Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,652 members, 7,889,118 topics. Date: Saturday, 13 July 2024 at 11:44 PM

Omphaloism - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Omphaloism (669 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Omphaloism by Image123(m): 3:19pm On May 27, 2021
LordReed:

Don't mind the joker. Always forming high horse and ignoring his obvious hypocrisy. LoL.

See as you turn yourself into a gossip na. Instead of you to call your boy privately to use his senses sensibly. Anyways, you're both under the radar, speak folly and hear from me shortly.
Re: Omphaloism by budaatum: 3:20pm On May 27, 2021
I will consider reporting you all for:

1. Please post all threads in the right section, and don't derail threads by posting off topic.

2. Don't abuse, bully, deliberately insult/provoke, fight, or wish harm to Nairaland members OR THEIR TRIBES.

23. Do not deliberately be immature!

1 Like

Re: Omphaloism by Image123(m): 3:22pm On May 27, 2021
budaatum:
I will consider reporting you all for:

1. Please post all threads in the right section, and don't derail threads by posting off topic.

2. Don't abuse, bully, deliberately insult/provoke, fight, or wish harm to Nairaland members OR THEIR TRIBES.

23. Do not deliberately be immature!

Good one, or call your subject to order which is quite straightforward and manly.
Re: Omphaloism by LordReed(m): 3:23pm On May 27, 2021
Image123:

See as you turn yourself into a gossip na. Instead of you to call your boy privately to use his senses sensibly. Anyways, you're both under the radar, speak folly and hear from me shortly.

LMFAO! Na me send you work? Bwahahahahaha!
[img]https://media1./images/de63067cb32a34143de71735c4451aee/tenor.gif?itemid=9559918[/img]
Re: Omphaloism by budaatum: 3:36pm On May 27, 2021
Image123:

Good one, or call your subject to order which is quite straightforward and manly.

I am asking you all to call yourselves to order image.

I believe that ought to be straightforward enough since none of you are subject to me and I am not the master of any of you,
Re: Omphaloism by shadeyinka(m): 4:15pm On May 27, 2021
budaatum:
Omphaloism!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omphalos_hypothesis
Hearing of this word for the first time.

I think the bible points more towards an OLD earth than a YOUNG (7000 years old) earth. Genesis took care of this.

1. In the beginning, God created the Heavens (everything else other than the earth) and the Earth.
2. Sometimes after this creation (no one knows how long) , the Earth (specifically) was desolate (without form and void with darkness covering everything)
3. The account of the populating of the earth starts with God separating the Waters from the Ground. (You will note that nowhere was water created: it was already present so also the ground)

Here, some theologians postulate that perhaps the OLD earth was destroyed at a time in the past and they site the fall of satan/war in heaven as the cause. Hence to these theologians, the earth is as old as the rest of the universe (13.6 billion years) but the narration in Genesis is about the REPOPULATION of the earth with living things (approximately 7000 years ago)

Theologians who believe in Omphaloism may want to disregard that the phrase "In the beginning" to mean 7000 years ago rather than an earlier time. They use Noah's flood as the source of all the fossils, shales, coal, graphite and crude oil in the world. Some may disagree with the various scientific dating methods siting the fact that the earth has changed with time.

What does the bible say to clarify this? Nothing!
The bible isn't a scientific book. It is mainly a Chronicle emphasising relationship of Man with God and with himself.

My Understanding:
1. The earth is the same age as the rest of the universe
2. It appears there was an old world probably populated with giant prehistoric animals and giant trees but destroyed with water filling up everywhere
3. It appears there was a recreation of living things including man as reported by Genesis 1.
4. It appears that there was a second flood
during the time of Noah that buried billions of tonnes of living things and trees.

This could mean that our current sources of fossils, shales, coal, graphite and crude oil may have come from both floods. I strongly believe that fossil fuels came from a sudden burial of a large collection of both animals and plants remains and not through gradual burial as described in literatures.

5. It is also important to note that the earth was divided along the tectonic plates AFTER the Noah's flood. In other words the geology of the earth before the flood was vastly different from now.

Above is my little take on your inspiring topic.
Shalom

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Omphaloism by budaatum: 4:34pm On May 27, 2021
The Bible is an old book, written in times when very little was known, so the Bible pointed early understanding and up until about the 17th century to a young earth of about 7000 years old until we did science, as in asked and knocked and sought with all our hearts and minds and soul and beings for more information and now we know better.

Today, we benefit from all that asking and knocking and seeking and find it absurd that anyone could possibly have thought the earth was so young, but in the past one could have been burnt for heresy for claiming the earth was billions of years old.

We understand our Bible through our current ways of looking and seeing, which has changed a lot over time, and is a lesson one can easily observe happening between the Old and the New Testament. Because even though Christ is written to have said he did not come to change the Law, it is very obvious he gave a new understanding to the Law, and has given us the authority for even newer understandings hence why we are sent the Holy Spirit as a guide and the example of it being used by Paul.

shadeyinka:

Hearing of this word for the first time.

I think the bible points more towards an OLD earth than a YOUNG (7000 years old) earth. Genesis took care of this.

