Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,081 members, 7,939,338 topics. Date: Wednesday, 04 September 2024 at 12:06 AM

On Suffering and Depression(An Essay) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / On Suffering and Depression(An Essay) (538 Views)

Substance Abuse And Depression, Denial Or Ignorance? / Suicide And Depression / Fighting Depression As An African (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

On Suffering and Depression(An Essay) by Nobody: 9:25pm On Aug 12, 2019
This essay is actually for the depressed people like me all over the country. You can reach me(text message only please) on my number below this post if you need some of my essays.
I write essays on Depression, Suffering, Suicide and Death.

ON SUFFERINGS AND DEPRESSION

There are good reasons to believe that suffering is an integral part of human existence. We can partition all living people on earth into two classes viz; those who experience suffering and those running away from it by all means. But such a classification is unnecessary because to run away from suffering, one must really suffer.

This clearly shows that suffering (not happiness) is the only thing we humans have in common. some people actually never gets a chance to be happy even for a single day till they die. A good example here is children born with medical complications that live only for some days suffering only to die. In fact, it is impossible to breath in any dose if air in this world into your lungs without experiencing some kind of suffering. We can actually say that suffering is life and that life is suffering. Suffering is the what connects humans if not the only thing we all have in common as humans.

What I find strange is why medical practitioners have yet to classify suffering as a disease. Suffering is literally the only true disease in the world and all other diseases are merely offsprings of it.
Although it is true that I'm also a victim of this disease, suffering has eaten me so deep that I sometimes wish I could explode into nothingness. I must confess that I admire suffering. I admire its form and diversity. I admire its courage; this disease doesn't care about your social status. I admire its efforts, suffering never gives up on its victims; it hunts its victims from childhood to adulthood, and finally to their deathbeds. Its patience is sublime; no matter how long you've managed to keep yourself happy, suffering is always patiently waiting for a day to snatch everything from you and shatter your heart to pieces.

What scares me most in this world is that suffering could actually be the one and only true friend we all have in this world because, no matter how many people give up on us, suffering will always remain in our life and will never leave. Even for those who rejects society and all life has to offer, suffering resides in them as a form of loneliness.
Whoever said the devil is cunning and a big deceiver has probably never tried to analyze suffering. Suffering is probably the only disease that can torture one all through life without one actuality noticing it. In fact, this is actually how suffering works; as a silent killer. The only time we actually feel that we are suffering is when we actually sit down silently to examine life.
People can actually live their lives working as labourers without actually feeling the impact of suffering because these category of people actually do not think beyond mere necessities of life. But on the other hand, one can be well of in life and still be aware of emptiness of existence. To be sure, thinking is positively correlated with suffering.

However, the believers are protected from suffering in a certain sense, every Sunday I see this people pass my house to their various churches to sit down before a preacher who will reassure them that all the Lord made is Good. This preacher instills superficial hope in them that enables them to endure suffering and wait for the Lord. This believers also have daily prayers they recite to also maintain this faith that all will be well. Another set of people that do not fall under this category of believers have other media, of consolation; movies, sex, social media, the list is endless.

However, all these means of consolations are futile and useless. Regardless of how much we try to distract and deceive ourselves, a day will definitely come when all hopes turns to regrets, when our dreams crumble before our feet, when our thoughts turn to tears and our emotions overwhelm us and shatter our hearts. At this point we go back to life and start to examine our existence. Our mind starts digging out all the thoughts we actually tried to suppress. This is the state of melancholy and depression. At this state of depression, life loses its charms; at this stage, all ideas and goals become meaningless and one becomes disgusted with life and begin to admire sleep and death.

The German philosopher Arthur Schopenhauer was actually correct to say that the sufferings always outweighs the pleasure. I believe this is because of how our body and minds reacts to pain. When we are happy, we only think about the moment only. But in a state of melancholy and depression. We become tormented not just by our present condition but by our past miseries and future uncertainties, that is why suffering is always more painful.
People actually wonder why depressed people never speak out and rather choose to suffer silently before taking their life. In a state of depression different thoughts cluster your mind and grip your neck to the point where you no longer feel alive and it actually becomes difficult for you to pinpoint the reason you're depressed.

Most people I see around me are actually crazy, they're crazy for thinking they can cure depression with silly motivational talks, they're too naive to understand suffering. They fail to understand that in a state of depression all life has to offer become nothing to you, your tears become so bitter that you become convinced that you alone hold the monopoly of suffering. I agree with Emil Cioran that the only cure to depression is forgetfulness. To forget yourself and forget the world. This is probably the reason most people try to take their life in a state of depression; to forget everything and free themselves from the pangs of melancholy.
People don't take their life because they're depressed. People take their life when they've reached a point where they cannot endure the suffering anymore. A point where nothingness seems to be the only escape.

THE END

1 Like

Re: On Suffering and Depression(An Essay) by Nobody: 11:46pm On Aug 12, 2019
MathsEconomics:
This essay is actually for the depressed people like me all over the country. You can reach me(text message only please) on my number below this post if you need some of my essays.

There are good reasons to believe that suffering is an integral part of human existence. We can partition all living people on earth into two classes viz; those who experience suffering and those running away from it by all means. But such a classification is unnecessary because to run away from suffering, one must really suffer.

This clearly shows that suffering (not happiness) is the only thing we humans have in common. some people actually never gets a chance to be happy even for a single day till they die. A good example here is children born with medical complications that live only for some days suffering only to die. In fact, it is impossible to breath in any dose if air in this world into your lungs without experiencing some kind of suffering. We can actually say that suffering is life and that life is suffering. Suffering is the what connects humans if not the only thing we all have in common as humans.

