Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,285 members, 7,881,064 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 11:43 AM

Should Working Class Wives Be Given 'Upkeep'? - Family (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should Working Class Wives Be Given 'Upkeep'? (23835 Views)

Should I Give my working Class Wife Allowance? / Which Expenses Should The “Upkeep” Money/Allowance Cater For? / Will You Be Angry With Your Wife If You Discover She's Saving From Upkeep Money? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should Working Class Wives Be Given 'Upkeep'? by JJOF(m): 7:11pm On Nov 02, 2019
ogawisdom:

Jeez they have arrived, ur money our money n my money my money crew grin

A good wife should even submit her entire salary to her husband and the man will give her sth for upkeeps from there n save the rest for the family cool
Hmmm, this table wey u dey shake so ehn.....
Re: Should Working Class Wives Be Given 'Upkeep'? by kingjoe(m): 7:15pm On Nov 02, 2019
pocohantas:
Same bullshit,
Different day...

Mtcheew angry
poco believe it or not. finance is the most frequent cause of quarell in mariages. infact , i am even suggesting that pastors should ask about this before allowing couples get married.

1 Like

Re: Should Working Class Wives Be Given 'Upkeep'? by YOUNGELDER1(m): 7:21pm On Nov 02, 2019
Dalby:

Upkeep I not feeding money for the house, or money to run the home o. Let's not confuse the 2, now over to you...

Upkeep, feeding money or whatever.
As much as she demands or is required I’m giving her because I’ve and i can !
She’s working or not i still provide !
I’m the man of the man of the house & won’t give my wife any reason to cheat over finances.
She might cheat but will never be over money understood?

1 Like

Re: Should Working Class Wives Be Given 'Upkeep'? by mechanics(m): 7:26pm On Nov 02, 2019
She should contribute her own quota for the families welfare.

1 Like

Re: Should Working Class Wives Be Given 'Upkeep'? by Omonigeriarere: 7:48pm On Nov 02, 2019
YOUNGELDER1:
I can’t even imagine not giving my wife upkeep money.
Working or not maybe because of my pride as the man of the house lol.

Then again can’t trust this women they be needing the slightest reason to cheat on you & i don’t want a “stingy husband” to be one.

Your last statement is subjective. If you like give a 'cheat' heaven and earth, she will still cheat.
Re: Should Working Class Wives Be Given 'Upkeep'? by samuelonyewueny(m): 8:07pm On Nov 02, 2019
LordKO:

Provided that she is/remains submissive, she'll always have unrestricted access to available and accessible money at any time, whether or not she earns money directly/personally.

As a submissive/good/aristocratic/humane/virtuous/loving woman who's independent-minded:

- Her word is bankable, so there won't be any need to take up the task of monitoring and controlling an adult, because she'll always be altruistic and conscientious and knows how to deploy each where and when necessary. And that, broadly, means that one won't dissipate energy in the pursuit of oneness with her in particular, and peace of mind in general, because she understands that liberty doesn't negate decorum.

- With her, personal longing to achieve eternal oneness with an opposite sex of a nonkin automatically becomes an easy task.

So, she deserves the absolute best treatment.

oh God ..see English

3 Likes

Re: Should Working Class Wives Be Given 'Upkeep'? by chukzyfcbb: 8:24pm On Nov 02, 2019
I didn't grow up in a house with such habit.

And so I won't be adopting such smiley

However this is not to say I will be insensitive to her needs, that will be taken care of (clothes shoes bla bla) and take full responsibility for the provision in the home.

But monthly upkeep abi monthly salary as some women call it, nahhhh. I am not a product of such and so won't be the first person in za family to start the trend.
Re: Should Working Class Wives Be Given 'Upkeep'? by YesNoMaybe: 8:45pm On Nov 02, 2019
Obviously I'm late to the party.
I'd like to comment on a traditional (not typical) Igbo man's perspective on marriage. This would throw more light around the dark edges of your submission.

The (traditional) Igbo man abhors divorce. Why? Because in his eyes, he's not the only 'husband' to his wife. All his male relatives are her 'husband'. In turn, his Umunna (male kindred) takes it up as a duty to rightly project the woman as 'our wife'. He wouldn't wanted to be taunted as the fellow who couldn't keep his home. The shame of 'disgracing' the Umunna is the Igbo man's ultimate fear.

