Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,181,516 members, 7,914,368 topics. Date: Thursday, 08 August 2024 at 12:26 AM

New Grass To Reduce Methane Emissions From Animals - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / New Grass To Reduce Methane Emissions From Animals (178 Views)

I Never Knew That Lion's Also Eat Grass Till I Saw It With My Eyes. See Why / Grass Outgrows Benue State University (B.S.U) Due To Lockdown. / The Ten Deadliest Animals In Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

New Grass To Reduce Methane Emissions From Animals by samokibe: 12:16pm On Oct 07, 2019
The genetically modified ryegrass has been developed by the Crown Research Institute, AgResearch, at its grasslands center in Palmerston North.
Modelling has found it can grow up to 50% faster than conventional ryegrass, it is more resistant to drought and could reduce methane emissions from animals.

Trials are now progressing in the mid-west of the US, where genetically modified organisms can be field tested outside of the lab.
AgResearch's principal scientist, Greg Bryan, said, “at the moment it was focused on the breeding process, which involved choosing the best performing plants that would be used for future seed production”.

"The High Metabolizable Energy ryegrass has performed well in controlled growing conditions and I've recently returned from the United States where we are growing the plants in field trials in competition with one-another, just as they would in pasture and the plants are doing well," Greg Bryan said.
Dr. Bryan said the ultimate goal of the United States phase of the research was to conduct realistic, rather than simulated, animal nutrition studies.
This would allow AgResearch to evaluate whether the grass might have the potential environmental benefits such as...Click to read more

1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Admission / Free Videos 14 Properties Of A Thermometric Liquid Jamb Physics 2017 / Delta Attorney General Counsel Students Against Cultism, Drug Abuse And Other So

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.