Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,885 members, 7,889,931 topics. Date: Monday, 15 July 2024 at 03:42 AM

Armed Robbers Raids Unity Bank At Kwali, Fct, Abuja - Breaking News. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Armed Robbers Raids Unity Bank At Kwali, Fct, Abuja - Breaking News. (9900 Views)

President Buhari's N2.1 Billion Asokoro Mansion, Abuja - Breaking Times / A Police Out Station In Kwali-abuja / Bomb Blast At United Nation Abuja -- BREAKING NEWS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Armed Robbers Raids Unity Bank At Kwali, Fct, Abuja - Breaking News. by Enjoyment1(f): 1:40pm On Oct 27, 2010
It is just reported by Capital Fm, Abuja, that armed robbers raided Unity Bank branch at Kwali, FCT this morning.
The station promised to give more insight on the developing event in their subsequent bulletin.

SOURCE: Capital Fm, Abuja.
Re: Armed Robbers Raids Unity Bank At Kwali, Fct, Abuja - Breaking News. by Enjoyment1(f): 1:44pm On Oct 27, 2010
Oh my great nation, what have you done wrong? Oh Abuja, the land for all tribes, woe to you, for the devil (I mean crime), have come to dwell in you.
Oh Jonathan's administration, what is it that you have done to men of the under-world shocked? Only GOD knows what will happen next!

Forgive me, for being so poetric grin
Re: Armed Robbers Raids Unity Bank At Kwali, Fct, Abuja - Breaking News. by Ourturn(m): 2:10pm On Oct 27, 2010
I knew it will come to this, most especially as cars are now being snatched at gun point in Abuja. The last one ocurred at Gwarimpa area to a friend.
Now that full broad daylight robbery is beginning to take place, even under security eyes of the Nigerian Police.
Re: Armed Robbers Raids Unity Bank At Kwali, Fct, Abuja - Breaking News. by santanovva(m): 3:00pm On Oct 27, 2010
is abuja not part of nigeriawelcome to nigeria - the land of insecurity where you have to open an eye even when you sleep standing!
Re: Armed Robbers Raids Unity Bank At Kwali, Fct, Abuja - Breaking News. by Jakumo(m): 3:12pm On Oct 27, 2010
Anyone interested in living out a natural life-span of years would do well to ENTIRELY avoid road travel within Nigeria between the months of October and January, since bandit gangs put in serious overtime during those months, to raise spending money for Christmas and New Year, the season of goodwill.   Greatly escalating the danger during the deadly end-of-year period of 2010 is the coincidence of the Muslim Ramadam festival falling within the same time interval, ensuring that bandits of all religious faiths nurse a sudden and pressing need for free cash.

Nigerian online newspapers carry today the story of 40 thieves who needed no Ali Baba to bring the southwestern town of Ijebu Ode to an absolute standstill yesterday October 25 2010. Converging on that town from multiple directions in vehicular convoys, gunmen laid siege on SIX banks simultaneously, while the nearby expressway was blockaded by highwaymen at several points, sending motorists fleeing into the bush.   When the smoke cleared, one police armored truck had been immobilized by gunfire, three robbers lay dead, and the rest of the gang fled, leaving heavy bags in two minibuses containing enough ammunition for a day-long gunfight, along with a substantial arsenal of heavy machineguns.

Merry  Xmas, Nigeria, and a Happy New Year !
Re: Armed Robbers Raids Unity Bank At Kwali, Fct, Abuja - Breaking News. by slap1(m): 4:20pm On Oct 27, 2010
Enjoyment1:

Oh my great nation, what have you done wrong? Oh Abuja, the land for all tribes, woe to you, for the devil (I mean crime), have come to dwell in you.
Oh Jonathan's administration, what is it that you have done to men of the under-world shocked? Only GOD knows what will happen next!

Forgive me, for being so poetric grin
Are you ok?
Re: Armed Robbers Raids Unity Bank At Kwali, Fct, Abuja - Breaking News. by Enjoyment1(f): 7:12pm On Oct 27, 2010
slap1:

Are you ok?

