Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,189,750 members, 7,938,302 topics. Date: Monday, 02 September 2024 at 10:09 PM

Is Doing Phd Really Worth It In My Own Case. Please Advice. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Is Doing Phd Really Worth It In My Own Case. Please Advice. (1196 Views)

In Your Own Case, You Have A Cruel Master As Your Guardian / Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? / Is Spending N16M On A 3-Year Ph.D In The UK Worth It? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Doing Phd Really Worth It In My Own Case. Please Advice. by Dereformer(m): 12:19pm On Aug 01, 2019
I currently have the follow qualifications:

Bsc (Accounting)
Msc (Finance)

FCA,

Acca-Dip(IFR).

I am currently 45.

Assume I decide to do a Phd and put the expected time of completion at 10 years(worst possible time),
I will be 55 at graduation.

Is it really worth it or should I start thinking of doing something else with my life.

Candid advice will be appreciated.
Re: Is Doing Phd Really Worth It In My Own Case. Please Advice. by Nobody: 12:52pm On Aug 01, 2019
Do you have a ready or likely opportunity that you want to use your PhD for? If yes then your age doesn't matter. If no then don't waste your time.
Re: Is Doing Phd Really Worth It In My Own Case. Please Advice. by Dereformer(m): 3:18pm On Aug 01, 2019
GISpro:
Do you have a ready or likely opportunity that you want to use your PhD for? If yes then your age doesn't matter. If no then don't waste your time.

Thanks. Still waiting for more comments.
Re: Is Doing Phd Really Worth It In My Own Case. Please Advice. by generationz(f): 5:46pm On Aug 01, 2019
Dereformer:

Bsc (Accounting)
Msc (Finance)

FCA,

Acca-Dip(IFR).

I am currently 45.

Assume I decide to do a Phd and put the expected time of completion at 10 years(worst possible time),

Is it really worth it or should I start thinking of doing something else with my life.

Evenif you don't do PhD , in ten years time you will still be 55. undecided
You understand, right?

3 Likes

Re: Is Doing Phd Really Worth It In My Own Case. Please Advice. by Nobody: 6:43pm On Aug 01, 2019
If the Money de to do am go ahead
Re: Is Doing Phd Really Worth It In My Own Case. Please Advice. by Nobody: 7:47pm On Aug 01, 2019
If it will cost you 10 years to do PhD in a reputable public university in Nigeria then i advice you travel to Kenya or Malaysia as i learnt it is 2years over there. The opportunity cost of spending 10 years in a public university is forgone if you choose Kenyan or Malaysia universities.PhD is PhD whether it is from Nigeria or otherwise.

2 Likes

Re: Is Doing Phd Really Worth It In My Own Case. Please Advice. by jesmond3945: 8:51pm On Aug 01, 2019
asuustrike1:
If it will cost you 10 years to do PhD in a reputable public university in Nigeria then advice you travel to Kenya or Malaysia as i learnt it is 2years over there. The opportunity cost of spending 10 years in a public university is forgone if you choose Kenyan or Malaysia universities.PhD is PhD whether it is from Nigeria or otherwise.
phd is not phd. Somebody who has phd in animal science is not the same as the one who has phd in law. Their experience and contribution differs as well as their reward.
Re: Is Doing Phd Really Worth It In My Own Case. Please Advice. by jesmond3945: 8:56pm On Aug 01, 2019
Dereformer:

Bsc (Accounting)
Msc (Finance)

FCA,

Acca-Dip(IFR).

I am currently 45.

op is highly worth it but is not for everyone. If you do a phd because you want to answer a doc it would take you years but if you have passion for knowledge and problem solving then you would only spend the required minimum of years. Phd is all about logical argument why your approach is the best option. You might even invent something new that would solve a problem in the accounting world and you become a big boy for that.
Re: Is Doing Phd Really Worth It In My Own Case. Please Advice. by Dereformer(m): 10:16pm On Aug 01, 2019
generationz:

Evenif you don't do PhD , in ten years time you will still be 55. undecided
You understand, right?

This speaks volume

3 Likes

Re: Is Doing Phd Really Worth It In My Own Case. Please Advice. by Nobody: 12:11am On Aug 02, 2019
jesmond3945:
phd is not phd. Somebody who has phd in animal science is not the same as the one who has phd in law. Their experience and contribution differs as well as their reward.
Ok
Re: Is Doing Phd Really Worth It In My Own Case. Please Advice. by Dereformer(m): 10:54am On Aug 02, 2019
Dereformer:

Bsc (Accounting)
Msc (Finance)

FCA,

Acca-Dip(IFR).

