Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,311 members, 7,943,754 topics. Date: Monday, 09 September 2024 at 12:16 AM

Goodbyes By Victoria Omoghena Edidi - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Goodbyes By Victoria Omoghena Edidi (352 Views)

Body Shaming By Victoria Omoghena Edidi / BLACK By Victoria Omoghena Edidi / THE RAVAGED BEAUTY By Victoria Omoghena Edidi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Goodbyes By Victoria Omoghena Edidi by VictoriaOmo: 2:44am On Nov 02, 2019
Hello people. It's been a while. I wrote the piece below to encourage someone out there who has lost a loved one; that they know that there's always hope.

" I'm sorry", I heard a voice whisper from the shadows; "if I had had a choice in the matter, I would have stayed", it continued.
I looked to my left from where the appeal emanated. I saw a translucent form which looked so much like my father. His eyes were sad and pleading; he needed me to so much understand why he had to leave me; why he had to leave us.
This is strange for I spoke with father this morning. He was in perfect health and was even looking forward to my birthday celebration which was to take place in two days. How could he be here apologizing? This had to be a cruel joke.
"It's not a joke", he returned. It appears that he seemed to know my thoughts. "I am gone, dear one. I know that you'll be mad at me but, try to understand that this is beyond me. I love you and your mother more than you two could ever imagine. I'm sorry I'm bringing this on you. Do forgive me. Look after your mother for me. Be her strength, for she'll be needing you to lean on. Help one another to move on. You'll never be alone. I love you."
Just as soon as he uttered those words, he faded into the night and I awoke. It was a dream, and yet so real for I woke to tears streaming down my face. There was this sudden wash of grief over me; a sense of being incomplete; a sense of loss.
The ringing of my phone jarred me from my contemplations. It was my maternal aunt. That's strange, for we spoke the previous day. Her first words were: "June, you need to come home". The quivering of her voice gave her away. I asked about my father and she broke into tears.
My fears were confirmed. I let out a scream of anguish, dropping my phone to the floor. It's over now. I recalled my dream with dread. Of course, it was never really a dream. Dad in his own way had come to say "good-bye".
"Good night fearless warrior", I whispered into the silence that followed my scream. I packed a few things and made ready to go home trying to come to terms with it. A new future awaits which I must face with courage. Though the road seems dark now, I do believe that I'll eventually see the light. I'll try my best to be strong for mum and I as we've only got each other now. I lift my bag to my shoulder and walk into the morning sun; walking to a new life; walking with the assurance that we'll be fine eventually.

Losing a loved one is not the end of life. There's always light at the end of that tunnel. Just hold on. Time always heals that wound and it will for you. You'll emerge stronger from the darkness and that's a fact.

Re: Goodbyes By Victoria Omoghena Edidi by Kindoo: 7:14am On Nov 02, 2019
In this world of wickedness, it can be hard losing a loved one but one must be stronger than each moment that one get to in other to stay strong.

Wurastories is a platform for writers, you tell your story in way you want it. Join this community of writers who I believe will make the world a better place with the power of pen.

Read a story, Tell a story.
Wurastories.com.ng

(1) (Reply)

A Simple Act Of Greed / I Am Not A Ritualist / What You Need To Do To Sell As A Writer.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.