Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,835 members, 7,872,808 topics. Date: Wednesday, 26 June 2024 at 10:30 PM

Fear Of Boycott Grips South African Brands - Business (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Fear Of Boycott Grips South African Brands (41817 Views)

Dangote, MTN Emerge Most Admired African Brands / Lets Find Alternative To All South African Brands In Nigeria,..... / Brand Africa 100: Dangote, MTN Are The Most Admired African Brands. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fear Of Boycott Grips South African Brands by psucc(m): 8:33pm On Sep 22, 2019
900warriorz:
Not Airtel bro...Forget that MTN is the biggest brand. When it comes to service, Airtel is the best in Nigeria.
May be we take service quality as a topic another day but this thread is not dealing with that
Re: Fear Of Boycott Grips South African Brands by Rubbiish(m): 8:44pm On Sep 22, 2019
psucc:
You can only boycott what you have an alternative to. In Nigeria who is competing with DSTv, even in the telecom, other brands are still miles away from MTN.

To worsen, matters, even the poor no longer patronize the kiosks in their neighbourhood but root for ShopRite. The list is endless.
MTN na network?
That of telecom isn't true
Re: Fear Of Boycott Grips South African Brands by Kapeter(m): 8:51pm On Sep 22, 2019
executive12:

Too many fools on Nairaland. For your information your tribe is well represented in SA and some of them are victims of the attack.
The President of the Nigerian union in SA is Yoruba.
i didn't deny my tribe wasn't victimized in the recent attack, just thanking your kinsmen fro always bringing troubles to nigerians all over the world with their crimes which range from drugs, trafficking, robbery and others.

And we won't because of that boycott anything.
Re: Fear Of Boycott Grips South African Brands by Rosskiki: 9:05pm On Sep 22, 2019
shogz89:
.what are you talking about.., so if mtn leaves Nigeria we won't make calls or we won't have data, if ShopRite leaves Nigeria we will all die of hunger,. Or you think if dstv leave Nigeria another cable TV won't come in to show premier-league or champions league undecided

Don't mind the guy. Nigerian and Chinese conglomerates are even hoping SA companies are booted out so they can replace them.
Re: Fear Of Boycott Grips South African Brands by new2012: 9:09pm On Sep 22, 2019
executive12:

How is it xenophobic to boycott SA businesses in reaction to the attack on Nigerians?

What makes you different or better than them? They destroy, you boycott-huh?

Like previously said, for most of their brands, the local competition is mediocrity or not there yet.

The best response will be to build your own to a point theirs become irrelevant-not some useless boycott that frustrations will return you to. Say you port from MTN to another network and call drop, network challenges frustrates you to a point you port back, wouldn't that make the whole boycott buffoonery?

If you choose not to use your 'sense' and someone use it for you, will you boycott the usage of the 'sense'? No disrespect intended!
Re: Fear Of Boycott Grips South African Brands by new2012: 9:16pm On Sep 22, 2019
davires:
What is special about MTN.I decided 10 years ago to use GLO which is owned by a Nigerian instead of MTN.I believe Nigerians using MTN are just unpatriotic.

Stuffs like this make me sick to my stomach. Bro, we import toothpick, wtf! We don't own anything.

So if you use toothpick, you're unpatriotic, how abt foreign rice, we import potatoes, pineapple, pawpaw, even egusi soup, garri etc.. Bro, chill!

BTW, it's OK to use glo and manage the frustrations associated, we are Nigerians-we are used to it!
Re: Fear Of Boycott Grips South African Brands by Derea(f): 9:26pm On Sep 22, 2019
ibkgab001:
Bitter truth is that ; I would have stopped to use my MTN if not because Osinbajo also have a share in it

Lol.
Re: Fear Of Boycott Grips South African Brands by Blackdeewhy(m): 9:32pm On Sep 22, 2019
am I the only one that does not like MTN r use their network? Team Airtel since the days of Adam and Eve�
Re: Fear Of Boycott Grips South African Brands by Omeizadean(m): 9:35pm On Sep 22, 2019
bentwood85:
Look at the great damage BUHARI has brought to Nigeria........... No light! No good road!
Kidnapping everywhere...

To cap it all, he has started jostling for a third term...

