Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,192,946 members, 7,949,253 topics. Date: Saturday, 14 September 2024 at 11:52 PM

Demolishing Oyo Torture Centre Will Be Terrible – Oyo Muslims Warn Makinde - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Demolishing Oyo Torture Centre Will Be Terrible – Oyo Muslims Warn Makinde (3064 Views)

Oyo Muslims Protest In Solidarity Rally With Palestinians / Makinde's Christianization Agenda Will Fail, Vote Him Out - MURIC to Oyo Muslims / Oyo Muslims Protest In Support Of Palestinians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Demolishing Oyo Torture Centre Will Be Terrible – Oyo Muslims Warn Makinde by Pantoo: 6:54pm On Nov 10, 2019
A group, Muslim Community of Oyo State (MUSCOYS), have warned Governor Seyi Makinde over the planned demolishing of the torture centre discovered in the state.

According to the chairman of MUSCOYS, Alhaji Ishaq Kunle Sanni, the centre has been there for over 50 years and it is registered with the government as a rehabilitation centre, contrary to the claims by the Police and the state government, that it was operating illegally, Daily Post reports.

Sanni said,

“I cannot talk for Kaduna. I don’t live in Kaduna. I don’t know what has happened there. But for Olore, that place has been there for over 50 years and it is registered with the government as a rehabilitation centre. It is possible they [owners of the centre] have been a little ruthless or crude in the way they treat the inmates but one thing is clear: there is not a single person in that place that was not brought there either by the parents or the guardians.

“It is when they [children] go haywire in their behavioural patterns – whether they become drug addicts, armed robbers, area boys or whatever – and the parents are not comfortable that they are brought to that Olore rehabilitation centre.

Sanni, while speaking further maintained that it is the parents of the inmates that brought their wayward children to the centre for rehabilitation and not that the operators pick them on the streets as claimed by some individuals who have commented on the issue.

“If the government, or the police, does a thorough investigation, they will find that even there are non-Muslims brought in there by their parents. And a lot of them, after staying for some time there, become refined, you know, good members of the society. Some of them [people who had been inmates at the centre] are now medical doctors, pharmacists, engineers and so on and so forth. Even if need be, one can point to them. And some people are even making arrangements to come together as alumni and do a press conference to show that they were reformed at that place.

“I am not saying that maybe they have not gone into excess in the way they [the inmates] are being treated ‘inhumanly’, but for the government or the police to go to the extent of saying they would demolish the house of Olore, which is part and parcel of the rehabilitation centre, I think, it is going too far and I am sure it will not go down well with the Muslim community. They have different sections there.

“Some of these boys and girls are very violent and so they [the operators of the centre] need to go the extra mile to chain them in order to get the rehabilitation done. And they do a lot of spiritual activities in terms of praying for them and the rest of it so that they could get them to become good and patriotic citizens of the country. Some of them, like I have told you, have become in terms of manner; they have made success stories of their lives. So, I don’t think they should throw away the baby and the bathwater. It is a different scenario from where they say they [the inmates] are being raped and whatnots. That place is a real rehabilitation centre that is using the Islamic touch.

“There might be certain things that are inhuman and that kind of stuff but, so the government should just come in and make sure that they reorient them so that the excesses that are being committed, I am not too sure, I have not been there, would be corrected. But the issue of saying the government will demolish or eradicate that centre, I don’t think, is in the best interest of the society at large. Those inmates will say anything because they don’t want to be there. It is like a prison yard, and somebody who is in prison, if he has a way of escaping would escape. So, they can say all sorts of things that they are being maltreated but it is a real rehabilitation and reformation centre as far as the Muslim community is concerned. That is our position.

“That is why I said they might have been too crude in taking care of them [the inmates] and those are the excesses that should be corrected and not to completely annihilate that structure and the whole idea of the rehabilitation centre.

“I want to add that the parents [of the inmates] pay. If you take your wards there, you have to pay for them to be fed. There should be a real investigation of what is going on there [at the centre]. The government should not take a harsh decision. That place also houses the wives and children of the owner of the place.

“I have seen the photographs of some of the inmates that look over haggard. These are the corrections they need to do. We all know that even policemen, when they catch criminals, they do some torturing in order to get information or get them to admit to what they have done. And that is exactly what I say; that there are some of the inmates that are very violent and part of the reformation is to also treat them harshly so that they can behave”.

Re: Demolishing Oyo Torture Centre Will Be Terrible – Oyo Muslims Warn Makinde by Nobody: 6:57pm On Nov 10, 2019
Toor

1 Like

Re: Demolishing Oyo Torture Centre Will Be Terrible – Oyo Muslims Warn Makinde by naijaking1: 7:02pm On Nov 10, 2019
Rehabilitation is a medical specialty that should not be run from a religious point of view, but by trained medical professionals. this is 2019, not 1600 AD.
Good job Gov Makinde!

