Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,192,284 members, 7,947,348 topics. Date: Thursday, 12 September 2024 at 05:19 PM

Barack Obama Suffers Another Defeat As He Is Knocked Off Forbes Power Top Spot - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Barack Obama Suffers Another Defeat As He Is Knocked Off Forbes Power Top Spot (5096 Views)

Barack Obama's Presidency In Fascinating Photos By Pete Souza. / Saudi Prince Sues Forbes For Underestimating His Wealth / Brown Admits Defeat As Cameron Wins Final Leaders’ Debate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Barack Obama Suffers Another Defeat As He Is Knocked Off Forbes Power Top Spot by Nobody: 1:52pm On Nov 05, 2010

Hu Jintao, the Chinese president, has been named the most powerful person on Earth knocking Barack Obama off the top spot Photo: GETTY

The annual list, compiled by Forbes, the business magazine, places David Cameron, the British prime minister, at seven, behind Angela Merkel, the German chancellor in the list of 68.

Forbes explained that those on the list had been chosen “because, in various ways, they bend the world to their will”.

King Abdullah bin Abdul Aziz al Saud of Saudi Arabia came in third behind Mr Jintao and Mr Obama, while Vladimir Putin, the Russian prime minister was fourth, ahead of Dmitry Medvedev, who only came in at 12.

Pope Benedict XVI was in fifth place, while the rest of the top 10 was rounded off by Ben Bernanke, chairman of the Federal Reserve, Sonia Gandhi, the Indian president, and Bill Gates, the founder of Microsoft and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.

Mr Gates finished ahead of Steve Jobs, the CEO of Apple, who was in 17th place.

The list, another blow to the US president, cited his party’s poor performance in the midterm elections.

“Obama’s Democrats suffered a mighty blow in US midterm elections, with the president decisively losing support of the House of Representatives, and barely holding onto the Senate. It’s quite a comedown for last year’s most powerful person, who after enacting widespread reforms in his first two years in office will be hard-pressed to implement his agenda in the next two.”

Mr Obama’s wife, Michelle, was last month named Forbes Most Powerful Woman.

Of Mr Hu, Forbes wrote: “Unlike Western counterparts, Hu can divert rivers, build cities, jail dissidents and censor internet without meddling from pesky bureaucrats, courts. Recently surpassed Japan to become the world’s second-largest economy both in absolute and purchasing power terms. Credible estimates have China poised to overtake US as world’s largest economy in 25 years – although, crucially, not on a per-capita basis.”
Re: Barack Obama Suffers Another Defeat As He Is Knocked Off Forbes Power Top Spot by redsun(m): 1:02am On Nov 06, 2010
Obama is up against fire spitting dragons,steep deep in traditions,afraid of equitable changes.He shouldn't weaver,he should stand by what he believe in and keep his head up- Fairness.
Re: Barack Obama Suffers Another Defeat As He Is Knocked Off Forbes Power Top Spot by MaiSuya(m): 1:37am On Nov 06, 2010
So what position is Obama now exactly?
Re: Barack Obama Suffers Another Defeat As He Is Knocked Off Forbes Power Top Spot by Blazay(m): 9:12am On Nov 06, 2010
Well.
He is from Kenya, Africa.
What do you expect?
An African in the White House?
Bad combination.
Re: Barack Obama Suffers Another Defeat As He Is Knocked Off Forbes Power Top Spot by ElRazur: 9:55am On Nov 06, 2010
The forbes list is flawed. Period.

It is based on perception rather than what can be measured. For example, one of the criteria is how much these people can influence the world. I am not an obama-arse kisser but Jesus, I really think Obama carries more influence in the world than the president of China. But then, unlike forbes I do not have a magazine to do my own rating so it will just be an opinion.

