Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,187,423 members, 7,932,369 topics. Date: Tuesday, 27 August 2024 at 04:54 AM

Rich & Poor States: How States Shared N1tr In 6 Months - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Rich & Poor States: How States Shared N1tr In 6 Months (28916 Views)

How States Squandered FG Bailout Funds / Reps Probe Tukur, Baraje Over N1tr Rail Projects / FG And States Shared N409.354bn Yesterday (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rich & Poor States: How States Shared N1tr In 6 Months by chyz(m): 9:11pm On Nov 07, 2010
[size=18pt]Rich & poor states: How states shared N1tr in 6 months[/size]

News Nov 7, 2010

The 36 states in Nigeria have shared a total sum of N1 trillion between January and June 2010 from the national treasury.

In a summary of federal allocations to the states obtained by the Economic Confidential, the online intelligence magazine, within the period South-South states that are mostly oil-producing received the highest allocation of N386.8 billion followed by North-West N162.5 billion and South-West N160.7 billion.

Other regions like North-East got N119.7 billion, North-Central N117.2 billion and South-East received N99.4 billion.

In the finding by the Economic Confidential, Akwa Ibom State alone received a total sum of N104 billion while its neighbour, Cross River only got N18 billion in the first six months of the year.

Among the non-oil producing states, Lagos got the highest allocation of N48.5 billion followed by Kano with N31.9 billion. In a table that depicts the ranking of the states by the volume of allocations they received in that period, Akwa Ibom State came first with N104 billion, followed by Rivers N99.1 billion, Delta N90.4 billion, Bayelsa  N49 billion and Lagos N48 billion.

On  the table of recipients from the Federation Account,  Ebonyi is last with N16.5 billion, Ekiti N16.7 billion, Kwara N16.8 billion, Nasarawa N16.8 billion and Taraba  N17.2 billion

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2010/11/rich-poor-states-how-states-shared-n1tr-in-6-months/
Re: Rich & Poor States: How States Shared N1tr In 6 Months by Afam4eva(m): 9:14pm On Nov 07, 2010
This Niger-delta states dey chop money. Where's Enugu in all this.
Re: Rich & Poor States: How States Shared N1tr In 6 Months by Abagworo(m): 9:53pm On Nov 07, 2010
It is clear that the southeast is the poorest.
Re: Rich & Poor States: How States Shared N1tr In 6 Months by Nobody: 9:55pm On Nov 07, 2010
Yet they keep making noise and causing problem for Nigeria while the common man in their region suffers despite the huge amount of money allocated to them ! Stup id people !
Re: Rich & Poor States: How States Shared N1tr In 6 Months by EzeUche0(m): 9:55pm On Nov 07, 2010
Abagworo:

It would seem. Maybe we Igbos should look to militancy.
Re: Rich & Poor States: How States Shared N1tr In 6 Months by Beaf: 9:58pm On Nov 07, 2010
It is wrong for the FG to share money to states. Without true federalism, Nigeria will never develop.
Re: Rich & Poor States: How States Shared N1tr In 6 Months by EzeUche0(m): 10:02pm On Nov 07, 2010
afam4eva:

This Niger-delta states dey chop money. Where's Enugu in all this.

I am wondering as well. Maybe these "Niger Deltans" need to focus on their leaders instead of crying about marginalization.

Where is the south-east allocation?
Re: Rich & Poor States: How States Shared N1tr In 6 Months by Nobody: 10:06pm On Nov 07, 2010
EzeUche0:

It would seem. Maybe we Igbos should look to militancy.
Do you guys have collateral to justify your militancy ?
Re: Rich & Poor States: How States Shared N1tr In 6 Months by EzeUche0(m): 10:06pm On Nov 07, 2010
~Bluetooth:

Do you guys have collateral to justify your militancy ?

Of course. Just come to Alaigbo. I'll invite you.
Re: Rich & Poor States: How States Shared N1tr In 6 Months by DapoBear(m): 10:09pm On Nov 07, 2010
Data like this is best put in tables and plots. Would be more meaningful if visualized, compared to population figures, internally generated revenue, number of LGAs, etc. A bit meaningless w/o other pieces of information.
Re: Rich & Poor States: How States Shared N1tr In 6 Months by Nobody: 10:13pm On Nov 07, 2010
EzeUche0:

Of course. Just come to Alaigbo. I'll invite you.
Sorry bro. . .your militancy and hooliganism is pardonable nd justifiable if you have oil not firewood or coal !
Re: Rich & Poor States: How States Shared N1tr In 6 Months by EzeUche0(m): 10:15pm On Nov 07, 2010
~Bluetooth:

Sorry bro. . .your militancy and hooliganism is pardonable nd justifiable if you have oil not firewood or coal !

