Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,108 members, 7,887,237 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 02:59 AM

Uwagboe Osawe: Why I Am Stepping Down From Uniben Sug Presidential Race. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Uwagboe Osawe: Why I Am Stepping Down From Uniben Sug Presidential Race. (378 Views)

‘We Have Failed You All’ – UNIBEN SUG VP Resigns Amid School Fees Hike Saga / Ozioko Chidimma Domitila: UNN Female SUG Presidential Candidate Cries Out / The Bus Oshiomhole Donated To UNIBEN SUG 3 Years Ago (PHOTOS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Uwagboe Osawe: Why I Am Stepping Down From Uniben Sug Presidential Race. by schoolexponaija: 4:29pm On Aug 26, 2019
By Adekanle Adesina

The last few months have been trailed with consultations, harmonization and proactive moves towards the realization of my ambition of becoming the next president of the University of Benin Student Union Government, (SUG).

I have traversed the length and breadth of the University, and even beyond its enclave, in a move to consult and canvass support from some necessary power blocs, astute personalities and affiliate organizations in this regard.

My team and I were able to garner substantial supports and solidarity from most of the persons and authorities we had interfaced with at different points in the course of our pre-campaign tours and consultations.

There is no gainsaying that my aspiration was a people’s choice – With a heavenly mandate to set back the crippled feet of Unionism on the path of forthrightness, recourse and sustainability in our highly respected ivory tower, UNIBEN.

However, we're all humans and the flexible nature of the human conscience dwells in us as well. We consider and reconsider; we make assessments and sometimes, we reassess based on convictions, perceptions and developments. These trajectories of the human minds also have hold on me as a human.

I was coming into government so as to effect some positive change. I was propelled by the fact that the Union needs a practical rejuvenation to get it back to what it used to be during the days of Obey Razaq. I intend doing this by changing the decaying rules and encroachment by external authorities thereby making the Union independent and formidable to its core responsibilities and duties. But unfortunately I have had a reconsideration that has led to my withdrawal from the race as it stands.

My resolve to this effect becomes necessary owing to some health reasons, and reconsideration after seeing my doctor for medical advice. After routine medical checkup cum cross-examination, my doctor had advised me to stay off such tedious exercise as it could spell danger on my body physiology due to my current state of health. Being a former Student Union leader, he understands the rigors and required efforts that usually come into play when it comes to students politics on campus; hence juxtaposing it with my fragile state of health at the moment, it becomes necessary I quit the race as health always comes first in our situational scale of preference in life.

You would all agree with me that there have been so many infractions in the Union that need urgent attention; there are worries and recurring issues inconveniencing students within the University community that have to be attended to swiftly. You would also agree with me that the UNIBEN SUG needs a new curve of repositioning to what it should be; these and more were some of the spurs that inspired me into the race, not for personal reasons, nor to enrich myself.

As a selfless leader, it behooves on me to know when to step aside and when to hold through the magic blaze of leadership. And of course, my health is of utmost importance to me.

In her article, "Great Leaders Know When to Step Aside," Tara Jaye Frank, Hallmark’s Corporate Culture Advisor and a Speaker and Coach, wrote, "Great leaders are more than their persona. Their brand is a blend of tangible results, process improvement, creative solutions, and talent development. If they’re really good, they’ve been the 'wind beneath the wings' of emerging leaders who will rise up after them, ready and able to conquer the world."

In January, 2019, I launched my foundation; " The Prince Uwagboe Youth and Students Foundation,’’ I personally funded NGO with the primary responsibility to render assistance and scholarships to indigent youths and students across different higher institutions in Nigeria.

The Prince Uwagboe Youth and Students Foundation is fully recognized by the Nigerian government having gotten a premium registration with the Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC), Abuja. Between February and June 2019, the foundation has been able to give out different scholarship grants and financial assistances to indigent youths and students within UNIBEN and other higher institutions across the country. It was in the same spirit of giving back, selflessness and benevolence, that I was inspired to throw my hat in the ring for SUG presidential race.

It’s however painful that our Student Union Government (SUG) has invariably turned to a shadow of its prestigious self as recent administrations have failed in the eminent task of addressing some of the basic challenges bedeviling it. As it stands, the Union can be best referred to as Alumnae Union Government (AUG) or Management Union Government (MUG).

According to Malala Yousafzai, Pakistani teenage activist and youngest Nobel Prize laureate, "When the whole world is silent, even one voice becomes powerful.” Hence, in the light of Malala's assertion the truth against all odds becomes our collective responsibility – To speak out, and defend it regardless of whose ox is gored. Therefore, my expository preamble to this piece as regards the retarded state of our beloved Union becomes necessary.

Be it as it may, it is my fervent prayer that the next Union leader would wield the needed courage and resilience to address some of these anomalies in the system. Whether I am the next Union president or not, it still does not stop me from contributing my quotas in giving our beloved Union a facelift among sisters Unions, in Edo State, and across higher institutions in Nigeria.

“You don’t have to hold a position in order to be a leader.” – Henry Ford, founder of the Ford Motor Company.

In light of the above assertion by Henry Ford, I strongly believe that as a concerned UNIBEN student and a proven philanthropist, I can still play complimentary roles in seeing that our beloved Union regains its lost glory even without being at the helms of affairs as the Union president.

We all have good dreams within and without the walls of UNIBEN. We all have some prospect we strongly believe in. Eleanor Roosevelt, former first lady of the United States, stressed this when she said:
"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.” By and large, the future holds greater things for us all and when we eventually get there, giving back to our alma mater would only be a question of appreciation, love and necessity.

God bless SUG!
God bless UNIBEN!!
God bless Nigeria!

(1) (Reply)

UNIZIK Pre-science / Pre-degree Admission Form For 2019/2020 Session Is Out / The Impact Of Motivation On Job Performance: A Study Of Tesco Plc / 2020 Scholarship Admission Opportunity

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.