Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,176,457 members, 7,897,943 topics. Date: Monday, 22 July 2024 at 11:32 PM

There’s No Ban On Food Importation, FG Replies Financial Times - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / There’s No Ban On Food Importation, FG Replies Financial Times (12798 Views)

Tinubu Govt Tackling Economic Crisis, FG Replies New York Times / FG Replies Afenifere, Says Farm Estates Not Ruga, Ranches / Lockdown: FG Replies Bishop Oyedepo & Oyakhilome On Opening Of Churches (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: There’s No Ban On Food Importation, FG Replies Financial Times by CoolAmbience(m): 12:14pm On Aug 19, 2019
Simplyleo:

As short as this report is, illiterates will still find it difficult to read as their d!cks are always in the waiting for onward masturbation at every news about Buhari especially the types that seemingly criticise his administration.

In clear terms, there is no ban on food importation, but no cent will be given to the importers of same at a reduced rate. The emboldened is what the president said, or words to that effect.

Watch out for jaundiced analyses from illiterates cheesy

You are an intelligent fellow. You have my respect.

The position of the FG is simple. Go source your forex anywhere else, import what you want, pay duties and compete with available local goods.

We want to grow our local capacity and production of the 41 items and enhance our competitiveness in the global market.

They want us to fold our arms and remain a market for foreign goods.

E nor go work! I support this administration totally.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: There’s No Ban On Food Importation, FG Replies Financial Times by evansjeff(m): 12:17pm On Aug 19, 2019
chinavs9ja:
So who is now the liar, Buhari or FG

I am a professional website designer...check my signature

No one is a liar, you're the one that can't make use of your brain. That's if you have

1 Like

Re: There’s No Ban On Food Importation, FG Replies Financial Times by CoolAmbience(m): 12:20pm On Aug 19, 2019
simonlee:
The issue has been whether the president has the power to issue such directives to the CBN in the first place.
we need strong and independent institutions in Nigeria and not a dictatorship kinda utterance in a democratic setting undecided

Wetin u dey talk sef?

No matter how strong institutions become, people and institutions, must continue to answer to others.

FG's policy is on point in this regard. Stop the bias please!
Re: There’s No Ban On Food Importation, FG Replies Financial Times by chinavs9ja(m): 12:20pm On Aug 19, 2019
evansjeff:

No one is a liar, you're the one that can't make use of your brain. That's if you have
I don't think you are in this World to know what Buhari said concerning the importation of food, he said we have enough food production here in Nigeria. Please always be updated sir!
Re: There’s No Ban On Food Importation, FG Replies Financial Times by crackhouse(m): 12:21pm On Aug 19, 2019
Local man is not bothered.

2 Likes

Re: There’s No Ban On Food Importation, FG Replies Financial Times by AntiWailer: 12:24pm On Aug 19, 2019
simonlee:
The issue has been whether the president has the power to issue such directives to the CBN in the first place.
we need strong and independent institutions in Nigeria and not a dictatorship kinda utterance in a democratic setting undecided

He has.

Check the constitution.

2 Likes

Re: There’s No Ban On Food Importation, FG Replies Financial Times by evansjeff(m): 12:31pm On Aug 19, 2019
chinavs9ja:

I don't think you are in this World to know what Buhari said concerning the importation of food, he said we have enough food production here in Nigeria. Please always be updated sir!

Read what I said again. But this time, read slowly and carefully. And always try to do that whenever you're reading. it will help you. I don't have time for arguments with đúmb people.
Re: There’s No Ban On Food Importation, FG Replies Financial Times by Awesomefred32(m): 12:32pm On Aug 19, 2019
FG and lies are just like 5 and 6
grin grin

1 Like

Re: There’s No Ban On Food Importation, FG Replies Financial Times by budaatum: 12:33pm On Aug 19, 2019
Simplyleo:

In clear terms, there is no ban on food importation, but no cent will be given to the importers of same at a reduced rate. The emboldened is what the president said, or words to that effect.
You forgot to add, "and we shall impose tariffs (customs duty on those imports) to protect local producers"!
Re: There’s No Ban On Food Importation, FG Replies Financial Times by Preshob(m): 12:33pm On Aug 19, 2019
Why does this government keep contradicting itself
Clueless people everywhere!!

1 Like

Re: There’s No Ban On Food Importation, FG Replies Financial Times by anonimi: 12:34pm On Aug 19, 2019
Simplyleo:
As short as this report is, illiterates will still find it difficult to read as their d!cks are always in the waiting for onward masturbation at every news about Buhari especially the types that seemingly criticise his administration.

