Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,314 members, 7,881,161 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 01:38 PM

We Inherited N30bn Debt – Fayemi ! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / We Inherited N30bn Debt – Fayemi ! (668 Views)

Abia Speaker Deceived Us To Approve N30bn Loan —lawmakers / Amaechi Spent N30bn On Buhari - Wike / N30bn Mile 12 To Ikorodu Road Expansion Starts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

We Inherited N30bn Debt – Fayemi ! by wales(m): 6:20am On Nov 08, 2010
Ekiti State Governor, Dr. Kayode Fayemi, on Saturday said he inherited a N30bn debt from his predecessor, Mr. Segun Oni.

Fayemi, according to a statement by his Senior Special Assistant on Media, Mr. Mojeed Jamiu on Sunday, spoke in a chat with newsmen in Ado-Ekiti.

The statement explained that the sum included debts owed contractors and banks.

He said the debts remained the liabilities which his government had to offset.

According to Fayemi, “The immediate past regime took bank facilities, which attracted as much as 22 per cent interest rate, because of the high risk involved in dealing with an illegitimate government, which spent 42 months jumping from one court room to the other.”

The governor, according to the statement, however, declared that he would not allow the discovery to deter him from realising his promises to Ekiti people. Fayemi noted that the expectation of the people towards him were high, assuring that his administration would not fail them.

He said, “The state is indebted to the tune of about N30bn, being money owed contractors, banks, irrevocable standing orders to institutions at 22 per cent. This was because nobody was ready to lend to them at a favourable rate because of the uncertainty of that tenure.

“We are going to have to cope with that debt burden and at the same time look for longer term support that would enable us to deliver the promises we made to our people.”

Fayemi said his administration would work with international developmental agencies like the World Bank, United Kingdom Department for International Development and African Development Bank to fund his eight-point agenda. Apart from that, the governor said he would also focus on agriculture so that the state could regain its position as the ‘food basket’ of the South-West.

He said, “Education, health, development of human capital and freedom from poverty must remain inalienable rights of our people. But in accomplishing the necessary tasks, we will not privilege ideology over fact or dogma over common sense. Our primary objective will be what works best in the interest of our people.”

Fayemi reiterated his commitment to ensuring effective, responsive and transparent government, assuring that he would be careful in appointing commissioners and special advisers to reduce the cost of governance.

“We must reduce the cost of governance significantly. We promised free education, free medical care to children aged less than five, pregnant women, the disabled and the aged. We will focus our resources on these, and we have no apologies. That is what we are going to do,” he added.

Although Fayemi said that he would not institute a total probe of his predecessor’s tenure, he, however, warned that “it would be foolhardy for anyone to think that we’ll just forget about the past, without asking questions.”

However, Oni has described the allegations as untrue, noting that his government left an unspecified amount of money behind. The commissioner for information during Oni’s tenure, Mr. Taiwo Olatunbosun, who spoke on his behalf, said on the telephone, “Governor Fayemi should know that there were many ongoing projects and massive road construction work which did not stop even when there was a change of government. This was because we had mobilised the contractors and the process of paying the balance when the jobs are completed had been put in place.

“Oni was not a flamboyant governor, he was very prudent and managed the resources of the state government very well. That was why he was able to leave behind billions of money in the coffers.

“Where did Fayemi get the money he spent on his inauguration and the amount he used to pay workers’ salaries since he had frozen the state accounts?”

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201011081245535
Re: We Inherited N30bn Debt – Fayemi ! by wales(m): 6:21am On Nov 08, 2010
THIS FAYEMI MAN.PLEASE SOMEONE SHOULD TELL HIM THAT THE CELEBRATION IS OVER.NOW,GET DOWN TO WORK AND DELIVER YOUR OWN RESULTS. SHIKENA !! I’M TIRED OF OLD WORN OUT SONGS HE DID THIS AND DID THE OTHER THING. FOR ONCE,KEEP QUIET AND DELIVER WHAT YOU HAVE FOR EKITI PEOPLE.ENOUGH OF PRESS BRIEFINGS.ENOUGH SINGING TO THE PRESS DAILY
Re: We Inherited N30bn Debt – Fayemi ! by DapoBear(m): 7:04am On Nov 08, 2010

According to Fayemi, “The immediate past regime took bank facilities, which attracted as much as 22 per cent interest rate, because of the high risk involved in dealing with an illegitimate government, which spent 42 months jumping from one court room to the other.”
Lol, this is terrible. That rate is even worse than my credit card. And I would never think of using my CC to take on a large debt.

