Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,591 members, 7,944,770 topics. Date: Tuesday, 10 September 2024 at 01:36 AM

"a Disk Read Error Occurred" - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / "a Disk Read Error Occurred" (2281 Views)

Error Apple Application Support Is Required To Run Itunes / How To Fix Windows 7 Not Genuine Error-“copy Of Windows Is Not Genuine" / How To Replace Internal Hard Disk With Extenal Usb Hard Disk In Laptop (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

"a Disk Read Error Occurred" by RuuDie(m): 8:37am On May 17, 2007
what can i do to rectify this --- i turn on my computer & this message flashes on the screen "A disk read error occurred, Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart" & when you press Ctrl+Alt+Del, it just reboots & shows the same message again!
pls can anybody help me figure out what's wrong & how i can remedy it!
Re: "a Disk Read Error Occurred" by Maleeq(m): 4:19pm On May 17, 2007
Believe me, I know how terrible it feels when you lose your data/HDD!

Anyway, did you just change your HDD?(H[/b]ard [b]D[/b]isk [b]D[/b]rive).

If [b]YES
,then the problem it that the BIOS on the computer your are using cannot read large partitions on your hard drive. I guess you get the error message even before the windows startup screen?

To get around this, begin the installation again but this time,  create a primary partition of 8,057MB for Win2000 or 2,048MB for WinNT/XP, and format the rest of the hard drive after you have installed the OS.

If NO, then its probably a physical/mechanical fault to the disk(bad sectors). It's adviceable to get a new HDD and use any of the numerous free Disk utilities you can get on the internet(I recommend Hiren 9.0) to salvage any data left.(These utilities "somehow" read over bad sectors).
Re: "a Disk Read Error Occurred" by RuuDie(m): 10:23am On May 21, 2007
hey maleeq man --- i love ur ID; thanx 4 d advice but i still need 2 know more. how am i gonna use this "Hiren" stuff that u be talking 'bout cuz right now that PC just don't boot; even when i used a Win98 boot diskette, i could only see the system files on the HD, couldn't see my normal files/folders --- does this mean that those ones are lost forever?
if i format the HD could i still lose files 2 the bad sectors?

anybody who can --- pls come 2 my aid!
Re: "a Disk Read Error Occurred" by Maleeq(m): 11:34am On May 21, 2007
Okay, the Hiren comes as a Cd image file(ISO). You'll need to burn it onto a CD using any cd burning softwaresadAlcohol120%, Nero, Daemon Tools, Sonic).
Once you have it burnt onto a cd, it autoruns.
Follow these steps:

1. Shutdown your PC and connect the faulty HDD to it and restart.
2. Boot normally into windows and start the Hiren software from the CD
3. From the options screen that comes up next, click on
[list]
[li]]"GetDataBack NTFS" if your previous filesystem on the HDD was NTFS[/li]
[li]"GetDataBack FAT" if the filesystem was FAT/FAT32[/li]
[/list]
4. The next screen allows you select which HDD to recover from. Pick the faulty one.
5. On the next screen, select "Search Entire Drive". It then swings into action. Allow it run till the end after which you'll be presented with a list of files that were recovered.
Select the ones you need and save them to the other good HDD. Dont try saving onto the faulty one or else,

Formatting a HDD does not wipe your data. All that happens is that is re-writes the MBR and re-initializes the MFT entries(address tables) on the disk. Your data is STILL on the disk only this time they are not indexed as valid.
If you want to recover a file from a faulty drive, make sure that even after formatting, you dont save any data onto the disk. This protects the integrity of the data previously on the drive.

Cheers.
Re: "a Disk Read Error Occurred" by RuuDie(m): 4:16pm On May 21, 2007
thanx man,

i read u loud & clear! but why was it that i couldn't see my "normal" files/folders when i accessed the HD with the boot diskette?
Re: "a Disk Read Error Occurred" by Maleeq(m): 6:22am On May 22, 2007
The boot diskette loads only enough tools for system diagnosis. Depending on how the boot diskette was created, you'll mostly be limited to the windows installation directory. Your files are still on the disk.

Advanced boot disk can be created that give access to the files on the drive even if the windows installation wont start.

(1) (Reply)

Help, My Computer Is Ask Me 4 Username:administrator Nd Password:i Dnt Knw, Hw Cn I Get Access / Neat UK Used HP 8570w Workstation - 12GB RAM, Core i7, Nvidia Graphics / out!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.