Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,906 members, 7,883,158 topics. Date: Monday, 08 July 2024 at 03:24 AM

. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / . (1806 Views)

Whose House Would You Live In After Wedding? (Pictured) / Woman Flogged By Her Husband, Flees With Her Children (Photos) / Man Pictured Gropping His Wife's Butt Infront Of A Catholic Church (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

. by Wigetsolar: 6:47pm On Oct 10, 2019
If you are a late 70's kid or 80's to 90's kid, you must know the lamp, popularly called "lantern". After the era of bush lamps, " lantern" lit up homes, since power supply is epileptic in this part of the world or nonexistent in rural areas.

It happened that towards the evenings, say before 6pm, it is the duty of children to clean up it's "gloves" which is made of glass, before putting it on as the day get darker.

If you aren't careful, before you remove it from its housing, so that you can remove soot inside the lamp frame and clean the glass glove, it can get broken. This attracts slaps, "konks" (okpo-Ibo language), strokes of the cane and so on.
grin

Today, rechargeable torches, solar powered lights and so on is phasing out the lantern.

Share your experience.

Cc: lalasticlacla, mynd44, Ishilove, dominique, Seun

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: . by ahnie: 6:51pm On Oct 10, 2019
I still use it till date in my home...my husband does not joke with it.

My son cracked the globe some days ago...but old soldier never dies.

Lolz!
Re: . by Wigetsolar: 6:55pm On Oct 10, 2019
grin grin
NwaAmaikpe,

Sometimes, the soot de hard to clean sef.

You fit clean am come carry black face de waka unknowingly grin

check my siggy jare

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: . by donstan18: 6:56pm On Oct 10, 2019
That glass had more values in our various homes then than these modern days Iphones

3 Likes

Re: . by Stephenomozzy(m): 6:56pm On Oct 10, 2019
Haha.

Breaking this was a case of knowing your fate. Just help yourself and hide the canes you know can break your morale for a week.

Do well to keep only feeble canes in plain sight to avoid receiving "Reseting Knocks"
Re: . by ijomaSN(f): 7:06pm On Oct 10, 2019
I remember dis
Re: . by majamajic(m): 7:13pm On Oct 10, 2019
every 6pm na to wash this Glass

I broke about 5 or more

I don't think this Glass reach 20 naira then , but I received beating of 2k each time

touch it Omo water , it will start running like testicle

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: . by donbachi(m): 7:14pm On Oct 10, 2019
most of us that are careful today...got it from this.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: . by ATTITUDE2: 7:30pm On Oct 10, 2019
perhaps am the only one havent broke any...

What is even more strange is seeing peeps still using lantern and candles in the ear of rechargable lanterns.

4 Likes

Re: . by sisisioge: 7:32pm On Oct 10, 2019
grin grin grin grin angry grin grin

That dreadful alakoba. I haven't seen it in ages! How time flies.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: . by Blackbug: 7:36pm On Oct 10, 2019
I hated to wash this thing and basically, that was my job every evening....to was lantern bulb. grin
Re: . by Fountainofyouth(f): 7:42pm On Oct 10, 2019
donbachi:
most of us that are careful today...got it from this.

True talk.

1 Like

Re: . by ATTITUDE2: 7:45pm On Oct 10, 2019
perhaps am the only one who havent broke any...

What is even more strange is seeing peeps still using lantern and candles in the ear of rechargable lanterns.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: . by Nmezor(f): 8:20pm On Oct 10, 2019
I so hated washing it...the soot no be here
Re: . by Opportuneke(m): 8:24pm On Oct 10, 2019
Once you break this shade...

Just remember Jesus last statement on the cross ""It is finished""

hmmm, only God can decide your destiny in that house... You will definitely suffer like a market thief....

2 Shares

Re: . by mamajj17(f): 8:48pm On Oct 10, 2019
Wow, thanks for this Memory dear grin grin grin, l almost forgotten!
Re: . by anayolity: 11:12pm On Oct 10, 2019
There were days I used to think I was adopted because of the kind beating I dey chop for breaking this nonsense!!

3 Likes

Re: . by shitshappen(m): 12:12am On Oct 11, 2019
Fling ii too fast, it will slide​ of your hand. Try putting all your fingers inside as you wash it ,it will breakout. Hit it slightly on any hard surface it will break. And because it's transparent you will mistakenly kick it or step on it even though you're still the one that placed it on the floor few minutes ago.

Eventually they stop sending me to wash it, and they sound alarm whenever​ it's in my immediate surrounding.

6 Likes

Re: . by ifyalways(f): 5:51am On Oct 11, 2019
LMAO @ the replies cheesy

1 Like

Re: . by LadySarah: 9:36pm On Oct 11, 2019
Anybody that successfully washed it without breaking it should serve as. PMB's media aide.Both are related cos you need so much carefulness,patience and smartness. grin grin

It dread being called to wash it
Re: . by armyofone(m): 9:58pm On Oct 11, 2019
You mistakenly break one small part. You do minor surgery by using paper to hold it and put that side by your bed only for smoke and fiam fire!!
Mama be like so you don broke am again ?
Re: . by baby124: 12:18am On Oct 12, 2019
Sorry, can’t relate. What is this bulb for? Or .

Edited:
It’s a lantern glass thing... oh ok! *Shakes my butty yansh out of thread* ... never experienced this item and I am seeing it for the first time shocked
Re: . by 24kmagic: 7:37am On Oct 12, 2019
Hahaha

Good old days.

But where Una de go bring out these things from sef?
Re: . by Nobody: 10:26am On Oct 12, 2019
cheesy cheesy

Some families still use this. No, families in the rural areas still use this.

There is that open flame thing called mpanaka. Grannies use that a lot. Then there is that concotion formed from palm fruit. Infact, many ways to lit up the house.

1 Like

Re: . by Pavore9: 5:32pm On Oct 12, 2019
Not beaten but verbally bashed severally! cheesy
Re: . by Wigetsolar: 6:41am On Oct 17, 2019
armyofone:
You mistakenly break one small part. You do minor surgery by using paper to hold it and put that side by your bed only for smoke and fiam fire!!
Mama be like so you don broke am again ?

grin
Re: . by Nobody: 10:20am On Oct 17, 2019
Washing it while it was still hot turned out to be a disaster on its own. I think that made it crack.

With time I got to realise our parents bought the knockoff globes. EMEL had one of the best lantern products then.

(1) (Reply)

Is She Truly Pregnant? PICTURES ATTACHED / True Life Story. What Will You Do? / Should I Confront Her?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.