Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,181,154 members, 7,913,302 topics. Date: Tuesday, 06 August 2024 at 11:38 PM

How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? - Phones (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? (37992 Views)

(Mathematical Proof) - How People Justify Buying Phone Of N600,000 / App That Cost ₦80,000.00 On Playstore / Sme Data: Get Mtn 1gb For N600 Or 1.5gb For N900 With 3 Month Validity (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by GeoAfrikana(m): 10:10am On Sep 30, 2019
ZesusHVWritter:

Let me try to break it down for you.
Life is a sequence of priorities and alternatives.
Different people with different priorities.
Rational thinking to you might be absurd reasoning to another.

What is really important in the area of phone buying is budgeting>reasons for buying.

Your financial earnings is a major factor when budgeting for a phone.

If I buy a phone of 600k now, it might not be rational to you, because to you earning such figure and spending it on a phone is irrational.

To me. I bought the phone because my budget allows me to spend 600k on a phone once every 7 years, or 95k every year.
So you know, there are people who spend more than 600k on phone every 7 years.

Take for instance someone who buys an itel device 15k. To him/her that is a good way to spend on a phone.
In less than 2 months he spends another 35k on another itel phone because the first itel was poor all round.
In 3 months he goes for an infinix device of 45k, because the previous itel was poor in battery, charging and display.
In 4 months he dumps his infinix for Samsung of 150k because the infinix was just another regrettable buy due to its outdated components and poor assembly.

So let's calculate how much this person spent on a device due to poor choices and lack of budget management.
15+35+45+150=245k in a year.
Rationally that is wasteful to me.
But that same person if he sees my receipt of buying a device for 600k just like you, he would see an irrational individual, but he spends more in a single year, than I would in two years.

So difference between us is Budgeting.
There is no general rationality, or human rationality when it comes to phone buying.

There is only income>buget>choice.

According to your explanation, if I'm earning 500k per month and I buy a phone of 20k for just call and receive instead of a Torchlight phone it isn't a waste of money?

Which means that any money I buy on something I can afford is not a waste even if I don't need it.

Do you know that this is similar to buying 10pieces of meat when I know I can't eat more than 2pieces just because I can afford 10pieces?

Does this sound like wasteful spending to you?
Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by Lexusgs430: 10:20am On Sep 30, 2019
ZesusHVWritter:

Hehehe. The reply was directed at just one person, am without doubt he would understand, hence the need to be comprehensive in my explanation.

I already told you so........ grin
Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by ZesusHVWritter(m): 11:04am On Sep 30, 2019
GeoAfrikana:

According to your explanation, if I'm earning 500k per month and I buy a phone of 20k for just call and receive instead of a Torchlight phone it isn't a waste of money?

Which means that any money I buy on something I can afford is not a waste even if I don't need it.

Do you know that this is similar to buying 10pieces of meat when I know I can't eat more than 2pieces just because I can afford 10pieces?

Does this sound like wasteful spending to you?
Your problem with spending or expenditure is not rationality. It's "NEED".

According to my explanation, we are not talking of justification of spending, we are talking about rationality.

You are asking for the rationality behind someone spending 600k on a phone, I tried explaining that to you, but from your response.
what you are actually after is, the need and justification behind someone spending 600k on a phone. So the first problem here is your choice of words to express your grievance towards people's choice of spending.

So am going to address the points you illustrated.

"According to your explanation, if I'm earning 500k per month and I buy a phone of 20k for just call and receive instead of a Torchlight phone it isn't a waste of money?"
=Of course, it's a waste of your money because what you need a phone for according to you is call and receive, the quality of the phone and the call you make and receive are not important to you, so long cals were made and received on that device irrespective of the comfort that accompany' the usage.

"Which means that any money I buy on something I can afford is not a waste even if I don't need it."
=Any money you spend on something you can afford is not a waste. Except you are telling me you spend your hard earned money without a need in mind to satisfy, in such case your problem is psychological and needs a professional psychologist's attention.

"Do you know that this is similar to buying 10pieces of meat when I know I can't eat more than 2pieces just because I can afford 10pieces?"
= This and what I said in response to attempt to clarify the rationale behind the reason for spending 600k on a phone have nothing in common.

