Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,349 members, 7,891,554 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 July 2024 at 02:54 PM

The Age Gap And Meeting The Mother For The First Time - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Age Gap And Meeting The Mother For The First Time (1563 Views)

Queen Elizabeth Meeting The Oba Of Benin In 1956 Pics / Igbos In Spain Attend Their Village Meeting In Native Attires (Photo) / Ooni Ogunwusi's Grandmother, Mariani, Dies At The Age Of I04 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Age Gap And Meeting The Mother For The First Time by Morayo2906: 12:20pm On Oct 21, 2010
I previously posted a question about whether a significant age gap can work in relationships where a woman is 10 years older than the man.

Many of you thought that that the relationship was doomed and his family would never accept me especially as my boyfriend is only son.

Well after telling my boyfriend that this relationship is unrealistic, he now wants me to meet his mother because he's convinced she'll love me just as he does and wants to prove to me that we can work things out.

Have you got any tips on what I should do and say when I meet her? For example, I know I have to bow but what do I call her? 'Mrs' or 'mum'.

I'm learning Yoruba. Should I greet her in her language to show I'm trying? Should I bring a gift? If yes, what?

I just don't want to embarass my boyfriend given that he has put so much faith in me despite all hurdles in our way.
Re: The Age Gap And Meeting The Mother For The First Time by afime: 8:03pm On Oct 21, 2010
Interesting! Where are you from? I posted a comment a few days ago about my age gap relationship with my husband. I am from the caribbean and he is a lovely Igbo man. He is considerably younger than me and we have totally different backgrounds (although some things are quite similar). I was nervous about meeting his parents for the first time. The way I handled it was to just be myself. Where I am from, we do not bow. I have never bowed to my mother in law and don't intend to. I don't even bow to my husband. To do so would mean I am being fake. To me it is not necessary to do that to show respect. I love my Igbo family dearly and they love me too. I called her mama from our first meeting and I did buy her a gift, some chocolates and a toiletry set. I am learning Igbo but I didn't greet her with the language. I greeted her in English because that is the language I speak. Since we have been married for a while now, I do say the odd word to her in Igbo and she appreciates it and helps me with my pronouciation. My MIL does not judge me. She's a beautiful woman and the best gift I can give her is by looking after her son and grandchildren to the best of my ability. MIL's will know if you are faking it so just be yourself. Don't over do it - it will be to obvious. Keep the conversation general. Believe it or not -age gap relationships in Nigeria are not that uncommon. If it's to be it will be - no matter what the ages of the couple are.

Personally, I couldn't give a raas what people want to say about me and mine. We have lasted longer than most. However, if you look like an old hag and your boyfriend is fine -you are bound to have problems grin Look after your body oh!
Re: The Age Gap And Meeting The Mother For The First Time by InkedNerd(f): 4:14am On Oct 23, 2010
afime:

Interesting! Where are you from? I posted a comment a few days ago about my age gap relationship with my husband. I am from the caribbean and he is a lovely Igbo man. He is considerably younger than me and we have totally different backgrounds (although some things are quite similar). I was nervous about  meeting his parents for the first time. The way I handled it was to just be myself. Where I am from, we do not bow. I have never bowed to my mother in law and don't intend to. I don't even bow to my husband. To do so would mean I am being fake. To me it is not necessary to do that to show respect. I love my Igbo family dearly and they love me too.   I called her mama from our first meeting and I did buy her a gift, some chocolates and a toiletry set. I am learning Igbo but I didn't greet her with the language. I greeted her in English because that is the language I speak. Since we have been married for a while now, I do say the odd word to her in Igbo and she appreciates it and helps me with my pronouciation. My MIL does not judge me. She's a beautiful woman and the best gift I can give her is by looking after her son and grandchildren to the best of my ability. MIL's will know if you are faking it so just be yourself. Don't over do it - it will be to obvious. Keep the conversation general. Believe it or not -age gap relationships in Nigeria are not that uncommon. If it's to be it will be - no matter what the ages of the couple are.

Personally, I couldn't give a raas what people want to say about me and mine. We have lasted longer than most. However, if you look like an old hag and your boyfriend is fine -you are bound to have problems grin Look after your body oh!

^^^ Well said afime.

@Morayo2006: Just be yourself. With time your love for her son will show and she will see that you genuinely want to be in a committed relationship with her son. I will advise you though to brush up on Yoruba culture. There are some things that may seen "normal" or acceptable within your culture but totally out of line in another culture. Gook luck, hope everything works out.
Re: The Age Gap And Meeting The Mother For The First Time by oludashmi(f): 2:04pm On Oct 25, 2010
Morayo2906:

I previously posted a question about whether a significant age gap can work in relationships where a woman is 10 years older than the man.

Many of you thought that that the relationship was doomed and his family would never accept me especially as my boyfriend is only son.

Well after telling my boyfriend that this relationship is unrealistic, he now wants me to meet his mother because he's convinced she'll love me just as he does and wants to prove to me that we can work things out.

Have you got any tips on what I should do and say when I meet her? For example, I know I have to bow but what do I call her? 'Mrs' or 'mum'.

I'm learning Yoruba. Should I greet her in her language to show I'm trying? Should I bring a gift? If yes, what?

I just don't want to embarass my boyfriend given that he has put so much faith in me despite all hurdles in our way.
Definitely mum and if possible kneel to greet her, she will like you like she has known you before. All the best.

(1) (Reply)

The Need To Preserve Our Dialects- Chinua Achebe / “war Against English Words Entering Yoruba”! / Sh*t Somali People Say/do---funny Video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.