Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,781 members, 7,886,082 topics. Date: Wednesday, 10 July 2024 at 09:35 PM

This GEJ Sef: To Invest $200 Million In Film Industry? - TV/Movies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / This GEJ Sef: To Invest $200 Million In Film Industry? (5530 Views)

Igbo, Yoruba Rivalry Killing Our Film Industry – Adenuga / The Wild Wild East- The Brigandry In The Eastern Nigeria Film Industry / The History Of Nollywood: Nigeria's Mega Film Industry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: This GEJ Sef: To Invest $200 Million In Film Industry? by Muza(m): 4:00pm On Nov 08, 2010
Oyb,u cracked up,i'm still LMAO.But i must agree with you,you said the bitter plain truth and you have given the best anology possible.
I dont know why some ppl dont see any thing wrong in GEJ badlucks move,are they being deliberately mischevious or they are just damn D.A.F.T.
No pun intended, lol
Thanx.
Re: This GEJ Sef: To Invest $200 Million In Film Industry? by Nobody: 4:08pm On Nov 08, 2010
i didn't want to post any comment here,i found out that a lot of commentators here are just so emotional and tends to be very subjective when they post a comment either.i honestly don't see anything wrong with those asking for the rational behind the presidents donation in what ever nomenclature,either grant or loan or whatever.my take on this issue is,if the president will buy 3presidential flight at ago without legislation/appropriation,purchase of waste bins from Uk for Abuja without legislation/appropriation,increment on the salary of the 3tiers of government without legislation/appropriation and most recent $200million for the entertainment industry without legislation/appropriation all these in record time then why cant the same measure be employed to commence the payment of the minimum wage structure which he did announced to workers on workers day 5months ago after negotiation with NLC and the organize private sector,why reneging to implement that now,he is now subjecting it to legislation and 5months was not enough for FG to send the bill to the Thieving national house. if FG  can roll out money to some states that were recently flooded with water without appropriation/legislation,y is it so difficult now for FG to mediate between ASUU at state level and the Governors for over 4months now that they have been on strike or is there a state in NIGERIA called FG states,i thought FG should be responsible for all and owe us all a duty of care irrespective of which state one is domicile. whats wrong with allocating funds for the massive construction of that death trap called BENIN-ORE RD, since funds have been appropriated for the construction of that road for over 10 yrs now,y has the contractor not been held responsible.
IMO i believe our leaders are not getting there priorities right and any attempt to defend their lapses all because of our subjective nature will continue to spell doom for us all. im not campaigning for any1 neither im i their fan,all im saying is that we should always endeavor to be rational in all we do,i guess if we should address our immediate and basic needs in this country subsequently we can now start addressing other sector.addressing our social needs now as against our basic needs as a country for me is a misnomer.
my candid opinion though. GOD BLESS NIGERIA
Re: This GEJ Sef: To Invest $200 Million In Film Industry? by Beaf: 4:26pm On Nov 08, 2010
byrron:

i didn't want to post any comment here,i found out that a lot of commentators here are just so emotional and tends to be very subjective when they post a comment either.i honestly don't see anything wrong with those asking for the rational behind the presidents donation in what ever nomenclature,either grant or loan or whatever.my take on this issue is,if the president will buy 3presidential flight at ago without legislation/appropriation,purchase of waste bins from Uk for Abuja without legislation/appropriation,increment on the salary of the 3tiers of government without legislation/appropriation and most recent $200million for the entertainment industry without legislation/appropriation all these in record time then why cant the same measure be employed to commence the payment of the minimum wage structure which he did announced to workers on workers day 5months ago after negotiation with NLC and the organize private sector,why reneging to implement that now,he is now subjecting it to legislation and 5months was not enough for FG to send the bill to the Thieving national house. if FG  can roll out money to some states that were recently flooded with water without appropriation/legislation,y is it so difficult now for FG to mediate between ASUU at state level and the Governors for over 4months now that they have been on strike or is there a state in NIGERIA called FG states,i thought FG should be responsible for all and owe us all a duty of care irrespective of which state one is domicile. whats wrong with allocating funds for the massive construction of that death trap called BENIN-ORE RD, since funds have been appropriated for the construction of that road for over 10 yrs now,y has the contractor not been held responsible.
IMO i believe our leaders are not getting there priorities right and any attempt to defend their lapses all because of our subjective nature will continue to spell doom for us all. im not campaigning for any1 neither im i their fan,all im saying is that we should always endeavor to be rational in all we do,i guess if we should address our immediate and basic needs in this country subsequently we can now start addressing other sector.addressing our social needs now as against our basic needs as a country for me is a misnomer.
my candid opinion though. GOD BLESS NIGERIA

What a load of tosh! shocked

Blaming GEJ for the decision by the FCT to source its bins from abroad is as ridiculous as blaming GEJ if your state governor was to do the same thing. It is not the FG's business.
How can people who are ignorant of the most basic things in Nigeria think they are fit to condemn based on their ignorance? Beats me!

