Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,180,361 members, 7,910,851 topics. Date: Sunday, 04 August 2024 at 06:10 PM

The Poor State Of Nigerian Bank Websites - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / The Poor State Of Nigerian Bank Websites (2915 Views)

Make Legitimate Money Online In Nigeria Straighr Into Your Nigerian Bank Account / Google Adsense Check, How Do I Receive It In A Nigerian Bank? / Nigerian Bank Websites (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Poor State Of Nigerian Bank Websites by Nobody: 4:40pm On May 12, 2007
If we were to do awards for the overall best nigerian bank website, you guys would be amazed to find out the design and structure of these so called big banks websote.
I am fortunate to have checked out the whole bank and to my surprise less than five (5) could compete with their countera parts in other countries in terms of website design.
I guess even boys i started teaching how to design some weeks back would do a better job than most of these banks websote.
The best 3 designs incllde- ecobank , unity ,and doamond.
AND THE OVERALL BEST DESIGNED WEBSITE OF NIGERIAN BANK WEBSITE GOES TO [b][i]Diamond bank plc.
Please web designers give you arguments for or against my observations,
Lets have a very good argument and share ideas on how to correct this disgrace on nogeroan websote designers.

Momoh abdulhafiz
01-8127254
Head projects and Sorts
Nirom Interactive Solutions
Re: The Poor State Of Nigerian Bank Websites by my2cents(m): 5:04pm On May 12, 2007
I couldn't pull up unity's site but here are my comments on the other 2:

1) ecobank: I had to pinch myself to remember that the site had to do with banking and not flash art galleries. Animations were everywhere!!

2) diamond: decent

The worst in my opinion, though better than ecobank's, is Union bank http://www.unionbankng.com/ - how many horses do they have in that animation? Or is it just one horse running around all the time? if the latter, shouldn't the bank get someone to give it some water and food as I bet the horse is getting tired by now? tongue

why the deplorable designs, in general?

1) Jobs given based on who-knows-who as opposed to who-has-talent

2) you get what you pay for and based on what I see/hear about website charges (N30K - N40K on average), I am not surprised. The seasoned developers, who charge more, will probably not land many jobs. Yet these are the ones who are most qualified for the jobs

3) Lack of proper training - too many people, and I get this from reading posts on this forum (which to me gives a pretty good "state of affairs" with respect to web development at home), google for ebooks, read "how to, so so and so, in 24 hours" and come out 2 weeks later claiming to be "webmasters". Sure you can slap together stuff here and there but does that necessarily make you a "webmaster"?

How to solve:

1) The good developers amongst us need to do a better job advertising themselves. From my experience in business, empty vessels make the most noise and it is such people I personally avoid at all cost. Even coca-cola, with its reputation worldwide, does advertise itself from time to time.

2) Perhaps there needs to be some sort of certification with the board offering this certification advertising its members to the Nigerian community. This board/certification should be in place till better sites surface.

3) A properly developed (as opposed to "designed"wink site shouldn't be rushed into production in 5 days. I read a lot of posts on here that claim "I can put up a website in 3 days". Granted it shouldn't take 6 months, at the same time, a well developed site should involve planning and research. Even if you copy the design of another site, just don't do a view source and copy and paste (I know some people on here do that tongue). Take time to dissect the code, understand it, and make additions to make the code better.

I will stop here as I don't want to takeover the post. I will let others comment. Okay, let me return to union bank's website. Last I checked, that horse ran back and forth 200 times already LMAO

Thanks,
Re: The Poor State Of Nigerian Bank Websites by neroflick(m): 10:31pm On May 12, 2007
have u checked out zenith bank's , i think they have the best bank website in nigeria.

www.zenithbank.com
Re: The Poor State Of Nigerian Bank Websites by my2cents(m): 11:08pm On May 12, 2007
nero,

based on the 4 or so that have been posted on this thread, I will have to agree - very simple, neat and easy to navigate. Again, yet another example of a simple design that satisfies my user experience.
Re: The Poor State Of Nigerian Bank Websites by smartsoft(m): 7:33pm On May 13, 2007
Yeah Zenith Website looks cool, is a good one have you seen FCMB, INTERCONTINETAL, OCEANIC BANK those ones are also good to. and also FIRSTINLAND BANK
Re: The Poor State Of Nigerian Bank Websites by segebee(m): 7:49pm On May 13, 2007
my2cents u bad oh

that horse really needs water and can u believe its on all pages tongue

union bank doesn't even have an e-banking section

who the hell designed that site

Now, to my2cents, whats up wt webmastersofafrica.com
how come one cannot sign in and u keep criticising others sites tongue

love u and accept u're good bt do somthin bout woa

im this bad at designin free sites www.segebee.bravehost.com

bt i love developin anyday!
Re: The Poor State Of Nigerian Bank Websites by my2cents(m): 2:16am On May 14, 2007
sege,

so, many people have contacted me regarding not being able to log in. So much so that i sent out a special email about this. Becoming a WOA member is not the same as registering as a member. To register for the "members only" section, you need to use your email address and a password (whereas to "become a member", you didn't need a password).