I should be asking you that!.
Re: Armed Robbers Raids Unity Bank At Kwali, Fct, Abuja - Breaking News. by Enjoyment1(f): 7:18pm On Oct 27, 2010
Jakumo:

Anyone interested in living out a natural life-span of years would do well to ENTIRELY avoid road travel within Nigeria between the months of October and January, since bandit gangs put in serious overtime during those months, to raise spending money for Christmas and New Year, the season of goodwill.   Greatly escalating the danger during the deadly end-of-year period of 2010 is the coincidence of the Muslim Ramadam festival falling within the same time interval, ensuring that bandits of all religious faiths nurse a sudden and pressing need for free cash.

Nigerian online newspapers carry today the story of 40 thieves who needed no Ali Baba to bring the southwestern town of Ijebu Ode to an absolute standstill yesterday October 25 2010. Converging on that town from multiple directions in vehicular convoys, SIX banks were attacked simultaneously, while the nearby expressway was blockaded by highwaymen at several points, sending motorists fleeing into the bush.   When the smoke cleared, one police armored truck had been immobilized by gunfire, three robbers lay dead, and the rest of the gang fled, leaving  bags in two minibuses containing enough ammunition for a day-long gunfight, along with a substantial arsenal  of heavy machineguns.

Merry  Xmas, Nigeria, and a Happy New Year !

May GOD have mercy on us this season! I guess the next 2 months, may be the mother of all 'ember months
Re: Armed Robbers Raids Unity Bank At Kwali, Fct, Abuja - Breaking News. by Jakumo(m): 7:25pm On Oct 27, 2010
This Xmas season of goodwill to all men would be a good one to spend OFF Nigerian roads, for sure.
Re: Armed Robbers Raids Unity Bank At Kwali, Fct, Abuja - Breaking News. by favouredjb(f): 7:29pm On Oct 27, 2010
I was just about to write about the forty theives chased out of ijebu ode,what an affront!two of them were killed,unfortunately,a young lady was hit by a stray bullet during the shootout

Really I don't know and can't figure how they gather themselves in such large numbers, Nigeria,I tire o
Re: Armed Robbers Raids Unity Bank At Kwali, Fct, Abuja - Breaking News. by wesley80(m): 7:50pm On Oct 27, 2010
@jakumo, You seem to have an ox to grind with Nigeria. U mind telling us the reason? I dont think you phobia and dislike for Nigeria is normal and it is gradually eating you up to the point of paranoia and an obsession with the negative stuff about her, Seriously, you need help. i'd suggest you start by stating your grouse with Nigeria, Why have you run so far and have become too terrified even to look back?
I hope you dont resort to one of your silly sarcastic diatribes, its a simple question please answer it.
Re: Armed Robbers Raids Unity Bank At Kwali, Fct, Abuja - Breaking News. by Jakumo(m): 8:06pm On Oct 27, 2010
I hope you are not suggesting that the incident I described was fabricated or exaggerated, Wesley, because it was not.

I bear no grudge against Nigeria as a country, nor against Nigerians as a people, BUT, for anyone like me who has reason to visit the place on occasion, the security situation there is a MAJOR concern.  With that in mind, I see no harm in sharing travel advisories over the internet. Simply PRETENDING that there is no seasonal spike in violent crime in Nigeria will not in any way reduce those perils, and may even lead to complacency, which can be VERY costly.

If my warning here about staying off Nigerian roads between October and January influences one single decision that ultimately saves a life, then surely a constructive purpose was served.
Re: Armed Robbers Raids Unity Bank At Kwali, Fct, Abuja - Breaking News. by Enjoyment1(f): 8:21pm On Oct 27, 2010
Jakumo:

I hope you are not suggesting that the incident I described was fabricated or exaggerated, Wesley, because it was not.

