Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,181,097 members, 7,913,110 topics. Date: Tuesday, 06 August 2024 at 07:27 PM

A Pond Of Water Adegbayi-alakia Ibadan Popularly Called Odo Strabergy - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A Pond Of Water Adegbayi-alakia Ibadan Popularly Called Odo Strabergy (2047 Views)

This Is Veteran Killer SARS Officer In Ibadan. He Is Popularly Called OC Aremu / General Idris Alkali's Personal Items Found In A Pond. Photos / Missing Army General Alkali Car Found Inside A Pond In Plateau State. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Pond Of Water Adegbayi-alakia Ibadan Popularly Called Odo Strabergy by kibraaminase(m): 11:41am On Oct 30, 2019
Can any nairalander's living around this area Alakia Adegbayi Straberg explain the rational behind it with pictures
Re: A Pond Of Water Adegbayi-alakia Ibadan Popularly Called Odo Strabergy by ishadfurnitures: 12:14pm On Oct 30, 2019
Residents of Apata, Straberg in Adegbayi Area of Ibadan are calling on the authorities concerned to rescue them from a strange phenomenon that they have had to live with and whose impact on their lives could least be described as negative.According to them, unless something was done urgently, the pond located right in the heart of the community, which is believed to possess the power to get its victims by 'blinking' at them, would continue to wreak havoc in the area.While some believe the pond is possessed of a strange, supernatural power, others claim it could be harbouring a killer-fish.Community News gathered that from 2004 to date, 13 people have lost their lives in the pond in what could be described as 'mysterious circumstances.'Of all those who fell into the pond, none, according to information, came out alive, fuelling speculations about the weird nature of the pond.Community News investigation revealed that prior to 2001, the location of the pond used to be a hilly terrain where a foreign road construction company sourced for stones for its road construction work. The company was said to have abandoned the place with the oozing of water from the hill and the consequent formation of a small pond which made accessibility difficult.With the exit of the construction company, it was time for a pure water company to take over.According to sources, the pure water company (one of the pioneers and most sought after pure water in Ibadan at the time), quickly moved in their equipment, making use of what they considered to be spring water.The company was said to have used the water for its packaged water business until sometimes in 2004 when the pond was said to have 'blinked' and claimed its first victim.The pond reportedly claimed its second victim shortly afterwards and the third, fourth, fifth and so on.One victim, a teenage boy, was said to be running away from reprimand having been accused of stealing. He was said have jumped into the pond with 'glee'.The last victim, who lost his life in January 2013, was said to be washing his car by the side of the pond.Some others were said to be washing their legs or pouring waste into it when they got drowned.According to a resident of the area, Abiodun Olalere: 'This pond is an unusual one. There's no doubt that it is possessed. If not, why did these people get drowned so easily' We used to play by the side of it but we had to stop when we learnt it sent messengers to a prominent member of the community making certain demands.Community News spoke with the prominent member of the community, who was said to have received the messengers, Chief Araola Oyebade Nbankanreje.He said: 'I have lived here for over 20 years. It's true that many people got drowned and died in the pond. It is also true that I once had some strange visitors. They were three in number. The message they delivered was coded. So, I made enquiries in three places and the responses I got were the same. I was told that the 'people' I saw were messengers from the pond, that it wanted me to mobilise the people in the area so that we could regularly make appeasement to it.'I shared my experience with the people but they refused to comply. But for me, I make appeasement to the pond every year. Every December 1, I take nine wraps of eko to the pond amid dancing, drumming and fanfare. The best other residents do is to gather as onlookers.'As you must have heard, the pond has overflowed its bank many times, wreaking havoc in the commnunity but in all these times, myself and my household have been spared.'However, Taofeek Dauda, who claimed to be a member of the founding family of the area and who was seen paddling his boat and fishing in the pond said: ' It's possible there's a river goddess here but it is not responsible for the deaths that have been recorded. Those who got drowned must have been careless or they were destined to die that way. You never can tell, some of these people could be under a curse. Come to think of it, if a drunk is passing by this pond in the dark, what do you think is likely to happen' This pond is not as wicked as people think it is. If it were so, will they build houses around it' I have been fishing in this pond for the past seven years. In fact, I earn my living from here. And there had been no problem whatsoever. I get all kinds of Tilapia fish from here which I sell to my customers. The fishes in this pond can freed the whole of Ibadan people for days.'Another resident, who prefered anonymity, said: I believe there's a killer-fish in the pond though I have not seen one.The residents were, however, unanimous in their demand that government at the local and state levels should come to their aid by either building a barricade round the lake or betterstill, according to Mr Kayode Adeni, 'government can use the pond for electricity generation. Some of the rivers used for such purposes are not even as big as this one.'Mr Olalere also recalled that during the days of Senator Rashidi Ladoja as the state governor, efforts were made by the state government to convert the pond into such useful purpose but the project was abandoned.Nbankanreje added: 'Government should intervene by ensuring that the pond does not pose any danger to us.'All efforts to get the comments of authorities of Egbeda Local Government Area, which has jurisdiction over the location of the pond proved abortive.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Pond Of Water Adegbayi-alakia Ibadan Popularly Called Odo Strabergy by Guestlander: 12:47pm On Oct 30, 2019
Build a barricade around the pond and the "blinking goddess" will stop blinking, and people will stop falling in. Africans and superstitions.

