Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,412 members, 7,891,802 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 July 2024 at 07:32 PM

“Why I Sponsored Correctional Service Bill” – Senator Andy Uba - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / “Why I Sponsored Correctional Service Bill” – Senator Andy Uba (10838 Views)

Wike: I Sponsored And Removed Secondus As PDP National Chairman / Senator Andy Uba Visits Bola Tinubu / Datti-Babawo: I Sponsored The Bill To Reduce Minimum Wage Because Govt Is Broke (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

“Why I Sponsored Correctional Service Bill” – Senator Andy Uba by CuriousMynd: 3:58am On Aug 16, 2019
Former Chairman of the Senate Committee on Interior, Senator Andy Uba says he sponsored the Nigerian Correctional Service Bill, 2019 because of his desire to see a total transformation in the management and administration of prisons in the country.

President Muhammadu Buhari had on Wednesday, assented to the bill changing the name of the Nigerian Prisons Service (NPS) into The Nigerian Correctional Service, Igbere TV reports.

According to a statement from Ita Enang, Senior Special Assistant to the President on National Assembly Matters (Senate), the “Act repeals the Prisons Acts and changes the name from Nigeria Prisons Service to Nigerian Correctional Service, otherwise known as “the Correctional Service.”

There are, according to the Act, two main faculties of the Correctional Service, namely; Custodial Service and Non-custodial Service.

In an interview with newsmen, the former Anambra South lawmaker noted that by the extant provisions of this new law, both custodial and non-custodial sentencing would be permissible; Prisons will be decongested and it would generally foster a better administration of Criminal Justice in Nigeria. This development also brings Nigerian Prisons Administration System to par with international best practices.

His words: “I am particularly enthused and delighted about President Mohammadu Buhari’s resolve to grant Assent to the Bill because of the quality of time devoted in the harmonization process by Researchers, Committee Staff, and legislators as well.

“As Chairman of the Interior Committee, my team and I visited several prisons in Nigeria and we saw first hand the decay in the system.

“The facilities were congested with most inmates under the awaiting trial list. Basic amenities such as food, electricity, water, beddings, toilet facilities were also in a sorry state due to the poor budgetary allocation that goes to the prisons.

“Touched by these, I decided to sponsor the Correctional Service Bill, 2019 so as to bring the much-needed reforms to the Nigerian Prisons.

“By the extant provisions of this new law, both custodial and non-custodial sentencing would now be permissible, our prisons will be decongested and it would generally foster a better administration of Criminal Justice in Nigeria. This development also brings Nigerian Prisons Administration System to par with international best practices.

“The bill also empowers the State Comptroller of Prisons to reject additional prisoners where the prison in question is already filled to capacity.

“As the new name suggests, more emphasis will now be placed on correcting inmates through various skills acquisition programs such as tailoring, shoemaking, carpentry, computer engineering among others, he said.”

Source; http://igberetvnews.com/902782/why-i-sponsored-correctional-service-bill-senator-andy-uba/

2 Likes

Re: “Why I Sponsored Correctional Service Bill” – Senator Andy Uba by Kingpee2(m): 4:09am On Aug 16, 2019
Prison is prison Abeg,don’t come and copy oyinbo here in naija ,as if you people can meet up with the standards

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: “Why I Sponsored Correctional Service Bill” – Senator Andy Uba by Nobody: 4:24am On Aug 16, 2019
Because Andy you know you belong in JAIL.
Re: “Why I Sponsored Correctional Service Bill” – Senator Andy Uba by Karemarealty288(m): 5:11am On Aug 16, 2019
Does changing name translate to changing structures.... Its still the same old wine in new bottle.

15 Likes

Re: “Why I Sponsored Correctional Service Bill” – Senator Andy Uba by trendymarseey(f): 5:26am On Aug 16, 2019
k
Re: “Why I Sponsored Correctional Service Bill” – Senator Andy Uba by Nwodosis(m): 5:27am On Aug 16, 2019
grin Buhari assented to the bill to justify his corrected (repentant) Boko Boys being enlisted into the Nigerian military!

4 Likes

Re: “Why I Sponsored Correctional Service Bill” – Senator Andy Uba by babzo(m): 5:27am On Aug 16, 2019
Well done. While many of us including me have little hope or respect in our politicians, good steps must be encouraged.
Our prisons are beyond terrible,
- Vast majority of prisoners are either innocent or spend time awaiting trial for periods longer than their original sentence would have been , if found guilty.
- Prison officials steal funds meant to feed the prisoners.
- Most people go into prisoners, become worse and come out ready to do more evil.
- Many big men lock up their employees, enemies or opponents with just a word from their lips.
Yet a lot of our leaders have been in jail and prisons and did nothing to change the system, OBJ, FFK, Buhari etc.

Good step in the right direction Senator Uba.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: “Why I Sponsored Correctional Service Bill” – Senator Andy Uba by Heavenschild: 5:30am On Aug 16, 2019
And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. John 14:13

If you know you know!