I have no grudge against Nigeria as a country, BUT, for anyone like me who has reason to visit the place on occasion, the security situation there is a MAJOR concern.  With that in mind, I see no harm in sharing travel advisories over the internet.
Simply PRETENDING that there is no seasonal spike in violent crime in Nigeria will not in any way reduce those perils, and may even lead to complacency, which can be VERY costly.

If my warning here about staying off Nigerian roads between October and January influences one single decision that ultimately saves a life, then surely a constructive purpose was served.

But what about those who wants to travel with their cars from Abuja to Lagos, during the Christmas season? How do they avoid situations like this, because my people are driving down to Lagos. It is cheaper, and more convenient doing so.
Re: Armed Robbers Raids Unity Bank At Kwali, Fct, Abuja - Breaking News. by Enjoyment1(f): 8:22pm On Oct 27, 2010
favouredjb:

I was just about to write about the forty theives chased out of ijebu ode,what an affront!two of them were killed,unfortunately,a young lady was hit by a stray bullet during the shootout

Really I don't know and can't figure how they gather themselves in such large numbers, Nigeria,I tire o

I am tired of this Ijebu Ode robbery incidents. They are becoming perennial.
Re: Armed Robbers Raids Unity Bank At Kwali, Fct, Abuja - Breaking News. by Jakumo(m): 8:26pm On Oct 27, 2010
Enjoyment1:

But what about those who wants to travel with their cars from Abuja to Lagos, during the Christmas season? How do they avoid situations like this, because my people are driving down to Lagos. It is cheaper, and more convenient doing so.

Such travellers would have to weigh the benefits of road travel against the high probability of running into ambushes during that particular time of year, OR, they could simply catch a plane and stay 6 miles above it all.
Re: Armed Robbers Raids Unity Bank At Kwali, Fct, Abuja - Breaking News. by wesley80(m): 8:29pm On Oct 27, 2010
^^^ Perharps u have a grudge with Nigeria not as a country but as a people? Are u assuming that those who will be plying Nigerian roads this season would be doing so just to enjoy a 'joy ride'? U think they are oblivious of the dangers on the highway? Are some of those dangers not present in the part of Heaven you dwell? And as someone who visits 'the country' on Occasions' what is the basis of this 'travel advisory' if not to continue your obsession and scare mongering? So I ask again what is your mission or perharps your grouse with Ngr? Stop hiding under some humanitarian motives and spew it out.
Re: Armed Robbers Raids Unity Bank At Kwali, Fct, Abuja - Breaking News. by Jakumo(m): 8:32pm On Oct 27, 2010
Boss that reply I gave you is the best I can do, for it is the truth, with no embellishment.
Re: Armed Robbers Raids Unity Bank At Kwali, Fct, Abuja - Breaking News. by Enjoyment1(f): 8:35pm On Oct 27, 2010
Jakumo:

Boss that reply I gave you is the best I can do, for it is the truth, with no embellishment.

I am not disputing your claims (afterall it is for everyone's good), but what about those who cannot afford air transportation? What do they do, as surely, many will want to travel?
Re: Armed Robbers Raids Unity Bank At Kwali, Fct, Abuja - Breaking News. by Jakumo(m): 8:40pm On Oct 27, 2010
As someone who has stared down the wrong end of a bandit's gun more than once, I would only advise that such intending travellers pause to think long and deep, before they take to the highway between October and January in Nigeria.
Re: Armed Robbers Raids Unity Bank At Kwali, Fct, Abuja - Breaking News. by Enjoyment1(f): 8:46pm On Oct 27, 2010
Jakumo:

As someone who has stared down the wrong end of a bandit's gun more than once, I would only advise that such intending travellers pause to think long and deep, before they take to the highway between October and January in Nigeria.

