Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,178,092 members, 7,903,550 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 July 2024 at 03:25 PM

Who Should Give Out A Woman In Marriage? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Who Should Give Out A Woman In Marriage? (3894 Views)

Nigerian Woman In Trouble For Battering Indian Lover (photo) / Missing Pregnant Woman In Abuja Found (See Photos) / 107 Year Old Man Weds 95 Year Old Woman In Plateau (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Should Give Out A Woman In Marriage? by MzWumi(f): 1:08am On Nov 16, 2010
My mother walked me down the aisle on my wedding day. Everyone's mouth dropped as if Jesus decended from heaven and was walking behind us. I don't understand what the big deal is about this old tradition!!!
Re: Who Should Give Out A Woman In Marriage? by InkedNerd(f): 1:16am On Nov 16, 2010
MzWumi:

My mother walked me down the aisle on my wedding day. Everyone's mouth dropped as if Jesus decended from heaven and was walking behind us. I don't understand what the big deal is about this old tradition!!!

High five for you MzWumi cheesy. Sounds like something I'd do. Did anyone question you about it?
Re: Who Should Give Out A Woman In Marriage? by Sagamite(m): 1:18am On Nov 16, 2010
dayokanu:

Sagamu when you wan marry?

r231:

thanx bruv. . . . . you are next grin grin grin

Bruvs, Ewooo!!!

I think sey impe we be pals. See as una dey send curse my way? Wetin I do una?

Tufiakwa!

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

[size=4pt]Jennykadri, I am only joking o. Divorce that guy sharp sharp and we will head up the aisle.[/size]
Re: Who Should Give Out A Woman In Marriage? by MzWumi(f): 1:45am On Nov 16, 2010
No one knew what I wanted to do so no one would even open their mouths. Plus everyone knows that I don't take nonsense, so who can dare question something that is none of their business. The only person that knew was my uncle, not even my own mama. I told her while we were in the limo heading towards the church. Everyone thought I would have my uncle walk me down the aisle, so when I told him that I wanted my mother, he agreed. I didn't tell my mom because she is a big traditionalist and is always worrying about what people think!
She was very shocked at my idea, she didn't like it. I told her that if she was not willing to walk me down then I will refuse to get out of the limo, so she didn't have an option!

My mom has been there for me through thick and thin. She has endured years of suffering all for my sake, and on my day of glory, why should I let a "man" take credit for her hard work just for tradition sake?  That is complete bull crap!

FYI, we also had a mother daughter dance as well, lol
Re: Who Should Give Out A Woman In Marriage? by Ndipe(m): 1:53am On Nov 16, 2010
It's perfectly understandable for your mom to walk you down the aisle if your father was out of the picture. background. My own is that so long as both parents are married to each other and live together, then having your mother ALONE would raise eyebrows, because it's usually a role reserved for the father of the bride.
Re: Who Should Give Out A Woman In Marriage? by Nobody: 2:14am On Nov 16, 2010
Times have changed. Anyone should.
Re: Who Should Give Out A Woman In Marriage? by InkedNerd(f): 2:34am On Nov 16, 2010
Ndipe:

It's perfectly understandable for your mom to walk you down the aisle if your father was out of the picture. background. My own is that so long as both parents are married to each other and live together, then having your mother ALONE would raise eyebrows, because it's usually a role reserved for the father of the bride.

So what if it raises eyebrows?
Re: Who Should Give Out A Woman In Marriage? by emmatok(m): 9:52am On Nov 16, 2010
stillwater:

Times have changed. Anyone should.

For those who want to marry, marriage it self is based on tradition.

why are we Africans trying to dumping our traditional values.

Even the western world still follow this tradition.

check chelsea clinton wedding

Re: Who Should Give Out A Woman In Marriage? by SisiKill1: 9:58am On Nov 16, 2010
emmatok:

And this is supposed to be the convincing factor for it? undecided
Re: Who Should Give Out A Woman In Marriage? by emmatok(m): 10:05am On Nov 16, 2010
MzWumi:

No one knew what I wanted to do so no one would even open their mouths. Plus everyone knows that I don't take nonsense, so who can dare question something that is none of their business. The only person that knew was my uncle, not even my own mama. I told her while we were in the limo heading towards the church. Everyone thought I would have my uncle walk me down the aisle, so when I told him that I wanted my mother, he agreed. I didn't tell my mom because she is a big traditionalist and is always worrying about what people think!
She was very shocked at my idea, she didn't like it. I told her that if she was not willing to walk me down then I will refuse to get out of the limo, so she didn't have an option!

My mom has been there for me through thick and thin. She has endured years of suffering all for my sake, and on my day of glory, why should I let a "man" take credit for her hard work just for tradition sake?  That is complete bull crap!

If it were my Mum, she will ignore your threat and see if u will not get  married on that day.