So let me address this.
If you can only eat 2 meat, but went ahead to buy 10 pieces of meats. You are nutritiously wayward and vague in reasoning, or have poor relationships with your body. You need an urgent medical check up.
But if you see me buying 20 pieces of meats and paying for it, but you bought 2 pieces of meats, then address me as being wasteful because am not buying 2 pieces of meats like you. You are an hypocrite and too concerned about people's way of life, instead of minding your own business. My advice to you would be, concern yourself with your issues first, then love others not judge them, advice them after giving them room to be close to you so as to get their need and choice.
Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by ZesusHVWritter(m): 11:09am On Sep 30, 2019
Lexusgs430:

I like your believe...... cheesy
We must be patient and forebearing towards one and other, otherwise there is no room for friendship and relationship.
Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by Lexusgs430: 11:14am On Sep 30, 2019
ZesusHVWritter:

We must be patient and forebearing towards one and other, otherwise there is no room for friendship and relationship.

Some arguments are beyond belief......

It's like attempting to argue with the deaf,dumb and blind ........
Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by ZesusHVWritter(m): 1:04pm On Sep 30, 2019
Lexusgs430:

Some arguments are beyond belief......

It's like attempting to argue with the deaf,dumb and blind ........
I do agree to a large extent there are arguments that are unfounded and pure sentimentally oriented, and are basically originated to spur hatred.

But if you understand the current argument you can clearly deduce the character of the op.
He is self justifying. And such persons without guidance and correction would become toxic towards everyone including loved ones.

I will liken the op's character to that of Judas Ischariot a disciple of Jesus Christ who was among those that blamed the woman with the alabaster oil for anointing Christ, but wished that the oil should have been sold and given to the poor.
Due to Judas regarding of money over life, he wasn't respectful or second guessing before he sold Christ for seven piece of silver.

People love themselves, they believe they deserve the best that money can buy.
But op believes people deserves less, that no one should acquire anything for pleasure or desire, otherwise that person is wasteful.

This ideology is in itself toxic and shouldn't dwell in anyone, because it breeds hatred, jealousy, anger, wickedness and ends with depression.
Love people first. Every good thing is made, was made for man. Not man for things.

1 Like

Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by Vikkiboi(m): 1:31pm On Sep 30, 2019
do you know that buying a 50k phone might sound so irrational and very expensive to some class of people? Its all about preference here.

Do you know that what you saving up to achieve in life be it a car, house or good investment, some people have double of them? people like that wont even think before buying the phone.

just know your level and move on with it
Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by Xisnin(m): 1:59pm On Sep 30, 2019
IMASTEX:

Only those that are well traveled, have a better comprehension between affordability & needs even when the cash is always available will understand what the op is talking about. Till then, stick to your believes & love for Nigeria.
If you are well-travelled as you claimed, you would know that most businesses do not survive the first 10 years let alone 50.
You would also know how much debt people acquire to enjoy luxury in some developed country and
realise that an iPhone is never an achievement to be celebrated.
Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by 9tailskid: 2:00pm On Sep 30, 2019
GeoAfrikana:

As I mentioned in a comment at the beginning of this thread, it's not about the money. It's about paying for what doesn't make your life better.

Even if it's #10 biscuit. It would still be unwise to buy it when you don't need it.

Sometimes, I go to an eatery and order for just one piece of meat even when I can comfortably afford ten pieces. Why? Because I don't see any extra benefit in a second piece of meat.

True.. I understand that but come to think of it. Would you buy one piece of meat if you were really hungry?
I'm thinking no.. You'd probably buy 2 or maybe 3 to quell your hunger.
Imagine then if someone sees you eating 3 pieces of meat and proceeds to assume you're wasteful without knowing you actually needed to eat 3 pieces of meat?

Someone buying a 600k phone does so cos they can afford it. I for one have no problem with that as long they're helping out people in need.
It's their money no doubt but if they'd help out a but more often then maybe we'll be able to agree to disagree
Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by tafat: 3:07pm On Sep 30, 2019
TBVH i dont think there is any justification for this, especially when i can get a phone for less than 50k like the camnon 12 that can perform just like this iphone.
GeoAfrikana:
We work hard to earn money, so it's rational for us to spend our money on only products/services that (we believe) will add value to our lives.

Yesterday, I heard of a phone that costs #600k. The first question that came to my mind was:

what will I enjoy from this phone that my Google Pixel won't give?

So I decided to throw this question to the house.