Please if you have time, can you tell us just one experience? Becos, we went by road, sometime early September! It was just for the fun of it anyway.
In fact, we went with a new Toyota Avensis 2.0, and the journey lasted 10 hours from Lagos to Abuja and back. There were no hitches, except for a group of Poilcemen, that started asking stupid questions about where the owner of the vehicle was, even when we have given them, a complete recent vehicle particulars, and we all identified ourselves, with our I. D. cards.
Re: Armed Robbers Raids Unity Bank At Kwali, Fct, Abuja - Breaking News. by Enjoyment1(f): 8:55pm On Oct 27, 2010
Please note, we did not return same day! grin
Re: Armed Robbers Raids Unity Bank At Kwali, Fct, Abuja - Breaking News. by Jakumo(m): 9:00pm On Oct 27, 2010
During my times in Nigeria, I was, at different times, caught up in a bank robbery during which much ammo was expended, chased at high speed by kamikaze car-jackers in the dead of night, and forced to call in armed backup to dislodge intruders attempting to storm the residence in which I stayed.   Those incidents sharpened my instincts about where and how sudden death can make an appearance in Nigeria, and more importantly, how to reduce the chances of falling victim.  

Alert and Alive !

Good to see that your own road trips there have been fun and safe.  May they always be so.
Re: Armed Robbers Raids Unity Bank At Kwali, Fct, Abuja - Breaking News. by Enjoyment1(f): 9:07pm On Oct 27, 2010
Jakumo:

During my times in Nigeria, I was, at different times, caught up in a bank robbery during which much ammo was expended, chased at high speed by kamikaze car-jackers in the dead of night, and forced to call in armed backup to dislodge intruders attempting to storm the residence in which I stayed.   Those incidents sharpened my instincts about where and how sudden death can make an appearance in Nigeria, and more importantly, how to reduce the chances of falling victim.  

Alert and Alive !

Good to see that your own road trips there have been fun and safe.  May they always be so.

Wow! Now I understand the background of all your comments. Bank robbery, is now normal in the country. In fact, there was a day robbers were robbing a bank in Lagos, and surprisingly, people were going about their normal business (though, the strong hearted). Many of us had dissolved, on hearing it, since it was only one fence that was separating us. Police came 1hr:20 minutes, after they left, and now barricaded the roads leading to the bank. Medicine after death .
Re: Armed Robbers Raids Unity Bank At Kwali, Fct, Abuja - Breaking News. by MaiSuya(m): 9:28pm On Oct 27, 2010
Jakumo:

Alert and Alive !

Damn! Could have sworn you were describing scene in the latest [i]24 [/i]series. Kai! this country. . .Lord help us.
Re: Armed Robbers Raids Unity Bank At Kwali, Fct, Abuja - Breaking News. by wesley80(m): 9:31pm On Oct 27, 2010
@ Enjoyment, pls dont tell me u're older than 12, cant u tell fiction when u hear one? R u so impressed by his English that it has blighted your common sense? The guy is no less troubled than the popular Satellite picture freak! He goes about every thread concocting negative far fetched stories - products of his adventurous and schizophrenic mind- about Nigeria and seems to be on a sworn vendetta (see his posts on the Animal rights thread)against Nigeria for God knows why. O'boy shine your eyes o else u'll be quite a meal for a yahoo boy.
Re: Armed Robbers Raids Unity Bank At Kwali, Fct, Abuja - Breaking News. by Enjoyment1(f): 10:18pm On Oct 27, 2010
wesley80:

@ Enjoyment, pls dont tell me u're older than 12, cant u tell fiction when u hear one? R u so impressed by his English that it has blighted your common sense? The guy is no less troubled than the popular Satellite picture freak! He goes about every thread concocting negative far fetched stories - products of his adventurous and schizophrenic mind- about Nigeria and seems to be on a sworn vendetta (see his posts on the Animal rights thread)against Nigeria for God knows why. O'boy shine your eyes o else u'll be quite a meal for a yahoo boy.

