Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,889 members, 7,872,915 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 04:21 AM

Ajaokuta: Steel Workers Welcome Plan To Return Coy To Original Builder - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ajaokuta: Steel Workers Welcome Plan To Return Coy To Original Builder (12462 Views)

Atiku Vows To Fix Ajaokuta Steel Coy, Develop Inland Port In Kogi / Enugu Moves To Restore Recreation Parks To Original Purpose / Nigeria To Sell Ajaokuta Steel Company After Spending $80bn On A Moribund Steel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ajaokuta: Steel Workers Welcome Plan To Return Coy To Original Builder by KiddiesTablets(f): 6:28am On Oct 04, 2019
Get your children educational android tablets @ N20,000 with free delivery nationwide. Go through my threads for pictures and please check my signature for contact...
Re: Ajaokuta: Steel Workers Welcome Plan To Return Coy To Original Builder by Ameboperoo(m): 6:28am On Oct 04, 2019
Natasha for President! Her efforts are finally yeilding results.
My steel lady.
Re: Ajaokuta: Steel Workers Welcome Plan To Return Coy To Original Builder by planetx: 6:33am On Oct 04, 2019
Ajaokuta is obsolete

1 Like

Re: Ajaokuta: Steel Workers Welcome Plan To Return Coy To Original Builder by sulaak(m): 6:34am On Oct 04, 2019
Ajaokuta Steel technology is out of date in the era of robotics and automation, energy efficiency is paramount and the antiquated Russian built Ajaokuta steel plant will not work in the 21st century. Nigeria should scrap the Ajaokuta steel plant and turn the site into a technology park for new technology such as semiconductors, biotechnology and AI.

Small automated steel plants, like the old Delta Steel plant, can replace Ajaokuta Steel.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ajaokuta: Steel Workers Welcome Plan To Return Coy To Original Builder by 9jaRealist: 6:36am On Oct 04, 2019
grin grin grin

Jokers! If it were not so tragic this would be funny! SMH

Ajaokuta Steel is based on outdated 1960s/70s Soviet-era technology...
Should be sold off “as is” or scrapped, but won’t happen as it employs ‘Comrades’ without turning out an ounce of steel.

>

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ajaokuta: Steel Workers Welcome Plan To Return Coy To Original Builder by sulaak(m): 6:39am On Oct 04, 2019
Opexzy:
Steel is an integral raw material in some industrial products... This will be a plus to the economy of they succeed and not just another audio company or investment

Steel is not a raw material!

Iron ore, coal\coke or natural gas are the raw materials for the production of Steel. Nigeria has low-quality coke and iron ore hence the iron ore and coke will have to be imported, although coke can be replaced with the GAS.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ajaokuta: Steel Workers Welcome Plan To Return Coy To Original Builder by etrouble: 6:40am On Oct 04, 2019
IamaNigerianGuy:
The USSR originally built the plant not Russia, and so much time has passed that it is doubtful whether the OEMs still exist or the technology is still viable.

Although in all fairness, the failure of Ajaokuta is not Bubus fault, I doubt if his primary school education and herdsman outlook is sufficient to solve this problem.
In fact, I can bet it is not.

This hatred that your parents planted in you is the reason why you are frustrated, sad, depressed and suicidal. Buhari kee you there. Your father who is well schooled, please list his life achievements. Has he ever headed your Church Choir, or your school PTA or your community CDA? go and die.
Re: Ajaokuta: Steel Workers Welcome Plan To Return Coy To Original Builder by 9jaRealist: 6:41am On Oct 04, 2019
sulaak:
Ajaokuta Steel technology is out of date in the era of robotics and automation, energy efficiency is paramount and the antiquated Russian built Ajaokuta steel plant will not work in the 21st century. Nigeria should scrap the Ajaokuta steel plant and turn the site into a technology park for new technology such as semiconductors, biotechnology and AI.

Small automated steel plants, like the old Delta Steel plant, can replace Ajaokuta Steel.

The old Delta Steel has been PRIVATIZED and re-engineered/rebuilt, and is now known as a Premium Steel...

1 Like

Re: Ajaokuta: Steel Workers Welcome Plan To Return Coy To Original Builder by Kingofdemonss: 6:41am On Oct 04, 2019
[s]
Exc2000:
cool

Buhari na talk and do man

[/s]
Re: Ajaokuta: Steel Workers Welcome Plan To Return Coy To Original Builder by sulaak(m): 6:45am On Oct 04, 2019
Ameboperoo:
Natasha for President! Her efforts are finally yeilding results.
My steel lady.

The woman is clueless, selecting a 34 years old deputy as her governorship running mate, where is her due diligence in selecting candidates.