1. In the beginning, God created the Heavens (everything else other than the earth) and the Earth.
2. Sometimes after this creation (no one knows how long) , the Earth (specifically) was desolate (without form and void with darkness covering everything)
3. The account of the populating of the earth starts with God separating the Waters from the Ground. (You will note that nowhere was water created: it was already present so also the ground)

Here, some theologians postulate that perhaps the OLD earth was destroyed at a time in the past and they site the fall of satan/war in heaven as the cause. Hence to these theologians, the earth is as old as the rest of the universe (13.6 billion years) but the narration in Genesis is about the REPOPULATION of the earth with living things (approximately 7000 years ago)

Theologians who believe in Omphaloism may want to disregard that the phrase "In the beginning" to mean 7000 years ago rather than an earlier time. They use Noah's flood as the source of all the fossils, shales, coal, graphite and crude oil in the world. Some may disagree with the various scientific dating methods siting the fact that the earth has changed with time.

What does the bible say to clarify this? Nothing!
The bible isn't a scientific book. It is mainly a Chronicle emphasising relationship of Man with God and with himself.

My Understanding:
1. The earth is the same age as the rest of the universe
2. It appears there was an old world probably populated with giant prehistoric animals and giant trees but destroyed with water filling up everywhere
3. It appears there was a recreation of living things including man as reported by Genesis 1.
4. It appears that there was a second floor during the time of Noah that buried billions of tonnes of living things and trees.

This could mean that our current sources of fossils, shales, coal, graphite and crude oil may have come from both floods. I strongly believe that fossil fuels came from a sudden burial of a large collection of both animals and plants remains and not through gradual burial as described in literatures.

5. It is also important to note that the earth was divided along the tectonic plates AFTER the Noah's flood. In other words the geology of the earth before the flood was vastly different from now.

Above is my little take on your inspiring topic.
Shalom
Re: Omphaloism by kingxsamz(m): 4:37pm On May 27, 2021
LordReed:

LoL! He will come and say you are being sour just cos you don't want to play his stupìd word games. Bwahahahaha!

grin grin I know.
I have left him alone.
The replies we give him is what's feeding him. When we stop replying to his clownery, he'll feel irrelevant and useless. So I have left him. I won't bother reading his posts or replying to his numerous mentions daily.
Re: Omphaloism by shadeyinka(m): 5:51pm On May 27, 2021
budaatum:
The Bible is an old book, written in times when very little was known, so the Bible pointed early understanding and up until about the 17th century to a young earth of about 7000 years old until we did science, as in asked and knocked and sought with all our hearts and minds and soul and beings for more information and now we know better.

Today, we benefit from all that asking and knocking and seeking and find it absurd that anyone could possibly have thought the earth was so young, but in the past one could have been burnt for heresy for claiming the earth was billions of years old.

We understand our Bible through our current ways of looking and seeing, which has changed a lot over time, and is a lesson one can easily observe happening between the Old and the New Testament. Because even though Christ is written to have said he did not come to change the Law, it is very obvious he gave a new understanding to the Law, and has given us the authority for even newer understandings hence why we are sent the Holy Spirit as a guide and the example of it being used by Paul.

The bible remains as it was!
It was understood by the general knowledge available then.
However, with better understanding of science, we can look at the scriptures with better understanding.

The scripture didn't change: our understanding did!
Re: Omphaloism by budaatum: 6:08pm On May 27, 2021
shadeyinka:

The bible remains as it was!
It was understood by the general knowledge available then.
However, with better understanding of science, we can look at the scriptures with better understanding.

The scripture didn't change: our understanding did!

"The scripture didn't change: our understanding did": and always must and will.

It is called "the evolution of how we humans think and reason", and is what Christ is asking us to do when he says "Unless we be born again we will not evolve in our understanding of God's Kingdom".

And p.s. The Bible has changed a lot over time and continues to do so, you will find.
Re: Omphaloism by MrPresident1: 7:39pm On May 27, 2021
budaatum:

Ease on the blasphemy buda for eartum aka budaatum. The Bible was written by angels, no intelligence anywhere in this present world of satan and his hopeless dogs can come near it. Ease on the Blasphemy.

The Bible is the beginning and end of knowledge, but fools despise understanding
Re: Omphaloism by budaatum: 7:50pm On May 27, 2021
MrPresident1:

The Bible was written by angels,

I can only be sympathetic to your limited understanding that makes a book your god you bow down and worship.

The Lord God will show mercy on you.

Re: Omphaloism by LordReed(m): 9:06pm On May 27, 2021
kingxsamz:

grin grin I know.
I have left him alone.
The replies we give him is what's feeding him. When we stop replying to his clownery, he'll feel irrelevant and useless. So I have left him. I won't bother reading his posts or replying to his numerous mentions daily.

Good call.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Names Of Sexual Sins That Defile The Body / Anglican Bishop Of Aba/umuahia. Rt Rev. Ikechi Nwosu Visits Mayor Lucky Igbokwe / The Identities Of The 5 Foolish Virgins

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.