Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,860 members, 7,952,493 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 04:34 PM

Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English (91621 Views)

Stop Saying “how Was Your Night”, Here’s What To Say Instead / Best Answer For How Was Your Night! / 12 Wrong English Sentences And Phrases You Have Been Making In Ignorance (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by millionboi2: 9:57pm On Aug 15, 2019
mofedamijo:
lol....otondo, one person felt bad and you thought you have made a point, all my white friends from the U.S to the U.K have asked me this question a million times......and i have asked a million times. My girl is white, due to the time difference sometimes, whenever she calls, the first thing she says is "how was your night" baby, she is American though. Nigerians and oversabi ehnnnnnnn.

Nigerians will travel for one week or two, then start comparing the white man poop to their fathers' poop, damn.
Im very angry with dat idiot Edward onoride very foolish.

Bn disgracing Africa up and down

1 Like

Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by adetem(m): 9:57pm On Aug 15, 2019
Ok o, how was ur day? Is it for people that sick too or is not our business ... English people
Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by echibuogwu(m): 9:57pm On Aug 15, 2019
That’s ur business... how are you?
VRDroid:
I do not even answer "How are you?". I think it is an insult to ask someone how they are when you have no reason to.

I see such greetings as insults

1 Like

Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by uuzba(m): 9:58pm On Aug 15, 2019
SeedofDavid:

This is a bigoted assertion. The people you claim to get this from still enquire of themselves, 'How was your night?'.

Don't just accept anything you see on the internet blindly. It was a person (probably more flawed than you are) that put it there.

If both parties are sex-sex people, they can ask each other how was your night, knowing 100% that it is sex they are discussing.

Ask me how was my night, I will slap you.

It is not your business how my night was.
I'm in your front looking at you. Stop asking me what I did in my house. It is not your business.

1 Like

Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by kilojoDesigns: 9:58pm On Aug 15, 2019
The post is just oozing with inferiority complex cry. He can tell a story without azz licking the white folk. None is wrong all that matters is following the rules in the land you find yourself. Same English language that has borrowed several words and phrases from other languages

2 Likes

Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by InvertedHammer: 9:59pm On Aug 15, 2019
/
You worry too much about nonsense.

Which one is correct English among "How are you?", "Howdy" and "What's up?"

In all, the person you are communicating with understands you. Life is not grammar.

Americans understand "How was your night?".

By the way, why do you care? There are many white people out there that cannot spell their names.

\

1 Like

Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by Charmingrascal(m): 10:00pm On Aug 15, 2019
I don't like people asking me "how was your night?" Even if my night was bad what would you do about it, can you change the night that has already passed? So why asking me how it was.
Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by victorian(f): 10:00pm On Aug 15, 2019
majamajic:
just like women in Nigeria now address someone as Oga

When guys address young ladies as mummy or mama, do u think we enjoy hearing such?

So deal with it

1 Like

Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by Nat404: 10:00pm On Aug 15, 2019
adetem:
Ok o, how was ur day? Is it for people that sick too or is not our business ... English people
No. How was your day is just fine too.
Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by jibrilELsudan: 10:01pm On Aug 15, 2019
True. Instead ask a woman how was your kukunase and ask a man how was your anus.

Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by millionboi2: 10:02pm On Aug 15, 2019
uuzba:

If both parties are sex-sex people, they can ask each other how was your night, knowing 100% that it is sex they are discussing.

Ask me how was my night, I will slap you.

It is not your business how my night was.
I'm in your front looking at you. Stop asking me what I did in my house. It is not your business.
how was ur night.

Let me harvest ur front teeth now

Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by SeedofDavid: 10:02pm On Aug 15, 2019
Rapmoney:
People of your type hardly learn. Why not do thorough research on it and find out the true nature of things for yourself instead of countering what you don't know about? Were you the one who invented English? Can you be more familiar with the language than the native Briton? That you don't know something is true doesn't mean it is false.

This is not the first time I'm having this discussion. It gets worst that most sources use the same 'lie' to propagate this falsehood. I don't really have strength for this argument. You can stop asking people "How was your day/night/weekend etc".
Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by shogsman(m): 10:03pm On Aug 15, 2019
Nat404:
Lies! They can't. They often say, did you sleep well last night?
Because it's you that is helping me talk to them abi,I don't know why too know they always worry people.
Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by uuzba(m): 10:04pm On Aug 15, 2019
adetem:
My day was good.

One is expected to go about doing good things during the day. Doing social activities. That is a normal thing.
So one will answer you in a positive way.
My day was good.
I did good social activities.