Her interest in Ajaokuta is based on sentiment and not common sense, her father once worked in Ajaokuta in the 1970s and 80s.

4 Likes

Re: Ajaokuta: Steel Workers Welcome Plan To Return Coy To Original Builder by OlujobaSamuel: 6:49am On Oct 04, 2019
helinues:
The way Ajaokuta has been on news heh,, you will think it is a successful projects...

Abandoned projects since 15 BC
Lol, the funniest thing is that the company is having staff and unions of various type.
When I just got to know about the company some years back, I thought it's a case of one seeking expansion or like that of Nigeria Airways that some staff claim due process wasn't followed in laying them off, I no know sey na foetus wey don reach 7months but no sign of 8th and 9th month not to mention delivery
Re: Ajaokuta: Steel Workers Welcome Plan To Return Coy To Original Builder by 9jaRealist: 6:56am On Oct 04, 2019
sulaak:

Iron ore, coal\coke or natural gas are the raw materials for the production of Steel. Nigeria has low-quality coke and iron ore hence the iron ore and coke will have to be imported, although coke can be replaced with the GAS.

Not necessarily, that’s why there’s a beneficiation plant at Itakpe...
Furthermore, the mines being exploited by the Australians at Agbaja has ore of 65% Fe.
>
Re: Ajaokuta: Steel Workers Welcome Plan To Return Coy To Original Builder by sylve11: 6:59am On Oct 04, 2019
helinues:
The way Ajaokuta has been on news heh,, you will think it is a successful projects...

Abandoned projects since 15 BC

i tell you , my brother. Ajaokuta and Delta Steel Company are some abandoned projects that would have employed some reasonable amount of persons crying ''suffering'' right now. In my next life, i don't want to be a nigerian, not my will but my wish............... cool
Re: Ajaokuta: Steel Workers Welcome Plan To Return Coy To Original Builder by 9jaRealist: 7:00am On Oct 04, 2019
OlujobaSamuel:
Lol, the funniest thing is that the company is having staff and unions of various type.
When I just got to know about the company some years back, I thought it's a case of one seeking expansion or like that of Nigeria Airways that some staff claim due process wasn't followed in laying them off, I no know sey na foetus wey don reach 7months but no sign of 8th and 9th month not to mention delivery

That’s the only ‘commodity’ that Ajaokuta has produced in 40-odd years...
A bloated workforce and management staff with generous perks and benefits.
>

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ajaokuta: Steel Workers Welcome Plan To Return Coy To Original Builder by sulaak(m): 7:01am On Oct 04, 2019
9jaRealist:

Not necessarily, that’s why there’s a beneficiation plant at Itakpe...
Further, the bigger mines being exploited by the Australians at Agbaja has ore of 65% Fe.
>
Itakpe mine has low-grade Iron Ore. It will be less costly to import Iron Ore from Guinea

Itakpe represents one of the largest iron ore reserves in Nigeria and in the world having estimated reserves of 3 billion tonnes of ore grading 32% iron metal.[1]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Itakpe_mine
Re: Ajaokuta: Steel Workers Welcome Plan To Return Coy To Original Builder by 9jaRealist: 7:04am On Oct 04, 2019
sulaak:

Itakpe mine has low-grade Iron Ore. It will be less costly to import Iron Ore from Guinea

Hence the beneficiation process...
When it’s working properly, it’s CHEAPER than importation ($65 vs $89 per ton).
>
Re: Ajaokuta: Steel Workers Welcome Plan To Return Coy To Original Builder by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 7:09am On Oct 04, 2019
etrouble:

This hatred that your parents planted in you is the reason why you are frustrated, sad, depressed and suicidal. Buhari kee you there. Your father who is well schooled, please list his life achievements. Has he ever headed your Church Choir, or your school PTA or your community CDA? go and die.

You need to earn your 30k. I don't hold your words against you brother. Poverty is a bastard.

3 Likes

Re: Ajaokuta: Steel Workers Welcome Plan To Return Coy To Original Builder by omenka(m): 7:17am On Oct 04, 2019
pacino26:
Since they've given the Chinese opportunity in all most sectors it will be wise to grant the Russians their age long dream.

AJSC is very vital for industrialization with lots of design and fabrication companies springing up. I must also not forget Natasha the real woman of steel. I guess her hand is on this.
Still very much doubtful about the viability of the factory given its age. The processes and technology built into the system might be outdated and updating them might prove as costly as building a new factory.

Let's see how it goes though. No nation in the world can excel industrially without a number of such steel manufacturing companies.

