Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,727 members, 7,875,822 topics. Date: Saturday, 29 June 2024 at 10:22 PM

N20,000 Reward To Whoever Can Substantiate Allegations Against Prof. Emeagwali - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / N20,000 Reward To Whoever Can Substantiate Allegations Against Prof. Emeagwali (1552 Views)

N50m:Editor’s Guild Will Respond To Obaigbena’s Allegations Against Me – Adesina / AMAECHI REACTS: Trashes All The Allegations Against Him / Prove Your Allegations Against Us, INEC Dares PDP (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

N20,000 Reward To Whoever Can Substantiate Allegations Against Prof. Emeagwali by Superego: 7:21pm On Nov 08, 2010
I advise you first read this summary about him
Emeagwali, a beacon of hope for Africa
http://www.newsrescue.com/2010/10/emeagwali-a-beacon-of-hope-for-africa/

It's really a simple challenge so we save our Government the pain and waste of our tax and oil money in a useless investigation, money that should be spent investigating our hoodlum leaders who in contrast bring shame to our National image.

Anyone who believes Professor Emeagwali has made any false claims or Fraudulent claims of significance should post these simply and clearly and if he proves them to be true beyond reasonable doubt, I shall remit 20,000N to his Nigeria bank account or $130.00 to his foreign paypal account.

If I am not online when u submit your claim, kindly text my US# +16464726990 and I will review it pronto!
Re: N20,000 Reward To Whoever Can Substantiate Allegations Against Prof. Emeagwali by Ibime(m): 6:49am On Nov 09, 2010
The fact you called him Prof Emeagwali (without Professorship) is enough proof.

So Mr Emeagwali, please send me my money, although N20,000 no go belleful me, try up am small.
Re: N20,000 Reward To Whoever Can Substantiate Allegations Against Prof. Emeagwali by texazzpete(m): 7:29am On Nov 09, 2010
Ibime:

The fact you called him Prof Emeagwali (without Professorship) is enough proof.

So Mr Emeagwali, please send me my money, although N20,000 no go belleful me, try up am small.

Instant Kill!! grin
Superego, please pay him his money ASAP.
Re: N20,000 Reward To Whoever Can Substantiate Allegations Against Prof. Emeagwali by gogo123: 8:16am On Nov 09, 2010
;d ;d :d
Re: N20,000 Reward To Whoever Can Substantiate Allegations Against Prof. Emeagwali by hercules07: 8:56am On Nov 09, 2010
Ibime that was cruel now, you could have allowed the match to get to the sixth round before knocking him out, this one na 10 second instant knockout
Re: N20,000 Reward To Whoever Can Substantiate Allegations Against Prof. Emeagwali by Superego: 1:53pm On Nov 09, 2010
[quote="Ibime"]The fact you called him Prof Emeagwali (without Professorship) is enough proof.

So Mr Emeagwali, please send me my money, although N20,000 no go belleful me, try up am small.[/quote]

"Professor", as used in the United States.

What is a Professor?
Professor, one who professes.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/professor?&qsrc=

pro·fes·sor
   /prəˈfɛsər/ Show Spelled[pruh-fes-er] Show IPA
–noun
1. a teacher of the highest academic rank in a college or university, who has been awarded the title Professor  in a particular branch of learning; a full professor: a professor of spanish literature.

2. any teacher who has the rank of professor, associate professor, or assistant professor.

3. a teacher.

4. an instructor in some art or skilled sport: a professor of singing; a professor of boxing.

5. a person who professes his or her sentiments, beliefs, etc.

Emeagwali is a Professor!

Ibime. Get your life. Achieve something, stop becoming "important" by being on the ignoramuses bandwagon that spreads evil rumors against an eminent Nigerian who holds his own. Thank me later.

*Sorry, you'll need to do a lil more than that fraudulent, scam attempt to earn this reward. Perhaps the shameless SaharaDeportees online can help you.
Re: N20,000 Reward To Whoever Can Substantiate Allegations Against Prof. Emeagwali by Superego: 3:18am On Nov 10, 2010
John 8:7-10 (King James Version)

7 So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.

8 And again he stooped down, and wrote on the ground.

9 And they which heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, even unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst.

