Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,378 members, 7,978,210 topics. Date: Thursday, 17 October 2024 at 09:56 PM

Female Pastors: Waht Is The Option During Your Period - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Female Pastors: Waht Is The Option During Your Period (2633 Views)

I Saw Myself Praying In Dreams..waht Does Dat Significant / Are Female Pastors Antichrist ? / What's Wrong With Female Pastors? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Female Pastors: Waht Is The Option During Your Period by Joagbaje(m): 4:08pm On Nov 02, 2010
Paul was not against women speaking in church, but because many of them were asking too many questions about the faith during services, Paul instructed they should not disturb the services but should ask their husbands at home. The second part has to do with women trying to lecture their husbands that they are usurping authority . They should not teach their husband "THE MAN" he didn't say they should not teach "A MAN" but "THE MAN" which makes reference to the husband.

The bible says women will prophesy (speaking or teaching the word of God in public) priscila the wife of acquila was both pastor and teacher.
Re: Female Pastors: Waht Is The Option During Your Period by JeSoul(f): 4:38pm On Nov 02, 2010
KunleOshob:

Well I would assume Paul was talking within the construct of a culture that was intolerant to female leadership which is different from our culture today which is much more tolerant of it. That aside there is no indication Paul was giving a commandment from God rather he was talking from his position as a leader of the churches in question.
Very well said & I agree.
Hope you won't get tired of my furthering just yet though smiley . . . how would you encourage christians to go about seperating what applies to us today and what no longer applies? If that instruction was intended within a cultural context, how do we say what else in NT scripture was not meant to be projected for future generations?

Joagbaje,
Joagbaje:

Paul was not against women speaking in church, but because many of them were asking too many questions about the faith during services, Paul instructed they should not disturb the services but should ask their husbands at home. The second part has to do with women trying to lecture their husbands that they are usurping authority . They should not teach their husband "THE MAN" he didn't say they should not teach "A MAN" but "THE MAN" which makes reference to the husband.

The bible says women will prophesy (speaking or teaching the word of God in public) priscila the wife of acquila was both pastor and teacher.
Thanks for the response too. Can you also take a stab at the question I asked Kunle?
Re: Female Pastors: Waht Is The Option During Your Period by KunleOshob(m): 4:54pm On Nov 02, 2010
@Jesoul
The teachings of christ makes it clear that all christian commandments are based on two principles namely "love for God" and "love for our fellow men". To me any doctrine that doesn't fall under these principles is either false or no longer valid. I recommend to fellow christians to base their doctrines on these commandments which Jesus described as the greatest commandments. All laws and commandments fall under the LOVE principle.
Re: Female Pastors: Waht Is The Option During Your Period by Joagbaje(m): 5:11pm On Nov 02, 2010
JeSoul:

. how would you encourage christians to go about seperating what applies to us today and what no longer applies? If that instruction was intended within a cultural context, how do we say what else in NT scripture was not meant to be projected for future generations?

I don't know if I fully comprehend your question. The revelations of God to us transcend dispesations and ages. There are things under the OT that are valid now in our lives. There are things in the law that are applicable to us in the now. Because they are based on spiritual laws and spiritual principles. So we have to compare scriptures with scriptures and compare with the whole body of truth. That's when we get the spirit of the writings and not the letters.

The law says to honour father and mother.The fact that the law has been abolished does not mean we should no longer honour father and mother. It transcends the law . It is based on spiritual principle.
Re: Female Pastors: Waht Is The Option During Your Period by JeSoul(f): 6:57pm On Nov 02, 2010
KunleOshob:

@Jesoul
The teachings of christ makes it clear that all christian commandments are based on two principles namely "love for God" and "love for our fellow men".
  Agree.

To me any doctrine that doesn't fall under these principles is either false or no longer valid. I recommend to fellow christians to base their doctrines on these commandments which Jesus described as the greatest commandments. All laws and commandments fall under the LOVE principle.
Hmmm . . . this is tricky ground isn't it? Once you introduce subjectivity into the equation then you get different measurements and estimations by varying standards of what qualifies as "love". And this problem is further enhanced by our unfailing ability to convince ourselves we are doing right when we may be wrong. Although I would readily submit much of our "working out of the salvation" are exercises in subjectivity.