Almost every single letter of what you've written is either blatantly ignorant or a plain lie. Your comments will be welcome when you have learnt the basics of Nigeria so that you aren't in confusion between FCT and FG.

I can almost die of laughter here! Some NLers actually think GEJ buys bins for the FCT! Damn!
Re: This GEJ Sef: To Invest $200 Million In Film Industry? by Muza(m): 4:28pm On Nov 08, 2010
@byrron,
I doff my hat 4 u,GOD bless u as u continue to enlighten those selfish and mischevious Nigerians that have allowed ethniticy and bigotry cloud their sense of reasoning and judgement.
Re: This GEJ Sef: To Invest $200 Million In Film Industry? by Nobody: 4:45pm On Nov 08, 2010
Beaf:

What a load of tosh! shocked

Blaming GEJ for the decision by the FCT to source its bins from abroad is as ridiculous as blaming GEJ if your state governor was to do the same thing. It is not the FG's business.
How can people who are ignorant of the most basic things in Nigeria think they are fit to condemn based on their ignorance? Beats me!

Almost every single letter of what you've written is either blatantly ignorant or a plain lie. Your comments will be welcome when you have learnt the basics of Nigeria so that you aren't in confusion between FCT and FG.

I can almost die of laughter here! Some NLers actually think GEJ buys bins for the FCT! Damn!

our dubious hypocrite, after 3 months has finally found his voice on the subject of the bins, and like his master, has promptly shot himself in the foot

http://tribune.com.ng/index.php/news/11458-fec-approves-n927m-for-fct-waste-bins-

The Federal Government, on Wednesday, approved the purchase of 60,000 units of British Waste Bins at N927,600,000, to maintain a clean and healthy environment in Abuja.

The Minister of Information and Communications, Professor Dora Akunyili, made this known to State House correspondents in Abuja after the weekly Federal Executive Council meeting, presided over by Vice-Presideant Namadi Sambo.

She said the bins would contain the volume of waste being generated in the Federal Capital Territory.

Akunyili said that the council approved the purchase of the waste bins because the major challenge confronting the FCT Administration in waste management was inadequate waste receptacles in the city.

“Studies have shown that locally-produced plastic waste bins are very low in quality and not compatible with the lifting devices of the waste compacting trucks.

“The previous efforts by the board to address these problems did not yield the desired result.

“In order to maintain a clean and healthy environment in FCT, the council approved the award of contract for the supply of 60,000 units of 240-litre plastic British bins in the sum of N927,600,000,” she said.

The minister said that the waste bins would be distributed to the residents of FCT, while the cost would be recovered within a period of two years through waste bills.

Akunyili said that there was a budgetary provision of N1.1 billion in the FCT 2010 budget for the project.

She also said that the council also approved N455 million for the procurement of additional waste disposal equipment, D7R Series II track bulldozer and Pay-Loader for the FCT.

According to her, the equipment include a landfill compactor, a wheel-loader and steer loader.

Akunyili said that the council approved additional N1.95 billion for the completion of the new headquarters complex of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Abuja.

She explained that the additional cost came due to “inevitable changes that further enhanced the quality and standard of the building.”

Akunyili maintained that N4.7 billion had been appropriated in the 2010 amendment appropriation, including the augmentation amount of N1.95 billion.

i wonder who presides over the fec?

and we have a dunce equating abuja which has n governor with other states?

this from someone who was always whining about how 'nd resources' are used to beautify abuja cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

are there no depths to hypocrisy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: This GEJ Sef: To Invest $200 Million In Film Industry? by Muza(m): 4:54pm On Nov 08, 2010
@beef or wateva u call urself,
from ur last post i hav concluded dat u ar just a sycophantdat will never see anythin wrong in GEJ,you cudnt defend a single thing that byrron said even when u know deep down with u that all he said was on point.
I must say you are groosly mis-informed,you are no even abreast wit some issues u bring up.The decision to buy those bins was taken at the weekly FEC meeting,i know you might not know so let ma also allow you go figure out who is the chairman of FEC.
Some people have eyes but they cannot see, wat a pity.
Re: This GEJ Sef: To Invest $200 Million In Film Industry? by Beaf: 5:00pm On Nov 08, 2010
^
Ignorance on display in all its unpalatable ugliness. cry cry cry cry cry cry

oyb:

our dubious hypocrite, after 3 months has finally found his voice on the subject of the bins, and like his master, has promptly shot himself in the foot

http://tribune.com.ng/index.php/news/11458-fec-approves-n927m-for-fct-waste-bins-

i wonder who presides over the fec?