22 Likes

Re: Demolishing Oyo Torture Centre Will Be Terrible – Oyo Muslims Warn Makinde by aolawale025: 7:02pm On Nov 10, 2019
There will always be the other alternative

2 Likes

Re: Demolishing Oyo Torture Centre Will Be Terrible – Oyo Muslims Warn Makinde by Paperwhite(m): 7:02pm On Nov 10, 2019
See these oppressive and barbaric humanity.So the torture or reminiscence of it should continue?

7 Likes

Re: Demolishing Oyo Torture Centre Will Be Terrible – Oyo Muslims Warn Makinde by Abdul05: 7:05pm On Nov 10, 2019
I'm sure it "ll not go down well with the muslim community. They have different sections here.meaning that they earned their living out from it.

1 Like

Re: Demolishing Oyo Torture Centre Will Be Terrible – Oyo Muslims Warn Makinde by Nobody: 7:16pm On Nov 10, 2019
Lol.

I knew quite well these guys are still living in stone age.

West/north has dragged and put the development of this nation to standstill on the altar of religious beliefs.

America must be great
make America great again.

1 Like

Re: Demolishing Oyo Torture Centre Will Be Terrible – Oyo Muslims Warn Makinde by OKKO(m): 7:19pm On Nov 10, 2019
How many physiotherapists are employed there?
Even psychologist etc.

Government should either demolish the sham or take over the operation, so that it can be regulated.

5 Likes

Re: Demolishing Oyo Torture Centre Will Be Terrible – Oyo Muslims Warn Makinde by tayebest(m): 7:19pm On Nov 10, 2019
I watched a documentary where a girl revealed she was flogged 350 strokes of cane shocked because she smokes cigarettes sad

That's barbaric! cry

The government should find a way of reforming the rehabilitation centre rather than demolishing it.
i think that will be better!

3 Likes

Re: Demolishing Oyo Torture Centre Will Be Terrible – Oyo Muslims Warn Makinde by Nobody: 7:39pm On Nov 10, 2019
Nigerians!

Religion and politics have blinded Nigerians to the extent of seeing black and calling it white. Some guys were earlier praising Sanusi Lamido for wrongly castigating Kano parents instead of the Anambra kidnappers.

And in this matter, I don't think that the person who delivered the statement ever tried to listen to himself. Because their parents brought them there, does this fact absolve the torturers?

Does the fact that a woman invited an assassin to kill her husband absolve the killer?

1 Like

Re: Demolishing Oyo Torture Centre Will Be Terrible – Oyo Muslims Warn Makinde by LegendHero(m): 7:54pm On Nov 10, 2019
Re: Demolishing Oyo Torture Centre Will Be Terrible – Oyo Muslims Warn Makinde by LegendHero(m): 7:56pm On Nov 10, 2019
Makinde should proceed to demolish it. It has outlived its importance and there is no bleeping need for a detention center at this age and time.

They should not heat up the polity and the Governor should not even give it a second thought. Pull that structure down and any more of it that still exists.

2 Likes

Re: Demolishing Oyo Torture Centre Will Be Terrible – Oyo Muslims Warn Makinde by Nobody: 7:59pm On Nov 10, 2019
Is there no hope for Nigeria again?

1 Like

Re: Demolishing Oyo Torture Centre Will Be Terrible – Oyo Muslims Warn Makinde by Chubhie: 7:59pm On Nov 10, 2019
Nigeria government approach is to demolish the place and send the inmates back to their parents /society.

1 Like

Re: Demolishing Oyo Torture Centre Will Be Terrible – Oyo Muslims Warn Makinde by tartar9(m): 8:01pm On Nov 10, 2019
naijaking1:
Rehabilitation is a medical specialty that should not be run from a religious point of view, but by trained medical professionals. this is 2019, not 1600 AD.
Good job Gov Makinde!
Why still demolish the building even after the activities has been stopped undecided
That doesn't make sense.
Unless the structure was illegally built,the governor simply has no right to do so.

1 Like

Re: Demolishing Oyo Torture Centre Will Be Terrible – Oyo Muslims Warn Makinde by Wiseandtrue(f): 8:05pm On Nov 10, 2019
Pantoo:

A group, Muslim Community of Oyo State (MUSCOYS), have warned Governor Seyi Makinde over the planned demolishing of the torture centre discovered in the state.

“I am not saying that maybe they have not gone into excess in the way they [the inmates] are being treated ‘inhumanly’, but for the government or the police to go to the extent of saying they would demolish the house of Olore, which is part and parcel of the rehabilitation centre, I think, it is going too far and I am sure it will not go down well with the Muslim community. They have different sections there.
I really don't understand, what's the Muslim business with the rehab

1 Like

Re: Demolishing Oyo Torture Centre Will Be Terrible – Oyo Muslims Warn Makinde by Bankowner: 8:24pm On Nov 10, 2019
tayebest:
The government should find a way of reforming the rehabilitation centre rather than demolishing it.
i think that will be better!
Rehabilitate the rehabilitation centre you might want to say.
Re: Demolishing Oyo Torture Centre Will Be Terrible – Oyo Muslims Warn Makinde by Bola146(f): 8:55pm On Nov 10, 2019
Scatter the place jare... Useless people.. non of their kids and families are not there.