On this issue of women pastors, I agree with you. And I also believe under the ideal circumstances (which it hardly ever is) it would be best for a man - mature and qualified, rightly handling the word and flock, to lead - for obvious reasons, I hope. Pastors are supposed to be servants. A woman can be a servant that is pleasing to God without the unnecessary, ego-massaging title of "pastor" too many strive for today.

Joagbaje:

I don't know if I fully comprehend your question. The revelations of God to us transcend dispesations and ages. There are things under the OT that are valid now in our lives. There are things in the law that are applicable to us in the now. Because they are based on spiritual laws and spiritual principles. So we have to compare scriptures with scriptures and compare with the whole body of truth. That's when we get the spirit of the writings and not the letters.
I like this entire quote a lot. I think it cuts to the heart of the matter.

I do want to point out though that you may perhaps be terming & mixing "revelations of God" with "instructions of Paul to a church". Paul does say he's giving his opinion in one instance. What to you are "revelations of God" and what are "instructions to a specific group, in a specific context" and not intended to become law for all future christians? I hope the question is clearer?
Re: Female Pastors: Waht Is The Option During Your Period by MyJoe: 11:27am On Nov 03, 2010
This JeSoul! See doctorate questions.
Re: Female Pastors: Waht Is The Option During Your Period by JeSoul(f): 3:27pm On Nov 03, 2010
MyJoe:

This JeSoul! See doctorate questions.
If you were to post your own, your own go be super-duper, steroid-injected doctorate questions grin na lie?
Re: Female Pastors: Waht Is The Option During Your Period by Zodiac61(m): 9:36pm On Nov 03, 2010
Joagbaje:

The bible says women will prophesy (speaking or teaching the word of God in public)  priscila the wife of acquila was both pastor and teacher.   

How do you know this? Were you there? Is there anything in the bible that confirms this, or are you making this up to try and pretend that the bible is not the work of male misogynists?
Surely, as a christian you would support people asking questions about faith, unless you know that the more people question, the more they will realise that there is nothing there.
If men did not ask questions, it just goes to confirm what quite a lot of women have said about women being the more intelligent of the species. the only way to knowledge is by being curious and asking questions (something that religion is anxious to prevent).
Re: Female Pastors: Waht Is The Option During Your Period by Joagbaje(m): 6:25am On Nov 04, 2010
@zodiac61
Zodiac61:

How do you know this? Were you there? Is there anything in the bible that confirms this, or are making this up to try and pretend that the bible is not the work of male misogynists?
Surely, as a christian you would support people asking questions about faith, unless you know that the more people question, the more they will realise that there is nothing there.
If men did not ask questions, it just goes to confirm what quite a lot of women have said about women being the more intelligent of the species. the only way to knowledge is by being curious and asking questions (something that religion is anxious to prevent).

The law forbade the women and gentiles participating in  worship in the temple like Jewish men. The women , children and the gentiles . Have separate place ,In the courtyard of the temple,  . But Christianity broke down the middle wall of partition.

Galatians 3:28
28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.

Now since the women are new to these public joint fellowship, they, had many questions, they were not compulsorily schooled in scriptures like men. So many times they ask a lot of questions, and some of them . Were getting out of hand because of the liberty in christ.Paul had to caution them.

1 Corinthians 14:34-35 (MSG)
34 Wives must not disrupt worship, talking when they should be listening, 35 asking questions that could more appropriately be asked of their husbands at home. God's Book of the law guides our manners and customs here. Wives have no license to use the time of worship for unwarranted speaking.
Re: Female Pastors: Waht Is The Option During Your Period by KunleOshob(m): 10:27am On Nov 04, 2010
@joagbaje
Your above explanation does noþ suffice as Paul was addressing the people of corinth in that scripture and not jewish people who were familiar with the jewish way of worshipping.
Re: Female Pastors: Waht Is The Option During Your Period by Joagbaje(m): 1:27pm On Nov 04, 2010
KunleOshob:

@joagbaje
Your above explanation does noþ suffice as Paul was addressing the people of corinth in that scripture and not jewish people who were familiar with the jewish way of worshipping.