1 Like

Re: A Pond Of Water Adegbayi-alakia Ibadan Popularly Called Odo Strabergy by kibraaminase(m): 1:58pm On Oct 30, 2019
[quote author=ishadfurnitures post=83590810]Residents of Apata, Straberg in Adegbayi Area of Ibadan are calling on the authorities concerned to rescue them from a strange phenomenon that they have had to live with and whose impact on their lives could least be described as negative.According to them, unless something was done urgently, the pond located right in the heart of the community, which is believed to possess the power to get its victims by 'blinking' at them, would continue to wreak havoc in the area.While some believe the pond is possessed of a strange, supernatural power, others claim it could be harbouring a killer-fish.Community News gathered that from 2004 to date, 13 people have lost their lives in the pond in what could be described as 'mysterious circumstances.'Of all those who fell into the pond, none, according to information, came out alive, fuelling speculations about the weird nature of the pond.Community News investigation revealed that prior to 2001, the location of the pond used to be a hilly terrain where a foreign road construction company sourced for stones for its road construction work. The company was said to have abandoned the place with the oozing of water from the hill and the consequent formation of a small pond which made accessibility difficult.With the exit of the construction company, it was time for a pure water company to take over.According to sources, the pure water company (one of the pioneers and most sought after pure water in Ibadan at the time), quickly moved in their equipment, making use of what they considered to be spring water.The company was said to have used the water for its packaged water business until sometimes in 2004 when the pond was said to have 'blinked' and claimed its first victim.The pond reportedly claimed its second victim shortly afterwards and the third, fourth, fifth and so on.One victim, a teenage boy, was said to be running away from reprimand having been accused of stealing. He was said have jumped into the pond with 'glee'.The last victim, who lost his life in January 2013, was said to be washing his car by the side of the pond.Some others were said to be washing their legs or pouring waste into it when they got drowned.According to a resident of the area, Abiodun Olalere: 'This pond is an unusual one. There's no doubt that it is possessed. If not, why did these people get drowned so easily' We used to play by the side of it but we had to stop when we learnt it sent messengers to a prominent member of the community making certain demands.Community News spoke with the prominent member of the community, who was said to have received the messengers, Chief Araola Oyebade Nbankanreje.He said: 'I have lived here for over 20 years. It's true that many people got drowned and died in the pond. It is also true that I once had some strange visitors. They were three in number. The message they delivered was coded. So, I made enquiries in three places and the responses I got were the same. I was told that the 'people' I saw were messengers from the pond, that it wanted me to mobilise the people in the area so that we could regularly make appeasement to it.'I shared my experience with the people but they refused to comply. But for me, I make appeasement to the pond every year. Every December 1, I take nine wraps of eko to the pond amid dancing, drumming and fanfare. The best other residents do is to gather as onlookers.'As you must have heard, the pond has overflowed its bank many times, wreaking havoc in the commnunity but in all these times, myself and my household have been spared.'However, Taofeek Dauda, who claimed to be a member of the founding family of the area and who was seen paddling his boat and fishing in the pond said: ' It's possible there's a river goddess here but it is not responsible for the deaths that have been recorded. Those who got drowned must have been careless or they were destined to die that way. You never can tell, some of these people could be under a curse. Come to think of it, if a drunk is passing by this pond in the dark, what do you think is likely to happen' This pond is not as wicked as people think it is. If it were so, will they build houses around it' I have been fishing in this pond for the past seven years. In fact, I earn my living from here. And there had been no problem whatsoever. I get all kinds of Tilapia fish from here which I sell to my customers. The fishes in this pond can freed the whole of Ibadan people for days.'Another resident, who prefered anonymity, said: I believe there's a killer-fish in the pond though I have not seen one.The residents were, however, unanimous in their demand that government at the local and state levels should come to their aid by either building a barricade round the lake or betterstill, according to Mr Kayode Adeni, 'government can use the pond for electricity generation. Some of the rivers used for such purposes are not even as big as this one.'Mr Olalere also recalled that during the days of Senator Rashidi Ladoja as the state governor, efforts were made by the state government to convert the pond into such useful purpose but the project was abandoned.Nbankanreje added: 'Government should intervene by ensuring that the pond does not pose any danger to us.'All efforts to get the comments of authorities of Egbeda Local Government Area, which has jurisdiction over the location of the pond proved abortive.
Re: A Pond Of Water Adegbayi-alakia Ibadan Popularly Called Odo Strabergy by kibraaminase(m): 6:07am On Oct 31, 2019
Good enlightenment, anybody with living in this area should pls uploads us with pictures. Op pls move this to front page
Re: A Pond Of Water Adegbayi-alakia Ibadan Popularly Called Odo Strabergy by kibraaminase(m): 12:05pm On Nov 06, 2019
This morning,Oyo state government through ministry's of enviroment has sent delegates to the area to go and verify the level of damages it has caused
Re: A Pond Of Water Adegbayi-alakia Ibadan Popularly Called Odo Strabergy by OiOi: 12:24pm On Nov 06, 2019
kibraaminase:
This morning,Oyo state government through ministry's of enviroment has sent delegates to the area to go and verify the level of damages it has courses
no pictures

(1) (Reply)

Northerner Blast Northern Elders Over Attack On Amotekun / "Ebonyi People Treated As 2nd Class People"- Gov Umahi / When Will Tinubu And Osibanjo Empower His People Like Igbos Politician Do?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.