1 Like

Re: Ajaokuta: Steel Workers Welcome Plan To Return Coy To Original Builder by propynich123: 7:18am On Oct 04, 2019
Re: Ajaokuta: Steel Workers Welcome Plan To Return Coy To Original Builder by SEGLIZ: 7:21am On Oct 04, 2019
kingphilip:
Very welcomed development if followed through but the problem with Nigeria is the inability to put words to action and those that manage to start most times apply the breaks but until we go full throttle on all our endeavors in life, we might end up losing opportunities we would have gained if we had followed through

since fayemi, has relocated to his village, I pray and I see this working out. he was bent on selling that plant,
as much as I like that man (fayemi) that vehement act of selling the plant made me dislike him.
Re: Ajaokuta: Steel Workers Welcome Plan To Return Coy To Original Builder by luminouz(m): 7:22am On Oct 04, 2019
sulaak:

Lmaoooo
Robotics and automation made from clay abi? Or carbon composites?
We need that plant as a country and to release our steel tech potentials, how can the old delta steel plant satisfy demands?
Too bad people don't know that ajaokuta and our refineries are 'chop money' projects for the thieves in power of every administration.
Re: Ajaokuta: Steel Workers Welcome Plan To Return Coy To Original Builder by SEGLIZ: 7:25am On Oct 04, 2019
Simplyleo:
O ye shildren of 8, anger and perdition, where art thou?

I call onto thee to once again cease this opportunity to insult the hell out of the leadership of the present administration.

Because verily verily, there lies the only consolation for stopping the cuming of athifku the thief who was to fling open the cbn vault thereby returning us to the era of stealing public funds in unimaginable magnitude.

Buhari has made the wrong call o, because those shildrenses 8 and many wailers would have @attack.
Re: Ajaokuta: Steel Workers Welcome Plan To Return Coy To Original Builder by luminouz(m): 7:29am On Oct 04, 2019
sulaak:

Why can't you understand English?

He said 'raw material in some industrial products' not a raw material in steel production?

Or steel is never needed before making some industrial products?

You're disappointing me this morning!!!

1 Like

Re: Ajaokuta: Steel Workers Welcome Plan To Return Coy To Original Builder by Nukilia: 7:32am On Oct 04, 2019
PoliticalWitch:
Well, let's hope it works.

I'm not too o[ptimiostic though. We have signed and signed pacts...and nothing has happened.

Then there is the issue that steel isn't the moneyspinner it should be. Cheap chinese steel is flodding the market. Not too long ago, South Africa's steel company was laying off workers.

Anyway, we shall see. IMHO....we should not have awarded the contract to the Russians in the first place back in the 1970's...just sayin.
if we did not give it to them, who would have done it for us? You failed to blame our incompetence, greed and criminality for the destruction of the steel company undecided
Re: Ajaokuta: Steel Workers Welcome Plan To Return Coy To Original Builder by sulaak(m): 7:33am On Oct 04, 2019
9jaRealist:

Hence the beneficiation process...
When it’s working properly, it’s CHEAPER than importation ($65 vs $89 per ton).
>

Low-grade iron ore will require more processing energy to refine the material into steel. Steel manufacturing is dependent on energy efficiency to work as a viable business, access to cheap electricity such as natural gas, followed by logistics (ports, rail, road and manufacturing hubs) provide added value.

Nigeria should focus on being higher up the industrial value chain, let Guinea Republic supply the good quality raw material, Nigeria will manufacturer the steel.
Re: Ajaokuta: Steel Workers Welcome Plan To Return Coy To Original Builder by 9jaRealist: 7:42am On Oct 04, 2019
sulaak:
Low-grade iron ore will require more processing energy to refine the material into steel. Steel manufacturing is dependent on energy efficiency to work as a viable business, access to cheap electricity such as natural gas, followed by logistics (ports, rail, road and manufacturing hubs) provide added value.

Nigeria should focus on being higher up the industrial value chain, let Guinea Republic supply the good quality raw material, Nigeria will manufacturer the steel.

Technology has made beneficiation an energy efficient process...

Nigeria initially invested in mines in Liberia and Guinea until they were depleted...
Then we started importing from Brazil, but beneficiation has since proven considerably CHEAPER.

Btw, there is a wide disparity in the quality of Nigerian iron ore (even in Itakpe)...
As the Australians discovered when they ventured into Nigeria, it ranges from 32%Fe up to 70%Fe.
>
Re: Ajaokuta: Steel Workers Welcome Plan To Return Coy To Original Builder by sulaak(m): 7:43am On Oct 04, 2019
luminouz:

Why can't you understand English?

He said 'raw material in some industrial products' not a raw material in steel production?