So, what does he intend to gain from it? Thanks all the same. He might only be deceiving himself, and not me. I have almost seen it all, except to have this money, in quantum! grin grin grin
Re: Armed Robbers Raids Unity Bank At Kwali, Fct, Abuja - Breaking News. by Mobinga: 10:31pm On Oct 27, 2010
Whats New? **Spits, Walks Out**
Re: Armed Robbers Raids Unity Bank At Kwali, Fct, Abuja - Breaking News. by Hardtalk: 12:10am On Oct 28, 2010
Four killed in foiled bank robbery
Dimeji Kayode-Adedeji
October 27, 2010 02:10AM
print email

Two suspected robbers were shot dead, and two passersby killed by stray bullets yesterday when armed hoodlums attempted to rob several banks in Ijebu-Ode, Ogun State.

The gang of men had, at about 9am, stormed the banks located in Folagbade area of the town in an 18-seater bus and a Jetta Volkswagen, armed with sophisticated weapons. They were said to have fired sporadic shots into the air, apparently to scare away workers and residents. Passersby ran helter-skelter, while motorists abandoned their vehicles to escape from the troubled spot.

Following information received about their presence, the police raced to the scene with Armoured Personnel Carrier (APC), thereby forcing the bandits to flee. They took time out to shoot at and deflate the tyres on the armoured vehicle as they run away.

Two of the suspects were killed in the shooting, but the rest of the gang escaped.

Police promise

Banks in Ijebu Ode were shut down some months ago in protest of the incessant bank robberies in the town. They were re-opened recently after the state government purchased the Armoured Personnel Carrier (APC).

The State Commissioner of Police, Musa Daura, said that the Command was on top of the situation and that he has been in close contact with the Area Commander of the area.

“I am still awaiting details from the Area Commander, but I have been in regular contact with him,” Mr Daura said. The police boss urged members of the public to go about their normal duties, promising that the police will not relent in providing adequate security to the people in the state, especially during the last months of the year.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5635155-146/four_killed_in_foiled_bank_robbery.csp
Re: Armed Robbers Raids Unity Bank At Kwali, Fct, Abuja - Breaking News. by Hardtalk: 12:15am On Oct 28, 2010
Police men at ,

Re: Armed Robbers Raids Unity Bank At Kwali, Fct, Abuja - Breaking News. by Ourturn(m): 12:40am On Oct 28, 2010
Hardtalk:

Four killed in foiled bank robbery
Dimeji Kayode-Adedeji
October 27, 2010 02:10AM
print email

Two suspected robbers were shot dead, and two passersby killed by stray bullets yesterday when armed hoodlums attempted to rob several banks in Ijebu-Ode, Ogun State.

The gang of men had, at about 9am, stormed the banks located in Folagbade area of the town in an 18-seater bus and a Jetta Volkswagen, armed with sophisticated weapons. They were said to have fired sporadic shots into the air, apparently to scare away workers and residents. Passersby ran helter-skelter, while motorists abandoned their vehicles to escape from the troubled spot.

Following information received about their presence, the police raced to the scene with Armoured Personnel Carrier (APC), thereby forcing the bandits to flee. They took time out to shoot at and deflate the tyres on the armoured vehicle as they run away.

Two of the suspects were killed in the shooting, but the rest of the gang escaped.

Police promise

Banks in Ijebu Ode were shut down some months ago in protest of the incessant bank robberies in the town. They were re-opened recently after the state government purchased the Armoured Personnel Carrier (APC).

The State Commissioner of Police, Musa Daura, said that the Command was on top of the situation and that he has been in close contact with the Area Commander of the area.

“I am still awaiting details from the Area Commander, but I have been in regular contact with him,” Mr Daura said. The police boss urged members of the public to go about their normal duties, promising that the police will not relent in providing adequate security to the people in the state, especially during the last months of the year.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5635155-146/four_killed_in_foiled_bank_robbery.csp

What is the problem with armed-robbers and Ijebu Ode?

(1) (Reply)

policemonitor@npf.gov.ng: E-mail To Fight Crime / Osagie Ize-Iyamu: "Oshiomhole Squandered N1trn On Inflated Projects" / Gtb Cries Out For Help Over Multiple Closure Of Accounts.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.