Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,619 members, 7,888,976 topics. Date: Saturday, 13 July 2024 at 07:38 PM

Attracted to your opposite. Will it last? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Attracted to your opposite. Will it last? (702 Views)

How Do U Feel When Your Opposite Sex Touch Your P.part? / Taking Bathe Together With Your Opposite Sex Siblings / A Resounding Lie That Your Opposite sex Has ever Told You. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Attracted to your opposite. Will it last? by MyneWhite1(f): 6:55am On Oct 17, 2010
Some say that opposites attract. I’ll have to be honest here and say yes they do. This is the only reason it is even acceptable in romantic comedies and romance novels. There is research, from the psychological to the biological to the social, to bear out the theory. Women are attracted by the smell of men with a different gene pool than theirs. High-strung people want a partner who will act as a calming influence on their tempers and even the bad boy wants a nice girl to take home to mama. Analogies are given with the north and south poles of a magnet and the reason more people are heterosexual. Yeah, opposites do attract but for how long?

You see, differences creates an initial attraction – one person has traits that the other doesn't or vice versa and for some people, this is exciting; in other words, attractive. So in the right circumstances, these two people will get together. They believe they are in love. During the honeymoon phase of the relationship, they may be able to work around their differences – read, they don’t sweat the small stuff - but what about the long term? Let’s look at some examples; one’s a vegetarian, the other loves beef, one’s introverted and the other an extrovert, one loves football and the other hates all things sports; or an extreme one where one is a frugal control freak and the other an impulsive spend thrift. Just imagine two such people in a marriage with maybe one or two children. I can’t see it, lol.

I know by now, some of you are thinking in your head about those your friends or relatives who have been dating or married for donkey years and who are polar opposites. Hold your horses please. Let us consider this very well. Remember ‘birds of the same feather flock together’, or ‘show me your friends and I’ll tell you who you are’? These sayings are referring usually to a person’s beliefs, the substance that makes the personality. And this is the key to any relationship; our values. It doesn’t matter what we see on the outside, differences in looks, activities, likes and dislikes, most people who appear to be opposites actually share a similar way of looking at life. Though they may show this perspective in differing ways, the things they hold dear and what they value are the same.

Like I said earlier, relationships with opposites usually start off quickly and well. This is because they are largely based on sexual attraction or simply lust. However, these feelings are short-lived and in the long run, may not be enough to make a relationship work. The mismatch between opposites is more obvious in the long term because personality and attitude traits often come out later, as a relationship progresses out of the initial stages. The effort necessary to resolve differences means that emotional cracks normal in most relationships deepen more easily. The people who become too involved too quickly before they realize these differences will usually begin to feel unfulfilled and look for a way out.

The fact is that most people will only remain happy and at peace together when their basic life values agree. If the couple don’t want or need the same things, and have different values and beliefs, that relationship may be bound for failure. Some will argue that being opposites can work when differences are given less importance and both people are open-minded, and have the ability to compromise and communicate. But how many of us have this ability and how many will go the long haul? It is very few of us are that are saints or martyrs, so it is not surprising that most times, real differences create conflict and eventually lead to the bitter breakup of opposites in a romantic relationship.

So this is my final answer to our question. Opposites may attract but they rarely stay together in long term relationships. Yes, opposites may attract during times of high sexual tension, like in dating, courtship and the early months of a marriage. However, opposites will certainly clash when it comes to differing personality traits, attitudes and values, especially in the long term.

About the Author

Award winning Myne Whitman published her first novel, A Heart to Mend, in December 2009. The Nigerian author is a popular blogger and also writes for BellaNaija, Afrikan Goddess, Femme Lounge, and other online publications.

http://www.amazon.com/Heart-Mend-Myne-Whitman/dp/1449047505/ref=pd_rhf_p_t_1
Re: Attracted to your opposite. Will it last? by madlady(f): 7:02am On Oct 17, 2010
I total agree with the saying birds of a feather flock together .
Re: Attracted to your opposite. Will it last? by iice(f): 12:30pm On Oct 17, 2010
Not much for opposite type. There has to be some similarity for things to gel long enough. So yeah i totally agree with the basic life values thing. Not to say some opposites don't work out, just not for me. I love a stress free life and will happily flatten whoever tries to tamper with my serene atmosphere grin

madlady:

I total agree with the saying birds of a feather flock together .

I don't. Quite a number of people get mistakenly judged by that. Yourself included i'm sure.