Fayemi said his administration would work with international developmental agencies like the World Bank, United Kingdom Department for International Development and African Development Bank to fund his eight-point agenda. Apart from that, the governor said he would also focus on agriculture so that the state could regain its position as the ‘food basket’ of the South-West.
YES!! Use the World Bank to setup a fund to pay for school in Ekiti state! If you set it up, we will all give money.

Fayemi reiterated his commitment to ensuring effective, responsive and transparent government, assuring that he would be careful in appointing commissioners and special advisers to reduce the cost of governance.

“We must reduce the cost of governance significantly. We promised free education, free medical care to children aged less than five, pregnant women, the disabled and the aged. We will focus our resources on these, and we have no apologies. That is what we are going to do,” he added.
Reduced costs, yes! Cut out any fat that exists. And free medical care to children under 5 and pregnant women is a wonderful idea. Again, if you setup a fund and take donations, I will give money too.

Anyway, the man has talked a good game. Let us see if he backs it up.
Re: We Inherited N30bn Debt – Fayemi ! by Nobody: 7:08am On Nov 08, 2010
Look eh, if EID [Ekitis In Diaspora] work together, they can fix this.

I am tired of repeating same ish. . . . 95% of Ekiti ppl dont live at home, dont stay at home, etc.

“Oni was not a flamboyant governor, he was very prudent and managed the resources of the state government very well. That was why he was able to leave behind billions of money in the coffers.

Is this person for real?

Where was he going to get the money to celebrate his wife's extravagant birthday?

@Dapo

YES!! Use the World Bank to setup a fund to pay for school in Ekiti state! If you set it up, we will all give money.
World Bank?
Re: We Inherited N30bn Debt – Fayemi ! by DapoBear(m): 7:30am On Nov 08, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Look eh, if EID [Ekitis In Diaspora] work together, they can fix this.

I am tired of repeating same ish. . . . 95% of Ekiti ppl dont live at home, dont stay at home, etc.

Is this person for real?

Where was he going to get the money to celebrate his wife's extravagant birthday?

@Dapo
World Bank?

Ah, if you don't like the World Bank, use the Red Cross. Basically, I want some well-respected international organization to be the one through who we admisiter the funds. If they attach their name to it, then we can have people (even non-Nigerians, your random white friends from your office) feel comfortable donating money. See my point? If you present it just as some Nigerian charity or something, people with think it is a scam. But if you present it as the "Ekiti State/Red Cross Children's Fund", and setup a website where people can donate money via credit card or write checks? Then not only will I ask everyone in my office to donate, I'll put posters everywhere in my city, go door to door, asking people to donate money.

Sort of see what I have in mind? I don't want it to be only the Ekiti donating money, I want our white/black/indian/chinese friends, coworkers, classmates, etc also chipping in. If we bring them on board too, then we can easily raise large amounts of money.

Now, I know a lot of us don't like/trust certain international organizations like the World Bank, but our white friends respect them and trust them. So we need to utilize their help.
Re: We Inherited N30bn Debt – Fayemi ! by Blazay(m): 7:36am On Nov 08, 2010
Serves you right.
You wanted to be governor.
Now govern and keep your trap shut.
Why is Fayemi complaining?
Does he not know the road to the EFCC office in Ekiti State?

Obama inherited a zillion dollars worth of debt from Bush.
You inherited 30billion Naira worth if debt from Oni.

Obama is now responsible.
So, you are now responsible.
Please, get to work and stop disturbing the world.
Re: We Inherited N30bn Debt – Fayemi ! by Nobody: 7:47am On Nov 08, 2010
Blazay:

Serves you right.
You wanted to be governor.
Now govern and keep your trap shut.
Why is Fayemi complaining?
Does he not know the road to the EFCC office in Ekiti State?

Obama inherited a zillion dollars worth of debt from Bush.
You inherited 30billion Naira worth if debt from Oni.

Obama is now responsible.
So, you are now responsible.
Please, get to work and stop disturbing the world.

Ehrrm slow your role.
He's just letting his ppl know that the road to success won't be that easy. Atleast we know the budget and won't be expecting quick miracle.
So. . . .why dont [b]you [/b]shut your trap.

