Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,198,525 members, 7,968,470 topics. Date: Monday, 07 October 2024 at 07:59 AM

Air Traveller Shares Shocking Experience With Nigerian Customs In Abuja - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Air Traveller Shares Shocking Experience With Nigerian Customs In Abuja (541 Views)

Customs In Shock As Loads Of Live Crabs Found At Airport In The Bahamas(pictures / HELP: My Package Sent From USA Is Hanging At The Nigerian Customs / Kehinde Ogunwunmiju Vs Customs: Court Awards N5m Against Nigerian Customs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Air Traveller Shares Shocking Experience With Nigerian Customs In Abuja by Atandakk: 5:47pm On Oct 21, 2019
NewsmakersNG

Matilda Omonaiye/

A Nigerian air traveller has taken to Facebook to share her experience after an encounter with customs officers at the Nnamdi Azikwe International Airport in Abuja.

Adaeze Udenzi, who came into the country on a British Airways flight from London, expressed shock at the treatment she received after her personal effects were seized at the entry point.
Here’s her post:

“Good afternoon my dear friends! Hope we are keeping well. I want to share my experience yesterday morning at the Abuja International Airport so you all are in the know of what is going on in our country, NIGERIA.

“I arrived Abuja from London yesterday October 18, 2019, at about 4.30 am with ONE pair of trainers and ONE mini boy bag bought at the duty-free shop in Heathrow (Please see pictures below). For the records, I am a banker. I am not a trader.

“To my shock, Customs at Abuja airport headed by one Ms Essien and T. Abdulrahman said these do not qualify as personal effects and calculated duty payment of about N175,000 for me to pay. Most shocking to me was that I was the only passenger on that flight BA 083 from London that was singled out for this treatment.

“My question now is, what are Nigerians able to buy when they travel? Ms Essien says that Nigerians are only entitled to N50,000 worth of goods. Everything above N50,000 is considered luxury and dutiable.

“I pointed out to her that someone who had shoes had just been released by the same Customs without any charge and to my shock, she said that...
Read More: https://www.newsmakerslive.org/air-traveller-shares-shocking-experience-with-nigerian-customs-in-abuja/

Re: Air Traveller Shares Shocking Experience With Nigerian Customs In Abuja by backnbeta(f): 6:28pm On Oct 21, 2019
Who will bail us out of this oppression by the animals in power? She could have easily bribed or begged, but for how long are we going to continue like this? Somebody should do something about customs and their excesses... it's getting embarrassing undecided

2 Likes

Re: Air Traveller Shares Shocking Experience With Nigerian Customs In Abuja by chukxie(m): 3:56am On Oct 22, 2019
Maybe the traveler left the price tag on the items unbeknownst to her how untoward some customs/ immigration officers can be. The Nigerian needs to clean up its international airports because the bare-faced corruption, intimidation and harrassment going on there stink to high heavens.

(1) (Reply)

How Can I Benefit From This Exchange Rate. My Brother Is In New York. / List Of Cheap Tuition Universities In Russia For International Students / Cheapest Flight From Lagos To Sokoto.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.