Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,177,415 members, 7,901,160 topics. Date: Friday, 26 July 2024 at 03:02 AM

Abia Kidnapping: Catholic Priest, Lg Boss, 100 Others Arrested - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Abia Kidnapping: Catholic Priest, Lg Boss, 100 Others Arrested (1988 Views)

Victor Umeh Receiving Prayers From Catholic Priest Before Arrest - Photos / T.Y. Danjuma Wants Dokubo-Asari, Tompolo, Others Arrested / Edo Assembly Suspends LG Boss Over Illegal Trip Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Abia Kidnapping: Catholic Priest, Lg Boss, 100 Others Arrested by pete11213: 1:13pm On Oct 15, 2010
Abia kidnapping: Catholic priest, LG boss, 100 others arrested
From OKEY SAMPSON, Aba
Friday, October 15, 2010

More Stories on This Section

The Catholic Priest of St. Michael’s Parish, Umuezi, Mgboko, in Obingwa Local Government Area and the Transition Committee Chairman,Ukwa West Local Government Area, Chief Henry Nwokemgbede were among the over 100 persons so far arrested by soldiers over alleged cases of kidnappings in Abia State, particularly, in Aba, the commercial nerve centre.

The arrests were made in the past two weeks the soldiers had been in operation in the area. Disclosing this while conducting newsmen round some dislodged camps of the kidnappers at Umuezi, Obingwa Local Government and Asa in Ukwa West Local Government, the Assistant Army Public Relations Officer, 82 Div., Enugu , Lt. Col. Sagir Musa said the cleric was arrested over strong evidence that linked him with the crime.

He said that when soldiers stormed the camp of a kidnap kingpin simply called Susu in Umuezi, it was discovered that the priest did not only lease out part of his official quarters to the kidnappers, he also converted the church building to a rest house for the hoodlums.
According to him, “the Revd Father allegedly aided the boys who were into kidnapping along the Obingwa axis. To prove the point, when a search was conducted in his Sport Utility Vehicle (SUV) parked inside his compound, five expended live ammunition were recovered.

“Again the boys used the building next to his house and were coming to fetch water at his place since there was no water in the camp. Just behind the priest’s house were recovered several used live ammunition, two bank safes, and empty boxes of ammunition,” he said

At the entrance to the kidnappers’ camp within the church which was fortified with sandbags, was a signpost with the inscription: “Welcome to amnesty camp, Abia State – Let peace reign.”
Musa further said at Umuezi, a native doctor who specializes in making charms for the kidnappers to hypnotize their victims escaped into the bush.”

He said the Catholic Priest had been handed over to the SSS for proper interrogation, stressing that if found culpable, he would be punished according to the law. While the priest is still undergoing interrogation, the local government chairman who was also arrested about two weeks ago had been taken to court and remanded in prison custody.

The army PRO who said the exercise was ongoing and further arrests could be made, took journalists to Asa High School in the outskirts of the city where 21 assorted vehicles recovered from different forests were parked.
Re: Abia Kidnapping: Catholic Priest, Lg Boss, 100 Others Arrested by RICHIEBOI1(m): 5:17pm On Oct 15, 2010
lawd have mercy! shocked
Re: Abia Kidnapping: Catholic Priest, Lg Boss, 100 Others Arrested by Nobody: 5:20pm On Oct 15, 2010
Innocent until proven guilty! undecided
Re: Abia Kidnapping: Catholic Priest, Lg Boss, 100 Others Arrested by gidson12(m): 8:20pm On Oct 15, 2010
na wa o
Re: Abia Kidnapping: Catholic Priest, Lg Boss, 100 Others Arrested by londoner: 9:01pm On Oct 15, 2010
Aiding kidnappers was obviously this mans other hustle. He obviously is one of those career "men of God". Going into church "business" because of the money readily available.
Re: Abia Kidnapping: Catholic Priest, Lg Boss, 100 Others Arrested by Nobody: 9:07pm On Oct 15, 2010
The kidnappers may have been confessing to the catholic priest and he kept those informations to himself;forgetting that such amounts to aiding and abetting crime.
Re: Abia Kidnapping: Catholic Priest, Lg Boss, 100 Others Arrested by slap1(m): 7:02am On Oct 16, 2010
I've been to that place and I know the priest in question. Good Lord!
Re: Abia Kidnapping: Catholic Priest, Lg Boss, 100 Others Arrested by james1(m): 7:26am On Oct 16, 2010
Things happen.
Re: Abia Kidnapping: Catholic Priest, Lg Boss, 100 Others Arrested by slap1(m): 7:53am On Oct 16, 2010
I know that priest and his family wella! (no joking). I just read this thread and was shocked to the bone when I saw the name of the church and something about an SUV. . . He was transfered to that church last year and I was among the guys that helped him carry his property over. He has four cars: a V-boot Mercedes, a 2008 Isuzu Trooper, a 2008 Cherokee jeep and a Toyota Sequia jeep. I recall playing football in the said primary school with some of those boys for the two days we were there. We saw them as harmless dudes, although we saw their guns, because they told us they were not going to harm us, that they just want to play football with us. That was last year and this kidnapping thing has not even started and we took them for local thieves. The priest himself has a gun, a pump-action riffle he used to scare miscreants away during bazaar sales. We're yet to confirm if he is the actual person but that is the name of the church and village. It's a very small church and has only one priest. Some months ago he travelled to America, I thought he was yet to return till I read this story. If I confirm that he is really the one, I MIGHT post his name, and his picture. His name is a French name which means 'Goodluck', that's all I can say for now. If you're in Aba, get a copy of REX newspaper, published by the catholic diocese of Aba tomorrow, and you're sure to get the story. But I think he is innocent.
Re: Abia Kidnapping: Catholic Priest, Lg Boss, 100 Others Arrested by fxmaxony(m): 8:32am On Oct 16, 2010
Haba @slap1,

after writing all these, even playing football with the thieves and the pastor having gun and all stuffs, you still said he is innocent.
Re: Abia Kidnapping: Catholic Priest, Lg Boss, 100 Others Arrested by slap1(m): 8:55am On Oct 16, 2010
fxmaxony:

Haba @slap1,

after writing all these, even playing football with the thieves and the pastor having gun and all stuffs, you still said he is innocent.
I said I THINK he is innocent. And he had the gun BEFORE coming to my area, stayed for nearly four years before moving to Obingwa last year. I've confirmed that he's the one, he just came back from abroad last month. He was arrested alongside two of his brothers, a 16 yr old house help and a female servant studying Management at Abia State Poly. They've all been released, except the priest. The soldiers broke the head and arm of one of his brothers. I KNOW THESE PEOPLE, THEY ARE INNOCENT!
Re: Abia Kidnapping: Catholic Priest, Lg Boss, 100 Others Arrested by RICHIEBOI1(m): 12:01pm On Oct 16, 2010
@slap1, obviously you have a case to answer here with police maybe as a witness.
Re: Abia Kidnapping: Catholic Priest, Lg Boss, 100 Others Arrested by slap1(m): 12:19pm On Oct 16, 2010
^^Taa mechie onu!
Re: Abia Kidnapping: Catholic Priest, Lg Boss, 100 Others Arrested by Abagworo(m): 12:20pm On Oct 16, 2010
slap1:

I said I THINK he is innocent. And he had the gun BEFORE coming to my area, stayed for nearly four years before moving to Obingwa last year. I've confirmed that he's the one, he just came back from abroad last month. He was arrested alongside two of his brothers, a 16 yr old house help and a female servant studying Management at Abia State Poly. They've all been released, except the priest. The soldiers broke the head and arm of one of his brothers. I KNOW THESE PEOPLE, THEY ARE INNOCENT!

Thank you very much for giving a true information.Nigeria is a country full of lies and deceit where the Government frame up innocent people to score political points.
Re: Abia Kidnapping: Catholic Priest, Lg Boss, 100 Others Arrested by karlken(m): 12:43pm On Oct 16, 2010
I am a catholic bt cant vouch for some priests.that priest surely has some case to answer.the evidence is overwhelming!
Re: Abia Kidnapping: Catholic Priest, Lg Boss, 100 Others Arrested by FACE(m): 1:59pm On Oct 16, 2010
slap1:

I recall playing football in the said primary school with some of those boys for the two days we were there. We saw them as harmless dudes, although we saw their guns, because they told us they were not going to harm us, that they just want to play football with us. That was last year and this kidnapping thing has not even started and we took them for local thieves. The priest himself has a gun, a pump-action riffle he used to scare miscreants away during bazaar sales.

You played football with the fellas that lived around the church, you saw their guns, thought they were local thieves and still imagined that they were harmless ? Were you just naive, plain silly or are you the type of person that would continue to condone evil as long as you don't feel threatened ?

The priest may not have been involved in the act but it is unlikely that he was unaware of a defensive sandbag in front of the building next to his residence, which was set up by gun wielding civilians. It was his moral duty to report such development to the right authorities . What about those that worship at the church ? Were they also naive like Slap 1 ?
Re: Abia Kidnapping: Catholic Priest, Lg Boss, 100 Others Arrested by ogb5(m): 10:07pm On Oct 16, 2010
I Strongly doubt that the catholic priest is guilty.

FACE:

You played football with the fellas that lived around the church, you saw their guns, thought they were local thieves and still imagined that they were harmless ? Were you just naive, plain silly or are you the type of person that would continue to condone evil as long as you don't feel threatened ?

The priest may not have been involved in the act but it is unlikely that he was unaware of a defensive sandbag in front of the building next to his residence, which was set up by gun wielding civilians. It was his moral duty to report such development to the right authorities . What about those that worship at the church ? Were they also naive like Slap 1 ?

check the bolded section. which right authority should the priest have reported to. did the authorities say they are not aware of those doing the kidnappings or where they reside?

on the Aba /PH there is a police checkpoint/Anti terrorist and FRSC checkpoint every 700metres. at any point on that road you are in sight of at least 2 checkpoints, yet all these kidnappings were happening under the full view of the police.

Those who reported to the police were either killed by the kidnappers or chased out of the villages. some of the village chiefs that opposed the kidnappers are still living in exile till today.
until they arrest all the police that were aiding and abbeting the kidnapping justice will not be served
Re: Abia Kidnapping: Catholic Priest, Lg Boss, 100 Others Arrested by aru11: 10:23pm On Oct 16, 2010
I strongly believe Slap1 have a case to answer too. for the information u have given here, I bet you will be apprehended as well, you even play football with them, and u were thinking they are local thief.

One questions for you.
Are the said Kidnappers foreign or international kidnappers or the armed robbers international robbers?

If u know ur innocent let me have ur number and address so that we can visit you on monday.
Re: Abia Kidnapping: Catholic Priest, Lg Boss, 100 Others Arrested by essentialone(m): 4:48am On Nov 28, 2023
What na later happened?
Re: Abia Kidnapping: Catholic Priest, Lg Boss, 100 Others Arrested by Dhury: 5:59am On Nov 28, 2023
Later They will be blaming cattle dealer's for kidnapping in abia state.

(1) (Reply)

Mimiko: Why Nigerian Leaders Steal Public Funds • Urges Women To Protest Na Ked / Jos Nigeria: New Wave Of Violence Leaves 200 Dead / 1,075 Rivers Ex-militants Rejected At Training Camp

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.