The list do not mean anything, but may swerve opinion of people in an unfair way.
Re: Barack Obama Suffers Another Defeat As He Is Knocked Off Forbes Power Top Spot by oyinda3(f): 10:04am On Nov 06, 2010

The list, another blow to the US president, cited his party’s poor performance in the midterm elections.

so winning the midterm elections would make him more powerful than the chinese president?
haha what a joke

and i don't know what they mean by "bending the world to their will" obama never bent anybody to his will. people were just crazy obsessed with him on their own will for some reason. i never understood the obsession. the guy got a nobel prize for doing what? and now, the obsession/lust is fading away naturally as it should.
Re: Barack Obama Suffers Another Defeat As He Is Knocked Off Forbes Power Top Spot by shotster50(m): 3:26am On Nov 08, 2010
Yea, wow! That really hurt him.
Re: Barack Obama Suffers Another Defeat As He Is Knocked Off Forbes Power Top Spot by Blazay(m): 12:01pm On Nov 08, 2010
ElRazur:

The forbes list is flawed. Period.

It is based on perception rather than what can be measured. For example, one of the criteria is how much these people can influence the world. I am not an obama-arse kisser but Jesus, I really think Obama carries more influence in the world than the president of China. But then, unlike forbes I do not have a magazine to do my own rating so it will just be an opinion.

The list do not mean anything, but may swerve opinion of people in an unfair way.

You can't speak for 'people'.
Just speak for yourself only.
Re: Barack Obama Suffers Another Defeat As He Is Knocked Off Forbes Power Top Spot by ElRazur: 7:42pm On Nov 08, 2010
Blazay:

You can't speak for 'people'.
Just speak for yourself only.

Don't be daft. I am saying media can give people a wrong perception and hence sway or influence their views/opinion.
Re: Barack Obama Suffers Another Defeat As He Is Knocked Off Forbes Power Top Spot by Ikomi(m): 12:41pm On Nov 09, 2010
ElRazur:

Don't be daft. I am saying media can give people a wrong perception and hence sway or influence their views/opinion.

The same media you were willing to die for to proof what they say even though you have no well grounded knowledge of the issues you argue about.

Thats in the case of Almadin, if you get my drift. cheesy

Double tongues, by their words you shall know them. grin
Re: Barack Obama Suffers Another Defeat As He Is Knocked Off Forbes Power Top Spot by ElRazur: 3:59pm On Nov 09, 2010
Ikomi, my argument with you as per Ahmadenajad was that he denied the Holocaust. This is a fact, anyone with half a brain knows this. To say otherwise is just not true. The media do not make up this denial. He was filmed and on record deny the holocaust. Period.

Be my guest if you want to go through this again. But we all know, as usual you won't have anything worthy to add than to beat around the bush without providing further any valid proof.
Re: Barack Obama Suffers Another Defeat As He Is Knocked Off Forbes Power Top Spot by ElRazur: 4:22pm On Nov 09, 2010
Re: Barack Obama Suffers Another Defeat As He Is Knocked Off Forbes Power Top Spot by Ikomi(m): 5:36pm On Nov 09, 2010
ElRazur:

Ikomi, my argument with you as per Ahmadenajad was that he denied the Holocaust. This is a fact, anyone with half a brain knows this. To say otherwise is just not true. The media do not make up this denial. He was filmed and on record deny the holocaust. Period.

Be my guest if you want to go through this again. But we all know, as usual you won't have anything worthy to add than to beat around the bush without providing further any valid proof.

ElRazur:

Unfortunately I don't have the time to go on a merry go round with a double tongued, cheap steak. cheesy
Re: Barack Obama Suffers Another Defeat As He Is Knocked Off Forbes Power Top Spot by ElRazur: 6:10pm On Nov 09, 2010
As usual you bark and have no bite. Who are you fooling?

I was hoping you will be bold enough to back up your claims but then this is you we are talking about.

My opinion in this thread is that the ratings of who is the most influential is based on things that are very subjective. On the other hand Ahmadenajad is on record denying the holocaust. So the media merely reported and printed what he (ahamadenajahd) said.

If you cannot differentiate between these, then it is best to keep your arguments to yourself, as any attempt to push them (your silly claims) across as fact will lead to your views getting countered with facts. Period.

