Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,702 members, 7,951,894 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 06:46 AM

How To Write A Great Book in Nigeria - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How To Write A Great Book in Nigeria (435 Views)

How To Write A Great Resignation Letter Sample / Longrich 30billion Team (a Great Career To Build On) / How Much Will It Cost To Write TOEFL In Nigeria? Help Me With Materials Too (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How To Write A Great Book in Nigeria by Manicle: 9:13pm On Nov 06, 2019
The rate of books that are made into movies nowadays is highly increasing, and the rate at which books, especially hardcopy are consumed these days has decreased. Yet, people don't joke with good books. Even the person who doesn't like reading sticks to a book that catches their attention. What's the secret?

Simple. Everyone is craving for something new - even you. And they will do anything and pay any amount to have it.

Let's explore some of the ways to make your book unique.

Create a Niche

Niche is like a shop in a market. A distinct one that is known for a particular product different from all others. In the same way people won't consume same meal three times a day, they won't be so interested in reading same genre, same storyline, same style of writing, same flavor, over and over again. So, what's your niche? What's the thing that makes you different from all others?

Here is how to determine the niche you want to go into. You'll ask yourself these few questions: What kind of a writer am I? What genre do I prefer writing on? What's my style of writing?

These questions and many more select you out of the very many writers and your book from very many books. It makes it easier for people to find your book and consume it.

To make answering those questions easier, and help yourself towards writing a unique book, look for something that's never been done before. Research other books in your field and on your subject so that you can find out what is missing from the marketplace. Fill that gap with something new, something different...something unique.

Tell Uncommon Stories

A book is remembered first for its stories. Some books just won't leave our minds, right? Among the books that made it to the top ten most-read books universally are Harry Porter, Alice in Wonderland, The Lord of The Rings, A Tale of Two Cities, etc.

These books have some things in common: good storyline, uniqueness, and adventure. People easily fall for that. So it is wise for you to follow the footsteps of great books if you want yours to stand right beside them in the future. Write something different.

So how do you come up with something different? Unlearn. Learn. Relearn. If you don't unlearn, the ideas that will jump on your mind are most likely the ones you have previously fed yourself with. And before you know it, you are writing another Nollywood story.

This is why if you are a writer, you've got to fancy consistent learning of new things, reading of histories, watching documentaries, buying magazines, watching adventurous movies, traveling to cities and countries and countrysides you've never been before. Reading other people's books can also stimulate new ideas.

Create your Style of writing and stick to it.

This is simply the 'how' of writing. So you might want to ask yourself the following questions:
Is my writing direct and simple, or is it funny? Is the grammar good enough? How is the use/play of words? If you are not so acquainted with these, I'll strongly suggest you baptize yourself in the school of writing.

Learn writing techniques, if possible, review people's books, before delving into writing your unique book. When you finally create your style of writing, build on it and more importantly, stick to it. When you meet Francine Rivers or Dan Brown, there is this aura you get. And that's owing to their style of writing.

Test Your Idea

Another way to ensure your book is unique is to test your ideas through other platforms. Throw it up stylishly on social media platforms including Facebook and blog; study people's reactions and feedback. By this, you'll know if your idea is good to fly on print or not. Good criticism can only make a book better.

Get a Professional Editor

Even if you are personally an editor, you still need a professional editor’s eye for grammar and punctuation. Nothing will make your book sink to the bottom of the pile like poor editing or no editing at all. A good editor will use a keen eye to make sure your book is correct and consistent and that your personal style, your voice, and your story come together in a way that is engaging for your readers.

Be Deliberate About your Book Cover

This may not totally concern you though. It is specifically for book designers, yet the essence cannot be overemphasized. The first temptation a person yields to on picking up a book is what catches the eye. If your book has some sort of red background cover with only title and name, you don't expect yours to catch the buyer's attention faster than one whose book is more pictorial and graphical in looks.

Creatively Title your book

After the book cover design, the title catches people's attention the most. The title is like the shortest summary of a book. Your title must both capsule the message in the book and at the same time be unique. It must be something that gets people thinking and wanting to read. Let your book title make people curious.

Some writers often have a clash of interest here when it comes to titling a book. While the writer is struggling to get a title that captures the essence of the book, marketers are thinking of a title that can capture the attention of people.

Write an Exciting Book Cover Copy

When readers pick up your book, how do they decide whether or not to open it up? For most readers, they turn to the back cover of the book to read that little 'About The Book' which tells them whether or not the book might transport them to a world they want to explore. Are these characters exciting enough? Do they have problems the reader will care to see solved? Does the cover copy create for the reader curiosity to know more?

It doesn't cost more to write a unique book. It only takes more creativity and sensitivity and a lot of thinking. Some though face several challenges in writing a book, and I have discussed that in my other article both on this website and on our company's blog www.manicle..com

Some of the common challenges faced in writing
a good book is viz:

Some have a good book in their head but how to make it into a book is difficult. Some just don't know how to put in words their thoughts. Some are affected by procrastination. Some is a lack of commitment or focus. If you ever need help in any of those areas, simply contact me directly via WhatsApp text or call on this number +2347080225737. And before you say jack, you are an author. Thank you for reading thus far. It means a lot to me.

(1) (Reply)

How Corona Virus Is Affecting Economies & What You Can Do To Be Financially Safe / Canadian-styled Resume for 25k / CBN Vacancy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.