There is no ban but there is restriction, which is not exactly a ban, no matter how closely they resemble each other. Nor be so?
Playing around with words for his almajiris while using forex to do corruption like Abacha period?
Continue to fool those who want to be fooled.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3040085_abachaaa_jpegb9b6ace1c002846314b86b3375f466a0

2 Likes

Re: There’s No Ban On Food Importation, FG Replies Financial Times by budaatum: 12:35pm On Aug 19, 2019
simonlee:
Does my bubu not sound like dictator Trump with his "tariffs"? I bet you Trump wishes he could dictate to the Federal Reserve.

I wonder what CBN would be like if they were independent.

1 Like

Re: There’s No Ban On Food Importation, FG Replies Financial Times by anonimi: 12:37pm On Aug 19, 2019
simonlee:

1 Like

Re: There’s No Ban On Food Importation, FG Replies Financial Times by Amah70: 12:39pm On Aug 19, 2019
ogododo:
The Presidency has described as untrue the Financial Times report suggesting that Nigeria has placed restrictions on importation of agricultural products into the country.

News Agency of Nigeria reports that the article, with the headline, ‘Muhammadu Buhari sparks dismay over policy on food imports,’ was published on August 15, alleging that the Buhari administration had placed embargo or restrictions on food imports.

However, the Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu, in a letter addressed to the Editor of the Financial Times and made available to newsmen in Abuja on Sunday, dismissed the content of the article, describing it as incorrect.

According to the presidential aide, there is no ban or restriction placed on the importation of agricultural products into the country, as being insinuated in the report.

He maintained that the Buhari administration had consistently worked towards strengthening Nigeria’s own industrial and agricultural base.

The statement reads in part: “Sir – Your article ‘Muhammadu Buhari sparks dismay over policy shift on food imports’ (Aug. 15) suggests the Nigerian Government is restricting the import of agricultural products into the country. This is simply incorrect.

“To be absolutely clear, there is no ban or restriction on the importation of food items whatsoever.

“President Buhari has consistently worked towards strengthening Nigeria’s own industrial and agricultural base. A recent decision sees the Central Bank maintain its reserves to put to use helping growth of domestic industry in 41 product sectors rather than provide FOREX for the import of those products from overseas.

“Should importers of these items wish to source their FOREX from non-government financial institutions (and pay customs duty on those imports – increasing tax-take, something the FT has berated Nigeria for not achieving on many occasions) they are freely able to do so.

“Diversification of FOREX provision towards the private sector and away from top-heavy government control, a diversification of Nigeria’s industrial base, and an increase in tax receipts – are all policies one might expect the Financial Times to support.

“Yet for reasons not quite clear, the author and this newspaper seem to believe the president’s administration seeks to control everything – and yet do so via policies that relinquish government control.

“We look forward to the next installment of M. Munshi’s bizarre and puzzling article series.” he said.

(NAN)
https://punchng.com/theres-no-ban-on-food-importation-fg-replies-financial-times/amp

If the govt bans importation of food that can be produced in Nigeria, that's fine.

But problem is that the too many TAQQIYA from Buhari govt on Islamic expansionism would not allow the public again to trust what the govt intends to do at any time.

Re: There’s No Ban On Food Importation, FG Replies Financial Times by anonimi: 12:39pm On Aug 19, 2019
budaatum:
Does my bubu not sound like dictator Trump with his "tariffs"? I bet you Trump wishes he could dictate to the Federal Reserve.

I wonder what CBN would be like if they were independent.

Thankfully he can't hence Nigerians/Africans are flooding to America to escape the extreme poverty and insecurity of our strongmen countries

www.nairaland.com/attachments/4916464_img1218_jpeg869064c69e3965560ae57d6aeb37a7f2

1 Like

Re: There’s No Ban On Food Importation, FG Replies Financial Times by Ahmeduana(m): 12:47pm On Aug 19, 2019
Yes you didn't ban food importation, but you can selling foreign exchange to them. So what is the difference?
Re: There’s No Ban On Food Importation, FG Replies Financial Times by Osezzua(m): 12:59pm On Aug 19, 2019
Simplyleo:

Did u read the original article by Financial Times before concluding that Garba Shehu's response was ok? U might b just as daft as Garba Shehu if u continue to tow this path. For ur information please read the article from financial times before u reply me?

https://www.ft.com/content/e09f8c92-beac-11e9-b350-db00d509634e
Re: There’s No Ban On Food Importation, FG Replies Financial Times by Nobody: 1:01pm On Aug 19, 2019
chinavs9ja:
So who is now the liar, Buhari or FG