1 Like

Re: Demolishing Oyo Torture Centre Will Be Terrible – Oyo Muslims Warn Makinde by Kapilta(m): 9:08pm On Nov 10, 2019
naijaking1:
Good job Gov Makinde!
islam doesn't use the gregory calendar so it's likely they are in 1400. And mind you, it's their religion, it accept it. So leave them alone and do their thing.

The govt should only watch the excesses. I support the man 100%. I say no to demolition of the centre.
Re: Demolishing Oyo Torture Centre Will Be Terrible – Oyo Muslims Warn Makinde by walexbiz(m): 9:15pm On Nov 10, 2019
I disagree completely with the governor of Oyo state who is hell-bent on destroying the facility. if our health institutions are properly run and maintained parent won't need to subject their ward to such treatment from the facility. My opinion is that government should create an alternative to this facility while also helping the owners of the facility to reform their practice instead of destroying it.

1 Like

Re: Demolishing Oyo Torture Centre Will Be Terrible – Oyo Muslims Warn Makinde by Vision2ae: 11:21pm On Nov 10, 2019
rehabilitation center or RADICALIZATION CENTRE.... abeg scatter the whole thing

2 Likes

Re: Demolishing Oyo Torture Centre Will Be Terrible – Oyo Muslims Warn Makinde by naijaking1: 11:56pm On Nov 10, 2019
tartar9:

Why still demolish the building even after the activities has been stopped undecided
That doesn't make sense.
Unless the structure was illegally built,the governor simply has no right to do so.

Demolishing the building is not enough, the proprietors should be locked up too

2 Likes

Re: Demolishing Oyo Torture Centre Will Be Terrible – Oyo Muslims Warn Makinde by aminusodiq(m): 12:00am On Nov 11, 2019
Olajumoke11:
Toor
rubber ti ja bayiio ooo
Re: Demolishing Oyo Torture Centre Will Be Terrible – Oyo Muslims Warn Makinde by TooMuchStuff: 12:06am On Nov 11, 2019
What's happening with my people of Oyorubaa?

Haba, wetin naaa?
Re: Demolishing Oyo Torture Centre Will Be Terrible – Oyo Muslims Warn Makinde by ogbuefi677(m): 12:14am On Nov 11, 2019
Centre for eradication of innovation people done come again oooo

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Demolishing Oyo Torture Centre Will Be Terrible – Oyo Muslims Warn Makinde by Nobody: 2:03am On Nov 11, 2019
Is that a threat or are these guy trying to enslave everyone around here...
Re: Demolishing Oyo Torture Centre Will Be Terrible – Oyo Muslims Warn Makinde by dominique(f): 3:21am On Nov 11, 2019
Why must people undergo torture in the name of rehabilitation?
Re: Demolishing Oyo Torture Centre Will Be Terrible – Oyo Muslims Warn Makinde by justfash50: 3:35am On Nov 11, 2019
Those castigating the owners of the rehabilitation centre should be guided and not create more trouble to the society.

Your Government does not have the facilities to cater for the numbers of those facing such challenges; it will be wise to REGULATE and not create untold hardship to the society..............be ready to accommodate one in your area.
Re: Demolishing Oyo Torture Centre Will Be Terrible – Oyo Muslims Warn Makinde by StaffofOrayan(m): 3:53am On Nov 11, 2019
justfash50:
Those castigating the owners of the rehabilitation centre should be guided and not create more trouble to the society.

Your Government does not have the facilities to cater for the numbers of those facing such challenges; it will be wise to REGULATE and not create untold hardship to the society..............be ready to accommodate one in your area.

Parents should take care of their frigging kids!!!
Re: Demolishing Oyo Torture Centre Will Be Terrible – Oyo Muslims Warn Makinde by Nobody: 5:44am On Nov 11, 2019
shocked

Hmmmnn

This people again

Na wa o
Re: Demolishing Oyo Torture Centre Will Be Terrible – Oyo Muslims Warn Makinde by Bari22: 7:31am On Nov 11, 2019
For Muslims~Torture centre For Christians ~Rehab centre
Nigerian Media is a Christian media

(1) (2) (Reply)

David Lyon Visits Jonathan Again, After Collecting His Certificate Of Return / EMEKA IHEDIOHA SET TO DECAMP FROM PDP TO APC IN IMO STATE / Imo Massacre: Northerners Lament On Twitter (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.