Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,859 members, 7,889,869 topics. Date: Sunday, 14 July 2024 at 11:13 PM

How Plaster Of Paris ( P.O.P) Got Its Name. - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / How Plaster Of Paris ( P.O.P) Got Its Name. (589 Views)

Exquisite And Modern Italian Decorative plaster Designs for your Home and Office / Exquisite And Modern Plaster Of Paris (POP) Designs At Affordable Price / The Benefits Of Plaster Of Paris (pop) From Make It Fine Interior And 8061619312 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Plaster Of Paris ( P.O.P) Got Its Name. by Metrodepot: 6:28am On Aug 08, 2019
Have you ever wondered how Plaster of Paris got it's name? Wondered how a naturally occurring substance that can be found in different parts of the world had to have a name of a European city embedded in its name?

Anyways, Plaster of Paris is Gypsum otherwise known as Calcium Sulphate Hemihydrate found in large amount deposited in the Montmartre hill in Paris. Hence, the name Plaster of Paris.

It is believed that Gypsum was used about 9,000 years ago by the Egyptian, Roman and Greek civilisations, although in small quantities. It wasn't until 1700's that it was required to be used in large quantity for construction in Paris.

After, the huge fire incidence that ravaged many parts of the Great city of London in 1666, the King of France at the time instructed that all wooden wall be replaced with Plaster of Paris (Gypsum) to prevent the bad experience in London from taking place in his City. This resulted in the large scale mining of gypsum in Paris, making it the centre of Plaster Production.

Re: How Plaster Of Paris ( P.O.P) Got Its Name. by tolugar: 7:02am On Aug 08, 2019
Nice

Is it fire resistant?
Re: How Plaster Of Paris ( P.O.P) Got Its Name. by Metrodepot: 10:08pm On Aug 08, 2019
tolugar:
Nice

Is it fire resistant?
Absolutely. In Nigeria and many countries most internal building demarcations are done with Plaster boards for this purpose. Fire proof.
Re: How Plaster Of Paris ( P.O.P) Got Its Name. by officialJP(m): 12:13am On May 28
recently I wanted to learn this skills but people around me keep saying there's no job available after I'm through learning it that I should go for fashion design, barbing or driving. please I'll need your advise on this and I also want to know if after I finished learning it I can use it to work in Germany or any other small country in Europe, thanks

(1) (Reply)

PEACH PALMS, Lekki-Ajah, Lagos selling on promo / Well Furnished 3bdrm Flat For Rent At Old Ikoyi #3m / Units Of Terrace Duplexes For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.