Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,197,463 members, 7,964,896 topics. Date: Thursday, 03 October 2024 at 12:01 AM

Live Chicken, Sandals & Grill... 9 Of The Weirdest Awards We've Seen In Football - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Live Chicken, Sandals & Grill... 9 Of The Weirdest Awards We've Seen In Football (602 Views)

We're Impressed With What We've Seen So Far — FC Barcelona Scouts In Anambra / 'Man Of The Match' Wins Live Chicken In Malawi (Photo) / Russia Bans Nigerian Supporters From Bringing Live Chicken Into Stadium (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Live Chicken, Sandals & Grill... 9 Of The Weirdest Awards We've Seen In Football by obembet(f): 10:46am On Sep 27, 2019
Martin Odegaard has got his Real Sociedad career off to terrific start with two goals in his first five matches, and nobody was surprised when he was named his new club's player of the month.

More were when they saw what he'd been handed for his efforts, though. A sports car? Shiny trophy? Or perhaps just a decent bonus? Nope. Instead, the creative midfielder was presented with a large fish at a supermarket – honoring the San Sebastian club's aquatic heritage.

So we went looking for more oddities...

Mobile phone data
Footballers are used to getting a nice bottle of champagne for man-of-the-match awards, but that's boring: in South Africa, the only top-up Mamelodi Sundowns player Hlompho Kekana got was for his mobile phone network.

With Telkom as title sponsors for a domestic cup, players are given 5GB of data for being player of the match – leading to several star men looking rather sheepish while receiving a massive SIM card-shaped award. It's better than it looks, though: broadband is notoriously dodgy and expensive in South Africa, making phone data valuable.

24 bottles of beer
Africa is renowned for its terrific man-of-the-match gongs, and players from Zimbabwe's Premier Soccer League are presented with a crate as reward for their efforts.

You won't be surprised to learn that the league is sponsored by South African company Castle Lager, making recipients of the award particularly popular with team-mates.

A live chicken
In summer 2019, Hassan Kajoke enjoyed a match to remember by scoring two goals in a 5-0 win for Malawi side Nyasa Big Bullets (drink in that team name for a second).

What the striker probably didn't see coming was a fan presenting him with a live chicken post-match for his impressive performance. For an added touch, the confused fowl was handed to Kajoke in a cardboard box with his name sprayed on it in club colors.

But for Malawi, see also Poland. In August 2018, top-flight side Gornik Zabrze presented their man of the match with a live hen.

A Cool Box
Players often sign autographs and interact with fans after an intense game of football, but being given a food storage solution isn't usual among the post-match festivities.

That's what happened to Arsenal Women goalkeeper Emma Byrne, though, after she'd played a blinder in a Champions League tie against Swedish side Gothenburg. Handy, in fairness.

UEFA Best Player trophies
These awards are a pretty big deal, so UEFA should really create a trophy which matches its importance.

A silver trophy of a player with their arms aloft is a pretty good idea. The only problem is that the European head honchos forgot to give them a head, forearms or hands. We'll take the 24 bottles of beer, thanks.

A massive credit card
South African banking company Absa, who sponsor the country's Premier League, reward men-of-the-match victors with just over £100 of credit. Handy for buying stuff, less so to fit into your pocket.

Is it contactless?

A new grill
There's getting grilled in a post-match interview by a journalist, and then there's being given an actual grill by a journalist in a post-match interview.

Thanks to Argentine Premier League sponsors Burger King, Lanus striker Lautaro Acosta was presented with some new barbecue equipment and an apron with his name on it, after winning a player-of-the-match award back in 2017.

A mountain bike
When Aberdeen midfielder Stephen Glass set up two goals for the Dons in the 1995 League Cup Final against Dundee, he probably would have been happy with mere folk hero status at the Scottish Premier League side.

What he didn't expect was to be given a bicycle by comedian Sandi Toksvig, now of Great British Bake Off fame. The young Glass then cycled round Hampden Park in jubilant celebration - as you would.

In fact, the awarding of a bike was annual tradition for the Scottish League Cup in the late-90s. Neil McCann was given a new set of wheels the following year, though he was on the losing side as Hearts were beaten 4-3 by Rangers in 1996. It's the small victories….

A pair of sandals
To Ghana! And what better way for players to celebrate their success than by slipping out of their boots and sticking on some cool Adidas sliders?

Source: https://m.allfootballapp.com/amp/news/Headline/Live-chicken-sandals--grill...-9-of-the-weirdest-awards-weve-seen-in-football/1827910

Cc Lalasticlala
MissyB3
Fynestboi
Dominique
mynd44

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Live Chicken, Sandals & Grill... 9 Of The Weirdest Awards We've Seen In Football by dominique(f): 10:58am On Sep 27, 2019
5gb data that cannot last some people in 24 hours, stingy network.
Re: Live Chicken, Sandals & Grill... 9 Of The Weirdest Awards We've Seen In Football by Nobody: 11:59am On Sep 27, 2019
dominique:
5gb data that cannot last some people in 24 hours, stingy network.

Hi
Re: Live Chicken, Sandals & Grill... 9 Of The Weirdest Awards We've Seen In Football by obembet(f): 5:16pm On Sep 27, 2019
Lalasticlala
Re: Live Chicken, Sandals & Grill... 9 Of The Weirdest Awards We've Seen In Football by Nobody: 10:22pm On Sep 27, 2019
OP, I am here...

I live for threads like these. cool

Let's get it started...

OK, the best award of all, in my opinion, has got to be the 24 bottles of Lager. What a way to relax after a tough game. And my team mates best keep away. I think in Scotland it's a bottle of wine. Saw that once after a match.

Now, I can't remember for sure but I think there was a time a player was given a camel for being the MVP in one of those Middle East football leagues. I think I should go look for that story. That was a very long time ago. Got to do some digging up. Shovels out!

1 Like

Re: Live Chicken, Sandals & Grill... 9 Of The Weirdest Awards We've Seen In Football by Suplexx: 11:39pm On Nov 15, 2019

(1) (Reply)

Free Soccer Prediction / Dammmm Everyone Is Against Ronaldo / John Terry's Father Arrested After Allegedly Attacking His Girlfriend

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.