10 When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee?
Re: N20,000 Reward To Whoever Can Substantiate Allegations Against Prof. Emeagwali by aru11: 9:40pm On Nov 10, 2010
Philip Emeagwali (born 1954) is a Nigerian-born computer scientist who was one of five winners of the 1989 Gordon Bell prize , a prize from the IEEE, for his use of the Connection Machine supercomputer to help analyse petroleum fields. He received 1000 USD for this award.

He is often featured in the popular press as a prominent African-American or Nigerian scientist, and claims on his website to be the "World's Most Searched-For Scientist", "Second Most Searched-For Nigerian", and "Eighth Most Searched-For African". He has received numerous other awards, ranging from one from the World Bank- IMF Africa Club to recognition as one of "Essence magazine's ten most beautiful men".

Emeagwali heavily promotes himself as a speaker for conferences. A large number of websites [1] [2] named after famous inventors and other great achievers, particularly African ones, have been created to promote Emeagwali. They feature brief biographies of them (copied verbatim from sources such as Project Gutenberg public domain texts and the World Book Encyclopedia), surrounded by many links to Emeagwali's site. The large number of links to Emeagwali's main site also boosts the prominence of it in search engines. The relevant domain name whoisWhois is a protocol for submitting a query to a database for determining the owner of a domain name, an IP network, or an autonomous system number. For instance a whois query on wikipedia. org results in the following: Domain ID:D51687756-LROR Domain Name records list Donita Brown, Emeagwali's wife, as the technical and administrative contact.
1 Court case

Emeagwali studied for a PhD degree from the University of MichiganThe University of Michigan, Ann Arbor is a public coeducational university located in Ann Arbor, Michigan. It is the oldest and main campus of the University of Michigan, which also includes branches University of Michigan-Dearborn and University of Michi from 1987 through 1991. His thesis was not accepted by a committee of internal and external examiners and was thus not awarded the degree. Emeagwali filed a court challenge, claiming that the decision was a violation of his civil rights and that the university had discriminated against him in several ways because of his race. The court challenge was dismissed, as was an appeal to the Michigan state Court of Appeals.
2 Emeagwali's popular media claims

Emeagwali, on his website, claims that the Gordon Bell prize has been called "supercomputing's Nobel PrizeThe Nobel Prizes (pronounced no-BELL or no-bell are awarded annually to people who have done outstanding research, invented groundbreaking techniques or equipment, or made outstanding contributions to society. It is generally regarded as the supreme comme". While it is a significant prize in the relatively narrow field of supercomputing, it is not in any way comparable in financial rewards, prestige, or recognition to the Nobel Prizes. In the wider field of computing, the Turing AwardTuring Award is given annually by the Association for Computing Machinery to a person selected for contributions of a technical nature made to the computing community. The contributions should be of lasting and major technical importance to the computer f is regarded as by far the most prestigious award.

Emeagwali, cites CNN as describing him as "a father of the InternetThis article is about the Internet the extensive, worldwide computer network available to the public. An internet is a more general term for a set of interconnected computer networks that are connected by internetworking''. WWW information network structu", a claim that has been widely repeated in the popular press. This claim has not been paid much attention in the computer science and Internet communities. Emeagwali bases his claim on the notion that "the Supercomputer is the father of the internet", in that both a supercomputer and the Internet can be viewed as an interconnected network of processing units working cooperatively.

Supercomputers, and parallel processing, predate Emeagwali's work by decades. ENIACENIAC short for Electronic Numerical Integrator And Computer was the first all-electronic computer designed to be Turing-complete, capable of being reprogrammed by rewiring to solve a full range of computing problems. It was preceded in 1941 by the fully, arguably the first general-purpose digital computer, featured some level of parallel processing. The first supercomputers described as such were probably those developed by a team led by Seymour Cray at Control Data Corporation. The Connection Machine hardware itself was developed by a team at Thinking Machines by a team featuring a number of well-known computer scientists, at least partly based on founder Danny Hillis's doctoral work. The machines were used for a number of purposes well before Emeagwali's contribution.