Marriage is about two families coming together not just you and your man.
Re: Who Should Give Out A Woman In Marriage? by Amjustme: 10:40am On Nov 16, 2010
Whoever wants to hand her over shld go ahead, am just concerned why bride prices are paid to persons other than d bride.
Re: Who Should Give Out A Woman In Marriage? by ohaechesi(m): 11:49am On Nov 16, 2010
you can hire me for the job na grin grin grin
Re: Who Should Give Out A Woman In Marriage? by Jabulana(m): 11:57am On Nov 16, 2010
Does it really matter? traditionally Fathers does as sign of respect I suppose & say goodbye properly to his beloved daughter taken away by another man but in absence of your father, your uncle will do. if non of these people are present anyone would be fine gal. I will do it for free
Re: Who Should Give Out A Woman In Marriage? by JeSoul(f): 4:54pm On Nov 16, 2010
MzWumi:

My mom has been there for me through thick and thin. She has endured years of suffering all for my sake, and on my day of glory, why should I let a "man" take credit for her hard work just for tradition sake? That is complete bull crap!

Lol grin I like this girl, you no send at all grin
Re: Who Should Give Out A Woman In Marriage? by Dgunnerz(m): 10:06pm On Nov 16, 2010
The Parents.
Re: Who Should Give Out A Woman In Marriage? by chic2pimp(m): 12:17am On Nov 17, 2010
Sisi_Kill:

And this is supposed to be the convincing factor for it? undecided
Yes nau grin
Re: Who Should Give Out A Woman In Marriage? by kellybaba(m): 9:58am On Nov 17, 2010
Walking a Bride down the aisle and giving her in marriage(collection of dowry) are two different things !
1) Anyone can walk her to the Alter but ideallyy it should be the Father or Brother(where father is deceased)or cousin/uncle(where father is deceased and no male sibling).
2) Giving her hand in marriage should be a fatherly and elderly person in the Paternal home and this could be the father or an elderly uncle.
This is premised on our common heritage as Africans who have culture and tradition
Re: Who Should Give Out A Woman In Marriage? by Sagamite(m): 1:38pm On Nov 17, 2010
kellybaba:

Walking a Bride down the aisle and giving her in marriage(collection of dowry) are two different things !
1) Anyone can walk her to the Alter but ideallyy it should be the Father or Brother(where father is deceased)or cousin/uncle(where father is deceased and no male sibling).
2) Giving her hand in marriage should be a fatherly and elderly person in the Paternal home and this could be the father or an elderly uncle.
This is premised on our common heritage as Africans who have culture and tradition

What is culture and tradition?

The processes, ways, rituals and mentality someone years/decades/centuries ago set as the right one?

Why should I follow such religiously? My own brain is empty?

My ONLY culture and tradition is MAKING SENSE!!!

My family knows that if something makes sense I will do it, if it does not I wouldn't. I will not sit my arse down and be saying I have to do something because it is our "culture". Culture, in my humble and insightful opinion, can kiss where the sun don't shine if I find it senseless, inhibitive and irrelevant to a goal I have found optimally ideal.
Re: Who Should Give Out A Woman In Marriage? by InkedNerd(f): 1:54pm On Nov 17, 2010
Sagamite:

The processes, ways and mentality someone years/decades/centuries ago set as the right one?

My family knows that if something makes sense I will do it, if it does not I wouldn't. I will not sit my arse down and be saying I have to do something because it is our "culture". Culture, in my humble and insightful opinion, can kiss where the sun don't shine if I find it senseless, inhibitive and irrelevant to a goal I have found optimally ideal.

Hmmmm, interesting.
Re: Who Should Give Out A Woman In Marriage? by Nobody: 2:54pm On Nov 17, 2010
emmatok:

. . . and it's not by force but by choice to marry. The same way the issue of who gives out the woman should be by choice. Are you threatened by this?
Re: Who Should Give Out A Woman In Marriage? by Nobody: 10:19am On Nov 18, 2010
Sagamite:

The processes, ways, rituals and mentality someone years/decades/centuries ago set as the right one?

Lord have mercy on this boy ooooo
Re: Who Should Give Out A Woman In Marriage? by Sagamite(m): 12:00pm On Nov 18, 2010
nikkykay:

[flash=400,350]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qw9oX-kZ_9k[/flash]
Re: Who Should Give Out A Woman In Marriage? by armyofone(m): 2:07pm On Nov 18, 2010
iseee

nikkykay:

Re: Who Should Give Out A Woman In Marriage? by JERRYLEX: 3:28pm On Nov 18, 2010
brb
Re: Who Should Give Out A Woman In Marriage? by akossyy: 3:42pm On Nov 18, 2010
surely the father, u guys can ask unnecessarily questions.
Re: Who Should Give Out A Woman In Marriage? by Ndipe(m): 11:30pm On Nov 18, 2010
akossyy:

surely the father, u guys can ask unnecessarily questions.

Traditionally, it's the father's duty, however (based on what is posted here and is happening in here in the USA), others are calling for a change of guard. That I completely disagree, unless the father was not in the girl's life.
Re: Who Should Give Out A Woman In Marriage? by blessonyii: 1:18pm On Nov 22, 2010
Tradition demand that the father should be the one to give out the daughter in marriage or an elderly person should do that if the father is late. but it must be a man.
Re: Who Should Give Out A Woman In Marriage? by ZIMDRILL(m): 6:42pm On Nov 22, 2010
this one doesnt need rocket science

when you ask a woman to marry you tell the father this is almost allover the world whatever the west, africa, asia etc

and beside her saying yes the father also agrees with it

so the father is the one who gives away his daughter

just like your mum's father did when your mother got married

(1) (2) (Reply)

Your Perspective On This Family Issue / My Wife’s Salary Was A Mystery Until I Discovered How Much She’s Truly Worth / Would U Accept Him Back

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.