Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,188,504 members, 7,934,533 topics. Date: Thursday, 29 August 2024 at 09:18 AM

My Fellow Nairalanders... Is This Not The Way? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / My Fellow Nairalanders... Is This Not The Way? (198 Views)

Nairalanders Is This Igbo Sister Right -Let us Know Your View ( 5 minute video ) / Boko Haram: I Killed Many I Was Shot On Purpose By My Fellow Soldier- Ex Soldier / COVID-19:My Fellow Nairalanders, See What I Received From USA Govt.PHOTOS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Fellow Nairalanders... Is This Not The Way? by blazesam(m): 7:38am On Sep 03, 2019
Dr Terfa Kahaga Anjov is a lecturer in the department of philosophy. The double PhD holder has come out clear �����

#Grading #System

The greatest challenge of man is the interpretation of reality. There are those who hold that the only thing that is permanent in this world is change. There are those who think that nothing changes, what we perceive as change in the world is the result of the fact that our senses deceive us. This has made it difficult for reality to be known.

If the system has to change from free education to full sponsorship by the student who has no parent to carter for him or her in school or for poor parents who are struggling to live at a time there are no jobs and even those who have jobs do not know when salary is to be paid are made to pay higher fees every new academic year in the name of change is the only thing that is permanent will be wrong and unethical to say the least.

The majority of the people who are in leadership positions today went to school free of charge. They had full meals, cigarette allowances, their clothes were washed and ironed out for them, incentives like car, house, jobs and the likes were offered to them on their graduation.

Some of these graduates do not have projects to show as evidence of graduation. You just need to be registered in an institution for three years and you are good to go.

They became professors by the number of years of teaching in the university. PhD was not a requirement for the rank of associate professor. The change is that you must present a PhD in the relevant field to be promoted to the rank of Senior Lecturer. Now the professors who never attended academic conference nationally or internationally is among those throwing out applications for promotion on the basis of lack of current publications.

If the argument is that the standard of education has fallen in recent times, who is responsible for the fall? Aristotle tells us that everything acts according to its nature. A dog cannot give birth to a goat. If a dog gives birth to a goat for Aristotle such act is contra natura. It implies that the givers of education are responsible for the fall and the blame should not be placed on the shoulders of the the students who are struggling to study in the most difficult situations.

It is true that in those days there was nothing like the internet, but the absence of it, school libraries were well equipped for research purposes. Students today pay for ICT but have no access to the school site in most cases, while individual cyber café is operating with high speed.

The 5 grading system has been in use for as long as when university system was introduced in Nigeria. The call for a review of the grading system by NUC does not provide sufficient grounds for the change in classification apart from eliminating the use of "pass", thereby increasing the GPA requirements for graduation.

This new grading system has not been forced on universities in the country. Are the students to worry about the grading system or the lack of infrastructure in the school which is making life difficult for them? Are they to worry about the consequences of none payment of school fees or to accept that education is not for the poor and voluntarily withdraw from their education pursuit?

Problem solving is not a matter of hard handedness.

The way forward is to revert to the 5 grading system period.
Re: My Fellow Nairalanders... Is This Not The Way? by tunjilee003: 7:49am On Sep 03, 2019
Our government Will turn deaf ears to our appeals due to the fact that their children are not schooling in Nigeria... The educational sectot needs some kind of reforms.once there is proper planning of the educational sector,this Will draw the attention of foreign students...
With time nigeria will be great

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Fellow Nairalanders... Is This Not The Way? by Lovelive: 7:55am On Sep 03, 2019
Contra natura = Nigeria' comportment

1 Like

Re: My Fellow Nairalanders... Is This Not The Way? by Charleys: 7:57am On Sep 03, 2019
Lalasticlala

(1) (Reply)

I’m Not Involved In Flogging Incident [beyeeman Tano Kwaw Benbuin III] / $9.6b Judgment: Govt Draws Battle Line Against P&ID / Xenophobia:nipr To Take Campaign To South Africa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.