I wouldn't say I am criticizing others' sites but rather, I am critiquing. Besides, they asked for it grin. When I do critique, it is based on my 8 yrs of experience in the field. As for WOA design-wise, it is meant to be an informational, search site. So, I wanted to emphasize the functionality and not wow anyone with design. Besides, as you may know from my posts, I emphasize, "simple, yet elegant". With respect to the bank sites so far, Zenith is basically what I preach.

Back to WOA. Sorry for the confusion. Do try again. Others who did have told me they were able to register without problems. When you do sign in, if you are like the others, you will say there is nothing special about being registered. That is only for now cool - I have a lot of features turned off. Once I visit naija and do advertising (which is when many, who are sitting on the fence with bad belle, will want to join tongue), I will start charging members who join at that time. Also, at that time, I will turn on certain features depending on how much you pay. I intended to keep this secret, but I guess you got it out of me wink

Word to the wise: Join now for free. Look for the black he-goat while the sun still shines.
Re: The Poor State Of Nigerian Bank Websites by Afam(m): 5:32pm On May 14, 2007
A note on the time it takes to set up a website.

Indeed, depending on one's level of experience, speed and efficiency one can put up a fully functional website under 24 hrs not even 3 days.

There are websites that do not require research. If you have a simple information only website for a business and all the content is made available I do not see why the site cannot be up and running under 24 hrs.

So, basically it is not about how short or how long a web project takes, it is all about how useful and good the website is.
Re: The Poor State Of Nigerian Bank Websites by segebee(m): 3:20pm On May 16, 2007
i support my2cents, u can't get a professional site up in 24 hrs
even 3 days isn't enough, bt what do most 9ja webmasters know about SEO undecided

my friend who designs sites doesn't even know what SEO is or understand the tech behind forums, how many do?
little wonder they charge less

my2cents, i didn't critique ur site design, u've made me an apostle of simple designs at least i got that from you.
it's the in-thing now.
i would love to help you work on any of ur projects if u don't mind, just finished one, am not one to go around and ASUU keeps me@home.
also if anyone needs help on their sire especially development, holla me!

did i say ecobank was awful, too flashy cry
Re: The Poor State Of Nigerian Bank Websites by Afam(m): 3:56pm On May 16, 2007
@Segebee,

You are so very wrong my dear.

That you cannot start and finish a professional website in 24hrs or 3 days does not mean that others cannot do so.

See the following website, everything (including programming, image optimization, design) took less than 36 hrs not even 2 days.

Now, tell me what is wrong with the site - www.justwebservices.com/extracon
Re: The Poor State Of Nigerian Bank Websites by nduaj(m): 5:10pm On May 24, 2007
i think Zenith banks site is the best. diamond is equally good. i think the problem is the fact that those that do bank sites focus more on functionality than on beauty. like GTBanks site has a lot of functions, so the guys that did it r probaly programmes and not designers. they focus more on PHP, ASP, that on CSS and HTML , kno wha i mean?
Re: The Poor State Of Nigerian Bank Websites by my2cents(m): 5:21pm On May 24, 2007
There is nothing wrong in having some eye candy in addition to functionality. I can't speak for the Nigerian market but the way it is in the states, there are the programmers and then the designers (as well as DBAs, copywriters, etc). Together they work hand-in-hand to come up with a fully functional and good-looking site. From what I glean from NL, it seems the developer does everything from architecture, to coding to designing. Everything including the kitchen sink.

It could also be that the clients don't know any better. This could be where, in order to create additional value in the eyes of the client, the developer gives them the good design, even if it means charging extra or absorbing part of the cost associated with hiring a designer.

