Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,622 members, 7,888,987 topics. Date: Saturday, 13 July 2024 at 07:51 PM

There Was A Newspaper Called Punch - Oladele Peter - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / There Was A Newspaper Called Punch - Oladele Peter (426 Views)

“I Cannot Be A Yoruba Boy And Vote For Igbo” - Prophet Oladele Supports Tinubu / Oladele Ademola Samuel Renovates A Well As His Constituency Project In Ekiti / Kamal Ladejobi: 'Fayose Has Not Touched A Newspaper Since He Became Governor' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

There Was A Newspaper Called Punch - Oladele Peter by murecool(m): 12:07pm On Sep 21, 2019
Up until yesterday, I respected Punch newspaper as a reliable source for good news but now, I know better. That Punch newspaper still has readers on and offline because most of them don’t know them. It’s understandable that one man’s food is another man’s poison but I want to believe that Punch newspaper would be poison to everyone soon.

The way the churn out FAKE NEWS baffles me. I believe strongly that they are in a silent competition with SaharaReporters and even DailyPost for who will turn out the most fakes news on a weekly basis. If I see any news or any headline in Punch or via their social media channels because I never click their links anymore, I will have to do my own finding because chances are that it is completely fake.

Don’t get me wrong, I have nothing against Punch newspaper at all, in fact they used to be the leading source for genuine news in the past but not anymore in my books.

Why am I writing this? On Friday, in Ekiti, I was in attendance at the funeral service of Mrs. Moroluke Fakoyede, the mother of the Secretary to the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, (EFCC), Mr. Ola Olukoyede.

The VP who spoke largely in Yoruba barely talked about politics because it was a funeral and not a government engagement but when Punch was going to report the story, I almost fainted. Their headline read, “It is not true that Buhari doesn’t know how to govern – Osinbajo”.

Not only was the headline false, the content of the report was completely different from the headline. If I was not at that funeral, I would have believed this report. I posted the link in a WhatsApp group and called out my journalist friends in the group, that was when other fake news particularly about the VP surfaced.

SaharaReporters led the way and they were closely followed by Punch, both of whom joined others in publishing “Buhari will take 10m Nigerians out of poverty in 10 years – Osinbajo” even though the man said 100million Nigerians.

I really wonder what they stand to gain in disseminating fake news. My own is to warn Nigerians to be wary of these platforms.

For instance, Afenifere, a group of hungry old men who claim that they speak for Yorubas find in Punch a partner in crime. Punch newspaper are always willing to publish such stories. Ironically, both Punch and Afenifere work against the Yoruba interest. (That’s my take).

Well, I wish them and their ardent readers, the very best. I don’t intend to dissuade people from reading Punch, I only want them to have an open mind and also verify the story.
Re: There Was A Newspaper Called Punch - Oladele Peter by NaijaTushboy(m): 12:11pm On Sep 21, 2019
Re: There Was A Newspaper Called Punch - Oladele Peter by BuhariAdvocate: 12:16pm On Sep 21, 2019
Well all of them are the same. Daily trust lost her reputation and sanity very long time ago.
Re: There Was A Newspaper Called Punch - Oladele Peter by Bolustical: 12:17pm On Sep 21, 2019
Nigeria no longer have media houses with influence.

What we have now are rumour mills who rely on unverified news on social media to deceive their ignorant audience with clickbait headlines.

They owe it to Nigeria to explain some facts but no they won't.

They prefer Fulani herdsmen, 2023, Tinubu, Cabals and Osinbajo.

1 Like

Re: There Was A Newspaper Called Punch - Oladele Peter by Bolustical: 12:17pm On Sep 21, 2019
OPL 245, P&ID, Tiv-Jukun crises and other stories need attention and Nigerians must be well educated on this BUT no they won't.

Fake news yi noni!

1 Like

Re: There Was A Newspaper Called Punch - Oladele Peter by DeviIhimseIf: 12:23pm On Sep 21, 2019
[s]
Bolustical:
ttt
[/s]
Re: There Was A Newspaper Called Punch - Oladele Peter by DeviIhimseIf: 12:54pm On Sep 21, 2019
[s]
Bolustical:
OPL 245, P&ID, Tiv-Jukun crises and other stories need attention and Nigerians must be well educated on this BUT no they won't.

Fake news yi noni!
[/s]
Re: There Was A Newspaper Called Punch - Oladele Peter by DeviIhimseIf: 12:54pm On Sep 21, 2019
[s]
Bolustical:
Nigeria no longer have media houses with influence.

What we have now are rumour mills who rely on unverified news on social media to deceive their ignorant audience with clickbait headlines.

They owe it to Nigeria to explain some facts but no they won't.

They prefer Fulani herdsmen, 2023, Tinubu, Cabals and Osinbajo.
[/s]
Re: There Was A Newspaper Called Punch - Oladele Peter by Shawnnn01: 1:29pm On Sep 21, 2019
Vanguard is the worse of them all
murecool:

(1) (Reply)

Buhari Makes New Appointment For FMC Gusau, Issues Working Guidelines / ‘Fatoyinbo Does Not Know Busola From Adams’ - COZA Reacts To Rape Saga / Obaseki, Governor Of Edo State Was Disgraced And Booed At UNGA New York

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.