Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,178,474 members, 7,904,772 topics. Date: Monday, 29 July 2024 at 07:02 PM

Bribery Claims And Jonathan’s Burden - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bribery Claims And Jonathan’s Burden (688 Views)

Shia Islamic Movement Deny Army Claims And Zaria Residents' As Calculated Scheme / Boko Haram And Jonathan: The Truth Unfolds - Thisday / Dasuki Weapons Claims And Nairalanders Ignorance (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bribery Claims And Jonathan’s Burden by ferari9o: 10:33pm On Oct 29, 2010
Posted: October 29, 2010 - 04:45
Posted by siteadmin
caption: Goodluck Jonathan
By Kennedy Emetulu

Personally, I am weary of the attempt to turn the allegations in the report by World Tribune into some anti-Gusau propaganda. Granted, I do find the report more than a little skewed in its analysis of expected voting patterns and its not-so-well disguised attempt to be anti-Jonathan and pro-Gusau, yet it must worry any thinking Nigerian that rather than debunking the story and asking for specific evidence to support the claims, the response of the President and his people has been more of diverting attention from the allegations by blaming someone or others they think has or have relationship with the authors simply because that guy or these others are now opponents within the President’s party!

Indeed, reading through the supposed presidential refutation as released by the President’s Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Mr Ima Niboro, one comes to the scandalous conclusion that its strongest point is that “if it is about calumnious material, then there are others who have more to fear, including rattling skeletons in dusty cupboards, than President Jonathan would ever have”. What the bloody hell is that? Doesn’t that look, walk and quack like blackmail? Is it a rebuttal to say there are more bribe givers or more people with things to hide? Is that the same as telling us that no, such a thing never happened and is not happening? Isn’t it implied clearly in that statement that Jonathan has something to hide, but thinks it is great defence to say that some other person or persons behind this report have more to hide? Or does he think his position as the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, the most important individual and institutional totem of the nation, is the same with those he’s pointing at?

And frankly, what is all that crappy talk about Jonathan’s “widely anticipated victory at the PDP primaries”? Anticipated by who and who and on what basis? Don’t they know that such a statement actually supports the report? Are they not invariably telling us that they are working towards an already prepared answer? Was a credible poll conducted nationwide or within the PDP to reveal that expectation? I mean, if on one hand you are claiming that delegates are yet to be identified, how did you arrive at the expectation of victory? Is such a declaration certified by ghosts? Yet, the truth is that the party congresses have even been concluded in most states and in fact, the PDP is now telling INEC it wouldn’t be able to repeat the exercise in some states that they have adjudged as not properly conducted. Indeed, most of the delegates who are delegates by virtue of their positions within the party and government from local government to federal levels are already known, so this whole idea being put out by government that they are yet to be identified is less than quarter truth! Fact is only a number of others would be added to the institutionally ascertained delegates by election or selection later. That of course raises another important question. Why are some or all of these known delegates not coming out to say he or she did not collect Jonathan’s bribe? The only reasonable conclusion one can reach from their resounding silence is that they are scared of being exposed, as they may not know what the authors of the report have on them! No one wants to put his head above the parapet!

The key issue here is that there is a specific allegation against Jonathan, not disguised, point-blank! Is it true that he has been distributing money to delegates as alleged? If not, say so and show evidence to the contrary! If you need the accusers to support this claim with more specific facts or supposed facts, call them out on this and let’s roll! But to base their “rebuttal” on an attack on Gusau or others and woollily accuse people of calumny is akin to someone accused of stealing responding to the effect that the friends of the accusers are enemies!

In the main, I’m just weary of those advising Jonathan and what they come up with most of the time he’s under the cosh! Whether we want to accept it or not, this report, no matter how prejudicial, has deep effect on the image of our nation and the electoral process, considering all the promises made by Jonathan. Of course, some of us have already written off any semblance of a free and fair election taking place, because we have decoded the Jonathan agenda already from his various actions; but at this level, he should be seen to be robustly debunking this type of stuff, if for nothing else, to protect the image of the country. This is a burden he needs to discharge and he needs to do so now.

Kennedy Emetulu,

London

http://www.saharareporters.com/article/bribery-claims-and-jonathan%E2%80%99s-burden
Re: Bribery Claims And Jonathan’s Burden by atampakoeg(f): 11:18pm On Oct 29, 2010
Some peeps are truely jobless. In less than a year since Jonathan became president, everybody including chikens, dogs and lizards are trying their best to discredit or attack him every second. I wish we had these same critics when EVIL IBB, ABACHA and even QUEEN TAURIA YARADUA hijacked Naija, the country might be better. Peeps should get a life and allow the man do his job. By the way I am for RIBADU, but that doesnt mean i should not call out jobless peeps to order
Re: Bribery Claims And Jonathan’s Burden by Osama10(m): 5:02am On Oct 30, 2010
atampakoeg:

Some peeps are truely jobless. In less than a year since Jonathan became president, everybody including chikens, dogs and lizards are trying their best to discredit or attack him every second. I wish we had these same critics when EVIL IBB, ABACHA and even QUEEN TAURIA YARADUA hijacked Naija, the country might be better. Peeps should get a life and allow the man do his job. By the way I am for RIBADU, but that doesnt mean i should not call out jobless peeps to order

I wonder where all these people have been all these while.
Re: Bribery Claims And Jonathan’s Burden by santanovva(m): 8:39am On Oct 30, 2010
Please,leave president GEJ alone!people seem to be expecting too much from him forgeting he is neither a superman nor a saint!
GEJ,in my own opinion,is just same of the same -God save Nigeria!
Re: Bribery Claims And Jonathan’s Burden by MaiSuya(m): 6:40pm On Oct 30, 2010
Indeed, reading through the supposed presidential refutation as released by the President’s Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Mr Ima Niboro, one comes to the scandalous conclusion that its strongest point is that[b] “if it is about calumnious material, then there are others who have more to fear, including rattling skeletons in dusty cupboards, than President Jonathan would ever have[/b]”. What the bloody hell is that? Doesn’t that look, walk and quack like blackmail? Is it a rebuttal to say there are more bribe givers or more people with things to hide? Is that the same as telling us that no, such a thing never happened and is not happening? Isn’t it implied clearly in that statement that Jonathan has something to hide, but thinks it is great defence to say that some other person or persons behind this report have more to hide? Or does he think his position as the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, the most important individual and institutional totem of the nation, is the same with those he’s pointing at?

This was clearly inane, reckless, careless. What on earth was Niboro thinking about when he wrote this? Here, the president of a sovereign nation is effectively being accused of bribery, an accusation that should have elicited  the strongest repudiation possible from Niboro, who should have insisted that the authors produce the evidence of their accusation; failure to do so would compel the government to pursue available legal options. Instead he chose to wax poetic, cooing about 'rattling skeletons'. Abeg make we hia word!

Just as the writer said, the reply by Niboro only serves to implicate GEJ. . .pity

(1) (Reply)

Deadly Politics / Pension For Successful Coup Plotters, Firing Squad For Unsuccessful Ones / No More States Creation Senate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.