Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,216 members, 7,880,794 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 06:57 AM

Navy Foil Attempt To Blow Up Atlas Cove (Atlas Cove Again?) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Navy Foil Attempt To Blow Up Atlas Cove (Atlas Cove Again?) (1123 Views)

Ex-militants Threaten To Blow Up Hijacked Vessel, Expatriates Onboard Over Biafr / Security Agencies Foil Attempt to Free Boko Haram Detainees In Lokoja / Police Foil Attempt To Kidnap Allison-madueke’s Brother (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Navy Foil Attempt To Blow Up Atlas Cove (Atlas Cove Again?) by Onlytruth(m): 1:19am On Nov 03, 2010
[size=16pt][color=#990000][/color]Navy foil attempt to blow up Atlas Cove[/size]

By Alber Akpor

LAGOS—FIFTEEN months after the Nigeria National Petroleum Corporation, NNPC, Atlas Cove facility in Apapa, Lagos was set ablaze by alleged members of the Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta, MEND, the Navy weekend averted similar attempt and arrested 18 suspects.

The suspects were made up of 17 male and one female.  They came in a speed boat with red band tied around their heads and moving towards the oil facility chanting war songs when Naval personnel swooped on them.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2010/11/navy-foil-attempt-to-blow-up-atlas-cove/
Re: Navy Foil Attempt To Blow Up Atlas Cove (Atlas Cove Again?) by Onlytruth(m): 1:20am On Nov 03, 2010
Nna na wa o!

I thought militants agreed to steer clear of the west.
Re: Navy Foil Attempt To Blow Up Atlas Cove (Atlas Cove Again?) by chyz1: 1:25am On Nov 03, 2010
what away to try and bring discord to the south. why would they want to blow up atlas cove again? And when was the last time the authorities have ever captured fully armed militants on a speed boat? And on top of that, NO GUN BATTLE! lol(I laugh in japanese). LIARS!
Re: Navy Foil Attempt To Blow Up Atlas Cove (Atlas Cove Again?) by Beaf: 1:35am On Nov 03, 2010
chyz1:

what away to try and bring discord to the south. why would they want to blow up atlas cove again? And when was the last time the authorities have ever captured fully armed militants on a speed boat? And on top of that, NO GUN BATTLE! lol(I laugh in japanese). LIARS!

Exactly! Its so funny that sons and daughters of the ND sail past Ojo military cantonement, singing war songs. every ND person knows that sound travels extremely far on water, so they wouldn't be singing past a military barracks; you can hear the slightest sound from miles away. Why would anybody be singing war songs while trying to light up a high profile target like Atlas Cove?
Abeg, they should check them well, one or two might just be aboki.
Re: Navy Foil Attempt To Blow Up Atlas Cove (Atlas Cove Again?) by Onlytruth(m): 1:39am On Nov 03, 2010
Beaf:

Exactly! Its so funny that sons and daughters of the ND sail past Ojo military cantonement, singing war songs. every ND person knows that sound travels extremely far on water, so they wouldn't be singing past a military barracks; you can hear the slightest sound from miles away. Why would anybody be singing war songs while trying to light up a high profile target like Atlas Cove?

grin grin grin grin

Frankly the story is unusually short and doesn't make sense. undecided

Why Vanguard reported it beats me. I'm still waiting for a corroboration by other major newspapers. None yet.
Re: Navy Foil Attempt To Blow Up Atlas Cove (Atlas Cove Again?) by Beaf: 1:42am On Nov 03, 2010
Onlytruth:

grin grin grin grin

Frankly the story is unusually short and doesn't make sense. undecided

Why Vanguard reported it beats me. I'm still waiting for a corroboration by other major newspapers. None yet.

The story is true. The suspects were paraded on TV.
Re: Navy Foil Attempt To Blow Up Atlas Cove (Atlas Cove Again?) by Onlytruth(m): 1:43am On Nov 03, 2010
Beaf:

The story is true. The suspects were paraded on TV.

WTF! shocked shocked
Re: Navy Foil Attempt To Blow Up Atlas Cove (Atlas Cove Again?) by Abagworo(m): 2:08am On Nov 03, 2010
Some viki boys wey go ini don enter wahala be dat.dat thing no be pirates or buccaneer.

In a nutshell,this news is another funny one like those Dokpesi texts.
Re: Navy Foil Attempt To Blow Up Atlas Cove (Atlas Cove Again?) by Okijajuju1(m): 2:14am On Nov 03, 2010
No true Niger Delta Militant, trained in the art of guerrilla warfare would be caught in a boat, chanting war songs whilst on a high target mission like that. Surprise would be their tactic. I'm guessin the boat they came in had MILITANT written on the side of it as well. grin grin

No militant would let himself be caught alive!! angry

Abagworo:

grin
Re: Navy Foil Attempt To Blow Up Atlas Cove (Atlas Cove Again?) by shotster50(m): 4:03am On Nov 03, 2010
This story stinks to high heavens. Dirty politics as usual.
Re: Navy Foil Attempt To Blow Up Atlas Cove (Atlas Cove Again?) by Okijajuju1(m): 4:11am On Nov 03, 2010
I sure say na Catapult these militants carry!! grin
Re: Navy Foil Attempt To Blow Up Atlas Cove (Atlas Cove Again?) by FACE(m): 10:42am On Nov 03, 2010
Abagworo:

Some viki boys wey go ini don enter wahala be dat.dat thing no be pirates or buccaneer.