DapoBear:

Ah, if you don't like the World Bank, use the Red Cross. Basically, I want some well-respected international organization to be the one through who we admisiter the funds. If they attach their name to it, then we can have people (even non-Nigerians, your random white friends from your office) feel comfortable donating money. See my point? If you present it just as some Nigerian charity or something, people with think it is a scam. But if you present it as the "Ekiti State/Red Cross Children's Fund", and setup a website where people can donate money via credit card or write checks? Then not only will I ask everyone in my office to donate, I'll put posters everywhere in my city, go door to door, asking people to donate money.

Sort of see what I have in mind? I don't want it to be only the Ekiti donating money, I want our white/black/indian/chinese friends, coworkers, classmates, etc also chipping in. If we bring them on board too, then we can easily raise large amounts of money.

Now, I know a lot of us don't like/trust certain international organizations like the World Bank, but our white friends respect them and trust them. So we need to utilize their help.

Are we now to be begging money from people [esp white friends]?

Dapo, plz, we have our dignity even when we're down. Red Cross ko grin grin tongue
Re: We Inherited N30bn Debt – Fayemi ! by DapoBear(m): 7:55am On Nov 08, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Ehrrm slow your role.
He's just letting his ppl know that the road to success won't be that easy. Atleast we know the budget and won't be expecting quick miracle.
So. . . .why dont you shut your mouth.

Are we now to be begging money from people [esp white friends]?

Dapo, plz, we have our dignity even when we're down. Red Cross ko grin grin tongue

Beg? Every year across America, kids in high school have fundraisers. This is how it works. There are these companies that collaborate with the schools, who sell different pastries, chocolates, etc. Or sometimes they sell newspaper subscriptions. Anyway, they go to their family, get their parents to buy. Then they also go to their neighborhood, ask their neighbors to buy. Each item they sell has a dollar value on it. A portion of each item is donated to the school the kid attends. I did this as a little kid myself, my sister does it too at her school.
Just last week, a kid knocked on my door to raise money for his own school. I was too lazy to buy the newspaper subscription he was selling, and instead gave him some cash.

So which begging is being done here? If they do not feel shame in raising money for their rich American schools by selling overpriced pastries, why should I feel shame in raising money for my own? There is nothing wrong with this sort of "begging", it is not sitting at the side of the street asking for money to buy beer with. It is legitimate money you are using to educate a child, buy books, etc.

Anyway, even if you want to call this begging, I'm not too proud to do it. The ends justify the means, in this case.
Re: We Inherited N30bn Debt – Fayemi ! by Nobody: 8:02am On Nov 08, 2010
DapoBear:

Beg? Every year across America, kids in high school have fundraisers. This is how it works. There are these companies that collaborate with the schools, who sell different pastries, chocolates, etc. Or sometimes they sell newspaper subscriptions. Anyway, they go to their family, get their parents to buy. Then they also go to their neighborhood, ask their neighbors to buy. Each item they sell has a dollar value on it. A portion of each item is donated to the school the kid attends. I did this as a little kid myself, my sister does it too at her school.

Just last week, a kid knocked on my door to raise money for his own school. I was too lazy to buy the newspaper subscription he was selling, and instead gave him some cash.

So which begging is being done here? If they do not feel shame in raising money for their rich American schools by selling overpriced pastries, why should I feel shame in raising money for my own? There is nothing wrong with this sort of "begging", it is not sitting at the side of the street asking for money to buy beer with. It is legitimate money you are using to educate a child, buy books, etc.

Anyway, even if you want to call this begging, I'm not too proud to do it. The ends justify the means, in this case.

awww.

Ok oh. Mo ti gbo
Re: We Inherited N30bn Debt – Fayemi ! by Blazay(m): 12:20pm On Nov 08, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Ehrrm slow your role.
He's just letting his ppl know that the road to success won't be that easy. At least we know the budget and won't be expecting quick miracle.
So. . . .why dont you [/b]shut your trap.

You slow hole-poke. [b]His people
already know, except the likes of you of course.
All one happy thieving family of chop and let's chop politicians.
Do you need Jesus to come down and tell you about the Ekiti budget or any other budget in Nigeria?
Always a deficit child.
You are the ignorant one.
So shut it.

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Leaders Need Prayers, Says Gowon / Nigeria Loses N.7bn, As Chevron Shuts Down Stations •jtf Arrests Togo’s Son, Sis / Inec Machine Rejects Obasanjo’s Fingerprint

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.