Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,167 members, 7,977,419 topics. Date: Thursday, 17 October 2024 at 07:52 AM

'we Are All Being Tarred With The Fraud Brush' - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / 'we Are All Being Tarred With The Fraud Brush' (312 Views)

Corpse Of Policemen Killed By Soldiers Dragged On Tarred Road (Disturbing Photos / Kenyan Nanny Caught On CCTV Beating Sick Baby With Carpet Brush / The Fraud At Ikeja Electric, Why You Dont Have A Prepaid Meter (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

'we Are All Being Tarred With The Fraud Brush' by Kayharry(m): 3:58pm On Aug 25, 2019
Olawale Olaleye

Seeing a video of one of the suspects in what has been described as America's biggest fraud case at a baby shower, it was clear to me that no one who works hard would spend in that manner, not even Alhaji Aliko Dangote. It must either be stolen or cheap money.

The unfortunate thing, however, is that we are all being tarred with the same brush of fraud and indecency. It is that bad now.

Two weeks ago, at the US border in Toronto, going to Atlanta to connect to Newark in New Jersey, I was stopped for over one hour and subjected to a thorough search by the immigration officers.

With the look he gave me the moment I appeared before him, I knew I was in for a long one, although nothing to fret about. The questions were nearly endless and the demeanour was subtly unfriendly. Strictly professional!

The moment he demanded to know where and where I had been and where I was heading from there and I told him, his countenance changed the more, gazing at me in a "koikoi way". I guess it was the point he resolved to put me through a rigorous search.

"From Nigeria to London, Paris, Greece, London, Atlanta, Toronto, New Jersey, London and back home", I said, hoping that with that itinerary and the profile of a well travelled journalist as evidenced in my passport, I would be viewed differently. I was wrong.

That only elicited more suspicions especially, when he further demanded to know how much I'd put into ticketing. Not just that, the fact that I didn't stay for more than two days everywhere I went stunned him and decided to seriously check me out, perhaps, thinking 'these yahoo boys have come again'.

Apart from passing me from officer to officer, they recalled my checked-in bags and taken to a TSA corner, because everyone with the Nigerian passport is a fraud, supposedly. No thanks to these folks of ours.

I eventually missed my connecting flight from Atlanta to Newark for being a diligent Nigerian reporter? I waited another two hours to be put on the next flight in Atlanta.

This is so unfair and nothing, no matter how bad the country or leadership is, can justify this nonsense by these lazy fools, who delight in seeing others in pain. It is shameful and utterly disgraceful.

Therefore, do not get it twisted. You too should be worried, because we are all being tarred with the fraud brush and this is not an ethnic engagement. Every ethnic stock in Nigeria has such bad eggs.

This is why in the sight of other nationals around the world, an average Nigerian has that tendency hence we must be united against acts that bring us collective shame and horrible stereotypes.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: 'we Are All Being Tarred With The Fraud Brush' by Reeses: 5:26pm On Aug 25, 2019
Dude with the way you were travelling around you have no one to blame where did you get the money to be flying around like that? Journalist my ass .I bet you are a deep ass criminal you are been watched.

1 Like

Re: 'we Are All Being Tarred With The Fraud Brush' by Kayharry(m): 6:22pm On Aug 25, 2019
Reeses:
Dude with the way you were travelling around you have no one to blame where did you get the money to be flying around like that? Journalist my ass .I bet you are a deep ass criminal you are been watched.
na everybody be criminal?
Re: 'we Are All Being Tarred With The Fraud Brush' by Reeses: 7:59pm On Aug 25, 2019
Kayharry:
na everybody be criminal?

No but Everyone from Nigeria is considered a criminal until otherwise

(1) (Reply)

Man Defiles Girl, 11, At Police Barracks / Unknown Assailants Stab Man To Death In Ekiti / ---

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.