I am a professional website designer...check my signature

Do u code from scratch or u use template?
Re: There’s No Ban On Food Importation, FG Replies Financial Times by Nobody: 1:05pm On Aug 19, 2019
In lay man terms.
No ban on food items,but you should source your own fx to import items like rice,milk etc.You don't expect gvt to subsidize your fx to import what can be locally produced here.Smart guys will now be looking at local rice production n processing.Milk can also be produced from ranching etc

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: There’s No Ban On Food Importation, FG Replies Financial Times by cyprex: 1:08pm On Aug 19, 2019
simonlee:

Guy everywhere in the world especially in the biggest democracies, all institutions; no matter how strong, work in line with policies of the central government and that does not erode their independence in anyway
Re: There’s No Ban On Food Importation, FG Replies Financial Times by budaatum: 1:08pm On Aug 19, 2019
Osezzua:

Did u read the original article by Financial Times before concluding that Garba Shehu's response was ok? U might b just as daft as Garba Shehu if u continue to tow this path. For ur information please read the article from financial times before u reply me?

https://www.ft.com/content/e09f8c92-beac-11e9-b350-db00d509634e

“Don’t give a cent to anybody to import food into the country,” the president said, according to a statement from his spokesman, who added that “the foreign reserve will be conserved and utilised strictly for diversification of the economy, and not for encouraging more dependence on foreign food import bills”.

The central bank has not said whether it will follow the directive and did not respond to a request for comment.

Analysts said that instead of inspiring a renaissance of Nigerian agriculture, the foreign currency import ban would create food shortages, drive further smuggling, and send prices higher.

My bubu is saying, instead of paying farmers in other countries with our money to produce the food you eat, go and produce the food for yourself! And of course prices will rise. But that would be to the benefit of local producers who will earn more for their labour! Or is it that you like poverty so much?

1 Like

Re: There’s No Ban On Food Importation, FG Replies Financial Times by budaatum: 1:09pm On Aug 19, 2019
danjumakolo:
In lay man terms.
No ban on food items,but you should source your own fx to import items like rice,milk etc.You don't expect gvt to subsidize your fx to import what can be locally produced here.Smart guys will now be looking at local rice production n processing.Milk can also be produced from ranching etc
My good person. 3 like for you!

1 Like

Re: There’s No Ban On Food Importation, FG Replies Financial Times by itsme01: 1:10pm On Aug 19, 2019
chinavs9ja:

try and be inteligent for once, buhari was explicit that no forex was to be issued for food importation, and at no time did he order the clossure of border on foods by custom, cant you people be reasonable for once, even moghalu 's only reservation was FG and CBN relationship on such directives since cbn was independent

1 Like

Re: There’s No Ban On Food Importation, FG Replies Financial Times by bayulll011(m): 1:11pm On Aug 19, 2019
ogododo:
The Presidency has described as untrue the Financial Times report suggesting that Nigeria has placed restrictions on importation of agricultural products into the country.

News Agency of Nigeria reports that the article, with the headline, ‘Muhammadu Buhari sparks dismay over policy on food imports,’ was published on August 15, alleging that the Buhari administration had placed embargo or restrictions on food imports.

“We look forward to the next installment of M. Munshi’s bizarre and puzzling article series.” he said.

(NAN)
https://punchng.com/theres-no-ban-on-food-importation-fg-replies-financial-times/amp

Loads of Anarchist in this country,THE PoN said dont give Fx to those that import food into the country he didn't ban food from entering the country.

if you want to import Food,seek your Fx elsewhere,but CBN will not give you Fx,Is that to hRD FOR SOME INTELLIGENT NIGERIAN TO UNDERSTAND.

Smh keep importing food and expect the country to be better,like seriously am ashamed of some people in this country.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: There’s No Ban On Food Importation, FG Replies Financial Times by Isoduwa(m): 1:15pm On Aug 19, 2019
360degreess:
..What have you achieved as an educated person?.. Buhari has been a governor, a minister, a retired army general, a president before, a president now,and many more achievement. No one in your entire generation has come close to these achievement.. Buhari doesn't even know you exist,but you know who he is either you like it or not..

Enter house Buhari boy
Re: There’s No Ban On Food Importation, FG Replies Financial Times by anthony86(m): 1:18pm On Aug 19, 2019
Sometimes Buhari economic direction is contradictory, you ban forex on food but provide forex on petrol and even subsidize it. Foriegn imported food must compete with local food evenly. Why then do you subsidize petrol.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: There’s No Ban On Food Importation, FG Replies Financial Times by budaatum: 1:22pm On Aug 19, 2019
anthony86:
Sometimes Buhari economic direction is contradictory, you ban forex on food but provide forex on petrol and even subsidize it. Foriegn imported food must compete with local food evenly. Why then do you subsidize petrol.
I am hoping the oil subsidy is removed though I know there are forces that would oppose it. Price will shoot through the roof at first then settle as more petrol is imported due to the profit to be made then prices will drop through oversupply. Government just has to police collusion and price fixing.