I believe more in the deviousness of humans. Someone in a flock can very well be under a facade, and the rest will be clueless till the person bites them in the bum.
Re: Attracted to your opposite. Will it last? by madlady(f): 12:46pm On Oct 17, 2010
iice:

Not much for opposite type. There has to be some similarity for things to gel long enough. So yeah i totally agree with the basic life values thing. Not to say some opposites don't work out, just not for me. I love a stress free life and will happily flatten whoever tries to tamper with my serene atmosphere grin

I don't. Quite a number of people get mistakenly judged by that. Yourself included i'm sure.

I believe more in the deviousness of humans. Someone in a flock can very well be under a facade, and the rest will be clueless till the person bites them in the bum.

@iice you know I respect your opinions but on this I'm out.

I really do thing people stick to their own TYPE,  the birds of a feather saying maybe a little too pat but, trying to fit a round peg into a square hole will just lead to the peg feeling very inferior.
Re: Attracted to your opposite. Will it last? by iice(f): 12:57pm On Oct 17, 2010
But are people really with their type or do they just 'think' they are with their type? How sure can one be that their type is actually not their type until like i said, they get bitten in the bum
Whilst i agree with the peg = round/square = inferiority thing, I'm just saying some people get labeled erroneously because of the flock.
Re: Attracted to your opposite. Will it last? by madlady(f): 1:07pm On Oct 17, 2010
Yes I agree the "birds of a feather" saying does not always run true.

Sticking to your own type makes life less complicated (for me it does anyway embarassed) you THINK you know what they are capable of doing but, your right you can and do still get bitten on the bum.
Re: Attracted to your opposite. Will it last? by iice(f): 1:16pm On Oct 17, 2010
Lol it works for me too. But sometimes i like to mix things a little so long as the basic values are similar.

madlady:
you THINK you know what they are capable of doing but, your right you can and do still get bitten on the bum.
That's the scariest part!
Re: Attracted to your opposite. Will it last? by MrCork21: 1:29pm On Oct 17, 2010
as long as she gots punny, it willl last!! wink
Re: Attracted to your opposite. Will it last? by MrCork21: 1:37pm On Oct 17, 2010
actualy if u atrracted to a nigerian woman, it shudunt last, they are opposite(no oofeinse)
Re: Attracted to your opposite. Will it last? by omohwunmmy: 2:30pm On Oct 17, 2010
^grow up!
@topic:
In d things dat matter and represent value(religion, ethics, finances etc), couples must b of like mind. But in things dat can b compromised like personality and lifestyle then been opposites wont b a bad idea. I cant imagine dating an introvert like myself; we will bore each other to tears and kill d relationship. Everyone needs another to b strong in areas u are weak. Not opposites but one who can compliment u.
Re: Attracted to your opposite. Will it last? by madlady(f): 2:44pm On Oct 17, 2010
omohwunmmy:

^grow up!
@topic:
In d things dat matter and represent value(religion, ethics, finances etc), couples must b of like mind. But in things dat can b compromised like personality and lifestyle then been opposites wont b a bad idea. I cant imagine dating an introvert like myself; we will bore each other to tears and kill d relationship. Everyone needs another to b strong in areas u are weak.

Not opposites but one who can compliment u.

Yes that would be ideal, the best of both worlds.
Re: Attracted to your opposite. Will it last? by MrCork21: 2:50pm On Oct 17, 2010
Nigerian women are oppsitte and MOBO can proof it. ok, when do men always grow with hair

within 2 week when they start dating Nigerian women? , Answer: strress!! (no oofeinse)
Re: Attracted to your opposite. Will it last? by MyneWhite1(f): 4:19pm On Oct 18, 2010
What does this mean?

Mr-Cork:

Nigerian women are oppsitte and MOBO can proof it. ok, when do men always grow with hair

within 2 week when they start dating Nigerian women? , Answer: strress!! (no oofeinse)

Re: Attracted to your opposite. Will it last? by MissyB3(f): 6:24pm On Oct 18, 2010
Mr cork eh. grin grin grin
Re: Attracted to your opposite. Will it last? by Omolola1(f): 6:26pm On Oct 18, 2010
Oh yes, it will! its fun actually
Re: Attracted to your opposite. Will it last? by MyneWhite1(f): 7:50pm On Oct 18, 2010
Can you give some instances?

Omolola1:

Oh yes, it will! its fun actually

(1) (Reply)

What To Talk About On A Date / Re: Ladies Seriously / A Wife And A Girlfriend

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.