The Internet was born out of an interest in connecting disparate computer networks and has been used for a large number of purposes. Many different technologies from the 1960s and 1970s, including packet switching and local area networks, contributed to its development. It is generally agreed that Vint Cerf and Robert Kahn were key figures behind the early development of the protocols used by the Internet, but a huge number of other people contributed to improvments to this basic technology, implementing it on a wide variety of computers and making this implementation widely available, and developing the services that use the infrastructure of the internet (such as Tim Berners-Lee, the inventor of the World Wide Web). Most of this work occurred in the 1980s and 1990s. Emeagwali has not provided any evidence of involvement with any of this work. Supercomputing researchers often made use of the internet as a way of remotely accessing machines; this is one of many applications of the Internet.

Emeagwali has not had any articles published in any journals or conferences published by the IEEE or the Association for Computing Machinery, the two largest and most prestigious bodies in the field of computing.

Some web sites state that he holds patents, for instance an article at the Lemelson-MIT inventor program [3], states that he "holds more than 30 patents". He is not listed in the USPTO patent database, which holds fully searchable records of all US patents dating back to 1976, nor in its pending application database, as of April 2004.

Emeagwali also claims to have performed the "world's fastest computation of 3.1 billion calculations per second in 1989" [4]. This is false; Emeagwali's Gordon Bell Prize was awarded for the best price/performance ratio; the winning entry in the absolute performance category performed almost double the number of calculations. The winning entry in the performance category also had a superior price/performance ratio to Emeagwali's solution; the judges decided to award only one prize to each entry and as the second-best entry Emeagwali received the price/performance prize [5]. In subsequent years, various supercomputers have been used to perform computations far faster and more cost-effectively than Emeagwali as the inevitable result of Moore's Law and improvement in programming techniques.
Re: N20,000 Reward To Whoever Can Substantiate Allegations Against Prof. Emeagwali by aru11: 9:43pm On Nov 10, 2010
Please send me the cash??
Re: N20,000 Reward To Whoever Can Substantiate Allegations Against Prof. Emeagwali by Genius10: 9:49pm On Nov 10, 2010
Here is a post from a different forum.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Allright, let us hear it from the horse's mouth. Here is an interview conducted with "Dr" Emeagwali in Jamaica before he removed a few of the false claims from his web site.

1) The interviewer starts off by saying Emeagwali was the first person to win the Gordon Bell prize.

Was he? No
Did he correct her? No
Were did she get the information from? "I dun know"

2) Fast forward to 3:17. The interviewer states that Emeagwali "invented" the Connection Machine, i.e. the 65,000 processor supercomputer.

De he "invent" the Connection Machine? No, W.D. Hillis did!
Did he correct her? No

3) Emeagwali next talks about breaking the world computing record.

Did he? No! The Mobil team had the best performance in 1988 for parallel computers on the same machine that Emeagwali used!

4) Emeagwali then talks about how he came up with the idea of using thousands of processors. (He even claimed credit for the 4-processor Apple Mac computer!)

Did he? No! In 1958, IBM researchers John Cocke and Daniel Slotnick discussed the use of parallelism in numerical calculations for the first time. Burroughs Corporation introduced the D825 in 1962, a four-processor computer that accessed up to 16 memory modules through a crossbar switch.

5) Fast forward to 6:25. The interviewer states that Emeagwali has two Master's degrees and a Ph.D. in Civil Engineering

Does he have a Ph.D.? No
Did he correct her? No
Were did she get the information from? From the bio that Emeagwali provided.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMFy9sBLFQQ&feature=player_embedded
Re: N20,000 Reward To Whoever Can Substantiate Allegations Against Prof. Emeagwali by Superego: 12:33am On Nov 11, 2010
aru11

Please provide 1 line questions, I have ADD and really can't figure out what your points are. i will give you the reward once we ascertain your factual accusations.

[quote="Genius10"]
Here is a post from a different forum.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Allright, let us hear it from the horse's mouth. Here is an interview conducted with "Dr" Emeagwali in Jamaica before he removed a few of the false claims from his web site.

1) The interviewer starts off by saying Emeagwali was the first person to win the Gordon Bell prize.

Was he? Yes. He was the first person(INDIVIDUAL) to win the GBP. Other winners had only been teams of many.
Did he correct her? Be corrected

2) Fast forward to 3:17. The interviewer states that Emeagwali "invented" the Connection Machine, i.e. the 65,000 processor supercomputer.