and we have a dunce equating abuja which has n governor with other states?

this from someone who was always whining about how 'nd resources' are used to beautify abuja cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

are there no depths to hypocrisy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Just like your owner governor, Saraki goes to Abuja with his budget, so the FCT minister went with his. Is that difficult to comprehend? Mugu.
As your owner governor, Saraki does his own feasibility studies and planning, so does the FCT minister.
Just as FG approves money for your owner, so it does for the FCT minister. Thats easy enough to understand I would think.
Re: This GEJ Sef: To Invest $200 Million In Film Industry? by monkeyleg: 5:04pm On Nov 08, 2010
Una see Beaf once again. U no dey tire, abi truth no dey enter that your head. You would rather lick-ass, than see the truth.
Re: This GEJ Sef: To Invest $200 Million In Film Industry? by Nobody: 5:08pm On Nov 08, 2010
Beaf:

^
Ignorance on display in all its unpalatable ugliness. cry cry cry cry cry cry

Just like your owner governor, Saraki goes to Abuja with his budget, so the FCT minister went with his. Is that difficult to comprehend? Mugu.
As your owner governor, Saraki does his own feasibility studies and planning, so does the FCT minister.
Just as FG approves money for your owner, so it does for the FCT minister. Thats easy enough to understand I would think.

olodo

can you not read?

where is the fct ministers name in the article?  

feasibility study cheesy cheesy ode. did you not read those threads

or should i post those pics of the made in nigeria dustbins being used in vgc

pathetic hypocrite - as long as you are from my region, you can do no wrong - people like you are the reason nigeria is failing

i hope you follow saint gej's lead and blow your money on home videos rather than school books for your kids

in any event, you reasoning has repeatedly been proved to be subpar with those of our musicians, so why should i be surprised
Re: This GEJ Sef: To Invest $200 Million In Film Industry? by Beaf: 5:13pm On Nov 08, 2010
oyb:

olodo

can you not read?

pathetic hypocrite - as long as you are from my region, you can do no wrong - people like you are the reason nigeria is failing

i hope you follow saint gej's lead and blow your money on home videos rather than school books for your kids

in any event, you reasoning has repeatedly been proved to be subpar with those of our musicians, so why should i be surprised

Interesting that you think that is the only article in the World with the news. Interesting, but not surprising! There are several more detailed articles and sources of info than what you posted. It shouldn't be too difficult to seek them out.

If you wish to post VGC bins, its your call. I'm sure you wouldn't understand why it would just seem really whacky to normal people who are debating whether the entertainment industry is a worthy non-oil sector for govt to have set aside a $200million loan fund.
Re: This GEJ Sef: To Invest $200 Million In Film Industry? by Nobody: 5:22pm On Nov 08, 2010
Beaf:

Interesting that you think that is the only article in the World with the news. Interesting, but not surprising! There are several more detailed articles and sources of info than what you posted. It shouldn't be too difficult to seek them out.

If you wish to post VGC bins, its your call. I'm sure you wouldn't understand why it would just seem really whacky to normal people who are debating whether the entertainment industry is a worthy non-oil sector for govt to have set aside a $200million loan fund.

beaf, the glutton for humiliation

are you saying tribune is not a reliable publication when it is not doing what you do best, blow gej's nuts cheesy cheesy cheesy

oya try this one

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Opinion/5623714-182/expensive_rubbish____.csp

Expensive rubbish

Cheta Nwanze

September 26, 2010 11:18PMT

I know that I complain a lot, which is the reason I’ve tried to keep quiet recently. But something happened on Wednesday that bears complaining about. You see, on that day, the Federal Executive Council approved the sum of N972 600 000 for the purchase of 60 000 waste bins from the United Kingdom. The purpose of the importation of these waste bins is to ‘maintain a clean environment in Abuja’.

This bumper purchase was made known to the nation by Dora Akunyili, our formerly loveable Information Minister. In all honesty, were I Aunty Dora, I’d rather have resigned than make that announcement to Nigerians! But then again, there is this little problem of the divide between Nigeria’s elite and the rest of us, so in Aunty Dora’s defence, it is more than likely that she thinks she’s doing us a favour by purchasing those bins from Jand at those prices.

