Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,184,670 members, 7,924,185 topics. Date: Sunday, 18 August 2024 at 04:24 AM

Kenyan MP Returns To India To Repay Greengrocer’s 30-year-old Debt Of ₦1,052.74 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Kenyan MP Returns To India To Repay Greengrocer’s 30-year-old Debt Of ₦1,052.74 (299 Views)

Fani-kayode Says Nigeria Owes Atiku Debt Of Gratitude, Gives Reason / 30-Year-Old Uche Annie Okonkwo Who Defeated Chidoka, In Rep Election / Vandefan Tersugh: It Raises Suspicion For A 20 - 30 Year-Old To Have N7m Car (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Kenyan MP Returns To India To Repay Greengrocer’s 30-year-old Debt Of ₦1,052.74 by 68816419: 12:11pm On Aug 04, 2019
A Kenyan Member of Parliament this week traveled to India to settle a 30-year-old debt of Rs200 (about Sh300) owed to a greengrocer.

Nyaribari Chache MP Richard Tong’i returned to the Asian country to repay the Indian greengrocer, who sold him vegetables on credit about three decades ago.

MP Tong'i accumulated the debt while studying in India between 1985 and 1989. The politician was taking management studies at a local college in Aurangabad, a city in the state of Maharashtra.

During the period, Tong'i made friends with Kashinath Gawli, who operated a grocery at Wankhedenagar locality where the MP resided.

“I could not believe my eyes,” Gawli told India Today after the MP's visit.

Tong’i visited the septuagenarian alongside his wife Michelle.

“As a student in Aurangabad, I was at my lowest point, when these people (Gawlis) helped me. Then I thought that someday, I will come back and (re)pay. I want to say thank you. This is so emotional for me,” a teary MP Tong'i said.

“God bless the old man (Gawli) and his children. They were wonderful to me. They wanted to take me to a hotel for a meal but I insisted that we should eat at their house."

Tong'i's wife Michelle said: "Richard had mentioned the Gawli family many times and I am happy to meet them now. There are many good people in this country."

Re: Kenyan MP Returns To India To Repay Greengrocer’s 30-year-old Debt Of ₦1,052.74 by Nobody: 12:23pm On Aug 04, 2019
Politian with a conscience or eye for publicity. Our politicians should fulfill their electoral debts.

(1) (Reply)

Again, ICPC Recover N117M Worth Of Constituency Project Items (pictures) / Senate President Lawan Shares Photo From Hajj Trip / …thugs Rule In Rivers Markets, Force Multiple Illegal Taxes On Petty Traders

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 6
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.