Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,319 members, 7,881,178 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 01:54 PM

U.s Report Indicts Atiku On $40 Million Money Laundering - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / U.s Report Indicts Atiku On $40 Million Money Laundering (1941 Views)

Ministerial Screening: Fashola Indicts Himself Before The Senate / Audit Report Indicts NNPC, Corporation To Refund $1.48billion / Atiku On The Reported Registration Of New Party (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

U.s Report Indicts Atiku On $40 Million Money Laundering by monkeyleg: 8:21pm On Nov 15, 2010
advertisement

Atiku

A United States Senate report has accused Atiku Abubakar, Nigeria’s former Vice-President, of laundering over $40 million in suspicious funds into the United States between 2000 and 2008. And his partner in the lucrative effort was Jennifer Douglas, his fourth wife. Ms. Douglas is sometimes known as Lady Jamilah Jennifer, or Douglas E, or Jennifer Iwenjora, the name by which she was known in the 1980s when she was a reporter with the Nigeria Television Authority in Lagos. According to the report, which was written by the Senate Subcommittee on Investigations, most of the funds were through wire transfers sent by offshore corporations to U.S. bank accounts.

Of the $40 million identified in the US investigation, $25 million was reportedly wire-transferred by offshore corporations into more than 30 U.S. bank accounts opened by Ms. Douglas, primarily by Guernsey Trust Company Nigeria Ltd., LetsGo Ltd. Inc., and Sima Holding Ltd.

“In a 2008 civil complaint, the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission alleged that Ms. Douglas received over $2 million in bribe payments in 2001 and 2002, from Siemens AG, a major German
corporation,” the report says. “While Ms. Douglas denies wrongdoing, Siemens has already pled (pleaded) guilty to U.S. criminal charges and settled civil charges related to bribery and told the Subcommittee that it sent the payments to one of her U.S. accounts.

The report also recalls the 2006/2007 corruption brouhaha in Nigeria between Abubakar and then President Olusegun Obasanjo over the Petroleum Technology Development Fund. At that time, both a government panel and an Economic and Financial Crimes Commission panel found Atiku guilty of diverting funds meant for the Fund's operations nationwide to various banks to promote his private interests. Obasanjo dismissed his own extensive gains from the account as pointed out by Abubakar as mere "gifts" over which he had no control.
http://www.pointblanknews.com/os2831.htm
The report goes on: “The U.S. banks maintaining those accounts were, at times, unaware of her PEP (Politically Exposed Person) status, and they allowed multiple, large offshore wire transfers into her accounts. As each bank began to question the offshore wire transfers, Ms. Douglas indicated that all of the funds came from her husband and professed little familiarity with the offshore corporations actually sending her money. When one bank closed her account due to the offshore wire transfers, her lawyer helped convince other banks to provide a new account.

”In addition, two of the offshore corporations wire transferred about $14 million over five years to American University in Washington, D.C., to pay for consulting services related to the development of a Nigerian university founded by Mr. Abubakar. American University accepted the wire transfers without asking about the identity of the offshore corporations or the source of their funds, because under current law, the University had no legal obligation to inquire.”
http://www.pointblanknews.com/os2831.html
Re: U.s Report Indicts Atiku On $40 Million Money Laundering by monkeyleg: 8:24pm On Nov 15, 2010
what a country.
Presidential aspirants indicted of money laundering
Governorship aspirant kicked out of government house and accused of election malpractice

Only in Nigeria
Re: U.s Report Indicts Atiku On $40 Million Money Laundering by realdon(m): 8:50pm On Nov 15, 2010
Is not coming as a news anyway, Nigeria has the history of being ruled by criminals and rogues because Nigerians allow them(few criminals) to loot our treasury and use same loot to as tips to buy Nigerians votes. This is bcs many Nigerian have condemn themselves to faith that they have no control over their own lives talkless of national issues that affect them. The belief is that lets take the peanut(half bread is better than none)  and leave them to continue to loot and terrorise us with the loot.

For Nigeria to move forward, people like Abubakar, IBB, Obj, Gbenga Daniels, Omishore & so on should not be allowed to even campaign talkless of contesting and winning/rigging elections.