I honestly do not expect you to pick up the challenge as you are clearly misguided with your views and claims.
Re: Barack Obama Suffers Another Defeat As He Is Knocked Off Forbes Power Top Spot by Blazay(m): 10:54am On Nov 10, 2010
Ikomi:

Unfortunately I don't have the time to go on a merry go round with a double tongued, cheap steak. cheesy

He must be a Yoruba man.
Never with an independent mind.
Always looking for some form of validation from others or trying to be the people's mouth piece.
Tsk.
Re: Barack Obama Suffers Another Defeat As He Is Knocked Off Forbes Power Top Spot by Blazay(m): 10:59am On Nov 10, 2010
Ikomi:

The same media you were willing to die for to proof what they say even though you have no well grounded knowledge of the issues you argue about.Thats in the case of Almadin, if you get my drift. cheesy

Double tongues, by their words you shall know them. grin

Well, why am I not surprised.
Re: Barack Obama Suffers Another Defeat As He Is Knocked Off Forbes Power Top Spot by Blazay(m): 11:01am On Nov 10, 2010
ElRazur:

People have the right to form their own opinions.
Even if it a wrong perception, it is still their's.
Great wonder you can spell the word 'daft'.
Bravo.
Re: Barack Obama Suffers Another Defeat As He Is Knocked Off Forbes Power Top Spot by ElRazur: 11:24am On Nov 10, 2010
Blazay:

He must be a Yoruba man.
Never with an independent mind.
Always looking for some form of validation from others or trying to be the people's mouth piece.
Tsk.

Drivel and irrelevant.

Birds of the same feather, flock together. undecided

Blazay:

People have the right to form their own opinions.
Even if it a wrong perception, it is still their's.
Great wonder you can spell the word 'daft'.
Bravo.

Again you are just being daft to the nth degree. Who says people do not have the right to form their own opinions? Off course people do.

Whether right or wrong perception is not the point. The point is Media can influence people's view. (One of the many reason people like Rupert Murdoch was denied a take over of other tv station etc I am guessing this name means nothing to you. undecided)

How hard is it to understand that media can be influential in the manner in which a report about something or someone is printed? Smh.
Re: Barack Obama Suffers Another Defeat As He Is Knocked Off Forbes Power Top Spot by Blazay(m): 1:15pm On Nov 10, 2010
ElRazur:

Drivel and irrelevant.

Birds of the same feather, flock together. undecided

Again you are just being daft to the nth degree. Who says people do not have the right to form their own opinions? Off course people do.

Whether right or wrong perception is not the point. The point is Media can influence people's view. (One of the many reason people like Rupert Murdoch was denied a take over of other tv station etc I am guessing this name means nothing to you. undecided)

How hard is it to understand that media can be influential in the manner in which a report about something or someone is printed? Smh.

Mu-mu!
Give it up.
That is what the media is for.
Shaping minds, any which way. Personal choice.
Mind your's
How do you shape your's?
With divine inspiration? Or your Babalawo's incantations?
Re: Barack Obama Suffers Another Defeat As He Is Knocked Off Forbes Power Top Spot by Ikomi(m): 1:46pm On Nov 10, 2010
@Elrazur

Your lack of principle is so obvious.

Answer these questions please:

1. Have you met Almadin before?

2. What and who shaped your opinion about him?

3. Then finally how come the media in your statement and I quote:
ElRazur:

Elrazur your a joke. grin
Re: Barack Obama Suffers Another Defeat As He Is Knocked Off Forbes Power Top Spot by ElRazur: 2:38pm On Nov 10, 2010
Blazay:

Mu-mu!
Give it up.
That is what the media is for.
Shaping minds, any which way. Personal choice.
Mind your's
How do you shape your's?
With divine inspiration? Or your Babalawo's incantations?

You really are coming across as daft.

