Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,179,065 members, 7,906,941 topics. Date: Wednesday, 31 July 2024 at 07:24 PM

My Girlfriend-as With Me. - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / My Girlfriend-as With Me. (1165 Views)

Romantic Or Not? Man Bought A Ferrari For His Girlfriend As A Birthday Gift / See what A Lover Bought For His Girlfriend As Birthday Gift(pics) / Guys, Can You Buy A Bra For Your Girlfriend As A Gift? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Girlfriend-as With Me. by rabstyle: 1:07pm On May 14, 2007
i have this seriuos girl friend whom am into serious relationship with but the problem is that i just found out she has her genotype as AS while am AS,what do u advise i should do cos am confused.
Re: My Girlfriend-as With Me. by chuckdee4(m): 2:39pm On May 14, 2007
I'm no doctor but the fact that she's an AS isn't entirely a bad thing, it really depends on what u are. If you're an AA then there's no need to worry. On the other hand if ure an AS then there is a chance that one child out of 4 might end up being a sickler, not entirely sure how the whole thing works but go n speak to a doctore and most importantly check 2 see if ur a carrier or just an AA
Re: My Girlfriend-as With Me. by uyai(f): 6:35pm On May 14, 2007
Look at it this way, every time you conceive you'l have a 25% chance of getting a sickler SS, 50% chance of getting one with the trait AS, and then 25% chance of getting AA, a none carrier. You have 75% chance of not getting a sickler.

If you really love the girl, go ahead. the probablility of getting a sickler is only 25%. Just pray about it.
Re: My Girlfriend-as With Me. by BBoy3(m): 6:45pm On May 14, 2007
uyai:

Look at it this way, every time you conceive you'l have a 25% chance of getting a sickler SS, 50% chance of getting one with the trait AS, and then 25% chance of getting AA, a none carrier. You have 75% chance of not getting a sickler.
If you really love the girl, go ahead. the probablility of getting a sickler is only 25%. Just pray about it.

She has said it all for me as well, if you truly love her go ahead as it is a 1 in 4 chance of you conceiving a SS blood-type. In this day and age the medical and detection capabilities are far more advanced than previous decades. Just ensure you consult your doctor when you start thinking of starting a family.
Re: My Girlfriend-as With Me. by McDoe(m): 10:28am On May 15, 2007
Men, dont just leap into the marriage like that. Do all necessary consultations and tests including good counselling. This is because, for one to have a sickler is a big set-back to the family. I have seen families with such problems. The agonizing aspect is when the child is in crisis period. It really hurts! Seeing the child groan over pains and crying with little or nothing to do to save the situation can be agonizing. Such situation affects every person that is close to the child. Emotionally, the parents will be down and highly disillusioned. Therefore, it will always be wise to avoid relationships that can yield such heart rendering problems. Therefore make your suppose fiancee to understand these things in order for both of you to appreciate same and work out a solution for yourselves.
Re: My Girlfriend-as With Me. by efuah(f): 10:45am On May 15, 2007
uyai:

Perfect
Re: My Girlfriend-as With Me. by bebe2007(m): 11:51am On May 15, 2007
Am so sorry. Wish you had known earlier. My advice is not to marry this girl ok. I know people have said the chances of having a sickle cell baby can be controlled or monitored these days unlike in the past. My question is this CAN YOU AFFORD IT? its easier said than done.If you live in naija you would know that we do not have free health care system like NHS in England. Every penny is from your pocket. Another point, HOW COMFORTABLE WOULD YOUR WOMAN BE: WHEN IT COMES TO FLUSHING THE CHILD OFF EACH TIME ITS SS someone told me a story recently about a couple just like your case, AS and AS. They have been married for 4yrs now. She got pregnant a few times and they had to get rid of the baby cuz it was SS. She was not comfortable with that at all. It has affected her psychological and she can't seem to get pregnant again. They have been trying now for 2yrs.

Why go through such hassles when you can marry someone else and live a normal happy, Hospital-free, Doctor poking free life. You must think very hard i beg of you.
Re: My Girlfriend-as With Me. by cuteass1(f): 1:03am On May 17, 2007
I kind of agree with bebe2007, love isn't all it takes peeps, circumstances like this can lead to hatred and anger along the road, and always remember that the love isn't always like it was in the beginning, what then??

Please take time to think about the whole thing, its not a 2minutes decision, both of you should sit and discuss it too, be assured of what you're going into. 25% isn't that much, but on the other hand it is much sad

I'm sure if you ask some of these aready sickler-parents, they might tell you they would have chosen differently if they could turn the hands of the clock (and please merk that i said some)

Both of you should visit a capable physician and talk and think and talk. If at the end of the day you feel you can beat the odds, why the hell not?? But please just be sure wink
Re: My Girlfriend-as With Me. by oreofemi(f): 3:30am On May 20, 2007
If you want to go on,you can but there are a lot of dangers in it ,but if you really love her ,you can do it boyfriend.
Re: My Girlfriend-as With Me. by rock2(m): 4:38am On May 20, 2007
@uyai, efuah, oreofemi

I'm really dissappointed that anybody would give this guy the slightest encouragement to do such a thing. I'm sure you ladies don't know what you're saying. marrying this girl is like killing some of your children before they are born cos it's hard for a child with sickle cell to live a totally fulfilling life. you cant just think about only yourself and forget your children. Any of your children that happens to be a sickler and knows you had the knowledge of it before he/she was born will always blame you. remember that health is wealth. These percentages this pple are quoting here is DECEPTIVE. you could have 4 children with 3 sicklers. YES, you can.

Dont bother praying to God about it because he has done something by bringing it to your knowledge. unless you wanna ask him to change yours to AA. Its just like a man that wants to shoot himself in the head and is praying to God to survive it. Its best you DONT just try it.
Re: My Girlfriend-as With Me. by uyai(f): 4:10am On May 21, 2007
@ rock. i respect your opinion, what you've said is true. I was using EXACT science to based my response. Like it or not those are the pobability of getting healthy or sick kids .
Re: My Girlfriend-as With Me. by Aproko(f): 11:29am On May 21, 2007
@ topic,

i know a guy whose parents are both AS. there are 8 of them, 7 are AS and 1 AA, non of them SS. sometimes, science cannot explain it all. if you are still young, you could look for someone else and avoid the risk. if you are so in love and you think you can take the risk, then go ahead.

(1) (Reply)

Men What Do u really Want In A Woman / Hey Guys: What's The Deal? / To Omo Eko And Fekuti

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.