The very first question that arises here is why does the FEC, the Nigerian Cabinet (!) have to get involved in something as mundane as the purchase of rubbish bins? Are we a Banana Republic (no, we are a Plantain Republic)? What is the point of having an Abuja Municipal Council if Aso Rock keeps butting into their business?

The next question that arises, and probably the scariest one is why our own dearly beloved FG is taking such a large sum out of our own purse and transferring it to Britain. For the sake of clarity, I admit that Nigerian artisans are not the best (that is an argument for another day), but for crying out loud, it cannot possibly be so difficult to manufacture a dustbin! Okay, okay, okay, the British variety have wheels on them, but hang on, wheels aren’t difficult to make either!

The third question, which is closely related to the second, is that ofemployment. I know that assumption is the mother of all , (insert expletive here), but at the end of the day, it is safe to assume that if a huge government contract comes to a Nigerian company for the provision of 60 000 waste-bins, many of our teeming youth, like the kind I saw playing snooker at Ikeja this morning, would be taken off of the streets and made to do something productive. Instead our Cabinet would rather take this opportunity and give it to the jobless in Britain?

Then there is the question of cost, It so happens that not too long ago, I in fact, bought a waste-bin. I bought it at Ojuelegba. I bought it for the cost of N800. Now, it is perfectly possible that given where I bought it, and the fact that I haggled for 30 minutes before parting with my cash, that I bought it cheap. So, let us assume that being that it is a government contract, the purchaser would pay the first price, no questions asked. Let us assume that that first price is double the N800 that I paid for my bin that is N1600. Then let us assume that since ‘some other people must eat’, that the bins would be quoted at double the asking price, which is N3200. Now let multiply that new price by 60 000 units. The total sum for all those bins given these variables would be N192, 000, 000!

There, you see, I’ve just saved the Nigerian tax-payer almost N800million, and added to that, I’ve created jobs for some of our unemployed youth,
Re: This GEJ Sef: To Invest $200 Million In Film Industry? by Beaf: 5:29pm On Nov 08, 2010
oyb:

beaf, the glutton for humiliation

are you saying tribune is not a reliable publication when it is not doing what you do best, blow gej's nuts cheesy cheesy cheesy

oya try this one

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Opinion/5623714-182/expensive_rubbish____.csp

So you think any sensible person will be drawn into a news paper article battle? Dude, thats amusing but, childish and wouldn't go any distance to changing opinions, rather observers will view it as a lame and folorn attempt to clutch at any straw, because they have lost the current argument about GEJ's worthy investment in the entertainment industry.
Re: This GEJ Sef: To Invest $200 Million In Film Industry? by taiwo1981: 5:35pm On Nov 08, 2010
Nigerian were are we going with is blind leader of ours. making fool of himself
Re: This GEJ Sef: To Invest $200 Million In Film Industry? by mbulela: 7:16pm On Nov 08, 2010
oyb:

olodo

can you not read?

you IBB supporter.
shame on you for siding against the anointed of God, and a breath of fresh air.
shame on you  tongue tongue
Re: This GEJ Sef: To Invest $200 Million In Film Industry? by Nobody: 7:30pm On Nov 08, 2010
mbulela:

you IBB supporter.
shame on you for siding against the anointed of God, and a breath of fresh air.
shame on you  tongue tongue

ah u don miss am cheesy cheesy cheesy

as an ilorin man, i am a saraki slave cheesy cheesy
Re: This GEJ Sef: To Invest $200 Million In Film Industry? by Nobody: 9:07pm On Nov 08, 2010
The people moaning here about this investment will also be the first to moan about the ''poor quality'' of Nollywood output.

There's no winning with some Nigerians.
Re: This GEJ Sef: To Invest $200 Million In Film Industry? by Nobody: 3:58am On Nov 09, 2010
If there is hope to get Nollywood the proper international recognition and production quality that rivals Holly/Bollywood, then this is a necessary investment.
Re: This GEJ Sef: To Invest $200 Million In Film Industry? by Seun(m): 4:01am On Nov 09, 2010
MzDarkSkin:
If there is hope to get Nollywood the proper international recognition and production quality that rivals Holly/Bollywood, then this is a necessary investment.
How will the same government that can't fix NEPA be able to 'rival Hollywood and Bollywood'?
Re: This GEJ Sef: To Invest $200 Million In Film Industry? by mystikal(m): 6:27am On Nov 09, 2010
Titanic Part 2 to be shot in Nigeria
Re: This GEJ Sef: To Invest $200 Million In Film Industry? by SALady(f): 8:09am On Nov 09, 2010
wesley80:

Similar to the one U're facing?