How can you rationally justify spending #600k on a phone?

Thanks.
Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by Spy360(m): 9:54am On Nov 25, 2019
Lexusgs430:

If one cannot spend excessively on particular items, does not mean those that do...... Are making a foolish decision......

Human wants are unlimited, but resources are very limited..... Simply put, cut your coat accordingly to the materials available.......
Stop typing English. Tell us what a 600k phone can do.
Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by Lexusgs430: 10:16am On Nov 25, 2019
Spy360:

Stop typing English. Tell us what a 600k phone can do.

The reasons for justifications, remains simply the responsibility of the spender......

Either morally or psychologically, it's their money and they owe nobody, not even noobody any moral or rational justification..........

The phone you are presently using, did you have to justify the purchase to anybody?..... grin
Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by Spy360(m): 12:38pm On Nov 25, 2019
Lexusgs430:

The reasons for justifications, remains simply the responsibility of the spender......

Either morally or psychologically, it's their money and they owe nobody, not even noobody any moral or rational justification..........

The phone you are presently using, did you have to justify the purchase to anybody?..... grin
You are right.

But that's not my question. undecided

What can a 600k phone do?
Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by Lexusgs430: 1:02pm On Nov 25, 2019
Spy360:

You are right.

But that's not my question. undecided

What can a 600k phone do?

I don't own a 600K smartphone......... grin

So Oga, how can I answer this specific question?...... grin
Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by Spy360(m): 3:25pm On Nov 25, 2019
Lexusgs430:

I don't own a 600K smartphone......... grin

So Oga, how can I answer this specific question?...... grin
So why have you been answering?
Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by LeeMason(m): 4:12pm On Nov 25, 2019
600k might seem like alot to money but always remember that to others its barely lunch money.
Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by Lexusgs430: 5:33pm On Nov 25, 2019
Spy360:

So why have you been answering?

Because people have the freedom to do whatever they like, with their money.......

I shall not allow poverty mentality, chew me on the inside and outside.. ............
Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by Spy360(m): 11:30pm On Nov 25, 2019
Lexusgs430:

Because people have the freedom to do whatever they like, with their money.......

I shall not allow poverty mentality, chew me on the inside and outside.. ............
But you admitted you were answering off point.
Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by Lexusgs430: 6:57am On Nov 26, 2019
Spy360:

But you admitted you were answering off point.

Nope i have stuck to my only point......... Which was, people have the financial liberty to do whatever they like, with their funds.

Without people been envious, jealous, critic, insult and attempt to hang them............
Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by Spy360(m): 7:12am On Nov 26, 2019
Lexusgs430:

Nope i have stuck to my only point......... Which was, people have the financial liberty to do whatever they like, with their funds.

Without people been envious, jealous, critic, insult and attempt to hang them............
That's what I am saying. It does not answer the question, which you admitted.
Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by Lexusgs430: 7:25am On Nov 26, 2019
Spy360:

That's what I am saying. It does not answer the question, which you admitted.

I have answered the question, the best way i feel is appropriate.......... In my opinion.........
Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by xtervaganza(m): 7:28am On Nov 26, 2019
GeoAfrikana:

Thanks for your contribution bro.
According to you, if I get you right, the fact that you can afford it is enough justification.

I don't believe this is rational. A rational human being spends on what adds value/benefit to his life.

come off your high horse. Unless you are coming off a place of extreme hatred, jealousy or poverty. B4 you ask this question, why not take a look at your closet. Take a list of things you bought just because you can afford it. Aside values, we all buy expensive things when we could have bought the cheaper one that will still serve the same purpose
Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by Spy360(m): 7:34am On Nov 26, 2019
Lexusgs430:

I have answered the question, the best way i feel is appropriate.......... In my opinion.........
Your best answer/opinion will always be appreciated.
At this point we can say goodbye.
Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by Lexusgs430: 8:22am On Nov 26, 2019
Spy360:

Your best answer/opinion will always be appreciated.
At this point we can say goodbye.

And some nairalanders should learn from this banter.........

No disagreements should end in insults..... Respect and appreciate other opinions..............

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Nokia 7.2 Unboxing And Full Review. Default Camera Vs GCAM V7 + Price (photos) / Photos From Computer Village Carnival 2020 Edition / Chinese Woman Gets 20 Iphone7 From 20 Boyfriends, Sells Them And Buys A House

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.