My thoughts too except the puzzle of presence of a lady. They were "sallying ruggedly" on their way to island. Very foolish thing to do in these trying times, they will learn the hard way now they have been caught.
Re: Navy Foil Attempt To Blow Up Atlas Cove (Atlas Cove Again?) by gidson12(m): 11:21am On Nov 03, 2010
These ppl are unfortunate cultist being caught and framed 4 attempted pipeline bombing, the storyline sef too lame
Re: Navy Foil Attempt To Blow Up Atlas Cove (Atlas Cove Again?) by Beaf: 11:40am On Nov 03, 2010
[size=14pt]Navy arrests suspected militants in Lagos[/size]
By Patience Ogbo
November 3, 2010 07:16AM

Eighteen suspected militants have been arrested by the Nigerian Navy near the Atlas Cove Jetty belonging to the Nigeria National Petroleum Corporation at Apapa.

The suspected militants were paraded at the naval base at Apapa by the Flag Officer Commanding, Western Navy Command, E.O Ogbor. He said the vigilance of the naval officers led to the arrest of the suspects. “A patrol team of the Nigeria Navy, drawn from NNS BEECROTF Naval Base, spotted and arrested some militants and pipeline vandals at Takwa Bay near the NNPC Atlas Cove facility,” he said. “They were in a speed boat, tied their trade mark red headbands and were chanting war songs. However, upon interrogation, some of them, who volunteered to give confessional statements, revealed that they were members of a cult group called Norsemen Club, also known as the Supreme Vikings.”

Not guilty

The suspects, however, said they were not militants. “We are not members of MEND and we are not Niger Delta militants,” said one of them, who spoke on condition of anonymity. “We belong to a cult known as the Supreme Vikings. We were ‘sailing’ as is the custom of the cult to familiarise ourselves with the water, so that was how we sailed to Lagos as part of our training. The only thing I was told was that we, the newly initiated members, were going on a trip on the sea to get acclimatised, learn signs and songs of the confraternity and become ‘hard men.’ It was in the process that we were arrested by the Navy.” According the Mr Ogbor, the suspects have since been handed over to the police for prosecution. When contacted, the force spokesperson, Frank Mba, said he was yet to be briefed on the incident.

Last year, the Nigeria National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) Atlas Cove facility in Apapa was blown by suspected members of the Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta (MEND). A naval officer, Kolawole Awe, and three naval ratings were killed during that attack, while oil pipelines at the jetty were destroyed. This arrest is also coming barely one week after security operatives seized 13 containers of arms and ammunition at the AP Moller Terminal, Apapa Port.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Technology/Science/5637826-146/story.csp

Ini gone bad.
Re: Navy Foil Attempt To Blow Up Atlas Cove (Atlas Cove Again?) by FACE(m): 11:55am On Nov 03, 2010
Ini gone bad no be small. What a nice jackpot for the police. Their parents will now have to pay a lot a money to secure their release. Some of them might have been sent to school with the last buck at home in the first place. I always said that it is essential to be smart to pull off this confra thing.
Re: Navy Foil Attempt To Blow Up Atlas Cove (Atlas Cove Again?) by hakanai(m): 3:47pm On Nov 03, 2010
Beaf:

you see just how stupid one can be.jump to silly conclusions without checking.I know you brains may have being trained to work that way!your comments and the news are obviously different.do you care to apologise for calling an innocent group with a bad name.Mr tribalism or regionalism wink

shotster50:

This story stinks to high heavens. Dirty politics as usual.

Wrong again! shocked

Okija_juju:

No true Niger Delta Militant, trained in the art of guerrilla warfare would be caught in a boat, chanting war songs whilst on a high target mission like that. Surprise would be their tactic. I'm guessin the boat they came in had MILITANT written on the side of it as well. grin grin

No militant would let himself be caught alive!! angry

grin
you my friend sound like one obviously.sound like a gifted guerilla fighter. grin
Re: Navy Foil Attempt To Blow Up Atlas Cove (Atlas Cove Again?) by Beaf: 5:12pm On Nov 03, 2010
^
My reserved apologies.
When people from the core North learn to view all Nigerians equally, then such suspisions will dry up. Right now, it is natural to be suspisious of dirty political tricks, because core Northern leaders have promised to make Nigeria ungovernable if they don't get the presidency.
Re: Navy Foil Attempt To Blow Up Atlas Cove (Atlas Cove Again?) by Abagworo(m): 5:25pm On Nov 03, 2010
Abagworo:

Some viki boys wey go ini don enter wahala be dat.

And Abagworo as usual scores 100% in his analysis with limited info.

(1) (Reply)

Nigerians are Passive Citizens. Why? / I Endorse Muhammadu Buhari For President By Sonala Olumhense / Buhari: The Man Who Put Fela In Prison

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.