Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,192,395 members, 7,947,661 topics. Date: Friday, 13 September 2024 at 06:17 AM

Advise A Medical Aspirant! - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Advise A Medical Aspirant! (33734 Views)

Ejim Chinazom Judith Graduates As A Medical Doctor In A Wheelchair In Enugu / Is There A Course You Will Advise A Jambite Not To Study? / Five Fallacies About Being A Medical Student (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Advise A Medical Aspirant! by dunsin125: 11:54pm On Sep 21, 2019
Slimdan360:

True
If one has like 320 in Jamb, you just need something like 30 in Postutme... That's 70%.
Re: Advise A Medical Aspirant! by tayewomi(m): 3:26pm On Sep 22, 2019
dunsin125:
If one has like 320 in Jamb, you just need something like 30 in Postutme... That's 70%.
but not in
Re: Advise A Medical Aspirant! by dunsin125: 5:52pm On Sep 22, 2019
tayewomi:
but not in
I don't understand.
Re: Advise A Medical Aspirant! by tonistar(m): 5:51pm On Sep 23, 2019
DELSU Admission List for 2019/2020 Session. See How To Check your name on the admission list and other details you need.. https://www.schoolplanetgist.com/delsu-admission-list/
Re: Advise A Medical Aspirant! by nigeriaschoolne(f): 5:47pm On Sep 24, 2019
famouscargo4u:
here is my advice for you.

Since, you have been having an average if 280-314 in UTME it means you not a dull student, you should go back to UTME syllabus and identify areas yo have not mastered in your Use of English, Physics, Chemistry and biology especially. study all topics well and be sure to have about 95% mastery of the topics.

The most competitive universities as regards MBBS in Nigeria are UNILAG, UNILORIN, UI, OAU, LASU, UNN, UNIABUJA and others. if you still want to apply to any of the aforementioned, you must score very high targeting 360-380. I remember vividly that a girl had 394 score in UTME three years ago and could not meet the cut off of OAU MBBS.

YOU can choose less competitive universities to actualise your dream FUOYE, AKUNGBA, Ambrose Alli, Delsu, Unimaid, Unijos, Benue state University and others.

You can change your course to microbiology, biochemistry, medical rehabilitation, Physiotherapy etc.

Education is the premise of progress, in every society, in every family. The Nigeriaschoolnews.ng has deemed it fit to unveil relevant information that can help you achieve your dreams. The university of Abuja is ready for her new intake and if you aspire to be a student there, hurry and get the needed information in https://www.nigeriaschoolnews.ng/uniabuja-admission-list/ What are you waiting for?
Re: Advise A Medical Aspirant! by OwoukoUrua(m): 11:09am On Oct 02, 2019
destinie2019:

THIS IS SOLID ADVICE. LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT A MATE OF MINE IN 100L MEDICINE AND SURGERY, UNIJOS 1992. HE HAD DONE JAMB, THRICE. WAS GIVEN CHEMISTRY, THRICE. FOURTH TIME AROUND HE GOT MEDICINE. THEN WENT ON TO FAIL THE FIRST HURDLE, 100L (PRE MED) . AT THE SECOND ATTEMPT, HE WAS ADVISED TO WITHDRAW. HE APPLIED TO THE CHEMISTRY DEPARTMENT AND WAS ACCEPTED. THIS TIME OLD BOY WAS APPROACHING 30. HE DID THE CHEMISTRY HAPPILY. (TRUE STORY, SIR)

Tales like this make my bones shake . . . May God be with us
Re: Advise A Medical Aspirant! by OwoukoUrua(m): 11:37am On Oct 02, 2019
chukxie:
If we didn't have such a stupid and cumbersome educational system in Nigeria, a brilliant lad like that young man should have been in his third year of college. In the part of the world where I live and work, 12th grade students write only one final exams which determines which tier of universities they would attend (here universities are categorized into 1st, 2nd, and 3rd tiers ). There's nothing like the meaningless university matriculation examination we have in Nigeria. Jamb has ruined a lot of dreams in Nigeria. Honestly, I Jamb should be scrapped.