This creates a healthy rivalry between extended families. The wives and kids are the battle grounds. The Igbo man projects his successes in the light of his wife and young kids. You might look down on his simple modest appearance on the streets of Ikeja until you hear statements like "You don't know that man, wait until you see his wife's car". You might hear him retort by saying "I've got a woman I'm taking care of at home!"..... healthy ego and pride. It's construed as a mark of achievement and 'arrival' to 'keep a woman at home'. Thankfully, the modern Igbo men are sidestepping the practice.
It isn't surprising that the pseudo-Igbo 'August Meetings' are sometimes an avenue for Igbo men to 'show' their rivals who has more wealth via their wives' cars, attires and multi-million naira donations.

With all due respect, the Igbo hardly has any fear of going back to his father's house 'without a pin' because her society's 'composition' (to a very significant extent) guarantees it won't happen.

bukatyne:

I am serious.

I grew up in an all Igbo community (we were just two Yoruba on a very long street) so I have first hand experience on some of their way of life.

We've had a similar discussion where I told you that housewifery or a man fully responsible for home financially is not a Yoruba thing.

In fact, an housewife or financially non-contributing wife is called alabodo (someone you feed to fvck). To not say that there are no outliners.

Igbos however pride themselves in fully financing the home (I see this even in my colleagues with working wives). Growing up, most of the Igbo wives literally did not leave the house except to market or parties while you saw the husbands hustling (legit and non). The downside was that the men's words were law and upon the breakdown of the marriage, the wives did not leave with a pin so the marriage must not break.

Comparing this to pre-colonial times when everyone farmed, where was the cultural shift for them?

Igbos can also pitch in.
Re: Should Working Class Wives Be Given 'Upkeep'? by crackhaus: 8:55pm On Nov 02, 2019
loswhite:
so they should be willing to spend their hard earned money also
Of course

2 Likes

Re: Should Working Class Wives Be Given 'Upkeep'? by Nobody: 9:26pm On Nov 02, 2019
Ewuro4:
What is “upkeep”?

Money given to one’s partner for personal /shopping needs etc....some refer to it as monthly allowance from one’s spouse

It shouldn’t be confused with feeding and utility stuffs money .

After you’ve gotten the above definition, does it make any sense to give such to a woman who’s working?
Re: Should Working Class Wives Be Given 'Upkeep'? by patikh123(m): 10:16pm On Nov 02, 2019
YOUNGELDER1:
I can’t even imagine not giving my wife upkeep money.
Working or not maybe because of my pride as the man of the house lol.

Then again can’t trust this women they be needing the slightest reason to cheat on you & i don’t want a “stingy husband” to be one.

how about you as a man having a wife who only cares about herself... and also as a married man still find urself doing d domestic works u were doing as a bachelor instead enjoying ur marital status such as washing ur bathroom, always cooking especially if u must eat b4 going to work, washing ur clothes urself? Will u still give her the so called allowance or upkeep as u rightly said? pls b sincere man
Re: Should Working Class Wives Be Given 'Upkeep'? by Pussywar(f): 10:42pm On Nov 02, 2019
crackhaus:

I agree.

In addition to that, I believe feminists, psuedo-feminists, SJWs, in fact, any woman who claims to be a strong independent woman by attaching herself to any of these listed labels, ought NOT to expect to be given "upkeep" as a matter of principle.

Oh how I hate this word, "upkeep".

For wives (working or not) who deserve it, I'd rather refer to it as an 'honorarium'.
The length y'all would go to try and destroy feminism.
First of all, you should know that a housewife can be a feminist.
Secondly, whether he want to give his 'feminist' wife upkeep is the mans business.
Thirdly, what the Bleep is " wives who deserve it "? Y'all toxic males need prayers.

3 Likes

Re: Should Working Class Wives Be Given 'Upkeep'? by crackhaus: 11:00pm On Nov 02, 2019
Pussywar:

[s]The length y'all would go to try and destroy feminism.
First of all, you should know that a housewife can be a feminist.
Secondly, whether he want to give his 'feminist' wife upkeep is the mans business.
Thirdly, what the Bleep is " wives who deserve it "? Y'all toxic males need prayers.[/s]

3 Likes

Re: Should Working Class Wives Be Given 'Upkeep'? by Pussywar(f): 11:08pm On Nov 02, 2019
crackhaus:

Go tell that to your mother.