I am currently 45.

Re: Is Doing Phd Really Worth It In My Own Case. Please Advice. by Bifrost: 1:14pm On Aug 02, 2019
asuustrike1:
If it will cost you 10 years to do PhD in a reputable public university in Nigeria then advice you travel to Kenya or Malaysia as i learnt it is 2years over there. The opportunity cost of spending 10 years in a public university is forgone if you choose Kenyan or Malaysia universities.PhD is PhD whether it is from Nigeria or otherwise.

By the way, PhD is absolutely free to pursue in most (if not all) countries in Europe.
But the question is, why is he doing the PhD? Does the poster have a clear picture of what he needs the PhD for?
Is he considering going into Academics? Don't do PhD just to have Dr. attached to your name.

My candid advice.
Re: Is Doing Phd Really Worth It In My Own Case. Please Advice. by Nobody: 4:44pm On Aug 02, 2019
Bifrost:

By the way, PhD is absolutely free to pursue in most (if not all) countries in Europe.
But the question is, why is he doing the PhD? Does the poster have a clear picture of what he needs the PhD for?
Is he considering going into Academics? Don't do PhD just to have Dr. attached to your name.

My candid advice.
From his write up you might perceive the rational behind it. The cost isn't the money but the number of years spent. The unnecessary delays is uncalled for especially in this part of this world.
Re: Is Doing Phd Really Worth It In My Own Case. Please Advice. by Dereformer(m): 5:19pm On Aug 04, 2019
Bifrost:

My candid advice.

Of course, ultimate desire is to go into academics.

Let me explain my dilema a little.

The retirement age in the company I currently work is 55 years.

If I stay till retirement, i.e. 10 years from now, it will be difficult to start any business at that time.

Alternatively, I can do a PhD and go to academics after retirement.

Another alternative is to start grooming a business from now while still working so to have something to fall back on immediately after retirement.

Please what do you suggest.

1 Like

Re: Is Doing Phd Really Worth It In My Own Case. Please Advice. by Tony142: 8:05pm On Aug 04, 2019
Forget about PhD, instead go and make money, when u have money and have become rich, u can buy PhD degree from any university with your money, infact university will be looking for u to give u PhD degree for free, if dangote need 100 PhD degree today enh, trust me he can get Dem without even going to school cheesy
Re: Is Doing Phd Really Worth It In My Own Case. Please Advice. by samtol4(m): 8:40pm On Aug 04, 2019
Dereformer:

Bsc (Accounting)
Msc (Finance)

FCA,

Acca-Dip(IFR).

I am currently 45.

Why PhD for 10 years ? Only in Nigeria you spend 10years
South Africa has funding for PhD and u finish between 2-4 years ,USA,UK and other European countries 4-5. No country in the world u do PhD for 10years . Go ahead do your finding and enrolled in PhD program ,age not a barrier
Re: Is Doing Phd Really Worth It In My Own Case. Please Advice. by samtol4(m): 8:43pm On Aug 04, 2019
Tony142:
Forget about PhD, instead go and make money, when u have money and have become rich, u can buy PhD degree from any university with your money, infact university will be looking for u to give u PhD degree for free, if dangote need 100 PhD degree today enh, trust me he can get Dem without even going to school cheesy
dubious advice ." U can buy PhD "
Re: Is Doing Phd Really Worth It In My Own Case. Please Advice. by Dereformer(m): 8:05am On Aug 09, 2019
Dereformer:

Of course, ultimate desire is to go into academics.

Let me explain my dilema a little.

The retirement age in the company I currently work is 55 years.

If I stay till retirement, i.e. 10 years from now, it will be difficult to start any business at that time.

Alternatively, I can do a PhD and go to academics after retirement.

Another alternative is to start grooming a business from now while still working so to have something to fall back on immediately after retirement.

Please what do you suggest.

(1) (Reply)

Chrisland School Produces Best Female Candidate In WASSCE 2018, Gets Award / 11 Simple Ways To Improve Your Memory / OAU ODL Graduates Second Set Nursing Students

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.