In my own opinion,JAMB is the best think to have happened to the Nigerian educational system cos as it stands now,WAEC,NECO,NABTEB and the likes have been compromised.
I regret having to say that I sat for my WAEC in a sort of "miracle centre" but when you attend a school where you either pay to be allowed to cheat or you are not allowed to write what you know,you'll understand.
In summary,if not for JAMB,I would probably never have a chance to realise my potentials.

1 Like

Re: Advise A Medical Aspirant! by joemed: 2:03am On Oct 11, 2019
Starkid3010:
340 keee??
Baba target 400 ni
No mark must be missed
Don't limit yourself that's what I have learnt so
You can get 350 360 it's what you can do
Changw your strategies
Get new textbooks like
Lamlad explicit and ababio you cnt read the three meticulously and get less than 90 in chemistry physics also new school the science and lamlad if you're not good in cals also you can get all inclusive or chat me up I have the PDF
For bio get modern and any other good tbs for English get any dele ashadw tb and let your dico be your friend
Read them intensively read them read them over againvuntil you're 100% good to go
Target 100 not 99
God will help you

U know I will advise you opt out for other schools.

Personally I just got admitted into buk to study mbbs with jamb score of 299
Some skulls can be proficient yet lenient
Re: Advise A Medical Aspirant! by tck2000(m): 6:28pm On Oct 12, 2019
educative
Re: Advise A Medical Aspirant! by Evangkatsoulis: 8:21pm On Oct 12, 2019
chukxie:
If we didn't have such a stupid and cumbersome educational system in Nigeria, a brilliant lad like that young man should have been in his third year of college. In the part of the world where I live and work, 12th grade students write only one final exams which determines which tier of universities they would attend (here universities are categorized into 1st, 2nd, and 3rd tiers ). There's nothing like the meaningless university matriculation examination we have in Nigeria. Jamb has ruined a lot of dreams in Nigeria. Honestly, I Jamb should be scrapped.
This is even worse. So if a student does poorly on that one test due to other factors, then the student would be forced to attend a low tier university?
Re: Advise A Medical Aspirant! by chukxie(m): 12:54am On Oct 13, 2019
Evangkatsoulis:

This is even worse. So if a student does poorly on that one test due to other factors, then the student would be forced to attend a low tier university?

Such students can retake the exams. One thing important thing is that even students who attended third tier universities / colleges can still be employed in enviable companies because the system here is one of meritocracy. Besides students who graduated from third tier universities can pursue post graduate degrees in first or second tier universities provided they met the admissions prerequisites. So, attending a third tier university isn't a death sentence. Rather it helps students to challenge and better themselves. Hahaha!
Re: Advise A Medical Aspirant! by Matoade: 3:42am On Oct 13, 2019
joemed:

U know I will advise you opt out for other schools.

Personally I just got admitted into buk to study mbbs with jamb score of 299
Some skulls can be proficient yet lenient
Hey bro...I want to know more about buk
Re: Advise A Medical Aspirant! by Herbephe1(m): 11:08am On Oct 15, 2019
just be strategic, a lot of strategy can b found in the comments in this trend
Re: Advise A Medical Aspirant! by DrbasiT92(m): 8:45am On Dec 03, 2019
drmayor95:

Hey Sir/ma,
Judging from your write-up above, I am sure you will gain admission to study Medicine and Surgery come 2020. From my little experience, you ll need to work a bit harder.

Answer to Question (1)A : You ll need to evaluate your study materials. You can't expect to get 300+ in Jamb if your study textbook is Essential Physics for example. You will need textbooks like Okeke, Nelkon and Parker, One comprehensive Physics which I can't remember, etc.
B: You need to increase your study hours too. Read for longer periods. Be motivated. Just try. You have written Jamb twice so you know what it takes. Just sit down and read more. Keep reading. Honestly, it would pay off.

(2) While preparing for my 2nd JAMB in 2013(I knew I had to do something different from my 1st to get admission to study medicine at U I.
So I registered at the State library. I would leave home with my siblings who were in secondary school at that time and get to the library as early as 8:30am. I had a special corner. I would just sit my a*s down and read. All the books I needed were available at the library. I made a couple of friends whom I shared ideas and knowledge together with. I would say that was one of the best decisions of my life. You could try that too.
(3) The answer to this could be seen in answer(2) above. I made friends at the Library. Often times when I was bored, I would go see my guys and we would talk about a couple of interesting topics. After about some minutes, I ll just get back to my books. However, there a couple of days where after getting to the Library early, I would have to leave after about an hour cos I wouldn't just be in the mood to read. That happened like 1 out of 20days.