Night is when one wishes to be alone, to sleep, to be with his wife...., To pray, to rest.
For those who are enduring suffering/hardship/sickness that they have been keeping secret from public view. They suffer/endure everything in the night.

It is non of your business what a person does in their house in the night.
If he wants to tell you, he can tell you.
But if not, it is none of your business.
Stop asking the question.

1 Like

Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by IKennaGabriel(m): 10:04pm On Aug 15, 2019
If how was ur night is about sex. So what about how was ur day?

1 Like

Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by Nobody: 10:06pm On Aug 15, 2019
I don't care what anyone else says... How was your night remains one of the best things in the world..
Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by Nat404: 10:06pm On Aug 15, 2019
Just like people here often say, "if you know, you know". The English is absolutely wrong. It should be "if you don't know, now you know.
Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by ubee(m): 10:07pm On Aug 15, 2019
millionboi2:
if I'm u and dat idiot Edward fada I will disown u ppl4bn too inferior to d white.
Gush
Look at how pathetic you are. You are displaying the classical blame and finger pointing to white man as the cause of all your problems but are too empty and cocky to look within to see you are the cause. I'm far from feeling inferior to any other race. Did you not see I posted above I've called out my colleagues on that inappropriate greeting style as far back as 10 years.
The greeting is wrong there are no two ways.
But you can keep on wallowing in your tragic ignorance
Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by uuzba(m): 10:08pm On Aug 15, 2019
SeedofDavid:

This is not the first time I'm having this discussion. It gets worst worse that most sources use the same 'lie' to propagate this falsehood. I don't really have strength for this argument. You can stop asking people "How was your day/night/weekend etc".

Dude, learn English
How was your day? Fine (correct)
How was your night? (Wrong)

1 Like

Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by ubee(m): 10:08pm On Aug 15, 2019
Nat404:
Just people here often say, "if you know, you know". The English is absolutely wrong. It should be "if you don't know, now you know.
I think you have a fever grin go to bed grin
Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by musicwriter(m): 10:09pm On Aug 15, 2019
Intellectual slavery is the WORST legacy of colonialism.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by lagdmark(m): 10:10pm On Aug 15, 2019
jom28gy:
it had become part of Nigeria culture
Simple. Why is the OP having heart attack because one British guy rebuked him.
Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by 8stargeneral: 10:12pm On Aug 15, 2019
I will say it again and again... what nonsense, must we follow all they do?
Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by Nasir123(m): 10:12pm On Aug 15, 2019
I just want to add that you and that White man are both confuse.
Just look at the way you bring things up from no where and drop it down like that.
You're both confused!

How was your night is simply 'How was your night.
There's nothing even wrong if we use some Hospital's slangs sometimes.
Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by MrSly(m): 10:13pm On Aug 15, 2019
SeedofDavid:
This is a bigoted assertion. The people you claim to get this from still enquire of themselves, 'How was your night?'.

Don't just accept anything you see on the internet blindly. It was a person (probably more flawed than you are) that put it there.
No true OP is right. How was ur not ght is not a wrong English but misused expression.
Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by YoungAncient1: 10:13pm On Aug 15, 2019
We Nigerians have our own interpretations to English language. That a white guy responded negatively doesn't mean we should drop it.
Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by Sunsets: 10:13pm On Aug 15, 2019
You missed an opportunity to teach them Nigerian English instead your inferiority complex turned you to an emergency English lecturer - a failed one at that.
Please, how was your night? Deal with it.
darling4real1:
I TRULY DON'T ANSWER THIS!!

*Do you know that asking a person “How was your night?” is wrong?*
Well, if you didn’t know it until today, get to know with the help of Edward E Onoriode who shared the update on his Facebook wall.
I felt it very necessary to spread the word and help people know about it too.

Here it is.... as posted by Edward E Onoriode.

I attended a IED (Improvise Explosive Device) fusion cell meeting with some US and British EOD (Explosive Ordnance Disposal) experts yesterday to discuss all the IED incidences that had happened within the week across Somalia.

At the meeting hall, I saluted one of the British officers ‘Good morning sir’ and he responded back ‘good morning to you too’

My oversabi did not allow me to keep quiet so I went further with the Nigeria popular phrase ‘how was your night sir?’

Dude was shock. He looked at me in a weird way as if I’d said something out of the ordinary. Something that’s sacrilegious which is an abomination to his ears. After some sec, he said ‘how my night went is none of your business’!