De he "invent" the Connection Machine? No, W.D. Hillis did!
Did he correct her? Not rudely or embarrassingly correcting a non scientific interviewer is not a fraud claim. In his explanation he did not state he invented this. This is a silent correction. He clearly, unequivocally sed- "My work was, "
Were did she get the information from? She only glanced at the paper and then described in her lame capacity as a non scientist. be corrected.

3) Emeagwali next talks about breaking the world computing record.

Did he? Yes. he and the Mobil team BOTH broke the record that year. This is why they were both awarded prizes.

4) Emeagwali then talks about how he came up with the idea of using thousands of processors. (He even claimed credit for the 4-processor Apple Mac computer!)

Did he? This "claim" is according to what the Gordon Bell committee's Alan Karp et al sed when they awarded him the prize. I will reference if required.

5) Fast forward to 6:25. The interviewer states that Emeagwali has two Master's degrees and a Ph.D. in Civil Engineering

Does he have a Ph.D.? Did he say he did?
Did he correct her? He was polite, he looked down and resisted interjecting
Were did she get the information from? From the bio that Emeagwali provided. If you have evidence of this please submit, if not kindly respect us here and do no promote lies, promoting defaming lies is the work of the devil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMFy9sBLFQQ&feature=player_embedded
[/quote]

Is this it? Is this why you cast stones at this man? because of erroneous interpretations and insinuations? is this it, like seriously?
Re: N20,000 Reward To Whoever Can Substantiate Allegations Against Prof. Emeagwali by Superego: 12:42am On Nov 11, 2010
Ok aru11.

Apart from much of what you posted which looked like an ordinary biography(please highlight accusations I missed)

Here are the points/questions I believe you raised.

1. Turing Vs GBP as "Nobel equivalents".

A simple search for "Nobel prize equivalents":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_prizes_known_as_the_Nobel_of_a_field

Computer Science

* Turing Award[4]

Economics

* Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic Sciences

Engineering

* Gordon Prize[5][6][7]

* Russ Prize[8][9][10]
    * Charles Stark Draper Prize[11][12][13]

The GBP is awarded by the IEEE the worlds largest association of Computer professionals and engineers. Indeed supercomputer work is computer Engineering.

So do you really feel justified being part of the dogs that try to bring this man down?

2. [quote="aru11"]Emeagwali bases his claim on the notion that "the Supercomputer is the father of the internet", in that both a supercomputer and the Internet can be viewed as an interconnected network of processing units working cooperatively.[/quote]

No he actually does not. His work in this field predates his configuring the supercomputer. He configured it in 1989 based on his theories and hypothesis since the 70s, which described nodes all around the world interlinking to predict the weather, in line with a past similar work, His Weather hypercube network hypothesis of the 70s is the point he attributes was most significant in being parts of ideas that inspired global inter-networking. In essence, you must understand that his award winning success configuring the computers was not a sudden meal like mana and Quail that dropped from heaven, it was just the final chance to exhibit a theory he had promoted and built upon for over 15 years. It was the visible harvest reaping of a long ago cultivated and planted farm.

Your accusation is mere imagination/errors in understanding.

Watch his lecture at his Alma mata, University of Michigan to see how he describes himself as a father of the internet.

[flash=300,250]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFXBOv5QvVs?fs=1&hl=en_US[/flash]

3. What else do you say?, yeah, that. He never sed he invented the supercomputer. Correct me if I am wrong, nor did he ever say he was the first to apply parallel computing in broad, non-specific fashion.

4. He and Mobil together broke the record that year with the fastest calculations. Some races can be won by two people, both setting recognized records, first in their own senses. This is why he won the award. You can't take the award away from him.

======================

The court of public opinion should determine if either of you deserves to continue picking and throwing stones and in essence deserves the N20,000 or if you have yet failed to justify your ineffective stone throwing at this Honorable Nigerian professor and true Pro Africanist!

(1) (Reply)

Unpleasant Tales From A Nigerian Hospital (1) / American School, Abuja Allowed To Remain Open While All Other Schools Must Close / Pdp Will Take Over Lagos And South West- Jonathan Odechukwu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.