Why do you think on-going court cases are never published in newsprint?  Simple, the Jury are hand picked from the public and allowing the media to run the story on evidences and what not may have a bad out come for the case at hand.

If the court can use this simple principle, I think my job here is done.

Smh.

Ikomi:

@Elrazur

Your lack of principle is so obvious.

Answer these questions please:

Elrazur your a joke.  grin

Ikomi, I will enjoy this.

Ahamadenajad was on record saying these things. Only a man who picks to ignore them or distort fact will claim he never did.

If you really wanna talk about him, please come to the special thread made just for the matter.

Sorry, but leading questions are just that, leading.
Re: Barack Obama Suffers Another Defeat As He Is Knocked Off Forbes Power Top Spot by Ikomi(m): 4:01pm On Nov 10, 2010
ElRazur:

Ikomi, I will enjoy this.

Sorry dear friend, I dont enjoy wasting time. cheesy

All you can do for me is this:

Answer these questions, I have asked you same questions before, it might help clarify or should I say demystify your position on issues.

That could be a yes or no answer, if you do not choose to give a complicated answer as you always do.

Well I could give you options to choose from. cheesy

A. Media

B. Media

C. Media

ElRazur:

Am sure you can explain away question number 3, am just asking you to share your view of the media based on your own statement.

Maybe I should add question number 4.

4. Elrazur do you think you are a joke? angry

Elrazur have a wonderful day
Re: Barack Obama Suffers Another Defeat As He Is Knocked Off Forbes Power Top Spot by ElRazur: 4:35pm On Nov 10, 2010
Read my post again.

You keep claiming you have no time, yet come back for some more.  shocked

British Empire was on record for colonizing sections of Nigeria, now someone comes out and denounce all these proofs that have been collected over the years and claimed it was all a fabrication.   shocked You sir, is that someone!
Re: Barack Obama Suffers Another Defeat As He Is Knocked Off Forbes Power Top Spot by Ikomi(m): 1:54pm On Nov 11, 2010
@Elrazur
Everlasting shame on u. cheesy
LOL
You could not even answer 4 simple questions and still u want to engage me in a discussion you have little or no knowledge about.
Elrazur av been following international politics even before you learnt to say your first words like: mama, papa, baba, dada, .
Whatever first came out of those little mouth of yours. wink
Re: Barack Obama Suffers Another Defeat As He Is Knocked Off Forbes Power Top Spot by ElRazur: 10:16am On Nov 12, 2010
Ikomi:

@Elrazur
Everlasting shame on u. cheesy
LOL
You could not even answer 4 simple questions and still u want to engage me in a discussion you have little or no knowledge about.
Elrazur av been following international politics even before you learnt to say your first words like: mama, papa, baba, dada, .
Whatever first came out of those little mouth of yours. wink

Ikomi,

In most of the debate I have with you, you seem to have a habit of proclaiming this greatness of your intelligence and how you trounce anyone who dare have a view different from yours. Here is a bit of thought - Please let your post do the talking and let this so called intelligence or Grand knowledge that you boast of show in your post, as oppose to you just talking about it when it is severely or almost non-existent in your post. Just a thought.

No offence, but half of the time you evade the point at hand, cannot reason enough to see the bigger picture or even put together a paragraph with much substance in it.

Let me start all over again and point out all the flaws in your so called view points. My original point made mention of how opinions can be swayed by the media. This is a known phenomenon and I have given example to the effect.

Now as per Ahmadenjahd, he was on record saying those things. This, you just cannot seem to grasp together in your little mind. Let me make things very simple for you as you appear to exhibit the characteristics of a simpleton ikomi.

1+1 you see, equals 2.

This is a universal fact and cannot be disputed.

Get it? Once you apply this simple, everything else falls into place.

Now as a recap, Ahmadenajad was on record denying the holocaust. That makes it a fact.

Are you still with me Ikomi? Hold on, this won't take long.

As we now know this is a fact, it do not matter what your type says. Facts cannot be changed. Period.

