Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,153 members, 7,977,320 topics. Date: Thursday, 17 October 2024 at 05:27 AM

In 1887, The Jubilee 50th Year Of... - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / In 1887, The Jubilee 50th Year Of... (171 Views)

Pastor Ifeanyi Adefarasin Dancing And Excited At Her 50th Birthday Party / Bishop Oyedepo At Tope Alabi's 50th Birthday (Video) / Paul Enenche 50th Birthday Celebration: More Photos Of Osinbajo, Oyedepo, Anyim (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

In 1887, The Jubilee 50th Year Of... by VLadipo: 9:17pm On Sep 07, 2019
Let it be known to you, brethren, that through this man is preached to you the forgiveness of sins.
Acts 13:38

In 1887, the jubilee 50th year of Queen Victoria’s ascension to the throne, a general amnesty was proclaimed for all deserters of the British army. The decree began with the word: “To all whom, it may concern let it be known …”

Deserters normally faced the severest punishment. Therefore many of them will have emerged from hiding, trusting the queen’s word, and accepting the pardon granted.

Today’s verse above is taken from Paul’s preaching in Antioch. Many of his Jewish brethren rejected the offer it contained. Religious Jews had the impression that the message of the forgiveness of sins through Jesus Christ had nothing to do with them. By contrast, many godless heathens accepted the gospel of grace.

Doesn’t God’s free pardon apply to everyone? We all need the forgiveness of our guilt! Shouldn’t we then cease trying to hide from God with our sins? Let us avail ourselves of His offer of grace, as David did: “O LORD, do not rebuke me in your wrath, nor chasten me in your hot displeasure. … For my iniquities have gone over my head; like a heavy burden they are too heavy for me. … I will declare my iniquity; I will be in anguish over my sin. … Make haste to help me, o LORD, my salvation!” (Psalm 38).

Let us remember: an amnesty is for a limited time only. “Now is the day of salvation” (2 Corinthians 6, 2). This news is valid for today. We have no control over tomorrow.

You have just read "The Good Seed" daily devotional for September 7, 2019. For more, please visit www.dailydevotionalsonline.com

(1) (Reply)

You Are Specially Loved By God (part 1) / Seeds Of Destiny 17 September 2019 / Feeling Small

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.