Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,177,405 members, 7,901,113 topics. Date: Friday, 26 July 2024 at 12:01 AM

Address Issue Of Fake News And Provocative Information – Osinbajo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Address Issue Of Fake News And Provocative Information – Osinbajo (324 Views)

FG Promises To Address Issue Of Marginalization & Other Demands In The SE / Sylva Apologises To Buhari, Describes Supreme Court Verdict As Provocative / Atiku To Presidency: Address Issue Of Whether Buhari Is Cloned Or Not (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Address Issue Of Fake News And Provocative Information – Osinbajo by WNRblog: 7:31am On Sep 13, 2019
www.nairaland.com/attachments/8462910_osinbajofakenews_jpeg8c614d1522d48f67612aa36e9a4aa9f7

On Thursday in Abuja, Vice President Yemi Osinbajo made the call when he hosted media practitioners to a special appreciation dinner, he urged media practitioners to address the issue of fake news and provocative information, 042hits.com reports.

The vice president said the advent of social media had made the issue of fake news complex, noting that “fake news or provocative information can cause chaos, civil unrest, war or even death.”

“I think all of us in the media, social media, print, TV, all of us, should begin to do something serious about fake news before it begins to consume us, ” he said.

He called on media practitioners to be curious about fact-checking and do simple but thorough investigation over any contentious issue for the public to know the truth.

Osinbajo said that the lies about President Muhammadu Buhari’s certificate went far and deep because no one bothered to unravel the truth early until it got to the court.

“Just take the allegation of Mr President’s certificate for example, someone said Mr President did not have a certificate but Mr President said he sat for and obtained his West African School Certificate in 1961 at the Kastina College.

“The examination body then was Cambridge University, the same Cambridge University we know. I expect any media organisation to do a simple investigation to establish whether it is true or not.

“But nobody did it, and the matter went to court,” he said

He said that there was also a time a WAEC official was asked about the certificate on television and he said he was not the one that signed it.

“And the television said that the WAEC official denied Buhari’s certificate, which is false, completely false.

“It sounds funny because the WAEC official only knows about WAEC certificate, but this is a West African School Certificate by Cambridge University.

“But because nobody bothered to find out, the public believed the lies for so long.

“So with the increase of social media and anonymity every day the problems of the free media are becoming more and more complex and even more dangerous,” he said.

The vice president, who also solicited for greater support from the media, pledged to improve engagement with them.

He said that one of the books he co-authored as a law lecturer was Media Law in Nigeria.

“I am a believer in the freedom of the press, whether it a responsible press or irresponsible. I just believe in the freedom of the press.

“Every morning, I receive a summary from most of the newspapers, I also receive trending news from social media from my media assistant.

“Added to that, I also receive a special pack that contains latest news, cartoons or insult from the social media,” he said

He said that times, some of the cartoons or social media comment were very insulting and provocative but they never bothered him because of his belief in press freedom.

The dinner brought together the leadership of the National Assembly, governors, ministers, heads of government agencies and presidential aides.

https://www.042hits.com/osinbajo-urged-media-practitioners-to-address-issue-of-fake-news-provocative-information

Cc Lalasticlala
Cc MissyB3
Cc Fynestboi
Cc Seun
Cc Mynd44
Re: Address Issue Of Fake News And Provocative Information – Osinbajo by clarocuzioo(m): 7:38am On Sep 13, 2019
Mr. VP , I think your principal, the president created the whole controversy with his series of inconsistencies regarding his WAEC certificate.

Osibanjo have you forgotten soon, that during the build up 2015 general elections, Buhari said his WAEC certificAte is with the military, and when the military opened his file, what they saw as Bulgari's certificate was a recommendation letter from his principal, and there was an interesting phrase in the letter "I hope he will pass his WAEC", this is explanatory, controversial and indicting.

Osibanjo when your principal was asked again he shifted the narrative from the military being with the certificate to obtaining an attestation from His secondary school, and later said his result is with Cambridge.

The whole controversy till date was created by no other person than Buhari himself, now the blame has been shifted to the media for the poor handling of his certificate.

(1) (Reply)

AfD President, Akinwumi Adesina Remembers Mentor On 10th Death Anniversary (Pic) / Yoruba Now Like Slaves- Akintoye / B/haram Kills Abducted Aid Worker In Borno

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.