There should be no reason why the client can't have both (of course, abuse shouldn't be the order of the day tongue)
Re: The Poor State Of Nigerian Bank Websites by segebee(m): 2:35am On May 26, 2007
well afam dear i just went to your site, this is my judgement: cool

the bakground is lovely, the buttons etc flow with wood

apart from that nothing else, i won't blame you if the site guy paid you N10,000
for crying out loud, my2cents have u checked that site!

there's so much space beneath the few links section

im shocked that that site runs on php and the only thing it was used for was the
wonderful gallery( u tried there)

there's no form on the site to accept orders, no direct mailing from the site,
why didn't you use a free host smiley oh, i forgot 36 hrs shocked

i know you're a good designer and it took time to see the faults, bt im trying to say a good site doesn't come up in 3 days!

however, if you need someone to develop a form for orders/ mailing to client, may i volunteer someone, myself cheesy wink cool

no hard feelings right grin
Re: The Poor State Of Nigerian Bank Websites by Afam(m): 1:38pm On May 26, 2007
I design order forms for free so will not be having any need to outsource it.

If you want to know what my idea of a website is see www.afamite.com. It was designed and programmed from scratch by myself and I only get to work on it anytime I am less busy. It is a personal pet project where I get to try out ideas.

On being surprised if the owner paid N10,000.00 no wahala N10,000.00 na money but I will be shocked if you will be able to make as much money I have made designing websites for clients in your lifetime.

When I need advice on web design be rest assured you will be the last person I will ask so take am easy.
Re: The Poor State Of Nigerian Bank Websites by segebee(m): 4:53pm On May 30, 2007
ok, Afam,

i like what you said and here's my reply:

You said you design forms for free and yet your client's site doesn't have an order form.

and let's face it that site is whack smiley i was only tryin to pipe down

you asked for this:

you've probably made more money designing websites than i've and i agree, but wt the kind of sites you design, i can imagine the poor state of nigerian sites,
probably u're one of those who go to meet odili and give him a crap site and charge him for it
and do the same to all those ignorant coys in PH grin ;Dnow that's a wicked joke grin grin
just kiddin.

bt seriously, u have no competition in PH

i am an oracleDBA from NIIT, a PHP-MySQL developer, a complete webmaster, what am i getting at?

I CAN MAKE ALL YOU'VE MADE BY THE GRACE OF GOD IF I WANT TO, it takes only 3 web design projects of 3 top coys which my connx can surely get for me.

So i agree you've made more money than me bt i know you'll never design better webssites than I.
No hard feelings aight wink

NB: my free website is beta than your site ;Dok that's a joke grin grin grin
Re: The Poor State Of Nigerian Bank Websites by samsilo(m): 6:35pm On May 30, 2007
My problem with all these bank sites is not how good they look but how functional.

I have had to stop myself from cussing out people at my bank after trying for weeks to call after sending several emails.
These guys do not know jack about customer service angry angry.
At most websites here both private and government institutions you can get all the information you need or at least get a reply to an email in a few days.
With this banks whossai.
Re: The Poor State Of Nigerian Bank Websites by dejia(m): 6:47pm On May 30, 2007
I think we should not only look at the design but how reliable is there online service.
2 or 3 years ago GTB was given an award with the best internet banking solution and web design, i signed up with them, i hardly get to access my ac. sometimes is just too slow or it gives me an error, but i think its better now.

Oceanic Bank has been very very reliable, when pple pay into my acct from any of there branches i get to view it online in less than 30mins. there site might not be too flashy but as far as i get what i really what i dont care.i have not tried any other bank cos am really cool with Oceanic,
Re: The Poor State Of Nigerian Bank Websites by toksdara(m): 6:56pm On May 30, 2007
What do u guys think of Afribank's website, it was one of WORST available. I'm not sure of now anyway. But I had to check it when I was doing some JAMB stuffs then.  What do u think?

Zenith to me is the best!
Re: The Poor State Of Nigerian Bank Websites by Ace(m): 6:58pm On May 30, 2007
@ Afam

"Now, tell me what is wrong with the site"

In the Floor gallery while browsing through pictures if I click on a picture for the full size I cannot get to the next picture directly. I have to go back and then click on the next picture. Not very user friendly IMHO ,  I mean this is so basic most picture galleries have index, next & previous links.
Re: The Poor State Of Nigerian Bank Websites by DisGuy: 10:51pm On May 30, 2007
Have you guys seen Wema bank shocked shocked

I think sometimes its not about the look of it but the functions, i dont want to be looking at GTB's website i just want to check my account and transfer money not saying it should look like Wema bank or Afribank though.

