Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,052 members, 7,977,002 topics. Date: Wednesday, 16 October 2024 at 05:25 PM

Cybercrime Interpretation In Nigeria's Cultural Diverse View - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Cybercrime Interpretation In Nigeria's Cultural Diverse View (240 Views)

Nigeria Loses N3.133trn To Cybercrime Annually — NITDA DG / Nigeria And Ghana Collaborate To Fight Cybercrime / 2 Jailed For Cybercrime And Impersonation, To Forfeit Laptops And Iphone To FG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Cybercrime Interpretation In Nigeria's Cultural Diverse View by somtosky90: 9:38pm On Sep 14, 2019
I had to put up this write up, because I have seen a lot of arrests made against cybercrime suspects by the EFCC and a lot of public sensitization has been made on it. but my view is that crimes like cybercrime involves some kind of little or more intellectual capacity, and Nigeria as a country doesn't have the right tools or facilities to counter cybercrime, other than using crude means of identifying such as appearance and knowing if the account balance of the suspect worth's the means of income, It's a method that is not suppose to be so in saner climes. Since it's this way it should be treated as something that will fizzle out on it's own, because various platforms used in doing such crimes are putting up serious fraud control measures to makes sure that an ordinary layman can't perform that, just like the when sharia started newly in Northern Nigeria, it was fun back then for them but as of now it's not that way but it still exists.
in other words what i am trying to say is that Nigeria should prioritise it's fight against corruption according to what it has the capacity to handle starting from false leadership down to cultural differences in terms of view about shunning corruption among different groups of people in the Nigerian citizenship space making sure every group really understands one form of corruption and not corruption in different views.

For now Nigeria's core focus should be on how to provide Road Infrastructure , Energy power and quality Education by making sure money budgeted for it is not diverted.

Let me make use of Education and Traditional diverse view in Nigeria as an example.

Education: I was privileged to study in one of the unity schools in southern Nigeria (F.G.C.E), that was when i knew that in Nigeria, all humans are not the same even though they are born with the same brain capacity, that was the 1st time i heard of quota system for pass mark according to state origin, that was the first time i came across few students from the core northern Nigeria, their pass mark for promotion to the next class is different from others.
We were able to discover this back then during the presentation of results for promotion into the next class, the results of those that officially made the average pass mark are called out, that is after the 1st top three, the rest that made it below the average are shamed and flogged, then telling them that those making the top position doesn't have two heads. then for the core northers present back then, their results were given to them in an envelop, and the whole class not knowing their position, when the form teacher was confronted by the class, she simply told us that they were promoted and that why she did not call it out is because they are different.
This is a very big foundational corruption because it discourages competition and inequality.

Traditionally: Our culture is just different, some part are more informed about the world of Internet. Before i was at the university level, i knew about cybercrime and not only that, i had easy access to it and ability to learn everything about it easily but i just decided not to go into it. My colleagues into it told me about our Dept mate ahead of us that is really so good and does tutorials for us, in programming, web design, e.t.c is finding it difficult to secure a well paying Job after two years of graduation, they told me that their plan B and C is Cybercrime and Leaving the country, as of now eight of them have all left the country through funding from Cybercrime, immediately after graduation.
When i told my Elders about it, he said that "he knows little about cybercrime but to him anything he can't see physically through forceful possession is not stealing, and why didn't i join them because it's less risky and more rewarding",
To them they can't transact what can't be seen physically by them, he said it's the American world that is in the 21st century, in Nigeria they are yet to see portable drinking water, good roads linking to the next state, constant electricity for production, these are things that they can see, and not the Internet world they know nothing about.
To them is only informed educated people that can do cybercrime, they see it as a clamp down by northern political groups on southern youth groups to greatly impoverish them, because they own group of youths can't do it. They also added that which parents will send their Children to a university and after graduation the child will return to be a small scale farmer, aside from that farms are no more secured, as a graduate it's not proper to do petty trading if one decides to go into business, there should be easy low loan access with little interest, all these are not available. Yet so much awareness is made on cybercrime that they don't fully understand, talk more elders in the northern part of the country.

Now the summary of all these long write up i wrote is that, Government should please provide an enabling environment for graduate youths to get a good means of employment, I passed out as a youth corper this year, i have been in the street making little or no income.
My saved allowee is gradually going down to the last, each night i sleep i wonder what tomorrow will bring, nobody is sponsoring me anymore, i am gradually kind of regretting why i did not join the cyber crew students back then, I don't even what to think again. Government please carry the youths along urgently and be fair to all, because there is so much tribalism going on in this country right now, in this country that i have never experienced. I have applied in many Private and Government agencies yet no positive reply, FAAN as Federal agency recruited over 700 staffs more than half of them are from Kastina, i was there when one of the staffs informed me, that it has already been approved, which form of corruption is greater than that, I was hearing that Nigeria is Hard, now i am seeing it, i am so vulnerable right now.

(1) (Reply)

Land Dispute: Police Declare Chimamanda Adichie’s Kinsmen Wanted / UPDATED: Naira Marley’s Card Fraud Trial Adjourned Till Wednesday / Bad News For Kidnappers In Taraba State As Vigilante Engaged In Fierce Battle.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.