Well by that logic Abia State and Imo State can join in this militancy, since we have oil.
Re: Rich & Poor States: How States Shared N1tr In 6 Months by excanny: 10:15pm On Nov 07, 2010
Abagworo:

The Nigerian government short-changed us by creating fewer L.G.As in the SE. The more L.G.A you have the more allocation you recieve. Our leaders should have spoken against this on the ground that L.G.As should not be based on land mass, but on population.

Under normal circumstances, the SE is supposed to have the highest number of local governments in Nigeria due to it's densely populated geography.

1 Like

Re: Rich & Poor States: How States Shared N1tr In 6 Months by DapoBear(m): 10:18pm On Nov 07, 2010
Is the SE very populated? What is the population of those 5 states, approximately? (probably hard to get exact numbers, since the federal gov't likely falsifies population #s) Also, what are the internally generated revenue numbers for each state?
Re: Rich & Poor States: How States Shared N1tr In 6 Months by Nobody: 10:25pm On Nov 07, 2010
EzeUche0:

Well by that logic Abia State and Imo State can join in this militancy, since we have oil.
That peanut in the two states is not still enough .the so-called militants will end up being called kidnappers and armed robbers .
Re: Rich & Poor States: How States Shared N1tr In 6 Months by EzeUche0(m): 10:29pm On Nov 07, 2010
DapoBear:

Is the SE very populated? What is the population of those 5 states, approximately? (probably hard to get exact numbers, since the federal gov't likely falsifies population #s) Also, what are the internally generated revenue numbers for each state?

Did you just ask that question? lol

The SE is one of the most densely populated regions in the entire world. Igboland is overpopulated.

Re: Rich & Poor States: How States Shared N1tr In 6 Months by DapoBear(m): 10:32pm On Nov 07, 2010
I wanted numbers, figures, not just statements. I've heard all the statements that different Nigerian groups make, but would prefer hard facts rather than hearsay. Population survey said the population is X. IGR for the state is Y. Population in primary school is Z. Things like that are more interesting.

EDIT: Ahah, that sort of graph is useful. If I had a table of IGR #s for each state or even LGA, I could make a similar plot for LGAs. Then one for the figures from the most recent census, etc.
Re: Rich & Poor States: How States Shared N1tr In 6 Months by Beaf: 10:33pm On Nov 07, 2010
DapoBear:

The bolded is a very good question. FG allocations have made Nigerians lazy and corrupt. In saner countries, LG's would be the main revenue generators, they would pay taxes to the state govt, which will in turn pay taxes to the FG. The system we run in Nigeria is strange and unheard of, it isn't difficult to see that it is at the root of our developmental problems.

1 Like

Re: Rich & Poor States: How States Shared N1tr In 6 Months by EzeUche0(m): 10:38pm On Nov 07, 2010
This map was created by the United Nations. Clearly shows the East as the most densely populated region in Africa and the world as a whole.

You would know that if you were raised in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Rich & Poor States: How States Shared N1tr In 6 Months by DapoBear(m): 10:44pm On Nov 07, 2010
EzeUche: See, for example by looking at that 1978 plot, you can already start asking questions. Why is the population density high in only three regions in the country? Notice that everywhere else aside from those three regions, it below 100 per square KM. Now, what about those three spots makes them high in population density? Why in particular is that large region surrounding Kano so dense? If you can then compare to a plot of internally generated revenue and start detecting any strange discrepancies, then you can figure out which parts of the data are inconsistent and thus possibly untrustworthy.
Re: Rich & Poor States: How States Shared N1tr In 6 Months by EzeUche0(m): 10:49pm On Nov 07, 2010
DapoBear:

EzeUche: See, for example by looking at that 1978 plot, you can already start asking questions. Why is the population density high in only three regions in the country? Notice that everywhere else aside from those three regions, it below 100 per square KM. Now, what about those three spots makes them high in population density? Why in particular is that large region surrounding Kano so dense? If you can then compare to a plot of internally generated revenue and start detecting any strange discrepancies, then you can figure out which parts of the data are inconsistent and thus possibly untrustworthy.

Population is not dispersed in Nigeria. Some regions are more populated than others. Lagos is self-explanatory, because people from all over Africa comes to Lagos to trade and do business. Those Eastern states that were shown have always been densely populated. Populations in the southeast has been quite high, but our population has been under-counted for decades. However, the fact in the matter, you will find an Igbo man in every nook and cranny in Nigeria and Africa in general is testimony to our large population.

The Kano region has always been densely populated as well. It has always been Hausaland's most important city both culturally and economically. Before the British came to Nigeria, that region was one of the most densely populated regions in all of Africa due to commerce and an agricultural system that could sustain a large population.