Oh yea never expect reply from nigeria banks online> you either call them or walk in to their branch
Re: The Poor State Of Nigerian Bank Websites by dudubobo1: 2:47pm On May 31, 2007
I have sent a few emails to Nigerian banks and tried to contact a few online. It's been a complete nightmare. Even where I have used stated email addresses, I have got no response after several weeks of try and I am really interested in getting a job in Nigeria so I can return home.
Re: The Poor State Of Nigerian Bank Websites by segebee(m): 6:32pm On May 31, 2007
@ Ace, God bless you oh!

and the guy go dey feel. he thot i was beefing him
where is he actually

oh, i guess i won grin grin cheesy, we can move on to bank websites

has anyone here tried approachin a bank wt proposals?
what was d outcome?
Re: The Poor State Of Nigerian Bank Websites by my2cents(m): 5:40pm On Jun 01, 2007
dejia (and to all those with similar comments):

To paraphrase you all, saying that a bank has no need for good design when there is good functionality to me, is like saying there is no need to use a spoon for eating when there is a shovel.

Sure, in the end, it boils down to functionality but letz face it, if you go to the market in search of say, a shirt, granted you want something that will be comfortable given the hot conditions in Nigeria, come on now, what attracts you isn't the "functionality" of the shirt but if the shirt looks good in the first place. If it catches your eye, then you start looking at the other features. Even if you don't buy the shirt, you would be attracted to the shirt that catches your fancy. At least, thatz a one man's opinion on it all.

I no go lie, for me, if I am not attracted to something, no matter how good or bad it may be, I don't proceed any further. It kind of reminds me of those women who,when looking for a man, say looks don't matter and that it's all about what's inside. Thatz a big fat lie. Even if it is 1% of what they are looking for, physical attraction does play a role in who they go out with.

As always, my 2 cents
Re: The Poor State Of Nigerian Bank Websites by segebee(m): 6:45pm On Jun 01, 2007
simply put:

minimum design, maximum functionality!

my2cents, u suppose don pass 2cents and dey give 2dols cheesy
we lovin ur 2cents though

NB: guess i chased afam away cheesy but im not finished yet angrystill goin to look at that site
Re: The Poor State Of Nigerian Bank Websites by Afam(m): 10:02am On Jun 04, 2007
Ace:

@ Afam

"Now, tell me what is wrong with the site"

In the Floor gallery while browsing through pictures if I click on a picture for the full size I cannot get to the next picture directly. I have to go back and then click on the next picture. Not very user friendly IMHO , I mean this is so basic most picture galleries have index, next & previous links.

This gallery is for samples that people who have the money to buy may want to see, not your typical photo gallery. The point is this, the photo gallery is not meant to be a casual or entertainment one but to show photos of actual pictures taken for the product in question.

Now, assuming that it is really necessary for the index, next, previous links to be shown on the full size it will not take up to 8 lines of code and some 3-5 minutes to implement just like you have the same next, previous links on the index of the photo gallery so adding a feature that takes less than 5 minutes to implement on a website does not take anything away from the fact that complete websites can be developed under 3 days.

That something is difficult for a beginner or a learner does not mean that it is the same for someone that has done that thing more than a hundred times and have completed projects under 2 days without even using templates for that matter.

segebee:

NB: guess i chased afam away cheesy but im not finished yet angrystill goin to look at that site

On the contrary, I have learned that the best way to let someone display his/her ignorance to the fullest is to alow the person all the time to do so.

You claim you are good in PHP and Mysql yet you go not have a website nor have you pointed to any single website you have done or do you do projects in your dreams?

You make use of a free service that does not allow you to touch or manipulate the code yet you are unable to even come up with a decent look and feel on the free website.

I have seen people like you who don't know their right from their left as regards web development choosing to use their mouths to do web development and hoping that it will get them anywhere. If you depend on web design to make money then my sincere advice to you is that you go learn how to drive danfo since you are in Lagos as that will pay you more than begging my2cents to consider you when he has jobs to do, not the way to go.

So, boy when next people ignore you do not imagine that you may be making sense, they may be allowing you to fully display your ignorance.

@topic,

This forum is active not because the site is appealing but because the features and functionalities are so easy for people to use.

For a website to be good, it must be task oriented, unless people are browsing aimlessly most people visit websites to complete certain tasks from sending emails to looking for specific information.

Business websites may seem the simplest but they make the most money. Without a single animation on my business website I have earned over 4 million naira from clients (not contracts, individuals) who get to even know about the website online and the funny thing is that I have never gotten to know about 70% of these people. They visit the site on their own, pass judgements, make up their minds to do business with you and just call for you to provide account number for payment simply because they were presented with enough information to make a buying decision.