Or steel is never needed before making some industrial products?

You're disappointing me this morning!!!

Steel should not be used in the context of "raw material". Steel is an industrial product or component of industrial production.

Raw Material: the basic material from which a product is made.

Steel is an alloy of iron and carbon, and sometimes other elements. Because of its high tensile strength and low cost, it is a major [b]component [/b]used in buildings, infrastructure, tools, ships, automobiles, machines, appliances, and weapons.
Re: Ajaokuta: Steel Workers Welcome Plan To Return Coy To Original Builder by luminouz(m): 7:48am On Oct 04, 2019
sulaak:

Steel should not be used in the context of "raw material". Steel is an industrial product or component of industrial production.

shocked shocked

Are you for real?
Raw materials do not just include unprocessed stuffs but also the core requirement for the production of certain tech. That way I can say for petrochemical coys, the late stage products of crude oil refineries are raw materials. Without them,there is nothing like petrochemicals.
The word 'raw material' has evolved bro. Not just something mined or drilled!

1 Like

Re: Ajaokuta: Steel Workers Welcome Plan To Return Coy To Original Builder by niyidenrele: 7:59am On Oct 04, 2019
IamaNigerianGuy:
The USSR originally built the plant not Russia, and so much time has passed that it is doubtful whether the OEMs still exist or the technology is still viable.

Although in all fairness, the failure of Ajaokuta is not Bubus fault, I doubt if his primary school education, herdsman outlook and limited intellectual gifts are sufficient to solve this problem.
In fact, I can bet he is not up to the task.
..Oga ,all these don't matter ,even a well educated engineer will understand the technique behind the construction,no matter how long it has been built, inasmuch it was the same people,same company that did it ,they will surely have solutions to the problem.... everything,done now ,was results of building it on whatever did in the past ...if the Russian want to be truthful about it,they will tell you it's just a child's play
Re: Ajaokuta: Steel Workers Welcome Plan To Return Coy To Original Builder by sulaak(m): 8:11am On Oct 04, 2019
luminouz:

shocked shocked

Are you for real?
Raw materials do not just include unprocessed stuffs but also the core requirement for the production of certain tech. That way I can say for petrochemical coys, the late stage products of crude oil refineries are raw materials. Without them,there is nothing like petrochemicals.
The word 'raw material' has evolved bro. Not just something mined or drilled!

Use the correct terminology when discussing technology and manufacturing subjects.

Refined oil is an industrial product, crude oil is the raw material. The word "Raw Material" hasn't evolved beyond what it was created for. Please accept that you are wrong and move on.
Re: Ajaokuta: Steel Workers Welcome Plan To Return Coy To Original Builder by Nobody: 8:18am On Oct 04, 2019
Not sure it will make any difference. That plant is obsolete. From the 80s. The people who designed it are long dead and gone. This is sunk cost fallacy at its worst.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ajaokuta: Steel Workers Welcome Plan To Return Coy To Original Builder by Casdonpedro: 8:20am On Oct 04, 2019
FG should revisit the root cause of the problems that made the USSR (SOVIET UNION) to abandon Ajeokuta Steel Project and not playing Tribal Politics again.
The country is in turmoil because of this same Tribal Politics... Before the construction of Ajeokuta Steel Project.. The Russian Company did alot of Iron Ore purification testing across the nation and they found the Ore in Anambra State almost to be 75% - 80% pure, they were so happy to announced the result to the FG then to kick-start the Project but it was turned down only because its found in the Eastern Zone.. They rather told the Russians to build and carryon with the Ajeokuta Iron Ore that is barely 35% - 40% pure.
The Russians as Eastern Europe have zero tolerance to Rubbish after they started the project in Ajeokuta and found out the cost of production vis aviz purification and development of Iron ore of Ajeokuta to Steel level is almost a waste. They abandoned the project based on that.
Until Nigeria stop Tribal Politics.. The issues bordering us will never leave us.
Remember Dubai of today begged us Money and the answer was "nothing good comes out from Dessert" , that Dessert is the world tourist zone today. Visioned Leaders is all we seek and the nation will go in the right direction.
Before u throw shades, insults, and other Tribal negated banter, do ur research and ask the old people around you what happened then.. I am from Onitsha and the site for the research where the Russians carried out their Iron ore purification testing is not far from my home, funny thing some people bought lands there now knowing fully well its a Govt reserved project site. The area is Akpaka Trans Nkisi Onitsha

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ifeanyi Ubah Denies DSS Arrest / Gov Rochas Okorocha Denies Dumping APC / Imo Debacle - PDP’s Endless Hypocrisy And Blackmail

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.