(4) I last did Jamb in 2013 so I really don't know if there are better textbooks. Ask your guys who got very high scores. You can check the Jamb curriculum or something too.

P:S Do not let anyone discourage you. You will get in this time. I had a similar experience only that I wrote that twice. I was really determined. Got a low score in my 1st Jamb, chose UNN as 1st and 2nd choice. Didn't get admitted. I was like 'no wahala'
Sat my as* down the 2nd time, read well and had good friends. Chose U.I as 1st choice and Ilorin as 2nd choice. Got admitted to both schools and then accepted U.I's admission.

Finished medical school from U.I this year; July(Still waiting for induction). Everything to the Glory of God.

You should also be aware that Students in the College of medicine in U.I now have to pay quite a lot yearly throughout their study years. We paid #85,000 in 2018, #100,000 in 2019. 2020 could be #150,000 or more. So, make sure you are financially OK before coming to U.I

Cheers

Re: Advise A Medical Aspirant! by Blissbath(f): 6:53am On Jan 21, 2020
Hw do u change it back after admission?
mrvitalis:
Its called getting smart ...
Re: Advise A Medical Aspirant! by Blissbath(f): 6:55am On Jan 21, 2020
Hhey guy,hw did u do it??....wont u be caught?
Worldbest281:
let me give you some useful tips
1. once you chose ui,Oau or unilag in jamb,don't chose any southwest state as your state of origin, choose any northern state, you can choose kwara state and this will help you because they will consider that you are education less develop state (ELDS), so after you have been given admission, forget all these jamb and o'level registration,school will say you should do another fresh registration because they believed most of you are naive and they help you do jamb registration in which you will now use your original state of origin.....note am talking from experience,. this is what I did to get admission into unilag in 2012 and am from osun state which if have chosen osun I wouldn't have gotten the admission...I chose kwara state and later changed it to osun during school registration...sometimes you just need to be smart....this clue help if you choose any southwest university because they give lower cut off mark to ELDS
2. if you know you are very good in math,English and current affairs choose unilag but your chemistry and biology is your pillars then choose ui or Oau and if you a very strong connection choose Unilorin... good luck Bro!

Re: Advise A Medical Aspirant! by mrvitalis(m): 8:06am On Jan 21, 2020
Blissbath:
Hw do u change it back after admission?
During clearance
Re: Advise A Medical Aspirant! by Blissbath(f): 9:51am On Jan 21, 2020
Wow...tnks.Dat is wat i will do in dis yr's jamb
mrvitalis:

During clearance
Re: Advise A Medical Aspirant! by Lordsagna: 9:25pm On Jun 27, 2021
Ademola47:
Hello Nairalenders,

Please, I need your advice experienced medicine graduates, students and consultants.

I am a 19-year-old medicine (MBBS) aspirant. I have written three jamb and MBBS admission has not come my way.

I applied twice in ui and once in Unilag.
For the unilag admission, I was 11 marks below the cut off mark in 2017.

In 2018, I was 2 marks below the cut off mark in ui.
This year, my aggregate is relatively low.

Now, I need advice on:
1. How to score 340+ in the forthcoming (2020) utme.
2. How to re strategize
3. How to eliminate boredom while reading/preparing.

4. Materials/books I can prepare with.

Also, I'll be glad to learn from your experience.

Thanks in anticipation.

PS: My utme score has always been between 280-318

Did you later get medicine?
Re: Advise A Medical Aspirant! by Ademola47(m): 6:57am On Jun 28, 2021
Lordsagna:

Did you later get medicine?

To be honest, I've not gotten it yet. But I'm very much determined to get it in the shortest possible time. Some odds are in my favour.