Another mad man just wake up from slumber singing the same songs he last sings minutes before a helluva loads of bullshit lands on him denting his brain cap. Quit Buhari this Buhari that so yea can prosper.
Re: Fear Of Boycott Grips South African Brands by KekeNash(f): 10:01pm On Sep 22, 2019
IronGalaxy:
Another day, another South African story. the obsession is real yo!
I thought they cancelled us ha!

1 Like

Re: Fear Of Boycott Grips South African Brands by IronGalaxy: 10:08pm On Sep 22, 2019
kunmiiii:

It actually seems you're the one obsessed with the opinions of Nigerians here, littering the forum with your cretinous uncultured hissy fits!
You're obsessed about South Africa. It is what it is
Re: Fear Of Boycott Grips South African Brands by MistadeRegal(m): 10:35pm On Sep 22, 2019
angry
Some comments here is based on backward mentality.
So if South African Companies leave Nigeria, the nation will shut down?
Is that the fear?
Re: Fear Of Boycott Grips South African Brands by RTSC2: 10:35pm On Sep 22, 2019
psucc:
So telling lies to ones self is patriotism? If that is, I prefer being "intelligent".

If there is a liar here, it is you.
There is no South African monopoly in Nigeria.

Even DSTV does not enjoy a monopoly.
Re: Fear Of Boycott Grips South African Brands by angelbaby49: 10:59pm On Sep 22, 2019
Angelfrost:

What network sir? And what location??!... No network has the reach and coverage of mtn in Nigeria right now. This is not inferiority complex, but hard facts.

Let others capitalize on this situation, and step up!!! Simple as that!!!
u re wrong inside afikpo community u can only make or receive calls with only glo sim other networks are deadly not available who mtn help
Re: Fear Of Boycott Grips South African Brands by angelbaby49: 11:00pm On Sep 22, 2019
Angelfrost:

What network sir? And what location??!... No network has the reach and coverage of mtn in Nigeria right now. This is not inferiority complex, but hard facts.

Let others capitalize on this situation, and step up!!! Simple as that!!!
u re wrong inside afikpo community u can only make or receive calls with only glo sim other networks are deadly not available who mtn elp?
Re: Fear Of Boycott Grips South African Brands by kbbanj10(m): 11:07pm On Sep 22, 2019
reyscrub:

You are 1000% right my brother
totally agree
Re: Fear Of Boycott Grips South African Brands by Jamestown123: 12:25am On Sep 23, 2019
psucc:
You can only boycott what you have an alternative to. In Nigeria who is competing with DSTv, even in the telecom, other brands are still miles away from MTN.

To worsen, matters, even the poor no longer patronize the kiosks in their neighbourhood but root for ShopRite. The list is endless.
I don't use Mtn and I don't shop at shoprite.
Re: Fear Of Boycott Grips South African Brands by mercyviv(f): 5:38am On Sep 23, 2019
We can only loot SA goods, we can't ask them to close shop...because even if we have the legal right to do so, we still don't have good competitors and brands we can switch to.
Meanwhile...
Are you a teacher?
Get FREE access to the best compilation of school lesson notes/plans, curriculum and exams. Visit my signature for details...
Re: Fear Of Boycott Grips South African Brands by ernieboy(m): 5:46am On Sep 23, 2019
omenka:
Dude, this is untrue. Lying to ourselves doesnt solve anything. A time might come when a network overtakes mtn, but as we speak, mtn tops all networks on terms of assets, innovation and spread.

That is the home truth.
spread I accept, but innovation? what innovation?
Re: Fear Of Boycott Grips South African Brands by Alezy(m): 7:26am On Sep 23, 2019
omenka:
Dude, this is untrue. Lying to ourselves doesnt solve anything. A time might come when a network overtakes mtn, but as we speak, mtn tops all networks on terms of assets, innovation and spread.

That is the home truth.
and who has made it so? Our same indigenous leader's who prefer to own shares in those companies rather than create their own. And by so doing, frustrates the efforts of other companies coming up with same brand.

What happened to HITV?
What happened to TSTV?