NIGERIANS, OUR DESTINY IS IN OUR OWN HANDS.
Re: U.s Report Indicts Atiku On $40 Million Money Laundering by Omenani(m): 8:52pm On Nov 15, 2010
Then he should face charges. I know the Nigerian government is not willing to pursue these criminals, but other nations will. When will we as a nation, stop defending and supporting these criminals? They are the ones who are keeping our nation from progressing.
Re: U.s Report Indicts Atiku On $40 Million Money Laundering by blacksta(m): 8:56pm On Nov 15, 2010
Blood must be spilt for the rot to stop - If you expect anything otherwise you are big fool.
Re: U.s Report Indicts Atiku On $40 Million Money Laundering by redsun(m): 9:04pm On Nov 15, 2010
A contact of mine witnesed that same woman,atiku's mistress in campany of her maid, spent over $9.000 cash on cloths at one go in NORDSTROM george town washington DC in 1999. I didn't know about atiku then but it was confirmed she is d mistress of our VP
Re: U.s Report Indicts Atiku On $40 Million Money Laundering by Kobojunkie: 9:06pm On Nov 15, 2010
$9000 at Nordstrom, in 1999 . . . arrrggghhh!!!!!
Re: U.s Report Indicts Atiku On $40 Million Money Laundering by Omenani(m): 9:09pm On Nov 15, 2010
I can only weep for this country, until I can weep no more. This is a pure shame.
Re: U.s Report Indicts Atiku On $40 Million Money Laundering by jumobi1(m): 9:10pm On Nov 15, 2010
Kobojunkie:

$9000 at Nordstrom, in 1999  . . .  arrrggghhh!!!!!

Wives of VPs can afford that. I don't see the big deal but Atiku is still a bastard sha. These guys have no mercy. They want to suck Nigeria dry when millions are suffering.
Re: U.s Report Indicts Atiku On $40 Million Money Laundering by redsun(m): 9:10pm On Nov 15, 2010
My witnesses are still alive and nordstrom could still ve d CCTV coverage in their archive.
Re: U.s Report Indicts Atiku On $40 Million Money Laundering by aljharem(m): 9:14pm On Nov 15, 2010
shame cry cry cry cry

i think he should face the music alone angry angry angry
Re: U.s Report Indicts Atiku On $40 Million Money Laundering by Blazay(m): 9:15pm On Nov 15, 2010
Only $40 million? shocked Chump change

The timing is "suspect". wink
God's time according to EFCC is the very best for sure. grin

Why can't these same financial criminal be prosecuted in Nigeria? wink

His accomplice has since been jailed in the US, what is Nigeria waiting for?

Anyway, I don't know what the bru ha ha is all about.
For you to be a Nigerian or a Nigerian politician for that matter,
It is imperative you are a financial criminal.

MOST of the governors in Nigeria are ex-convicts inside and outside Nigeria.
Most had pled their ways our of criminal sentences abroad.

So, I ask again what is the big deal here?

No wonder IBB got the Arewa ticket. Atiku was blackmailed with this piece of dirty laundry. I knew there was more to the story.

OBJ wins again. His juju is really strong. grin
Re: U.s Report Indicts Atiku On $40 Million Money Laundering by aljharem(m): 9:16pm On Nov 15, 2010
Blazay:

The timing is "suspect". wink
Why can't these same financial criminal be prosecuted in Nigeria? wink

gbam, nigeria law system is just jokes angry
Re: U.s Report Indicts Atiku On $40 Million Money Laundering by redsun(m): 9:16pm On Nov 15, 2010
$9.000 just like that on few cloths,even Bill Gate's wife will think twice b-4 dishing out like that.
Re: U.s Report Indicts Atiku On $40 Million Money Laundering by lyfe(m): 9:18pm On Nov 15, 2010
realdon:

For Nigeria to move forward, people like Abubakar, IBB, Obj, Gbenga Daniels, Omishore & so on should not be allowed to even campaign talkless of contesting and winning/rigging elections.