^^^Nah! not in a million years, am in the league of those with well defined priorities. But since you approve of his crises I cant say the same for you now can I?
Re: This GEJ Sef: To Invest $200 Million In Film Industry? by anjyzplace: 11:19am On Nov 09, 2010
An educated fellow who has worked with professionals would know that its not money that NOLLYWOOD NEED,

Money wont stop PIRACY, !!!

Maybe a little bit, Lol
Re: This GEJ Sef: To Invest $200 Million In Film Industry? by juman(m): 11:31am On Nov 09, 2010
$200 Million on Film Industry  grin grin grin
This is just one of the empty promises that will come from President Jonathan in coming days, just to canvas for votes.
Re: This GEJ Sef: To Invest $200 Million In Film Industry? by Goddex: 12:14pm On Nov 09, 2010
@Poster
Yes it's worth it
Re: This GEJ Sef: To Invest $200 Million In Film Industry? by Goddex: 12:15pm On Nov 09, 2010
@Poster
Yes, it's worth it.
Re: This GEJ Sef: To Invest $200 Million In Film Industry? by phinter: 1:00pm On Nov 09, 2010
Fine there might be some things that are imminent like roads, education etc. But pumping this into the entertainment industry is a welcome development. How many of his predecessors have done this? This for me is a plus to Goodluck even though there pertinent issues.
Re: This GEJ Sef: To Invest $200 Million In Film Industry? by Nobody: 2:02pm On Nov 09, 2010
Seun:

How will the same government that can't fix NEPA be able to 'rival Hollywood and Bollywood'?

Actually Seun, I did not give a specific time frame. All I said is should they invest the money into it, then it would be a wise thing.
Another thing is this doubtful attitude people are willing to have. Sure the gov.t needs to get their ish together but so did and DOES the U.S. and India. India was and still is a(n) developing country with its shares of civil, religious, tribal and regional wars however Bollywood has been in effect since around the 1920s(or earlier) WAY before the US even CONSIDERED having major relations with the country. This is because Indians acknowledge entertainment is not only key to appeasing and preserving culture, but a necessary investment. It is 2010 and India still has it's distasteful caste system and major flaws, yet Bollywood is the SECOND LARGEST movie industry in the WORLD! I don't understand why African nations cannot seem to share the same determination, faith and planning skills as other countries. Its like they see one hurdle and dwell on that for decades rather than plan for the better good and take action. Nigeria is not the only country with a messed up gov.t and yet others seem to thrive.
Re: This GEJ Sef: To Invest $200 Million In Film Industry? by daylae(m): 2:27pm On Nov 09, 2010
ASUU, NLC problems will always be there,and sure it is the responsibility of the govt to attend to their yearnings. Negotiations are on already. Investing $200m into the entertainment industry is not a wrong move,but a move long overdue. The entertaiment industry is one of the highest employer of labour;and a sector capable of generating wholesome revenue if properly funded and managed. All the funds giving to our tertiary institutions over the years,what justice have they been able to do with them? Instead you hear cases whereby some VC are being chased up and down by anti-curruption agencies. And workers are just like oliver,they will always ask for more;and that's just the case the world over.

Every sector needs govt attention,and this is the first major involvement by the govt towards the entertainment industry. It shouldn't be discouraged. Afterall,it is just few of the sectors paying off for nigeria.
Re: This GEJ Sef: To Invest $200 Million In Film Industry? by Nobody: 11:14pm On Nov 09, 2010
^^amen!
Re: This GEJ Sef: To Invest $200 Million In Film Industry? by cb917d: 11:28am On Nov 11, 2010
To those who are against this move, what i have to say is THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX. THINK! think people. THINK!!

its as cheap as free to think. pls THINK! THINK!! THINK!!!
Re: This GEJ Sef: To Invest $200 Million In Film Industry? by eewule(m): 5:59pm On Nov 11, 2010
He should sack his advisers
Re: This GEJ Sef: To Invest $200 Million In Film Industry? by Nobody: 11:59pm On Oct 29, 2011
i saw an article in a softsell today which seems to indicate that like so many things from GEJ, this was just another empty promise.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

50 Cent Loses Weight In His Upcoming Movie Pix / Help Me With A Site To Download Tv Series / Where Can I Download Indian Movie Subtitle

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.