The alternative energy website that simply provides information about inveters, prices, battery bank calculations, battery recommendations, installation and warranty information is not even hosted on a web hosting space of its own, it resides in a folder on the main website yet close to 10 million has been made from that site alone.

Put differently, when the chips are down, websites that are simple and easy to use will become more useful that websites that come with all the whistles and bells of web development yet remains a puzzle for the average website visitor.
Re: The Poor State Of Nigerian Bank Websites by Ace(m): 11:01pm On Jun 04, 2007
@ Afam

The fact that the photo gallery is not meant to be a casual or entertainment one is exactly the reason why it should be as user friendly and time saving as possible. Time is money. If I were a potential buyer I would want to see as many pictures as possible and would find having to return to the index too time consuming. I would wonder why something that would not take up to 8 lines of code and some 3-5 minutes to implement was left out. I would give up after a few clicks.

Now let me ask you, what is the point asking "what is wrong with the site?" only to respond defensively when simple flaws are pointed out?
Re: The Poor State Of Nigerian Bank Websites by Afam(m): 5:09pm On Jun 05, 2007
Ace:

Now let me ask you, what is the point asking "what is wrong with the site?" only to respond defensively when simple flaws are pointed out?

It seems that you have effectively left out the reason for the question to begin to chase shadows.

The issue here is time and if the only thing you have pointed out on the site is that the photo gallery does not have previous and next links on the full display and it has been clearly stated that the feature wouldn't take 3-5 minutes to implement and you are still hung on the question I asked then you are entirely on your own.

Can one develop from scratch a website in 3 days? The answer to the simple question is yes and I am sure I have done so on more than 20 or 25 occassions.

The issue is not a competition for web designers so you can take all the time in the world to look for flaws (according to you) even though I consider what you have pointed out to be features or functionalities that you may like and another person may not give a damn about.

The point has been clearly made as regards the possibility or otherwise of developing a website under 3 days and that was the crux of the matter here.
Re: The Poor State Of Nigerian Bank Websites by Ace(m): 12:22am On Jun 06, 2007
@ Afam

My response was only aimed at pointing out what I felt was 'wrong' with the website. A lot of other things are 'right' with the site and if you hadn't asked for critique in the first place I would never have given it.

I'm actually also of the opinion that a website can be developed from scratch in 3 days. I never disputed that so I agree with you there.
Re: The Poor State Of Nigerian Bank Websites by Afam(m): 10:08am On Jun 06, 2007
Ok. That was also the reason for getting into the discussion in the first place because setting up a complete website from scratch under 3 days is not a big deal for someone that knows what he/she is doing.

I only put down the site to prove that indeed it can be done considering the fact that the site even took about 36hrs to build including image resizing and compression, database planning and setup, programming and the basic design that was implemented.
Re: The Poor State Of Nigerian Bank Websites by segebee(m): 7:49pm On Jun 06, 2007
where do i start

at least i finally got u back here and like ace said u asked for the critique

maybe a site can be designed in 3 days esp using dweaver etc bt a good site no!

u said somethin about database, i didn't see the use on the site sad

which ignorance: for ur information, i wrote the html for most parts of the site and uploaded it
and its only cos its free and revenue from ads isn't going to b mine that i boned it,

i will soon shock you, i finished working on the order section of kingdomaqua.com and i'll send the admin link to ur
mail for u to see and kip quiet
i asked not begged 2cents to work wt him cos as we all know "the guy is good" and i wanted to gain from
his xperience esp in seo if u know what it means

i see u've worked wt danfo's b4 cheesy sad

what else, im working on an exchange project which u'll see is top class

finally, proverbs says answer Bleep in a way in which he won't feel he's wise
so long!
Re: The Poor State Of Nigerian Bank Websites by Afam(m): 9:50am On Jun 07, 2007
segebee:

u said somethin about database, i didn't see the use on the site sad

You won't see it because you don't know much about databases.

Do you imagine that the images are just pasted there? Half knowledge is dangerous, try to learn before talking nonsense.

God gave you 2 ears and 1 mouth so naturally you should listen more than you talk especially when you know nothing about what you are saying.
Re: The Poor State Of Nigerian Bank Websites by segebee(m): 8:54pm On Jun 08, 2007
Afam:

You won't see it because you don't know much about databases.

hello! im an oracleDBA

anyway, im wrong about the images and that's cool if u decided to store the links in d dbase
or store the image itself bt u must agree its underused in d site

gat nothing else 2 say man

bt shld this end like this cool

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Remove Sora Template Copyright / Configure Proxy Settings In Mozilla Firefox / Active Facebook Group For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.