What I find strange is why medical practitioners have yet to classify suffering as a disease. Suffering is literally the only true disease in the world and all other diseases are merely offsprings of it.
Although it is true that I'm also a victim of this disease, suffering has eaten me so deep that I sometimes wish I could explode into nothingness. I must confess that I admire suffering. I admire its form and diversity. I admire its courage; this disease doesn't care about your social status. I admire its efforts, suffering never gives up on its victims; it hunts its victims from childhood to adulthood, and finally to their deathbeds. Its patience is sublime; no matter how long you've managed to keep yourself happy, suffering is always patiently waiting for a day to snatch everything from you and shatter your heart to pieces.

What scares me most in this world is that suffering could actually be the one and only true friend we all have in this world because, no matter how many people give up on us, suffering will always remain in our life and will never leave. Even for those who rejects society and all life has to offer, suffering resides in them as a form of loneliness.
Whoever said the devil is cunning and a big deceiver has probably never tried to analyze suffering. Suffering is probably the only disease that can torture one all through life without one actuality noticing it. In fact, this is actually how suffering works; as a silent killer. The only time we actually feel that we are suffering is when we actually sit down silently to examine life.
People can actually live their lives working as labourers without actually feeling the impact of suffering because these category of people actually do not think beyond mere necessities of life. But on the other hand, one can be well of in life and still be aware of emptiness of existence. To be sure, thinking is positively correlated with suffering.

However, the believers are protected from suffering in a certain sense, every Sunday I see this people pass my house to their various churches to sit down before a preacher who will reassure them that all the Lord made is Good. This preacher instills superficial hope in them that enables them to endure suffering and wait for the Lord. This believers also have daily prayers they recite to also maintain this faith that all will be well. Another set of people that do not fall under this category of believers have other media, of consolation; movies, sex, social media, the list is endless.

However, all these means of consolations are futile and useless. Regardless of how much we try to distract and deceive ourselves, a day will definitely come when all hopes turns to regrets, when our dreams crumble before our feet, when our thoughts turn to tears and our emotions overwhelm us and shatter our hearts. At this point we go back to life and start to examine our existence. Our mind starts digging out all the thoughts we actually tried to suppress. This is the state of melancholy and depression. At this state of depression, life loses its charms; at this stage, all ideas and goals become meaningless and one becomes disgusted with life and begin to admire sleep and death.

The German philosopher Arthur Schopenhauer was actually correct to say that the sufferings always outweighs the pleasure. I believe this is because of how our body and minds reacts to pain. When we are happy, we only think about the moment only. But in a state of melancholy and depression. We become tormented not just by our present condition but by our past miseries and future uncertainties, that is why suffering is always more painful.
People actually wonder why depressed people never speak out and rather choose to suffer silently before taking their life. In a state of depression different thoughts cluster your mind and grip your neck to the point where you no longer feel alive and it actually becomes difficult for you to pinpoint the reason you're depressed.

Most people I see around me are actually crazy, they're crazy for thinking they can cure depression with silly motivational talks, they're too naive to understand suffering. They fail to understand that in a state of depression all life has to offer become nothing to you, your tears become so bitter that you become convinced that you alone hold the monopoly of suffering. I agree with Emil Cioran that the only cure to depression is forgetfulness. To forget yourself and forget the world. This is probably the reason most people try to take their life in a state of depression; to forget everything and free themselves from the pangs of melancholy.
People don't take their life because they're depressed. People take their life when they've reached a point where they cannot endure the suffering anymore. A point where nothingness seems to be the only escape.

THE END
i noticed you've put a label in yourself as a "depressed person", and do you know the strongest force in the human personality is the need to be consistent with who we define ourselves to be?so you will always find a way to be depressed.......and from what you've written up there, you're justifying reasons for your depression by quoting those people........lemme ask you a question, have you always been depressed since you were born?........
I dont know who you are, but i just have this attraction for you........lets chat on whatsapp.......
Re: On Suffering and Depression(An Essay) by Tickles001(m): 12:59am On Aug 13, 2019
MathsEconomics:

THE END

Never seen a piece so finely written. You describe these feelings so perfectly

Currently, I can relate to all the things you described. Most times I feel so depressed and think of taking my own life. But I won't surrender. I'll keep fighting it.
Re: On Suffering and Depression(An Essay) by Nobody: 7:07am On Aug 13, 2019
Tickles001:

Never seen a piece so finely written. You describe these feelings so perfectly

Currently, I can relate to all the things you described. Most times I feel so depressed and think of taking my own life. But I won't surrender. I'll keep fighting it.

Be strong. I do not encourage suicide but I understand why people do it. I wrote an essay on suicide but I'm reluctant in posting it for reasons of controversy. In that essay I do not encourage suicide but rather discuss its forms and intensity. And I also give reasons why depressed people should shun suicide.
But I do it from a rational(and realistic) point of view.
Re: On Suffering and Depression(An Essay) by Nobody: 7:15am On Aug 13, 2019
futurist369:
i noticed you've put a label in yourself as a "depressed person", and do you know the strongest force in the human personality is the need to be consistent with who we define ourselves to be?so you will always find a way to be depressed.......and from what you've written up there, you're justifying reasons for your depression by quoting those people........lemme ask you a question, have you always been depressed since you were born?........
I dont know who you are, but i just have this attraction for you........lets chat on whatsapp.......

My number is up there. You can message me if you desire to and I'll definitely respond when I come online.

(1) (Reply)

Doctor's Secret Bride Review / The Spy / In Need Of A Rewriter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.