Look at the last map that was generated by the United Nations with the map that was generated by the Nigerian government. It clearly shows similarities. Eastern Nigeria is the most densely populated region in all of Africa. This is a fact. There has even been historical precedence since the Bantu people who spread to central and southern Africa came from this region.

1 Like

Re: Rich & Poor States: How States Shared N1tr In 6 Months by Abagworo(m): 11:29pm On Nov 07, 2010
I am happy that this thread has proven my point on our poverty.The southeast hosts the most population in Nigeria but the least federal presence and capital projects.After 40 years of total neglect and marginalization it will be difficult to right this wrong without self help by all Igbos.There was a careful removal of all oil producing Igbo communities from Southeast and further balkanization of those who resisted like the Egbema and Ndoki.Gowon's goal was to achieve this situation we are in today.If all Igbos were in Southeast,most of Nigerias inland oil wells would have been in Southeast.Anambra is the poorest State in Nigeria followed by Imo.Anambra is also the 3rd most populous after Lagos and Kano followed by Imo.This explains why you see them everywhere.Nigerian Government needs to help Igbos to avoid a national disaster.What happened in Abia will be small compared with what might happen in Anambra if the Fg does not come to the rescue of Igbos.

1 Like

Re: Rich & Poor States: How States Shared N1tr In 6 Months by msaalli(m): 11:48pm On Nov 07, 2010
http://www.fmf.gov.ng/FMF_Revenue_Alloc.aspx

The above is the link to the Federal Ministry of Finance page on revenue allocation. A quick glance would show why some of these states earn more than others, based on 13% of derivation and also on VAT allocations based on amounts generated in their areas. For example, Lagos allocation was on the same level as those of other states until the inclusion of almost N5bn from VAT for July 2010.

This is for those calling for figures. My own silent contribution to what promises to be a robust discussion.
Re: Rich & Poor States: How States Shared N1tr In 6 Months by MaiSuya(m): 12:12am On Nov 08, 2010
[b]Other regions like North-East got N119.7 billion, North-Central N117.2 billion [/b]and South-East received N99.4 billion.

KAI!! gofment try well well for us o! cheesy
Re: Rich & Poor States: How States Shared N1tr In 6 Months by AkinEgba: 12:13am On Nov 08, 2010
msaalli:

http://www.fmf.gov.ng/FMF_Revenue_Alloc.aspx

The above is the link to the Federal Ministry of Finance page on revenue allocation. A quick glance would show why some of these states earn more than others, based on 13% of derivation and also on VAT allocations based on amounts generated in their areas. For example, Lagos allocation was on the same level as those of other states until the inclusion of almost N5bn from VAT for July 2010.

This is for those calling for figures. My own silent contribution to what promises to be a robust discussion.

But Lagos did not begin receiving larger chunk of VAT money in 2010. They have always been doing so way before 2010, and rightly too.
Re: Rich & Poor States: How States Shared N1tr In 6 Months by EzeUche0(m): 1:38am On Nov 08, 2010
Abagworo:

I am happy that this thread has proven my point on our poverty.The southeast hosts the most population in Nigeria but the least federal presence and capital projects.After 40 years of total neglect and marginalization it will be difficult to right this wrong without self help by all Igbos.There was a careful removal of all oil producing Igbo communities from Southeast and further balkanization of those who resisted like the Egbema and Ndoki.Gowon's goal was to achieve this situation we are in today.If all Igbos were in Southeast,most of Nigerias inland oil wells would have been in Southeast.Anambra is the poorest State in Nigeria followed by Imo.Anambra is also the 3rd most populous after Lagos and Kano followed by Imo.This explains why you see them everywhere.Nigerian Government needs to help Igbos to avoid a national disaster.What happened in Abia will be small compared with what might happen in Anambra if the Fg does not come to the rescue of Igbos.

We cannot look to the Nigerian government to help us. If our demands are not met, we must look for other options. If militancy or war is the answer, then so be it. They haven't done anything in 40 years for us, what makes you expect they will do something for us now? And yes, charity does begin at home. It is time for Igbos all across Nigeria, Africa and the Diaspora to invest in our home. That includes, the Igbos who were raised in Britain or the United States. We need all their numbers to improve Igboland. Sometimes I can only cry about what is happening in our beloved homeland. A grown man crying, can you believe it?

1 Like

Re: Rich & Poor States: How States Shared N1tr In 6 Months by msaalli(m): 1:58am On Nov 08, 2010
Akin-Egba:

But Lagos did not begin receiving larger chunk of VAT money in 2010. They have always been doing so way before 2010, and rightly too.