Many were Jews and some were proselytes before and were accustom to Jewish culture. Why would Paul quote Jewish law for them If they were not accustomed to jewish law?

1 Corinthians 14:34
---- but[ they are commanded] to be under obedience, as also saith the law
Re: Female Pastors: Waht Is The Option During Your Period by Image123(m): 2:56pm On Nov 04, 2010
There's this guy i know who works with and not for a multinational. The wonderment to me is that he works with, instead of for. The result of which is that no one pays him at the end of the month. His drive is that 'no knowledge is lost', and that he may be better opportuned in future.
No one pays him because no one sent him.
Re: Female Pastors: Waht Is The Option During Your Period by fecu: 7:46pm On Nov 06, 2010
you get mouth,some Ppl just cant think straight , it is not with no reason that non of the prophets of god is female, dont you think so

moses sister was a prophetess and her name is mariam, so dont ever say that God dsnt have any female prophet
Re: Female Pastors: Waht Is The Option During Your Period by seyibrown(f): 8:06pm On Nov 06, 2010
Deborah was a prophetess and a Judge!
Re: Female Pastors: Waht Is The Option During Your Period by mabell: 7:36am On Nov 07, 2010
seyibrown:

Deborah was a prophetess and a Judge!
@ seyibrown,
you took the words right out of my mouth.
It is the anointing that makes the differenence
Pricillia and Acquilla were a couple in Paul's team but Pricillia was more annointed than Acquillia
Acts 18:26
26 He began to speak boldly in the synagogue; but when Priscilla and Aquila heard him, they took him and expounded to him the way of God more accurately.

Also, the person's name that appears first is higher than the other in the anointing
18 ¶ After this Paul stayed many days longer, and then took leave of the brethren and sailed for Syria, and with him Priscilla and Aquila. At Cenchreae he cut his hair, for he had a vow.

Another example is Barnabas and Saul who latter became Paul and Barnabas.
Ac 13:7 who was with the proconsul, Sergius Paulus, an intelligent man. This man called for Barnabas and Saul and sought to hear the word of God.

Ac 13:43 Now when the congregation had broken up, many of the Jews and devout proselytes followed Paul and Barnabas, who, speaking to them, persuaded them to continue in the grace of God
Re: Female Pastors: Waht Is The Option During Your Period by Joagbaje(m): 7:42am On Nov 07, 2010
Yo Mabel ,great attempt!.

mabell:

Pricillia and Acquilla were a couple in Paul's team but Pricillia was more annointed than Acquillia
26 He began to speak boldly in the synagogue; but when Priscilla and Aquila heard him, they took him and expounded to him the way of God more accurately.

Also, the person's name that appears first is higher than the other in the anointing

I understand your point but, for the purpose of clarity,I would you rather use the word "leadership" the person whos name comes first has the leadership in most of their writings. But I got your point. It used to Barnabas and Paul , when barnabass had the leadership, but when the anointing began to work more through paul especially after his encounter with that Simon the socerer ,he became more vocal than Barnabas and the writing changed "paul and barnabass". Because leadership now rested on him. I like Barnabas , he didn't contest it,he recognised the anointing.
Re: Female Pastors: Waht Is The Option During Your Period by mabell: 1:32pm On Nov 07, 2010
@joagbaje,
Thanks, i was actually looking for that particular word to use
Re: Female Pastors: Waht Is The Option During Your Period by Image123(m): 4:44pm On Nov 07, 2010
mabell:

It is the anointing that makes the differenence

18 ¶ After this Paul stayed many days longer, and then took leave of the brethren and sailed for Syria, and with him Priscilla and Aquila. At Cenchreae he cut his hair, for he had a vow.

Another example is Barnabas and Saul who latter became Paul and Barnabas.
Ac 13:7 who was with the proconsul, Sergius Paulus, an intelligent man. This man called for Barnabas and Saul and sought to hear the word of God.