Take a 5 mins. break because I am about to answer your leading questions once and for all. No, seriously, go and take a break as you have the attention span of a fruit fly. Now, go.

Answer these questions, I have asked you same questions before, it might help clarify or should I say demystify your position on issues.

That could be a yes or no answer, if you do not choose to give a complicated answer as you always do.

Now that you are back, let's put this to bed once and for all.

Have I met almadin before? The price of ogogoro in Lokoja and the price of suicide vest in west bank have no correlation at all. Conversely you failed to realise that you have not met him either, but you come across like you defend him on this forums.

It is even more disturbing that you idolise him and hence your views are some how tainted by your feeling towards him. (All anyone need to do is to read back your various garbage you have posted in his defence)

As per your second question, I have no opinion of the man in the sense you are asking. I do however hear him speak in live broadcast (UN meetings) and he appears to come across like he's got very little to say. So my opinion are based on what I have heard from him and quotes that are attributed to him and never disputed etc.

Again, this question highlights your lack of objectivity. You assumed I have a shaped opinion of your man in a possible negative or biased way simply because I pointed out that he denied the holocaust. You may have had a point if it wasn't true and all made up.
As the truth stand and as fact goes, he did denied the holocaust but you lack the guts to admit he did and will rather pursue this line of madness that you present all the time.

Finally, your supposed "third question" was never a question. You see, this is what I mean by you claiming to be the all-knowing-intelligent dude and yet your post do not even show an ounce of it. Sorry, I cannot help you.

PS
I am gonna go out of my way and make a prediction as follow:

You will find it hard to come up with something meaningful.

Play straw-man.

Miss the point and then post more irrelevant points.

Claim to be the Einstein of Nairaland and declare you have little time.

When all of the above fail. Take a long exile leave and wait for the right thread to come up before you bring up this issue again.

Denounce all proofs that he denied the holocaust etc.

Please prove me wrong.
Re: Barack Obama Suffers Another Defeat As He Is Knocked Off Forbes Power Top Spot by Ikomi(m): 12:04pm On Nov 12, 2010
@Elrazur

To be honest with you I did not read your post.  cheesy

Its too long and most probably useless. I said it before:

Ikomi:

Sorry dear friend, I dont enjoy wasting time.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ if you do not choose to give a complicated answer as you always do.
Re: Barack Obama Suffers Another Defeat As He Is Knocked Off Forbes Power Top Spot by ElRazur: 12:11pm On Nov 12, 2010
Ikomi:

@Elrazur

To be honest with you I did not read your post.  cheesy

Its too long and most probably useless. I said it before:

I said it before, and thanks for validating my points. (The validated ones are in bold)

PS
I am gonna go out of my way and make a prediction as follow:

You will find it hard to come up with something meaningful.

Play straw-man.

Miss the point and then post more irrelevant points.

Claim to be the Einstein of Nairaland and declare you have little time.

When all of the above fail. Take a long exile leave and wait for the right thread to come up before you bring up this issue again.

Denounce all proofs that he denied the holocaust etc.

Please prove me wrong.

I rest my case.
Re: Barack Obama Suffers Another Defeat As He Is Knocked Off Forbes Power Top Spot by Ikomi(m): 1:08pm On Nov 12, 2010
ElRazur:

I rest my case.

Thanks for resting it, the case is highly irrelivant and will do no one no good. cheesy
Re: Barack Obama Suffers Another Defeat As He Is Knocked Off Forbes Power Top Spot by vedaxcool(m): 3:54pm On Nov 12, 2010
^^^^^

Lol1 grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Barack Obama Suffers Another Defeat As He Is Knocked Off Forbes Power Top Spot by Beaf: 5:36pm On Nov 12, 2010
Since America is declining, it is only certain that the position of most influential person would go to the leader of the most influential country.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Inside Iranian Factory Where U.S. And U.K. Flags Are Made For Burning(Pics) / Was Cap28 Deported From America? He Fonts Like A Repatriated Nigerian / Hockey Players: Sarah Palin For President!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.