4 Likes

Re: Should Working Class Wives Be Given 'Upkeep'? by megareal: 11:59pm On Nov 02, 2019
80% of the folks on this thread are mad angry
Re: Should Working Class Wives Be Given 'Upkeep'? by Eliz24(f): 12:20am On Nov 03, 2019
If you want to be respected give monthly upkeep no matter how small just do it, even if your wife earns more than you. Keep on being responsible, a responsible reasonable working class woman may not bother you or even add more than you gave. Let her see your effort in trying to manage the home, a responsible woman will do the needful.
Re: Should Working Class Wives Be Given 'Upkeep'? by BRATISLAVA: 12:26am On Nov 03, 2019
crackhaus:

Buka what are you typing? cheesy

Western women more open to being housewives?
Western courts provide for the needs of non-earning spouses from the earning spouse?

Lol cheesy
yes, the West is open to housewives. It's the pseudo westernized Nigerians who think women must bring something to the table, after hearing that White women work without getting the full context, and make a big deal out of it. You either have a wife who is a housewife or a wife who works. When you have both, you have a slave and not a wife. I noticed in this modern world that it is only poor men who expect their wives to work and fuss about it. The expectations are unrealistic. Most men need clay to design women because they're never satisfied

3 Likes

Re: Should Working Class Wives Be Given 'Upkeep'? by BRATISLAVA: 12:34am On Nov 03, 2019
crackhaus:

Don't join in this gross misinformation which has become an anthem on the pages of the internet. It is a lie.

In the days of our grandparents and great-grandparents, women worked. There are more housewives today than it was in those days.
Farming was the major source of livelihood and who do you think did the harvesting and selling of farm produce in the markets? Women.
Most times it was even across villages miles apart, these women did those things and still handled chores in the home front when they got back.
The men only cultivated the lands and planted, lands which were usually in their backyards.

It wasn't until the missionaries and colonial masters began introducing menial/manual jobs in the form of factories, railway building, construction, etc that men began leaving home to work for salaries.

Don't take my word for it, ask about your ancestral history and confirm this. I know things about my great-grandparents and great-great-grandparents from stories that were passed down. There was NEVER anything like a housewife in those days.
now you are talking. Everyone was working. But what responsibilities lay financially on each party, if I may ask? And why is it that nowadays we hear silly things like man of the house and submission and emergencies and contribute and bring to the table if we all came from this equal ancestry? Men of the new age in Nigeria generally want to abscond their duties and the easiesr way is to insist that women are doing nothing and should work as they do, clean, provide advice, talk politics like pros, watch soccer, care for children, bring money to the table, while in return all the men want to do is go to work and bring money. Can you see the disparity? One person does all that whole another just goes to work and returns, occasionally helping when they feel they've been pandered to sufficiently. This is why the women don't want to do all that and still give respect and submission. What are modern men contributing to homes? Why is their burden the lightest while they preen like they are lords? The women seem to deserve some "upkeep" as the load is unfair.
Or perhaps this ancestry shows us that men have been lazy and incapable for a very long time. They only planted seeds but women harvested and sold and maintained the home front. What have men been doing down the ages apart from creating imbalanced, unfair and ridiculous expectations from women? Women need pills and to find their own way grin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should Working Class Wives Be Given 'Upkeep'? by crackhaus: 1:11am On Nov 03, 2019
BRATISLAVA:
now you are talking. Everyone was working. But what responsibilities lay financially on each party, if I may ask? And why is it that nowadays we hear silly things like man of the house and submission and emergencies and contribute and bring to the table if we all came from this equal ancestry? Men of the new age in Nigeria generally want to abscond their duties and the easiesr way is to insist that women are doing nothing and should work as they do, clean, provide advice, talk politics like pros, watch soccer, care for children, bring money to the table, while in return all the men want to do is go to work and bring money. Can you see the disparity? One person does all that whole another just goes to work and returns, occasionally helping when they feel they've been pandered to sufficiently. This is why the women don't want to do all that and still give respect and submission. What are modern men contributing to homes? Why is their burden the lightest while they preen like they are lords? The women seem to deserve some "upkeep" as the load is unfair.
Or perhaps this ancestry shows us that men have been lazy and incapable for a very long time. They only planted seeds but women harvested and sold and maintained the home front. What have men been doing down the ages apart from creating imbalanced, unfair and ridiculous expectations from women? Women need pills and to find their own way grin
I agree with this, at least there'll be peace cheesy
Re: Should Working Class Wives Be Given 'Upkeep'? by crackhaus: 1:15am On Nov 03, 2019
BRATISLAVA:
yes, the West is open to housewives. It's the pseudo westernized Nigerians who think women must bring something to the table, after hearing that White women work without getting the full context, and make a big deal out of it. You either have a wife who is a housewife or a wife who works. When you have both, you have a slave and not a wife. I noticed in this modern world that it is only poor men who expect their wives to work and fuss about it. The expectations are unrealistic. Most men need clay to design women because they're never satisfied
The west before the women's suffrage/rights movement took off, or the west after that?
Re: Should Working Class Wives Be Given 'Upkeep'? by DexterousOne(m): 1:21am On Nov 03, 2019
crackhaus:

This is how I always know I'm on a Nigerian forum. I'd be hard pressed to find something like this on Reddit.

It's a pity really undecided
Re: Should Working Class Wives Be Given 'Upkeep'? by makavelli80(m): 6:35am On Nov 03, 2019
dollytino4real:
yes because she belongs to somebody, her money is just 4 her to show off as a working class
well-done
Re: Should Working Class Wives Be Given 'Upkeep'? by bukatyne(f): 6:48am On Nov 03, 2019
crackhaus:

The west before the women's suffrage/rights movement took off, or the west after that?

After especially the conservatives.

Their major point is that a wife can't work and still be effective as a wife.
Re: Should Working Class Wives Be Given 'Upkeep'? by crackhaus: 12:13pm On Nov 03, 2019
bukatyne:

After especially the conservatives.

Their major point is that a wife can't work and still be effective as a wife.
Conservative women were not part of those who desired enfranchisement in the workforce?
Re: Should Working Class Wives Be Given 'Upkeep'? by dollytino4real(f): 1:20pm On Nov 03, 2019
makavelli80:
well-done
thank you
Re: Should Working Class Wives Be Given 'Upkeep'? by MiLezBrOwN: 2:04pm On Nov 03, 2019
Even if she earns more than I do I will still keep giving her money.. That's how you stay alpha in ur home.. That's what been a real man..
Re: Should Working Class Wives Be Given 'Upkeep'? by BRATISLAVA: 3:14pm On Nov 03, 2019
crackhaus:

in both instances. Based on the premise that if you want the home dealt with, then that's a housewife's field.
Generally speaking if you want extra income, then you cannot have the house wife, you can have the working wife. Just like working men aren't house husbands-except those who work from home.
Re: Should Working Class Wives Be Given 'Upkeep'? by BRATISLAVA: 3:18pm On Nov 03, 2019
makavelli80:
well-done
lol. I don't understand that one. To show off? The way some people reason
Re: Should Working Class Wives Be Given 'Upkeep'? by BRATISLAVA: 3:21pm On Nov 03, 2019
crackhaus:

I agree with this, at least there'll be peace cheesy
grin the f***n*zi pill
Re: Should Working Class Wives Be Given 'Upkeep'? by crackhaus: 4:22pm On Nov 03, 2019
BRATISLAVA:
grin the f***n*zi pill
Start distributing please grin
Re: Should Working Class Wives Be Given 'Upkeep'? by crackhaus: 4:30pm On Nov 03, 2019
BRATISLAVA:
in both instances. Based on the premise that if you want the home dealt with, then that's a housewife's field.
Generally speaking if you want extra income, then you cannot have the house wife, you can have the working wife. Just like working men aren't house husbands-except those who work from home.
You're confusing me and yourself. cheesy

Let me simplify.

What is more prevalent today in western societies?
Housewives or working wives?

2 Likes

Re: Should Working Class Wives Be Given 'Upkeep'? by cutefashion: 5:49pm On Nov 03, 2019
Reddit is the best social networking site. Yes, this forum is good...but the Reddit is one of the top 10 sites (according to traffic) in the world.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Should A Wife Wait For Her Husband Before She Eats Or She Should Eat Alone? / If Not For Your Wife, Would You Have Married The Time You Did? / Ladies: Would You Welcome A Framed Picture Of Your MIL In Your Home?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.