NIGERIANS, OUR DESTINY IS IN OUR OWN HANDS.
You forgot to add GEJ

Why is this news coming out at a time like this, this must be the antics of the opponents and contenders.

redsun:

A contact of mine witnesed that same woman,atiku's mistress in campany of her maid, spent over $9.000 cash on cloths at one go in NORDSTROM george town washington DC in 1999. I didn't know about atiku then but it was confirmed she is d mistress of our VP

I thought they said the dude was a gay shocked
Re: U.s Report Indicts Atiku On $40 Million Money Laundering by Kobojunkie: 9:18pm On Nov 15, 2010
jumobi1:

Wives of VPs can afford that. I don't see the big deal but Atiku is still a naughty person sha. These guys have no mercy. They want to suck Nigeria dry when millions are suffering.

You don't see the big deal? What do you think would happen today( in 2010) if wife of United States President, or the VP went on such a shopping spree? You believe it won't be a big deal too or are you just in a rush to respond to my post there just for the heck of it?
Re: U.s Report Indicts Atiku On $40 Million Money Laundering by jumobi1(m): 9:21pm On Nov 15, 2010
Kobojunkie:

You don't see the big deal? What do you think would happen today( in 2010) if wife of United States President went on such a shopping spree?
No I don't see the big deal if a President's wife sends $9000 on clothes. Even if its just a few. If Obama's wife spends $9000 on a few clothes, it won't be a big deal. I do think Atiku belongs in jail but spending $9000 on clothing doesn't necessarily = stealing.
Re: U.s Report Indicts Atiku On $40 Million Money Laundering by redsun(m): 9:21pm On Nov 15, 2010
Nodstrom staffs thought she war a street pharmacist(drug dealer) hence their inquisitiveness in findiog out who she was.
Re: U.s Report Indicts Atiku On $40 Million Money Laundering by keyremotes(m): 9:26pm On Nov 15, 2010
And in the same country millions go to bed without a meal every night.
Re: U.s Report Indicts Atiku On $40 Million Money Laundering by Blazay(m): 9:31pm On Nov 15, 2010
http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201001111555696

Obasanjo to invest in Ethiopia 
By Femi Adetunji with agency report   
Monday, 11 Jan 2010   

Former Nigerian President, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo, has concluded plans to invest in the hotel and tourism sector of Ethiopia.

Obasanjo, who secured a 2,000 square metres of land near Bishoftu (Debre Zeit) town of Oromia Region called Ada about two months ago, would soon implement his investment plans on the land located 50 kilometres east of the capital -Addis Ababa, www.newbusinessethiopia.com, said.

Obasanjo’s intention to invest in Bishoftu came after Djibouti’s President, Ismael Omar Guelleh, acquired about 10,000 square metres of land last year to build a holiday home in Bishoftu and also bought 3,000 square metres of land for agricultural purposes in Bale, Oromia Region of the country.

It was gathered that the approval of the new master plan, which took place last year has attracted many investors into the town, which has eight lakes.

Betcha this costs more than $40 million dollars. But who wants to know.
Lessons learned.
Do not contest for Nigerian elections if you have been caught with your hands in the "cookie jar".

Aluta continua!
Re: U.s Report Indicts Atiku On $40 Million Money Laundering by redsun(m): 9:37pm On Nov 15, 2010
Nah today?We know these guys are criminals setting us back, yet we still think they are relevant even to d point of discussing who among dem thieves to vote in a suppose progressive forum like nairaland.
Re: U.s Report Indicts Atiku On $40 Million Money Laundering by realdon(m): 9:38pm On Nov 15, 2010
Millions of Nigerians are jobless as depicted by the picture of over 60,000 Nigerian that were writing NDLEA test while standing under the sun, even thou only few of them would be taken as successful.  Despite this Atiku is busy wiring $40m out of the country and he wants to rule us; IBB stole and took away the Gulf Oil windfall of $12billion & he has the confidence that he can use part of the money to buy our vote so that he can damage/impoverish our economy further; All the criminals called senators/honourable are busy making legislations that make them the highest paid lawmakers in the world while we have no water, no light, no road, no job for the youth & many of them want to come back.