My bubu! Remove petrol subsidy!
Re: There’s No Ban On Food Importation, FG Replies Financial Times by Tianamen1: 2:14pm On Aug 19, 2019
budaatum:

I am hoping the oil subsidy is removed though I know there are forces that would oppose it. Price will shoot through the roof at first then settle as more petrol is imported due to the profit to be made then prices will drop through oversupply. Government just has to police collusion and price fixing.

My bubu! Remove petrol subsidy!

You don't know jack about what it takes to run an economy and you would destroy any country you are privilege to manage. Energy and food prices are the most responsive to changes in an economy and are the most inflationary. Inflation robs people off of the value of their money so it throws people into poverty. Nigeria is already the poverty capital of the world.

Trade is global and commodities such as agricultural products and fuel are priced evenly globally. Nigeria cannot compete with western nations in agriculture because they practice mechanized farming, they have affordable quality Electricity for storage, and they have quality universities and extension workers that provide support to farmers. In Europe and America, farmers also receive subsidies to produce crops, so there is no way for a Nigerian farmer to compete based on price. this will inevitably result in smuggling and higher priced locally produced food, exacerbating poverty in Nigeria.

if government is serious about increasing the productivity of Nigerians, it should add mobile phones, computers, cars, and other electronics to its list of 41 items. These things are purchased solely by middle income people so the poor will be isolated. Labour is cheap in Nigeria and we have a lot of trainable graduates without work. This should be the focus of any serious government and not agriculture.

1 Like

Re: There’s No Ban On Food Importation, FG Replies Financial Times by Ugosample(m): 2:23pm On Aug 19, 2019
simonlee:

exactjy
Re: There’s No Ban On Food Importation, FG Replies Financial Times by budaatum: 2:30pm On Aug 19, 2019
Tianamen1:

You don't know jack about what it takes to run an economy and you would destroy any country you are privilege to manage. Energy and food prices are the most responsive to changes in an economy and are the most inflationary. Inflation robs people off of the value of their money so it throws people into poverty. Nigeria is already the poverty capital of the world.

Trade is global and commodities such as agricultural products and fuel are priced evenly globally. Nigeria cannot compete with western nations in agriculture because they practice mechanized farming, they have affordable quality Electricity for storage, and they have quality universities and extension workers that provide support to farmers. In Europe and America, farmers also receive subsidies to produce crops, so there is no way for a Nigerian farmer to compete based on price. this will inevitably result in smuggling and higher priced locally produced food, exacerbating poverty in Nigeria.

if government is serious about increasing the productivity of Nigerians, it should add mobile phones, computers, cars, and other electronics to its list of 41 items. These things are purchased solely by middle income people so the poor will be isolated. Labour is cheap in Nigeria and we have a lot of trainable graduates without work. This should be the focus of any serious government and not agriculture.
I think it's you who knows nothing about a countries economy. You want jobs, I presume, but you want to send your countries money abroad to pay for food that the "subsidized" workers of those countries produce. What do you intend to buy that food with, I wonder. With the money that drops from heaven like manna?

Inflation is a sign of a lack of productivity. If you produce more you will temper inflation, though, in all honesty, inflation is necessary in Nigeria where everything is just way too cheap. Just look at us. Buying a brand new car is beyond the means of many because you are paid so little. Don't you think your wages need to inflate? Are you not worth more?

This policy is saying "we will stop sending our money to subsidized farmers in Europe and America and will produce our own instead". You wage will increase if your productivity increases. Go and study why Trump is imposing tariffs on China. I detest the guy, but he's not stupid. Despite the immediate harm the subsidies are inflicting on his people, the eventual long term gain in jobs returning to America is immense.

I've added below some school that you might benefit from!

‘We’re struggling’: US farmers are hurting from Trump’s trade war with China, but they’re not ready to abandon their president just yet

An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations
Re: There’s No Ban On Food Importation, FG Replies Financial Times by West2019(m): 2:33pm On Aug 19, 2019
Rubbish nonsense stupid talk barbaric reply ,if Buhari lyk let him band flyt from.entering Nigeria

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Uzodinma Commiserates With Families Of Those Killed By Unknown Gunmen / Governors Forum Director Makes Damning Revelations On NGF Financial Records / Patience Jonathan Bags Doctorate Degree From Uniport

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.