1 Like

Re: “Why I Sponsored Correctional Service Bill” – Senator Andy Uba by Onlinealaba(m): 5:30am On Aug 16, 2019
Nigeria prisons are not yet fit to be called correctional centres, Inmates keep increasing against the initial capacity our prisons can hold, research has seen that Nigeria criminals comes out hardened after their jail terms, to the lucky dude that will handle the contract of rebranding , painting and etc you are the real MVP

CHECK MY PROFILE, your electronics at best prices

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: “Why I Sponsored Correctional Service Bill” – Senator Andy Uba by chinavs9ja(m): 5:30am On Aug 16, 2019
Ok
Re: “Why I Sponsored Correctional Service Bill” – Senator Andy Uba by yinkus6750(m): 5:34am On Aug 16, 2019
Hope the correctional is not for future politicians that will be imprisoned based on corrupt practices?
Re: “Why I Sponsored Correctional Service Bill” – Senator Andy Uba by Nobody: 5:36am On Aug 16, 2019
Have heard of it.

Check below
Re: “Why I Sponsored Correctional Service Bill” – Senator Andy Uba by 1759ademola(m): 5:38am On Aug 16, 2019
Powdering your face doesn't change who you are.
If monies allocated there are not monitored for its purpose, you may a level 10 prison officer having a house in Ikoyi.
Re: “Why I Sponsored Correctional Service Bill” – Senator Andy Uba by MachadoPreto: 5:38am On Aug 16, 2019
Empty bill and why it was easy to scale through at it was not cost consuming

Just the name changed.

No iota of correctional measures, practices or routines in the system.
Re: “Why I Sponsored Correctional Service Bill” – Senator Andy Uba by Pavore9: 5:41am On Aug 16, 2019
The physical structures also needs upgrading.
Re: “Why I Sponsored Correctional Service Bill” – Senator Andy Uba by crackhouse(m): 5:54am On Aug 16, 2019
He don't want people to say he went to prison because he will soon get there. Soon
Re: “Why I Sponsored Correctional Service Bill” – Senator Andy Uba by Nobody: 5:55am On Aug 16, 2019
Better. Maybe a change of name will bring a real change to the system. But as always, people who are fond of complaining will never see anything good with changing the name.

1 Like

Re: “Why I Sponsored Correctional Service Bill” – Senator Andy Uba by Nobody: 5:56am On Aug 16, 2019
What a wonderful bill that empowers the controller to reject additional in mates when a facility is filled. This is excellent. And the same Buhari signed it? Nigeria will surely get better. Buhari is shooting wonders these days. Nice one senator.
Re: “Why I Sponsored Correctional Service Bill” – Senator Andy Uba by favour32(m): 6:09am On Aug 16, 2019
Restructure Nigeria to be better.
Confab confirmed it. Change of name does nothing if structural changes are not done.
For example,NEPA getting is getting cancerous despite the gullible change of name and scam privatization.
Re: “Why I Sponsored Correctional Service Bill” – Senator Andy Uba by Udopasa: 6:09am On Aug 16, 2019
That bill was sponsored by Senator Victor Ndoma Egba in 2008 and not Senator Andy Uba.

Stop misleading the public
Re: “Why I Sponsored Correctional Service Bill” – Senator Andy Uba by wifeesnatcher(m): 6:13am On Aug 16, 2019
till date, I can't point out to the relevance of these useless lawmakers most especially the house of Reps to the progress of Nigeria

these bunch of cankerworms aren't not even exercising the essence of their existence (checkmating the discrepancies of the executive) even when Saraki an opposition was there, the executive keep rubbishing his office, violating the rule of court, and all sorts

in this Buhari regime, if there is a serious Parliament the executive would have summoned him on the delay of ministers resumption but rather they'll be begging the question (there must be relationship btw executive and legislature crabs)

we have a long way to go, these useless guys in that green and red chamber has nothing to offer than sponsoring useless bills, Even Abaribe a minority leader during the ministerial screening was a total flop. useless country
Re: “Why I Sponsored Correctional Service Bill” – Senator Andy Uba by 12345baba(m): 6:15am On Aug 16, 2019
Andy is preparing his potential home when my tenure start
Re: “Why I Sponsored Correctional Service Bill” – Senator Andy Uba by opalu: 6:21am On Aug 16, 2019
Great
Re: “Why I Sponsored Correctional Service Bill” – Senator Andy Uba by jlinkd78(m): 6:22am On Aug 16, 2019
Following
Re: “Why I Sponsored Correctional Service Bill” – Senator Andy Uba by landforeast(m): 6:26am On Aug 16, 2019
Thank God for your life
That is the only thing you achieved in your 8 years of representing Anambra South in the Senate
Constituency project Zero

Now that you have achieved this
Can you walk down to Mama Ada's Shop and collect one bottle of Kunu
Mumu Politicians
Re: “Why I Sponsored Correctional Service Bill” – Senator Andy Uba by money121(m): 6:27am On Aug 16, 2019
Ok
Re: “Why I Sponsored Correctional Service Bill” – Senator Andy Uba by SilasNwude: 6:32am On Aug 16, 2019
[s]
MachadoPreto:
Empty bill and why it was easy to scale through at it was not cost consuming

Just the name changed.

No iota of correctional measures, practices or routines in the system.
[/s]
Re: “Why I Sponsored Correctional Service Bill” – Senator Andy Uba by anambraamaka: 6:36am On Aug 16, 2019
Good

(1) (2) (Reply)

FEC Okays N310b For Roads Projects / Oracle Of Poverty - Oshiomhole Takes A Swipe At Alimekhena / Buhari Meets With Samantha Power, US Ambassador

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.