The truth is that Nigeria is in trouble except we stop all these people and stop "praying without working" Nigeria believe so much in the statement "God would save us; as long as we are alive, lets be managing".  SUFFERING & SMILING!
Re: U.s Report Indicts Atiku On $40 Million Money Laundering by Kobojunkie: 9:41pm On Nov 15, 2010
Why does it take a US investigation for this to come to light. Why did the EFCC not catch this itself? Why has the same EFCC done next to nothing about the evidence linking Obasanjo to the halliburton scandal other than try to get someone else to pay for him?
Re: U.s Report Indicts Atiku On $40 Million Money Laundering by Omenani(m): 9:43pm On Nov 15, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Why does it take a US investigation for this to come to light. Why did the EFCC not catch this itself? Why has the same EFCC done next to nothing about the evidence linking Obasanjo to the halliburton scandal other than try to get someone else to pay for him?

These are the type of questions we should be all asking! We should not have to wait till the West tells us that they are criminals. The fact in the matter is that we already know.
Re: U.s Report Indicts Atiku On $40 Million Money Laundering by monkeyleg: 9:44pm On Nov 15, 2010
@jumobi1,

It is a big deal when the 4th wife of a them poor wretched ex-cutoms man turn VP spend $9000 cash in one go. It will raise eyebrows no matter where.

I continue to say it that the present administration does not have the balls to clean up the system. There is no way that this sort of information would be out there and Atiku would be walking free, even thinkin of running for president, in a semi-sane society.

We need someone with no ties to PDP, who is prepared to sanitise the whole country and vigorously go after these guys
Re: U.s Report Indicts Atiku On $40 Million Money Laundering by Omenani(m): 9:46pm On Nov 15, 2010
monkeyleg:

I continue to say it that the present administration does not have the balls to clean up the system. There is no way that this sort of information would be out there and Atiku would be walking free, even thinkin of running for president, in a semi-sane society.

The whole system needs to be overhauled. We can start by not supporting PDP. Nothing good can come from supporting PDP. In a civilized nation, this man would be locked and his property confiscated. However, in Nigeria, he is able to run for president. This does not make sense to me. It just makes me angry when I think about it.
Re: U.s Report Indicts Atiku On $40 Million Money Laundering by monkeyleg: 9:48pm On Nov 15, 2010
See, but are these not the sort of question NLC and Co should be asking.

Corruption has eaten so deep into the fabric of our society that we are prepared to sift through all the chaff to find best of the criminals to lead us. What a country
Re: U.s Report Indicts Atiku On $40 Million Money Laundering by DisGuy: 9:58pm On Nov 15, 2010
I continue to say it that the present administration does not have the balls to clean up the system.

Too true!!

under this new guy they have been no new prosecution or conviction, it's almost as if there's no corruption going on again in fact there's been no mention of the fight against corruption from the FG just election election elections  undecided
Re: U.s Report Indicts Atiku On $40 Million Money Laundering by Beaf: 10:00pm On Nov 15, 2010
That leaves IBB as consensus candidate.
Re: U.s Report Indicts Atiku On $40 Million Money Laundering by monkeyleg: 10:14pm On Nov 15, 2010
I cant understand why people believe that PDP must produce the next president? It smells like political Laziness to me. If you want change go and fight for it. Sitting down and sifting through dirty chaff to find some semblance of purity smacks of downright Laziness.
Re: U.s Report Indicts Atiku On $40 Million Money Laundering by jumobi1(m): 10:22pm On Nov 15, 2010
No one Nigerian can tackle corruption. PDP or not. Not even Ribadu. Where was he when Atiku was wiring? We need a revolution. One person fighting corruption will die.
Re: U.s Report Indicts Atiku On $40 Million Money Laundering by Blazay(m): 10:29pm On Nov 15, 2010
Beaf:

That leaves IBB as consensus candidate.

Wham.
The dude does not even have to leave Minna anymore.
Do we still want the North to secede? wink
Southerners, try your luck.
May the force be with you all.

The winner is IBB.
Kei! Only in Nigeria.
A nation of cowards. cry

OBJ wins again.
What an evil genius.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is This Man The Ugliest Politician? / Wikileak On Jonathan (nigeria President) / A Nigeria Without Oil

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.