Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,231 members, 7,977,643 topics. Date: Thursday, 17 October 2024 at 11:29 AM

Why I Cannot Describe General Yakubu Gowon As A Hero- FFK - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why I Cannot Describe General Yakubu Gowon As A Hero- FFK (701 Views)

Former Head Of State General Yakubu Gowon Dies At 89 / “el-rufai Is The Hero” – FFK Slams Peter Obi, Atiku And Emefiele / Wedding Of General Yakubu Gowon In 1969 (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why I Cannot Describe General Yakubu Gowon As A Hero- FFK by Ctorch: 7:30am On Oct 24, 2019
WHY I CANNOT DESCRIBE GENERAL YAKUBU GOWON AS A HERO

When the real history of the country is written the role of General Yakubu Gowon and the other Nigerian commanders during the civil war will be put in proper perspective. The slaughter of 3 million Biafran civilians in that war is the greatest act of black on black genocide in human history.

I cannot celebrate the birth of a man who presided over such carnage and neither can I describe him as a hero. Nigeria cannot make much progress or truly prosper until she apologises to the Igbo and Biafrans for the great evil that we visited upon them duing the civil war.

The waging of war is different to the mass murder of civilians. The former is lawful, the latter is not. War between two armies is legitimate but the targetting and slaughtering of innocent and defenceless men, women and children is a violation of international law and a crime against humanity.

Worse still such savagery and barbarity is simply unacceptable in a society or nation that lays claim to being rational, reasonable, decent, benign and civilised.

The truth is that those that were directly involved in the carnage have innocent blood on their hands and that blood cries to God in heaven for vengeance and justice.

We as a nation would do well to learn from others and muster the decency and courage to apologise and make reparations to the people of the South East for the abominable cruelty and wickedness that we visited on them in the name of the Nigerian civil war.

(Femi Fani-Kayode)

2 Likes

Re: Why I Cannot Describe General Yakubu Gowon As A Hero- FFK by Nobody: 7:33am On Oct 24, 2019
Gowon is a war criminal.

only fools celebrate him.

Adolf Hitler versus Yakubu Gowon!!!

Spot the difference if you can:

Hitler - Massacred 6 million Jews in genocide
Gowon - Massacred over 3.5 million Biafrans in genocide

Today, Hitler is not celebrated in Germany because he was a murderer and genocidist.

Similarly, Gowon must not be celebrated in Nigeria because he’s a murderer, genocidist and a war criminal.

6 Likes

Re: Why I Cannot Describe General Yakubu Gowon As A Hero- FFK by oyin44: 7:37am On Oct 24, 2019
Apologise for what!!! ,After the war,some foreigners came to observe its conduct and concluded that the war was not any worse in execution than wars waged in past generations.the truth was that ojukwu was ill prepared for the fight and he had nothing to send the enemy except the bodies of his own people

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why I Cannot Describe General Yakubu Gowon As A Hero- FFK by unohbethel(m): 7:49am On Oct 24, 2019
its only in a zoo that a murderer is celebrated

3 Likes

Re: Why I Cannot Describe General Yakubu Gowon As A Hero- FFK by unohbethel(m): 7:53am On Oct 24, 2019
MelesZenawi:
Gowon is a war criminal.

only fools celebrate him.

Adolf Hitler versus Yakubu Gowon!!!

Spot the difference if you can:

Hitler - Massacred 6 million Jews in genocide
Gowon - Massacred over 3.5 million Biafrans in genocide

Today, Hitler is not celebrated in Germany because he was a murderer and genocidist.

Similarly, Gowon must not be celebrated in Nigeria because he’s a murderer, genocidist and a war criminal.
this is why this country will never progress..and also why they will never teach history in schools for people to learn. Until they Accept that they did wrong and treat everyone fairly and justly, it will always be a shitthole
Re: Why I Cannot Describe General Yakubu Gowon As A Hero- FFK by 9jii(m): 8:22am On Oct 24, 2019
Gowon did what must be done.
And if it must be done again we ll do it.
Re: Why I Cannot Describe General Yakubu Gowon As A Hero- FFK by nlPoster: 8:26am On Oct 24, 2019
FFK is really into Igbo these days, well at least it's good to have passion for a cause.
Re: Why I Cannot Describe General Yakubu Gowon As A Hero- FFK by gidgiddy: 8:27am On Oct 24, 2019
Gowon is still globally listed along with Idi Amin of Uganda and and Mengitsu Haile of Ethiopia as the 3 biggest mass-murderers to emerge from Africa

3 Likes

Re: Why I Cannot Describe General Yakubu Gowon As A Hero- FFK by Emoo96: 9:31am On Oct 24, 2019
oga na hunger kill does people nobi using arm against innocent women or babies.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why I Cannot Describe General Yakubu Gowon As A Hero- FFK by Deepfeel(m): 10:30am On Oct 24, 2019
Emoo96:
oga na hunger kill does people nobi using arm against innocent women or babies.

Gowon through the advice of awolowo blocked all food supply and all foreign medical humanitarian aid from reaching Biafra, they targeted Biafra farms and farmers, destroyed their farms, very few Biafran soldiers died in battle, the millions died mainly because of hunger

1 Like

Re: Why I Cannot Describe General Yakubu Gowon As A Hero- FFK by gloriaunobi(f): 10:41am On Oct 24, 2019
Despite reducing us to nothing during the war we were able to still come up and build ourself again, most road in South East are very bad because the federal government ignored them, secondary schools in southeast are community secondary schools, no federal presence in Igbo land and yet the North and West are comparing themselves to Igbo land that was nothing in the past, they should just give us 30 more years to come. It's not about making noise on Nairaland.
Re: Why I Cannot Describe General Yakubu Gowon As A Hero- FFK by Nobody: 10:43am On Oct 24, 2019
gidgiddy:
Gowon is still globally listed along with Idi Amin of Uganda and and Mengitsu Haile of Ethiopia as the 3 biggest mass-murderers to emerge from Africa
Zoogerian legacy
Re: Why I Cannot Describe General Yakubu Gowon As A Hero- FFK by orisa37: 10:56am On Oct 24, 2019
Deepfeel:

Gowon through the advice of awolowo blocked all food supply and all foreign medical humanitarian aid from reaching Biafra, they targeted Biafra farms and farmers, destroyed their farms, very few Biafran soldiers died in battle, the millions died mainly because of hunger

Buhari is revenging for Biafrans now at the Benin Republic Borders. FFK people are dying in ODUDUWA Land .
Re: Why I Cannot Describe General Yakubu Gowon As A Hero- FFK by Deepfeel(m): 11:04am On Oct 24, 2019
orisa37:

Buhari is revenging for Biafrans now at the Benin Republic Borders. FFK people are dying in ODUDUWA Land .

I don't know what you mean by Buhari is revenging for Biafrans, at Benin republic borders enlightened me, cause I know there are thousand of Biafrans using that border for business too
Re: Why I Cannot Describe General Yakubu Gowon As A Hero- FFK by orisa37: 11:12am On Oct 24, 2019
THE NASS IS DERELICT.

(1) (Reply)

Power Supply Still Poor, Operations Unstable 6 Years After Privatisation / Obaseki, Deputy Get Seven-day Ultimatum To Beg Party Chair / Gombe Governor Launches 50 Air-conditioned Buses For Gombeline

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.