I was awed in shock. Normally, I was expecting a simple ‘fine’ ‘Good’ ‘Splendid’ ‘ My night was great’ etc. But he didn’t say any of these but he told me ‘how my night went is none of your business’!
I felt embarrassed.

For minutes, I couldn’t mutter a word back to him. I just buried my head in shame.

All through the meeting, I was lost in thought and I couldn’t concentrate on the meeting minutes. I kept asking myself within, ‘was my question wrong?’ ‘have I said something that offended this man?’ ‘could it be that he had a bad night rest and he decided to transfer the aggression at me?’

After the meeting, I did a little Google search and I couldn’t believe the answers I got.

Ladies and gentlemen, did you know the phrase “How was your night ” In English Language means “How was last nights sex?” “How was your night shift duty?” “How was your health during the night hours?”

Whenever you ask this question in the morning to healthy people who are not in sick bed, you’re invariably inquiring about their sexual comfort/activities during the night or how their night shift went and it’s rude to ask such mostly if you’re not closely related to the person.
No wonder the British officer find my question condescending because he felt I was intruding in his private business since I’m not too familiar with him. But I asked that question with a sincere and innocent mind without any harm.
Basically, how was your night is normally asked to people who are receiving treatments in the hospital or people who are on night shift.

Nigeria has really messed me up. Now, I’d be more careful whenever I want to speak with these white folks because I never can tell when I’d say something that’s offensive and invasive again.
By the way, I need to un-learn so many English I’ve been proudly speaking, they’re wrong.
My happiness is that I know the appropriate question whenever I want to enquire how a person’s night went now and it should be;

“Did you have a good night sleep?” or
“Did you sleep well?

The answer to ‘ How was your night?’ Is actually ‘none of your business!’

I have checked our local languages. Even as literal translation goes, no Nigerian language asks ‘How was your night?’ I am checking because of this phrase, for those who know, was not in use in Nigeria as recent as 10 years ago.

As my Doctor friend said to me, it may have come from hospitals.
It’s common knowledge according to the doctor that sick people often have rough nights and most deaths occur at night. So a doctor’s question to the patient during morning ward rounds is usually ‘How was your night?’ If we exported hospital vocabulary to the streets, are we now to assume, we are all at death’s door?

The proper address for mornings is simply ‘good morning’ and if you want to spice it up by being overly friendly, you may add ‘hope you slept well?’ A person’s night is not our business.

If we are Igbo it’s either, ibolachi– have you woken up. Ututuoma- good morning.

If Yoruba, 'ę karo' – good morning. You can go further as Yorubas are won’t do by adding “se daada l'ę ji’ – hope you woke up well?

None of these our local greetings intrusively asks ‘How was your night?’ So, No! It is not African either.
Let us be well aware when we leave our lanes to go measuring that of others.
����������
*So now we know!*
*Don't go asking me or anyone else "How was my night anymore?*

*Copied*
Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by Nat404: 10:14pm On Aug 15, 2019
shogsman:

Because it's you that is helping me talk to them abi,I don't know why too know they always worry people.
Incredible!! You think these people care about what you say? They already knew that your English is awful. cheesy smiley wink
Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by SeedofDavid: 10:14pm On Aug 15, 2019
MrSly:

No true OP is right. How was ur not ght is not a wrong English but misused expression.

OK sir
Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by uuzba(m): 10:14pm On Aug 15, 2019
IKennaGabriel:
If how was ur night is about sex. So what about how was ur day?
"How was your day?" is about WORK, the normal social activity that everyone sees each other doing with open, happy mind.
Every morning you wake up, is to enjoy the day and do some positive work, give some service, contribute to society.

Only a thief/criminal that did not succeed in stealing during the day will be angry when you ask him ," how was your day?". In that case, what are you even doing with such a person?

2 Likes

Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by gwarotango: 10:14pm On Aug 15, 2019
millionboi2:
u see

If u can ask some how was ur day,wat stops u from asking how was ur night .

Africans are too dumb,anything coming from white is correct.

#copy cat
Please you have to admit that the expression is wrong. I'm not an expert in the English language but it's just not proper
Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by SeedofDavid: 10:15pm On Aug 15, 2019
uuzba:

Dude, learn English
How was your day? Fine (correct)
How was your night? (Wrong)

OK sir..... Continue teaching me.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Chrisland School Accused Of Covering Up Rape Of 10-Year Old Female Student / JAMB releases Mmesoma Ejikeme original result / UNICAL Student, Adaeze Nnamani Dies After A Party

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.