1 Like

Re: Advise A Medical Aspirant! by Lordsagna: 8:31am On Jun 28, 2021
Ademola47:

To be honest, I've not gotten it yet. But I'm very much determined to get it in the shortest possible time. Some odds are in my favour.
I wish you the best bro.
Re: Advise A Medical Aspirant! by Cardiojosh(m): 6:44pm On Oct 05, 2021
Ruggedfighter
Re: Advise A Medical Aspirant! by Ruggedfighter: 7:15pm On Oct 05, 2021
Cardiojosh:
Ruggedfighter
I must say a nice diary you got there.
A little help here.
How where you able to combine both school wok and jamb prep.
What was your study duration for jamb.
What was the strategy you used in score high in jamb and maintain a good gp
Thanks
Thank you so much for following and dropping a positive review.

Combining school and Jamb was quite difficult I must say though, trying to meet up with your school work and also preparing for jamb was really time and strength demanding so you just have to be ready to take it however it comes, it's part of the price one must pay. Then as a student too, I didn't attend all my classes, I skipped the ones that I could skip and read them on my own to save time. Also there was the strategy I used, I usually read my course work during the day and read for jamb at night, once I'm done for the evening, I'd go home and rest then continue at night, Jamb was also not a new thing to me, so that helped as well, I knew how the questions were set and I didn't bother reading some unnecessary stuffs too. It was very very stressful but God helped me. So, yea.

3 Likes

Re: Advise A Medical Aspirant! by Cardiojosh(m): 6:23am On Oct 06, 2021
[quote author=Ruggedfighter

Thanks Chief.
Can you also List the textbooks you used

1 Like

Re: Advise A Medical Aspirant! by Ruggedfighter: 1:49pm On Oct 06, 2021
Cardiojosh:
[quote author=Ruggedfighter

Thanks Chief.
Can you also List the textbooks you used
You're welcome bro

I usually do combine two or more textbooks.
For physics I used New school physics, all inclusive physics and Essential physics.
Chemistry, I used Ababio and Essential chemistry
Biology I used Modern biology and Essential biology
English, I used just Invisible teacher.

That was all I used.
Re: Advise A Medical Aspirant! by Cardiojosh(m): 5:01pm On Oct 06, 2021
[quote author=Ruggedfighter post=106499694][/quote]
I appreciate the quick response Chief..
Thanks

1 Like

Re: Advise A Medical Aspirant! by Ruggedfighter: 7:01pm On Oct 06, 2021
Cardiojosh:

I appreciate the quick response Chief..
Thanks
You're welcome bro. All the best.
Re: Advise A Medical Aspirant! by Andoskian: 9:03am On Oct 09, 2021
Ruggedfighter:
Ruggedfighter:
Ruggedfighter:

HELLO BOSS
Re: Advise A Medical Aspirant! by Ruggedfighter: 1:43pm On Oct 09, 2021
Andoskian:
[color=#006600][/color]

HELLO BOSS
Greetings bro.
Re: Advise A Medical Aspirant! by Rursh(m): 8:14pm On Oct 09, 2021
tweakdude1:
My advise to you

1. Since Medicine is your calling and Jamb is not giving you what you need bro pick a similar course that is interwoven with Medicine e.g for Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, have something in common so bro, pick either Animal something something, Biotech or anything relating to lab then when your done if you want to do medicine then go for a professional course that will equivalent your grade to medicine.

You're very stewpiid with this advice
Re: Advise A Medical Aspirant! by UltimateStarman: 6:58am On Oct 10, 2021
Ademola47:
Hello Nairalenders,

Please, I need your advice experienced medicine graduates, students and consultants.

I am a 19-year-old medicine (MBBS) aspirant. I have written three jamb and MBBS admission has not come my way.

I applied twice in ui and once in Unilag.
For the unilag admission, I was 11 marks below the cut off mark in 2017.

In 2018, I was 2 marks below the cut off mark in ui.
This year, my aggregate is relatively low.

Now, I need advice on:
1. How to score 340+ in the forthcoming (2020) utme.
2. How to re strategize
3. How to eliminate boredom while reading/preparing.

4. Materials/books I can prepare with.

Also, I'll be glad to learn from your experience.

Thanks in anticipation.

PS: My utme score has always been between 280-318
Study hard
Ask for ideas from your seniors, scholars, search engines
you will get in
HE is with you

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

OAU Suspends Professor Richard Akindele Indefinitely Over Sex For Mark / Cheapest Universities And Polytechnics In Nigeria / Man Sends An Orphan He Met During NYSC In Rivers To University (Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.