Them too many abeg
Re: Fear Of Boycott Grips South African Brands by healthserve(m): 7:45am On Sep 23, 2019
AutoReportNG:

I disagree Sir, I use both NTEL and Spectranet and I am far better off though they had their challenges. The truth remains that DSTV is nothing than a repetitive cable network... You need to see how other cable network works, that's when you will know that they are scamming us in Nigeria, no fresh or new content, its GI-GO

How to u tap into cable networks using Ntel boss?
Re: Fear Of Boycott Grips South African Brands by ImaIma1(f): 8:01am On Sep 23, 2019
psucc:

It's only DSTV that has that strong hold with no good alternatives. We have Airtel, glo, 9mobile. I have never retained an mtn line aince GSM came out. I don't even know when last I went to ShopRite even before this xenophobic attacks. When there is hubmart, SPAR, ebaino, etc.
Re: Fear Of Boycott Grips South African Brands by MrHeff(m): 9:32am On Sep 23, 2019
psucc:

miles away from what? Guy I use a glo 4G sim and I pay just 2500 for 13GB. Very fast network, and on each recharge, they give me bonus triple the airtime I loaded, and still give me free bonus data. Please please and please, no dey downgrade us
Re: Fear Of Boycott Grips South African Brands by renewable1(m): 10:00am On Sep 23, 2019
Hmmmm

Do you need a 1kva complete solar power system to power your TV, decoder, Dan, sound system and bulbs for 6hours daily?

CHECK MY SIGNATURE NOW
Re: Fear Of Boycott Grips South African Brands by KLEINBASS: 10:55am On Sep 23, 2019
ijustdey:

https://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2019/09/22/fear-of-boycott-grips-south-african-brands/

South africa opened up business to Nigeria only dangote used the opportunity, the rest could only come up with informal businesses(salon, street vendors or tarven) also breaking the country's bylaws.majority joined the underworld of drugs, brothels and all. At the moment the locals dnt trust any Nigerians related businesses because we are already under impression that it might be a cover for drugs. Is gonna take years for Nigerians to be trusted along with their businesses, thank to those who have destroyed the image of Nigeria
Re: Fear Of Boycott Grips South African Brands by davires: 12:02pm On Sep 23, 2019
new2012:

Stuffs like this make me sick to my stomach. Bro, we import toothpick, wtf! We don't own anything.

So if you use toothpick, you're unpatriotic, how abt foreign rice, we import potatoes, pineapple, pawpaw, even egusi soup, garri etc.. Bro, chill!

BTW, it's OK to use glo and manage the frustrations associated, we are Nigerians-we are used to it!
cool down.Why will I use MTN when there is Glo.The others you mentioned is a different issue entirely.
Re: Fear Of Boycott Grips South African Brands by psucc(m): 12:13pm On Sep 23, 2019
MrHeff:
miles away from what? Guy I use a glo 4G sim and I pay just 2500 for 13GB. Very fast network, and on each recharge, they give me bonus triple the airtime I loaded, and still give me free bonus data. Please please and please, no dey downgrade us
Sir market leadership is different from offerings. it is indisputable that MTN maintains a good lead in the telecom industry in Nigeria
Re: Fear Of Boycott Grips South African Brands by MrSly(m): 1:38pm On Sep 23, 2019
psucc:

I can't remember when last I made call with an mtn sim. 9mobile for browsing and airtel for calls. What else?
Re: Fear Of Boycott Grips South African Brands by monex(m): 3:44pm On Sep 23, 2019
psucc:
Then who owns all the millions of lines as reported by NCC?

that you have millions don't mean you own 100%

MTN owns 36% of the mobile/wireless telecoms market in Nigeria, Glo has 27%, Airtel 26%

So if MTN leaves, others simply fill up its share
Re: Fear Of Boycott Grips South African Brands by tck2000(m): 3:45pm On Sep 23, 2019
Hm
Re: Fear Of Boycott Grips South African Brands by Mosesibb: 5:10pm On Sep 23, 2019
MrHeff:

How do u manage to get 13GB with 2500 on glo because me na only 7.2GB glo they give me abeg which code u they use sub 2500 own ?
Re: Fear Of Boycott Grips South African Brands by MrHeff(m): 5:15pm On Sep 23, 2019
Mosesibb:

How do u manage to get 13GB with 2500 on glo because me na only 7.2GB glo they give me abeg which code u they use sub 2500 own ?
the same *777# fam. I'm on yakata plan

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

The Many Faces Of Bank Charges Paid By Nigerians / Can The Imo River Take (large) Ships? / Starting Mcdonalds In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.