Ac 13:43 Now when the congregation had broken up, many of the Jews and devout proselytes followed Paul and Barnabas, who, speaking to them, persuaded them to continue in the grace of God
Utter garbage. I expected that Joagbaje should correct this error instead of applauding it. Where did you get the bolded idea above. Paul said 'I would have you know, that the head of the woman is the man'. Learn to reduce running and jumping the church aisle and shouting 'woo woo' at the pastor, but instead listen and think.

1 Like

Re: Female Pastors: Waht Is The Option During Your Period by Image123(m): 5:01pm On Nov 07, 2010
Look at this before you run
Acts 15v2 And found a certain Jew named Aquila, born in Pontus, lately come from Italy, with his wife Priscilla; (because that Claudius had commanded all Jews to depart from Rome and came unto them.
Acts 18v26 And he began to speak boldly in the synagogue: whom when Aquila and Priscilla had heard, they took him unto them, and expounded unto him the way of God more perfectly.
1Corinthians 16v19 The churches of Asia salute you. Aquila and Priscilla salute you much in the Lord, with the church that is in their house. All KJV
Re: Female Pastors: Waht Is The Option During Your Period by Joagbaje(m): 7:47pm On Nov 07, 2010
Image123:

Utter garbage. I expected that Joagbaje should correct this error instead of applauding it. Where did you get the bolded idea above. Paul said 'I would have you know, that the head of the woman is the man'.

Dude,The headship of the man is only limited to the home. Not ministerial office. If a woman is a minister and the husband is not. He can't be spirituals leader for her. There are female pastors and prophetesses who's husbands are just church members. He is the head at home , she submits to him , but if he is a member of her church, he submits to her as his pastor.

Learn to reduce running and jumping the church aisle and shouting 'woo woo' at the pastor, but instead listen and think.

Who was running and jumping dude ? Were you seeing double?
Re: Female Pastors: Waht Is The Option During Your Period by Image123(m): 8:53pm On Nov 07, 2010
Joagbaje:

Dude,The headship of the man is only limited to the home. Not ministerial office. If a woman is a minister and the husband is not. He can't be spirituals leader for her. There are female pastors and prophetesses who's husbands are just church members. He is the head at home , she submits to him , but if he is a member of her church, he submits to her as his pastor.

Who was running and jumping dude ? Were you seeing double?

Can you refrain from calling me 'dude'? It offends me, coming from you Joagbaje.
Now, where did you get the bolded from? I hope its in the Bible.
About 'running and jumping', i was actually refering to your friend mabel, do you also run and jump and shout 'woo woo' at your pastor? Hope you've taken to correction on mr and mrs Aquila and Priscilla?
Re: Female Pastors: Waht Is The Option During Your Period by Joagbaje(m): 7:28am On Nov 08, 2010
Image123:

Can you refrain from calling me 'dude'? It offends me, coming from you Joagbaje.

It's amazing this is coming from you, you called me false teacher unjustly and you are complying of being called dude, "dude" is not an insult, it's just another slang for " guy" or buddy. If you're offended by it. No qualms , i won't use it . But it's sounds hypocritical .

Matthew 23:24
24 Ye--- strain at a gnat, and swallow a camel
Re: Female Pastors: Waht Is The Option During Your Period by Image123(m): 8:50am On Nov 08, 2010
I know what 'dude' means, thank you. If i offend you, then you tell me instead of spitting out camels and gnats.
Re: Female Pastors: Waht Is The Option During Your Period by Nobody: 6:18am On Jan 24, 2013
I have read all posted contributions but i must confess that all those in support of female pastors are basing their arguments solely on speculations.
I don't believe a woman should climb the altar in her impurity (menstruation) which is why i think in some churches they wait till she is in menopause before giving such offices to females. However, a female pastor is scripturally wrong. U can all argue for it all u want but the fact remains it is scriturally wrong.

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Mystery Of Heaven And Hell / Ezekiel 43-46 And The Prophetic Priesthood Of The Kingdom Age / Audio Bible Free For Download (complete)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 111
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.