don't mention Mandela and Murtala Muhammed using the same context.
preach it brother. we have NEVER had anyone like mandela in power in nigeria. on the fringes perhaps but not in power
Re: I Never Wanted To Be S’africa’s President —mandela by koruji(m): 11:49pm On Oct 16, 2010
@JomoGbomo2
You were doing so well until you reached that part where you said "he was never meant to be an african". Meaning what?

The rest of your post may be on point, but on that one statement I say you need your head examined shocked shocked shocked

JomoGbomo2:

Its a big slap on Africa as a whole and to Madiba rohilalah himself for mentioning Murtala or idiagbon where mandela is mentioned.

This man is the product of the mistake of nature, he was never meant to be an african, he is a product of the Law of exception. even obama does not compare to him, never.

He is my role model politically, and i am proud of him. Nigeria has never had anyone that could be in the same room with him, shameful enough, OBJ was among the delegate commonwealth sent to talk to him while in prison, i wonder y he cant just learn the spirit of selflessness from him.

Re: I Never Wanted To Be S’africa’s President —mandela by tpiah: 10:27am On Oct 17, 2010
JomoGbomo2:

and you've said what exactly?

sounds like gibberish to me.

what do you mean by he was never meant to be an african.
Re: I Never Wanted To Be S’africa’s President —mandela by ladej(m): 8:41pm On Oct 18, 2010
JomoGbomo2:

you have lost the plot. totally. he was never meant to be african, so pray tell who was he meant to be, a martian? remove that comment sarpish and the rest of your post makes sense.
Re: I Never Wanted To Be S’africa’s President —mandela by jpphilips(m): 5:38pm On Oct 19, 2010

Can somebody say AMEN!!!!
Naija just woke up

(1) (Reply)

When Did Tribalism Started In Nigeria And What Is Responsible For It? / Prof Gambari Retires From The United Nations / Globacom Devices New Method Of Scamming Nigerians Of Funds

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.