Well it was basically an illustration to show that other govts could create a better business environment in their states to make the most of the bad situation. Only Kano broke the N1bn mark in VAT among the remaining 35states. This can not be achieved in a situation where a small state like Ekiti recently had 21commissioners and 14advisers of cabinet status, or a Bauchi governor sacking 911 aides in 2009, or a Kebbi governor sacking 490 aides in the same 2009. Money that could be best spent improving the state revenue profile.
Re: Rich & Poor States: How States Shared N1tr In 6 Months by Beaf: 2:13am On Nov 08, 2010
msaalli:

Well it was basically an illustration to show that other govts could create a better business environment in their states to make the most of the bad situation. Only Kano broke the N1bn mark in VAT among the remaining 35states. This can not be achieved in a situation where a small state like Ekiti recently had 21commissioners and 14advisers of cabinet status, or a Bauchi governor sacking 911 aides in 2009, or a Kebbi governor sacking 490 aides in the same 2009. Money that could be best spent improving the state revenue profile.

We have state govts employing such high numbers of redundant staff, because they get free money. It is disgusting; like the rest of the country, even ND states produce fck all outside oil. Free money encourages waste and corruption.
The only way to solve Nigerias problems from corruption to development, is by instituting true federalsim. Let every state look within for ways to generate local wealth, or starve. If we do this, you'll be stunned at Nigeria's breakneck development speed and the quick death of corruption.

1 Like

Re: Rich & Poor States: How States Shared N1tr In 6 Months by DapoBear(m): 2:21am On Nov 08, 2010
Beaf:

We have state govts employing such high numbers of redundant staff, because they get free money. It is disgusting; like the rest of the country, even ND states produce fck all outside oil. Free money encourages waste and corruption.
The only way to solve Nigerias problems from corruption to development, is by instituting true federalsim. Let every state look within for ways to generate local wealth, or starve. If we do this, you'll be stunned at Nigeria's breakneck development speed and the quick death of corruption.

My brother! Look at this man of impeccable wisdom! I love it. As they say, "necessity is the mother of invention!"

Still, I think it should be done over a 4 or 5 year period of time rather than immediately. Yes the spigot of free money needs to stop, but if stopped too quickly, suffering shall occur. Nevertheless, you are 100% correct.

1 Like

Re: Rich & Poor States: How States Shared N1tr In 6 Months by Beaf: 2:37am On Nov 08, 2010
DapoBear:

My brother! Look at this man of impeccable wisdom! I love it. As they say, "necessity is the mother of invention!"

Still, I think it should be done over a 4 or 5 year period of time rather than immediately. Yes the spigot of free money needs to stop, but if stopped too quickly, suffering shall occur. Nevertheless, you are 100% correct.

Thanks for enlarging my small head! cheesy

I agree with you that it shouldn't be a sudden thing, in fact I think 4 to 5 years might be too short. Also, rather than continuing with the governors monthly Abuja begging bowl trips throughout the transition period, each state would be given a 1 year period to identify revenue sources, write feasibility studies and business plans to submit to the FG. The Fg will in turn broker a finance deal with oil money that has been set aside for the transition project. The FG will also negotiate soft repayment plans with the ND states, either as cash payments or shares etc.

With the above, everyone will get a fair deal and enough time and money to grow. ND states would also be repaid for financing the plan.

1 Like

Re: Rich & Poor States: How States Shared N1tr In 6 Months by asha80(m): 2:39am On Nov 08, 2010
Beaf:

Thanks for enlarging my small head! cheesy

I agree with you that it shouldn't be a sudden thing, in fact I think 4 to 5 years might be too short. Also, rather than continuing with the governors monthly Abuja begging bowl trips throughout the transition period, each state would be given a 1 year period to identify revenue sources, write feasibility studies and business plans to submit to the FG. The Fg will in turn broker a finance deal with oil money that has been set aside for the transition project. The FG will also negotiate soft repayment plans with the ND states, either as cash payments or shares etc.

With the above, everyone will get a fair deal and enough time to grow. ND states would also be repaid for financing the plan.

grin grin grin
Re: Rich & Poor States: How States Shared N1tr In 6 Months by EzeUche0(m): 2:44am On Nov 08, 2010
What the people of the Niger Delta and the North should be doing is asking their leaders what is happening to their allocation? The people of the south-east should be questioning the government about why our regions is being neglected. Are we not Nigerian citizens or are we still considered 2nd class citizens? This is the question I pose for you all.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Tension As Governors Sit On Bailout Fund / Jonathan Won Gold Medal In Corruption~ Tinubu / You Can’t Increase VAT, Tinubu Tells FG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.